FORUMS
Stan

Patch 8.0.1: War of Thorns Part 2

38138-patch-80-pre-patch-preview-war-of-

The second part of the pre-expansion event will be enabled on live servers soon. Players can earn faction-specific mounts and we'll finally learn who burned down the World Tree.

The article contains spoilers.

Important Dates

• War of Thorns Part 2: July 31
    • The second part of the event should be enabled on live servers this week.
    • The final cinematic of burning down Teldrassil will become available.
  • Battle for Lordaeron: August 7
    • Players who pre-purchased Battle for Azeroth will be able to complete the Battle for Lordaeron Scenario a week before BfA launch.
  • Battle for Azeroth Launch: August 14
    • Global launch of WoW's latest expansion.

War of Thorns Part 2 Rewards

Completing the second part of the questline rewards a faction mount. The event is available for a limited time only and you won't be able to claim rewards after BfA launch.

Alliance - Smoldering Reins of the Teldrassil HippogryphSmoldering Reins of the Teldrassil Hippogryph

teldrassil1.pngteldrassil3.pngteldrassil4.pngteldrassil2.pnggiphy.gif

Horde War-Torn Reins of the Undercity PlaguebatWar-Torn Reins of the Undercity Plaguebat

plaguebat1.pngplaguebat3.pngplaguebat4.pngplaguebat2.pnggiphy.gif

War of Thorns Part 2 // Alliance PoV

A Threat from the North

The Horde must have scaled the mountains of Felwood in the North. The wisp wall is failing, it is only a matter of time before the Horde breaks through.

High Overlord Saurfang: FOR THE HORDE!

Captain Delaryn Summermoon: That sound... could it be...? Shan'do! The Horde is approaching from the north!

Malfurion Stormrage: The north? How did... Oh, they scaled the mountains of Felwood. Of course! The wisps... they're growing disoriented! The wall is failing!

Captain Delaryn Summermoon: Horde forces are advancing upon Lor'danel! Champion, to me!

Rescue Effort & Defending Lor'danel & Action This Day

The suddenness of the Horde's attack gave citizens little time to flee. Many are hiding in Lor'danel waiting for help. Evacuate 8 Lor'danel citizens and slay 15 Horde attackers. In order to complete the third quest, you must slay two Horde warriors that have led a charge to try and capture the Alliance fleet.

Malfurion Stormrage: It is only a matter of time before the Horde breaks through. They will attack us from both sides. Sylvanas seeks to engage me, and I plan to give her what she wants.

The Guidance of Our Shan'do

Lor'danel is overrun and the Horde doesn't relent. Seek out Malfurion in Darkshore. You will find him fighting Sylvanas. High Overlord Saurfang joins the fight and delivers a blow to Malfurion that almost kills him. Tyrande appears and tells you that the war is lost. You are ordered to take her hippogryph to Darnassus.

High Overlord Saurfang: The warchief faces Stormrage alone! I must...

Malfurion Stormrage: ARGH! Saur...fang?!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: An audience--perfect! Stay still, Alliance dog. Watch me strike down one of your greatest heroes!

High Overlord Saurfang: A dishonorable blow. I... regret it.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Regret nothing. You did well.

High Overlord Saurfang: It was not my place to interfere.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: My victory was inevitable. He was merely wasting my time.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Finish him and be done with it. Take a moment, if you like... then take his head. Meet me at the World Tree.

Malfurion Stormrage: You have led... your Horde... in service... of death. You will... regret this day...

Tyrande Whisperwind: Malfurion...NO!

Tyrande Whisperwind: You did not kill him, orc. Why?

High Overlord Saurfang: I struck without honor. I did not deserve to end him.

Tyrande Whisperwind: This entire war is without honor. How dare you spill so much innocent blood... for nothing!

High Overlord Saurfang: Not for nothing. We spill blood so that the Horde will endure.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Because you spared Malfurion, I will offer you a choice.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Attempt to stop me from taking him away, and die... or remain there, kneeling in the dirt, and live.

High Overlord Saurfang: You have a choice as well. Take him to Darnassus and both of you will fall when we conquer it... or flee somewhere far from here, so that you both survive.

Tyrande Whisperwind: This war is lost. Teldrassil will soon fall.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Take my hippogryph to Darnassus. Ensure that the Horde's occupation is as... tolerable as it can be.

Tyrande Whisperwind: King Anduin gave me a hearthstone back to Stormwind. There I will tend my love's wounds... and help my people find respite from this madness.

A Flicker of Hope

Darnassus must be evacuated before it burns to ash and you must douse (Bucket of Moonwell WaterBucket of Moonwell Water) the flames and rescue trapped civilians. A three-minute timer will start as soon as you accept the quest and it automatically completes when the timer expires.

Belysra Starbreeze: I cannot leave without my child! Please, somebody, help!

Darnassian Citizen: Elune, bless you.

Jeana: Thank you! I hope the others made it out...

Darnassian Citizen: Thank you... I did not think I was going to make it.

When the time expires your body becomes heavy as your lungs fill with smoke...

From the Ashes...

Mia Greymane: Hero... hero? Can you hear me? I am ... relieved... I found you. Astarii... hurry. Evacuate the city... before it burns...

