FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
papalazarou

New player looking for deck building advice please

Hi guys,

I am brand new to the game and really dont know where to start.  I have bought the mammoth bundle, and am now sitting on a few epics, I don't know which class to focus on.  I like the idea of a rogue, Zoo Warlock or Secret Mage, but all semi-decent decks seem to cost at least 4000 dust, and so I don't know whether I should dust everything to build 1 deck, but then I would be concerned about picking the wrong deck and getting bored if I put all my eggs in 1 basket.

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot of times on here, but really don't know where to start.  I want to play ladder and arena eventually, but until I get something approaching a semi decent deck, I don't want to just end up losing most games and getting disheartened.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Papa.

Invest 50 - 100 bucks and you can build a Tier 1 deck. If you dust everything.
If you don't like the deck invest another 50-100 bucks and build another one.

That's not very helpful of course, but if you haven't played Hearthstone for years and gotten a halfway decent collection of cards through daily quests or the weekly free pack Hearthstone is expensive in the extreme.

Of course you can try to play with cheap decks, but since you lack experience too and even in non-ladder around 75% off all decks are quite good (maybe not Tier 1, but Tier 2 or 3 definitly) you will probably loose most of your games.

Edited by Guest

I agree that my answer wasn't motivating. 
But IMO it was a true answer. He specifically stated that he would not like to loose tons of games.
And lack of experience alone will lead to quite a lot of losses. Add a deck consisting only (or mostly) of basic cards you will loose most of your games. And the only chance of getting a Tier 1 or 2 deck fast is to use money.
Since decks need 4k - 10k dust (some even more) that is around 50 - 100 bucks for one deck alone.
And if you realize you don't like the deck you have to make a new one...

It is possible to play Hearthstone without real money (I do it), but you need to play a very long time to be able to craft Tier 1 decks without real money. I was lucky that I started to play Hearthstone as soon as it was released (with only a short break of 6 month or something like that) - and in the years I made my daily quests, got the free pack each week, reached rank 5 for around 1.5 years (which gave me quite a lot of golden epics -> lots of dust)...

An honest answer will help him more then giving him the impression that it is possible to get Tier 1 decks in a very short time without throwing lots of money on it.

Edit: Your link is very helpful.
If my answer hasn't already shoked him into quitting and if he is willing to learn you pointed him in the right direction.
Now he has all the information he needs and must decicde for himself if Hearthstone is the right game for him.

Edited by Guest

You are right mostly.

Even though it needs experience with the game and the knowledge what to do and not it is def. possible to win games with basic cards. Ofc a well build top tier deck will most likely beat you if the player is not an idiot but not all are running top decks and when playing with a very small collection as a new player you can build well rounded deck that curves out very hard.

A lot of players have shown this on twitch/Youtube

Edited by Caldyrvan

On 4/3/2018 at 7:47 PM, papalazarou said:

Hi guys,

I am brand new to the game and really dont know where to start.  I have bought the mammoth bundle, and am now sitting on a few epics, I don't know which class to focus on.  I like the idea of a rogue, Zoo Warlock or Secret Mage, but all semi-decent decks seem to cost at least 4000 dust, and so I don't know whether I should dust everything to build 1 deck, but then I would be concerned about picking the wrong deck and getting bored if I put all my eggs in 1 basket.

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot of times on here, but really don't know where to start.  I want to play ladder and arena eventually, but until I get something approaching a semi decent deck, I don't want to just end up losing most games and getting disheartened.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Papa.

First, welcome to the game!

Second, don't listen (too much) to the people in this thread saying you need to spend all your money on this game. Yes, you can, it'll give you every card you need, but it won't make you a good player.

You now don't have a good collection. Everyone here has played in this condition and survived. You need to learn how to play budget. Yes, you won't win the World Tournament, but you'll still get a lot of fun!

First, read the guides in this site. If you have time,  Aleco's bigger one is a must. Then, read the guide about single deck/archetype. Then, when you understand how the deck works, you can build a version with the card you own. There are deck that can't be played at all without some expensive card (for example, you can't play Murloc Quest Shaman without the quest!), but you can often play similar cheaper version (for the same example, you can play aggro murloc shaman without the Quest and Finja, even if it's not perfect). Learn how to play many class, many deck, then you'll became a better player, and you'll defeat more expensive decks that are piloted by weaker players.

