FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Deathclaw98

Are monk rares difficult for any one else?

The rares across pandaria are fun for some people, and just something unexplored to others. A family member of mine said he didn't like pandaria's rares because he fought one and got demolished(we are both hunters.) I knew these rares pretty well, so I asked which one. Unsurprisingly, it was a monk. I have fought most of the rares in pandaria and won almost effortlessly every time, except the monks. When you get to close, they use the spinning crane kick and kill my pet and I back up to continue dps. I get too far and get attacked with their powerful chi burst. Deal too much damage and they use healing mists, I interrupt, they spinning crane kick, I revive my pet as they start to use healing mists,I interrupt, they spinning crane kick just as my pet is revived, and then they heal them selves as I watch because my interrupts are on cooldown. They are immune to my freezing trap and wyvern sting, it's no use trying to dps him down because I'm reviving/ interrupting the entire encounter. Then another hunter problem: no reliable source of healing for this type of fight. Do I need a group just to fight monks? Should it be this difficult or is it something in my rotation/tactics? Feign death will reset the encounter, monks are immune to most of my cc, no healing, no tank that doesn't die as soon as the monk uses his abilities... Are there any hunters having it worse or easier? Please reply when you can.

Edited by Deathclaw98

It's all about strategy. Don't forget you have scatter shot. It doesn't fully interupt the monk's spinning crane kick but it does pause them, giving you more time to get out of the aoe effect before they cast it again. If you having healing issues try switching to Spirit Bond with the glyph as well as glyphing Liberation (I disengage to heal myself all the time). Just keep at it ^_^

You know, if u use some kind of stun, cc, etc.... right after they've started spinning, their CD for the spinning crane kick has started and yet he might only have gotten 1 or maybe even no ticks off

Also, even if ur ranged, as long as ur not running from spinning crane kick, theres no reason to stay in range, their melee dosnt hurt that much

My strategy for the Monks is fairly simple (I am SV):

1) MD Pet (with growl on) and Start DPS

2) First Spinning Kick, wait until AFTER the cast completes and use Scatter Shot, your pet should only take one hit which isnt much damage

3) After they recover, they usually immediately start their heal, cast Counter Shot/Silencing Shot now

4) DPS until next Spinning Kick, reapplying MD as necessary to keep aggro on pet

5) Next Spinning Kick, use Intimation (Binding Shot isn't easy to use here and they are immune to Wyvern).
6) If they try to heal again, use another Counter Shot

Typically, two Spinning Kick/heal combos is all the Monks I fight ever get around to, but if you do get to a 3rd, Scatter Shot should be off CD, so rinse and repeat.

Guest WeeWilly

lol, monks are hard for me too as a BM hunter. But I knew to bring my pet back to me when the spinning started as I couldn't stop it.

But somehow after my 10th try at the lowest level rare monk (the one you meet at the bridge coming into Valley of 4 Winds), I was able to kill her and still have a live pet.  smile.png  Not sure how, but I did it. 

I am going to try using what Atrais and Kattii suggested, though.  I feel a re-match is needed  smile.png  .  BTW, my gear score is only 474, I know, not that high, but heck. 

Thanks for asking that question.

Wee Willy (aka Roo the Hunter)    

Edited by WeeWilly

Thanks for all the answers guys, I'm sure other people found it just as helpful as I did. As for me, I am a ilvl 509 BM/SV hunter. My talents are:

Narrow escape

Wyvern sting

Spirit bond

Thrill of the hunt(SV) dire beast(BM)

Blink strikes

Power shot/glaives(I switch between all three)

I'm not sure that there is much more for me to say,other than I need to flip some if the things I do, like scatter shot SC kick/counter shot healing mists.