Genn Greymane suddenly appears from the Stormwind portal.

Genn Greymane: Mia... MIA! Open your eyes, my queen... my love! You can't stay here any longer! We must escape through the portal!

Mia Greymane: The tree... they're burning the tree! The child... save her. Leave... me.

Genn Greymane: Never! I'll take you both! Astarii, you've done all you can! Command the priests to come with us!

Mia Greymane: They... will not go...

Genn Greymane: The Banshee murdered my son. Stole my kingdom. She will not cost me my beloved! May your goddess watch over you.

Take the portal to Stormwind and talk to Anduin to receive your Smoldering Reins of the Teldrassil HippogryphSmoldering Reins of the Teldrassil Hippogryph mount.

Anduin Wrynn: You have shown courage and heart, champion. On this, one of the Alliance's darkest days. My whole life, I have prayed for peace in this world. But the dream can never be realized so long as Sylvanas Windrunner leads the Horde. She expects this atrocity to crush our spirits. Shatter our unity. But this I vow... The Alliance will endure... and the Banshee Queen's insidious reign will be ended.

Environmental Changes

Darnassus & Darkshore

Darnassus can no longer be accessed and fatigue will eventually kill you. Players can talk to Zidormi in Darkshore to witness the world before the burning of Teldrassil, allowing them to access Darnassus again.

WoWScrnShot_051818_004256.jpgWoWScrnShot_051818_004111.jpgWoWScrnShot_051818_004115.jpgWoWScrnShot_051818_004142.jpg

Stormwind

Night Elves have been forced to retreat to Stormwind.

WoWScrnShot_051818_000725.jpgWoWScrnShot_051818_000715.jpgWoWScrnShot_051818_010320.jpgWoWScrnShot_051818_004013.jpgWoWScrnShot_051818_003958.jpg

Gameplay Preview

The following video contains War of Thorns gameplay from the Alliance perspective. We included the most important moments of the event and edited out unnecessary flying and mob killing.

War of Thorns Part 2 // Horde PoV

Saurfang Returns

Find Saurfang in Lor'danel.

High Overlord Saurfang: FOR THE HORDE!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Saurfang! It's about time.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Look around you, hero! What a lovely sight. The wisps are scattering. One by one, the wall comes crashing down.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Now is the time. The World Tree is ours for the taking! Find Saurfang. We shall finish this once and for all.

No Small Mercy & Seaside Rendezvous & Driving Them Out

Saurfang will offer three quests. You must defeat 15 Lor'danel defenders, Caranne Briarbow and Ariel Stagguard and save 8 scared civilians.

Killer Queen

High Overlord Saurfang: Make haste! The warchief awaits!

High Overlord Saurfang: The warchief faces Stormrage alone! I must...

Malfurion Stormrage: ARGH! Saur...fang?!

High Overlord Saurfang: A dishonorable blow. I... regret it.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Regret nothing. You did well.

High Overlord Saurfang: It was not my place to interfere.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: My victory was inevitable. He was merely wasting my time.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Finish him and be done with it. Take a moment, if you like... then take his head. Meet me at the World Tree.

Malfurion Stormrage: You have led... your Horde... in service... of death. You will... regret this day...

Tyrande Whisperwind: Malfurion...NO!

Tyrande Whisperwind: You did not kill him, orc. Why?

High Overlord Saurfang: I struck without honor. I did not deserve to end him.

Tyrande Whisperwind: This entire war is without honor. How dare you spill so much innocent blood... for nothing!

High Overlord Saurfang: Not for nothing. We spill blood so that the Horde will endure.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Because you spared Malfurion, I will offer you a choice.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Attempt to stop me from taking him away, and die... or remain there, kneeling in the dirt, and live.

High Overlord Saurfang: You have a choice as well. Take him to Darnassus and both of you will fall when we conquer it... or flee somewhere far from here, so that you both survive.

High Overlord Saurfang: Come, champion. We must follow our warchief to... victory.

After that, you go to Mist's Edge and talk to Sylvanas. A not yet implemented cinematic will play and you will see the burning World Tree in the background and receive your faction mount.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: When I sent you on this mission, I did not foresee this outcome. Our attack was meant to end a war before it began... to capture an enemy's home and annihilate their leaders in one stroke. To inflict a wound that would bleed the Alliance dry. We have only partially succeeded. The Alliance will retaliate. They will come for us. For me. For you. But they ARE bleeding. Their anger will prove a weakness, not a strength, in the war to come. Rest while you can. Prepare for the battles ahead. I will have need of you.

Full Gameplay Preview

• Like 1

Do i need to be lvl100 to be able to do the Questline? Want the gryphon but i think my highest alli char is 103 or so^^

6 minutes ago, Rooach said:

Do i need to be lvl100 to be able to do the Questline? Want the gryphon but i think my highest alli char is 103 or so^^

Not sure, but you have enough time to lvl to 110 if it's not the case to do this.

Almost certain you need to be 110. But you don't have to do anything else. I boosted a character to 110 with my BFA pre-order about a week ago to do my professions before BFA and was able to do all this and the daily quests for great gear.