Second, buy a lot of classic packs. Many usefull cards are classic, and classic won't rotate, they are good both in wild and standard, so they are the best. Then, first concentrate on packs that won't rotate soon: Un'Goro, Frozen Throne and K&C. Try to understand what pack have the better legendaries/epic you like, and buy a lot of that packs. You'll eventually get the 1600 dust to craft a legendary, now you'll need to choose carefully, and try to find the legendary you like that can be played in more decks first.

Third, try to play daily, or at least, try to do 3 quest per 3 days. This way, you'll maximize the gold you'll get for free. Don't play arena, unless you like very much the game mode: it doesn't give enough cards per spent gold.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 2:09 PM, WedgeAntilles said:

Invest 50 - 100 bucks and you can build a Tier 1 deck. If you dust everything.
If you don't like the deck invest another 50-100 bucks and build another one.

That's not very helpful of course, but if you haven't played Hearthstone for years and gotten a halfway decent collection of cards through daily quests or the weekly free pack Hearthstone is expensive in the extreme.

Of course you can try to play with cheap decks, but since you lack experience too and even in non-ladder around 75% off all decks are quite good (maybe not Tier 1, but Tier 2 or 3 definitly) you will probably loose most of your games.

This is the worst advice I have ever heard.  

DO NOT DO THIS!

First, build the cheapest deck you can find to play ranked with, your goal should be to get to rank 10 every month.  The dust that you get from getting to rank 10 will help you build your collection.  You'll get better and better and will be able to get higher ranks as you progress.  Always cancel out of 40 gold daily quest, save 2000-3000 gold and after that every 1000 buy 10 packs.  

The link below is my YouTube channel and I have videos for new players and tips and trick to maximize your budget. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Synesthesy said:

First, welcome to the game!

Second, don't listen (too much) to the people in this thread saying you need to spend all your money on this game. Yes, you can, it'll give you every card you need, but it won't make you a good player.

You now don't have a good collection. Everyone here has played in this condition and survived. You need to learn how to play budget. Yes, you won't win the World Tournament, but you'll still get a lot of fun!

First, read the guides in this site. If you have time,  Aleco's bigger one is a must. Then, read the guide about single deck/archetype. Then, when you understand how the deck works, you can build a version with the card you own. There are deck that can't be played at all without some expensive card (for example, you can't play Murloc Quest Shaman without the quest!), but you can often play similar cheaper version (for the same example, you can play aggro murloc shaman without the Quest and Finja, even if it's not perfect). Learn how to play many class, many deck, then you'll became a better player, and you'll defeat more expensive decks that are piloted by weaker players.

Second, buy a lot of classic packs. Many usefull cards are classic, and classic won't rotate, they are good both in wild and standard, so they are the best. Then, first concentrate on packs that won't rotate soon: Un'Goro, Frozen Throne and K&C. Try to understand what pack have the better legendaries/epic you like, and buy a lot of that packs. You'll eventually get the 1600 dust to craft a legendary, now you'll need to choose carefully, and try to find the legendary you like that can be played in more decks first.

Third, try to play daily, or at least, try to do 3 quest per 3 days. This way, you'll maximize the gold you'll get for free. Don't play arena, unless you like very much the game mode: it doesn't give enough cards per spent gold.

Also, this.  Do this!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marcawesome said:

This is the worst advice I have ever heard.  

DO NOT DO THIS!

First, build the cheapest deck you can find to play ranked with, your goal should be to get to rank 10 every month.  The dust that you get from getting to rank 10 will help you build your collection.  You'll get better and better and will be able to get higher ranks as you progress.  Always cancel out of 40 gold daily quest, save 2000-3000 gold and after that every 1000 buy 10 packs.  

The link below is my YouTube channel and I have videos for new players and tips and trick to maximize your budget. 

Well, it is advised based exactly on the problem the thread startet has formulated.
You should try to read the question somebody asked and take the information he gives you into account. Before throwing away answers like using a shotgun. You will probably hit something, but not necessarily the right target. Or in other words: Your advice is good for maybe 80% of all players.
It is bad advice for the quest starter.
And for who was your answer meant to be? For the 4 new players that would benefit but will never read it? Or for the thread starter?

And your advice with saving 1000 gold to buy 10 packs at once is just plain bullshit. If you buy a pack with 100 you can already get a good card in this pack. If you buy every second day a pack the quality of the deck you play is higher than compared to waiting 20 days to buy 10 packs at once. Because during these 20 days your deck won't improve a single bit. Compared to the chance of improving the deck every second day.

