Zadina

StarCraft Celebrates 20 Years With Rewards in All Blizzard Games

Sign in to follow this  

28 posts in this topic

WiD4GwF.jpg

The StarCraft franchise turns 20 years old this month and Blizzard is celebrating with rewards in all of its titles!

It only seems like it was a few years ago, but StarCraft was first released on March 31, 1998. Since then, it's made a breakthrough in the real-time strategy genre and, in my opinion, it has one of the most compelling and well-written storylines of all Blizzard games. StarCraft II, a sequel with three expansions, followed many years afterwards, with Wings of Liberty being released in 2010. We've recently introduced a brand new StarCraft II section here in Icy Veins.

Anyway, back to the 20-year StarCraft anniversary celebrations, on March 30 and 31 there will be an anniversary live stream on Twitch with multiple StarCraft personalities. A special documentary called StarCraft Is Life: A Celebration will also be released on YouTube on the last day of March.

Moreover, rewards will be given away in all Blizzard games. Starting with StarCraft: Remastered, which was released six months ago, you can get a new commemorative 20th Anniversary UI skin from March 6.

rewards-game-image-starcraft-b5cf1c88dd5

Log in between March 6 and April 3 in StarCraft II to receive special UI skins for each race, a Portrait and Decal.

rewards-game-image-starcraft2-38f2c52440

Diablo III players will get a nice-looking pet. Simply log in after March 6 to receive the monstrous Dominion's Revenge!

rewards-game-image-diablo3-2c6966c00099a

Overwatch's Widowmaker already has a Nova skin and now it's time for her to receive a skin from another icon StarCraft heroine. From March 6 until April 3, you can claim the Sarah Kerrigan Ghost skin.

rewards-game-image-overwatch-f1481920180

Play Heroes of the Storm between March 27 and April 7 to receive three original StarCraft themed portraits for Protoss, Terran and Zerg. There are also heavy rumours of a new StarCraft hero and a new StarCraft-themed Brawl coming in HotS near the end of the month.

rewards-game-image-heroesofthestorm-e138

Hearthstone players will get a special StarCraft Tavern Brawl during the week of March 21 - March 25. Playing this Tavern Brawl will secure 3 packs from the most recent expansion, Kobolds & Catacombs.

rewards-game-image-hearthstone-b0731fd2f

Lastly, World of Warcraft seems to have the most obscure and perhaps disappointing reward. Between March 31 and April 6 there will be multiple StarCraft companion pets (Zergling, Grunty, Mini Thor, Baneling, or Zeradar) strolling around in WoW. Simply /salute one of these pets and you get a Feat of Strength. I wonder: could these pets become available in the Shop at some point or could we get at least one of them for free?

rewards-game-image-worldofwarcraft-94678

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I never understood why showering players with cosmetic stuff is called a reward :D

But I'm glad we don't get another card back in HS, the 3 packs are nice :)

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

I never understood why showering players with cosmetic stuff is called a reward :D

It's a better reward than nothing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SteveFrost said:

FENIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX (and Kaldalis) please

Fenix as the next multi class hero!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

Is good stuff, free and otherwise unobtanaible, so is a nice reward to me hehe :p

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

3 hours ago, Orshova said:

It's a better reward than nothing.

1 hour ago, Amit said:

Is good stuff, free and otherwise unobtanaible, so is a nice reward to me hehe :p

I think what he meant was giving us something for free with out doing anything to earn it shouldn't be considered a reward, it's more of a gift, still ether way its always nice to get something for nothing especially when its for stuff we enjoy.

Edited by BlakeArmentrout
  • Like 4

Thank you, yea well maybe they see it as giving us a reward for buying starcraft and sc2 etc. making them so damn rich so they thought why not give them something in return, well it's not worth billions of dollars like we made with starcraft but it keeps them happy :D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

Because you trick stupid customers with the illusion of giving them something important or good while in fact it costs you almost nothing.

Blizz is all about the right marketing at  the right people

9 hours ago, BlakeArmentrout said:

I think what he meant was giving us something for free with out doing anything to earn it shouldn't be considered a reward, it's more of a gift, still ether way its always nice to get something for nothing especially when its for stuff we enjoy.

@Caldyrvan 

The reward is for loggin in and "being part" of the celebration. For wow you need to do it symbolically by doing /salute to a SC2 pet. for other games it's only login in as they have no other mean to show participation.

As the article say: "Log in between March 6 and April 3 ". It's like "if you come to the party you'll get it kind of reward.

Edited by Slam
  • Like 1

Overwatch's Widowmaker already has a Nova skin and now it's time for her to receive a skin from another icon StarCraft heroine. From March 6 until April 3, you can claim the Sarah Kerrigan Ghost skin.

And in Heroes, Nova has a Widowmaker skin, and a Kerrigan skin.   Shenanigans!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Migol said:

And in Heroes, Nova has a Widowmaker skin, and a Kerrigan skin. 

Nova doesn't have a Kerrigan skin in HOTS. Where are you getting that she does o_O? Kerrigan has a ghost-esk skin. But Nova only has a Widowmaker skin. Maybe she'll get one later this month though along side a new hero release. That would be nice :)

Edited by CyberDVonaven

2 hours ago, CyberDVonaven said:

Nova doesn't have a Kerrigan skin in HOTS. Where are you getting that she does o_O? Kerrigan has a ghost-esk skin. But Nova only has a Widowmaker skin. Maybe she'll get one later this month though along side a new hero release. That would be nice :)

Yea, Nova has a tint (more than a skin) that reminds Kerrigan as a ghost, greatly similar to the one they are going to gift in OW during SC celebration :p

Wouldn't it have made more sense that the Diablo pet be a Zerg unit? I mean they do fit more into the demon theme of the game then a flying battle cruiser. I would have liked a Ultralisk, or even a Hydralisk that periodically spat its venom attack at stuff, they would have gone perfect with the Kerrigan wings already added in the game, you could have rolled a female mage with the wings and your little Zerg minion and felt like the true Queen of Blades hunting down demons :D. Hopefully since now there is a Protoss pet ,the little probe drone, and this marine Battle Cruiser, the next one will be a Zerg *fingers crossed*

Edited by BlakeArmentrout

On 3/5/2018 at 9:10 AM, PatrickHenry said:

*confused face*

Feat of Strength for saluting a pet. 

*even more confused face*

a Star-ship pet for a medieval game about demons, rather then a Zerg Unit

• Haha 1

I've got the ones that are live!! Now, I need to find a way to NOT forget the ones that come at the end of the month! 

@BlakeArmentrout We already have a probe there so why not a starship !!!

Edited by Slam

On 3/5/2018 at 8:10 AM, PatrickHenry said:

*confused face*

Feat of Strength for saluting a pet. 

More effort than a lot of the other feats/achieves take.

19 hours ago, MrEdren said:

More effort than a lot of the other feats/achieves take.

erm...  I guess as far as SOME achieves go, yes...

But feats of strength?  Realm firsts, Completing entire quest chains to unlock hidden races, Gold Level proving grounds... 

Edited by PatrickHenry

1 hour ago, PatrickHenry said:

erm...  I guess as far as SOME achieves go, yes...

But feats of strength?  Realm firsts, Completing entire quest chains to unlock hidden races, Gold Level proving grounds... 

Any of the 'log in during the anniversary' ones come to mind.

On 3/6/2018 at 1:37 PM, BlakeArmentrout said:

*even more confused face*

a Star-ship pet for a medieval game about demons, rather then a Zerg Unit

Medivhal*