• Like 2

Why is the Alliance mount always ugly as sin, and the horde mount cool as f&$k! Who makes these decisions? I'd like to talk to this person.

1 hour ago, Rooach said:

Even if you read alot hate about the time to level up, i can tell you, that i reached 110 today with my very first alliancecharakter and have a pure leveling time of 68 hours. To be fair - i leveled up as arms warrior there, which is very powerful even in low level areas. Anyway - even if not arms warrior it isnt over 100 hours to 110 (i read alot trash on official forums like "150+ hours to get max level, that is dumb Blizzard wtf"). Most and fastest experience gain was with quests, not rushing instances.

I mean from 1 to 110 with heirlooms. If i would have the second experiencering of fishing tournament in stranglethorn, then it would be maybe 66 or 67 hours. And now you have those people which cry out loud about the time you need to get to max level. I only can roll eyes about that. In older stances of the game you needed twice the amount of time.

Edited by Baharok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rooach said:

You'll need a 110 char for this.

If you play a little, you can lvl up from 103 to 110 in a few hours.

If you use the demonic invasions you can gain 1 level each time!

7 hours ago, Rooach said:

I've tried leveling a Horde DH to experience Horde PoV, it was the quickest and the easiest class to level to 110 out of eight I've done, without spamming dungeons or such. You might want to give it a shot.

10 hours ago, Sharknad0 said:

Why is the Alliance mount always ugly as sin, and the horde mount cool as f&$k! Who makes these decisions? I'd like to talk to this person.

Well, that's entirely subjective. You probably just enjoy the horde aesthetic better. Personally i find the cleaner and less "edgy" designs more appealing. I've wanted an updated hippogryph for a long time and that one just reminds me of the good old cenarion hippogryph. Some sabers would be nice as well since it's basically the only ground mount that looks good for night elves but the old 2004 sabers we have right now look so bad. I think they're even worse than the triangular rabbits since they are so big and it's easier to spot all the flaws. I just find it kind of baffling that our racial mounts still hasn't gotten a visual update. They look absolutely awful and clash really bad with the "new" character models and the world around them. Not to mention the racial mount is gonna be the first mount a new player receives, and if i started playing WoW today and got that cross eyed mess of a saber or one of those wolves that run like something's wrong with them i wouldn't exactly be going "wow, my first mount, i'm ecstatic!" I'd be going "Yikes..."

I should also mention that it isn't my intent to sound condescending or crap on anyones tastes, i just honestly don't know how else to describe the horde aesthetic what with all the red and black with tons of spikes and skulls etc.

10 hours ago, Sharknad0 said:

Really? I do think the Bat is awesome, but that Hippogryth is damn cool too. Not too many armored versions out there.

well we the horde sure as heck are catching the blame for starting this at least we got the better looking mount out of the deal 

14 hours ago, Sharknad0 said:

I feel the opposite, the Alliance one is much nicer. I hate the bat, and the way it bobs up and down when you fly hurts my head. Ah well, one more towards 400!

Uncommon Patron
17 hours ago, Sharknad0 said:

I have to say I disagree. I play Horde and I think the horde always gets the short end of the stick. Think its partly to do with what you are exposed to. I like the more of the alliance mounts than the Horde ones tbh

4 hours ago, Raelyn said:

I feel the opposite, the Alliance one is much nicer. I hate the bat, and the way it bobs up and down when you fly hurts my head. Ah well, one more towards 400!

I like both mounts.

Edited by Baharok
Mistaken content on official forums

11 minutes ago, Baharok said:

I saw a comment of a Blizzard Mod on official forums this days, that only mounts you can use with every character are counting for the collecting achievement. Maybe i can find this post somewhere on the forums, then i can link it here or someone else can write something about it here.

A Horde of HoofbeatsA Horde of Hoofbeats, but wouldn't the Teldrassil Hippogryph automatically convert to Undercity Plaguebat and vice versa after a faction change? I mean the mount's usable on every character so technically, it should count towards the achievement.

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

A Horde of HoofbeatsA Horde of Hoofbeats, but wouldn't the Teldrassil Hippogryph automatically convert to Undercity Plaguebat after a faction change?

I edited right in this moment, sorry ! ?

I think only one of those 2 mounts are counting, so after a faction change you get credit for one, since the character only can use this specific one or am im wrong there ?

I dont know if i read it on your site here or anywere else, but isnt it like, that i have to get the factionspecific mount with a character on each side ? For me it was one of the reasons to level up a alliance character, to get that factionspecific mount.

Edited by Baharok
  • Like 1

Hey, can anyone answer me this? How long it takes to complete the whole questline until the From the Ashes... to obtain those mounts? If I buy my subscription on August 10th, is 4 days enough to finish it? I already have 110 character from the start of the Legion. CheerS! 

14 minutes ago, Beornn said:

Hey, can anyone answer me this? How long it takes to complete the whole questline until the From the Ashes... to obtain those mounts? If I buy my subscription on August 10th, is 4 days enough to finish it? I already have 110 character from the start of the Legion. CheerS! 

You need maybe an hour to complete it ?The Horde part includes more flying, so 1 hour 30 mins max.