Oh, I forget the last advice: if you have any doubt on anything, post here! If you don't know how to build a budget version of a deck you like, ask here! We like to help :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

Well, it is advised based exactly on the problem the thread startet has formulated.
You should try to read the question somebody asked and take the information he gives you into account. Before throwing away answers like using a shotgun. You will probably hit something, but not necessarily the right target. Or in other words: Your advice is good for maybe 80% of all players.
It is bad advice for the quest starter.
And for who was your answer meant to be? For the 4 new players that would benefit but will never read it? Or for the thread starter?

And your advice with saving 1000 gold to buy 10 packs at once is just plain bullshit. If you buy a pack with 100 you can already get a good card in this pack. If you buy every second day a pack the quality of the deck you play is higher than compared to waiting 20 days to buy 10 packs at once. Because during these 20 days your deck won't improve a single bit. Compared to the chance of improving the deck every second day.

Investing money when a player isn't really experience is a sure way to make them dishearten. 

Saving 1000 golds and buying a 10 packs at a time is more about the player learning how to save and build slowly, which is how you become a good player.  Also it's lame to open one pack at a time.

1 hour ago, Marcawesome said:

Investing money when a player isn't really experience is a sure way to make them dishearten. 

Saving 1000 golds and buying a 10 packs at a time is more about the player learning how to save and build slowly, which is how you become a good player.  Also it's lame to open one pack at a time.

Isn't the same thing open 10 pack every day for 10 days, or open 10 pack the 10th day?

I prefer to open my pack daily, it helps motivate me to get more gold. I don't like to play for gold, but I like to play for cards!

• Like 2

I think there are different preferences and all of them are ok imo :)

As a new player I opened every pack I got and spent my gold on pack(s) asap and at this point it made a lot of sense because every card could be something great or at least better than I have. But with time I started to save gold, realizing that the one pack will not do much anymore (of course it could have the legend or epic I really want, I know) and I really enjoy opening card packs so I often save gold, then I buy many packs at once, get a cup of coffee and a cigarette and I start opening packs, somehow a celebration every time :D

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Synesthesy said:

Isn't the same thing open 10 pack every day for 10 days, or open 10 pack the 10th day?

I prefer to open my pack daily, it helps motivate me to get more gold. I don't like to play for gold, but I like to play for cards!

Nothing wrong with that, honestly its about building disciple.  Teaching a new player that its not about the cards and to work with what you got until you build it up. 

If that's what floats your boat, go for it.

4 hours ago, Marcawesome said:

Wow, a psychologist who can determine the character of a person after reading 3 sentences in a board.
Have you published a lot? Which articles of you may I have read?

Ok, ok, calm down y'all!

I am not a moderator, but;

This conversation started with nice suggestions, for anyone starting the game recently. And it turned into you guys hitting on each other. So, unless you want to give other suggestions to people, feel free to do so, if not, maybe write nice things, or take this to personal messaging, you know Icy-Veins has that too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

About pack opening: as a min/maxer, I have to say that opening packs as soon as you get them is more efficient due to having the cards available immediately, and if you are opening non-classic packs, you will also not have extra packs after hitting the pity timer. However, since it is just a game, you should open them the way you prefer. If you like opening multiple packs at once, go for it!

As for the original question: it is better to make one full deck. You should start with a strong deck, so that you can reach rank 5 easily, which significantly boosts your ability to afford more decks.

Also, while I like seeing a discussion going on, please, keep it civil. Cheers!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

Wow, a psychologist who can determine the character of a person after reading 3 sentences in a board.
Have you published a lot? Which articles of you may I have read?

I'm a financial coach and deal with economics all the time.  Hearthstone has an economy and I've seen people be foolish with their income, it's basically the same principles to actual finances. 

Economics is a social science but no I've published.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, positiv2 said:

About pack opening: as a min/maxer, I have to say that opening packs as soon as you get them is more efficient due to having the cards available immediately, and if you are opening non-classic packs, you will also not have extra packs after hitting the pity timer. However, since it is just a game, you should open them the way you prefer. If you like opening multiple packs at once, go for it!

As for the original question: it is better to make one full deck. You should start with a strong deck, so that you can reach rank 5 easily, which significantly boosts your ability to afford more decks.

Also, while I like seeing a discussion going on, please, keep it civil. Cheers!

The reason I do ten at a time is I have most of the cards, I tell younger/newer player to do it to build disciple and teach them that the really hot sexy card that they think will put them at legend, won't. 

If one feels like they need to bust a pack every 100 gold, I'm not going to yell too hard at them.

• Like 1