FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
SPECTRELIGHT

Dungeon Runs

I'm a newbie to Hearthstone and while I am learning the intricacies of the game, I am having a blast. I have to purchase the welcome bundle (at least) to build at least a decent budget deck.

For now, I am playing casual with the standard decks and losing a lot which I don't mind as losing is the best teacher for winning.

However, I have yet to win a whole Dungeon run with any class. What advice do you have to beat this challenging mode?

Also, I have noticed some cards with a 20 mana cost. How is this possible? Can you actually summon something of 10 or more mana?

I have no advice for the Dungeon Runs, I just hate it :D

Cards with a mana cost of more than 10 usually have a build in effect that reduces its cost like this: Mountain Giant. This is a way to make a card strong but you have to meet certain requirements or play styles.

Maybe there are other things going on in the Dungeon Run but I have no idea about those.

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Like 1

Hello, I am a relatively new player but I have completed all the dungeon runs (actually if you are new, I will not suggest you spend your time on dungeon runs) But anyways to complete them you can go onto google and search up on how to complete the individual class dungeon runs. I think icy veins has one in which they show the different selections and which is the best to choose from the three. You can also go onto youtube and watch how yotubers does it as I have learnt much from them. Have a good day :)

• Like 2

Hello Spectrelight.  This is my first reply on this forum.  Good questions!

Regarding Dungeon Runs, I have completed all of them but it took me a while to figure out how to go about it.  There is no set strategy, its just a matter of committing as best you can to a serious strategy - whether that be buffing minions, or low cost spells/secrets, or a hundred other variations.  Keep playing and you will soon find by trial and error that you will develop a devastating combination of powers that propel you through.

Regarding high cost cards, they are always mitigated with something that lowers the cost.  Most obvious example is Molten Giant whose cost drops as you take damage.  So it starts at 25, your hero at 30.  By the time your hero reaches 15 health, the Giant is a 10-cost.

There are cases where a card becomes unplayable such as when one gets caught by Hunter's Freezing Trap whcih adds two mana cost to re-play the card, meaning a 9 or 10 cost card actually becomes unplayable as it costs over 10 mana.

Keep playing, its a very fun and well-balanced game.  Even when you think you are good, you will always have luck and serious opponents humble you.  

I have only beaten it with a Shaman so far and that was using the permanent stealth and the double your starting health twice.

Win conditions vary widely based on the bosses. Every one has a perfect counter and can impact you hard on rounds 6-10 if you don't have it. I've completed all of them, some in a few runs, some took over 80+ runs. There is some strategy and a lot of luck involved.

Advice:

1) Each class has a hook, don't fight the hook - try to take advantage of it. Usually it is a combination of the hero cards + bonuses + common cards offered for winning.

2) Don't underestimate stealthed minions. Kills you on taunts but wow - gets face damage out there fast without counter. Combined with buffs this can result in wins where otherwise you would have lost horribly. Use this one.

3) Some cards and powers have really high synergy. Use your card selection wisely and stick with the strategy each round. For instance:

a) Wax Ranger + double deathratle - this card is amazing but combine the two and you have a high likelihood to complete lvl 10.

b) + spell power + spell deck synergy - awesome but be prepared for the one boss that negates it....early round is ok...late is game over.

c) Cards over 5 cost 5 - get all high level cards with taunt / etc....build on these cards. Careful to get the specials needed for AF Kay and the 15/5 silence guy - have to deal with minions or do damage before turn 5.

4) Lastly learn from your mistakes. If something doesn't work ask yourself was it the boss, the deck, or how you played. Fix it for the next round...just remember in this one there sometimes is not a good fix....rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

One other item I did not do but looking back it would have helped on the harder classes for me. Suggest writing down all the bosses and counters, then checking them off as you move through to understand which are left in the pool you have yet to face.

Going back to the counters it will help you make better selections each round. I had 4-5 bosses I always looked for early and if I did not get them ended up changing my card choices...as I rarely would win if I didn't have the perfect counter. 

Just don't throw the monitor across the room when your on round 10 with a deck you should win with, get the right boss, then lose due to the worst draw possible. Just makes pass 187 that much better when you win round 10 and think about that poor soul who is on round 848 and has not yet completed a single class.