FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

The Daily Mail Interview with Gary Platner & Terran Gregory

37798-block-marksmanship-prot-ret-brewma

The Daily Mail recently sat down with Principal Exterior Level Designer Gary Platner and In-game Cinematic Project Director Terran Gregory for an interview about how to keep the narrative interesting for 14 years.

Click here to read the full interview

Interview Highlights

• 14 years of Warcraft is a generational age, teenagers who started to play the game when it came out are now adults.
  • Vanilla story had a hyperbolic fantasy and comic book-esque story and over the course of time, the audience has gravitated towards more compelling narratives.
  • Terran constantly sees the new younger generation discovering WoW on Twitch.
  • Terran's parents both play WoW. His mother raided Black Temple when it was current content back in the Burning Crusade.
  • Platner has been a fan from the beginning, but he would've never imagined the fidelity and story depth that they were able to get out of the last three WoW expansions.
  • Gregory compares storytelling to daily soap operas; no matter what you think about them, they usually run for a really long time and for every character that goes out, you weave one in. You can't do them all at the same time. The same formula applies to WoW storytelling.
    • Garrosh was being braided in during Burning Crusade, moving into the center during Wrath, coming to prominence in Cataclysm, and his story came to an end in Mists.
  • Every single quest in WoW has a unique name and it's really hard for the team to come up with names that are not yet taken.
  • With 2.5D videos (Warbringers) they aim to tell a character's story and internal thoughts.
  • CGI pre-rendered cinematics (Old Soldier) are usually relegated to one per expansion, but they knew some players would incline more to Saurfang whereas other players like the Banshee Queen. They use the story as a vehicle to remind everyone of war.
  • The passion that the people who work on WoW have for the game and the story is going to keep the game going for many years.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Every single quest in WoW has a unique name and it's really hard for the team to come up with names that are not yet taken.

I always assumed that they did...but I guess until I read that I never thought of the actual # of quests there might be in the game.  10s of thousands?

33 minutes ago, PatrickHenry said:

10s of thousands?

Somewhere around 20,000, although it's hard to say since there are a lot of quests in the databases that are technically no longer available, as well as dublicates for both factions, different rewards depending on player level etc. etc.

For comparison, Vanilla 1.12 had about 700 quests.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

The passion that the people who work on WoW have for the game and the story is going to keep the game going for many years.

This. As one of those now-adults that started playing as a teenager, I have never lost an interest in World of Warcraft. Even for the couple of years that I was unable to actually play the game, I was always interested in keeping up-to-date on the lore/story line and the direction the game was developing towards. I personally think it's amazing that the game has lasted as long as it has, even with the "dead game" hype that seems to happen a lot. Remember when Wildstar was "the WoW killer?" 😂 Not sure this game will ever end!

• Thanks 1

I've been playing WoW with my parents since vanilla, when I was 5 or 6. Mom was mostly casual, and Dad was a raider up until Wrath, but he passed away in 2011. I am now 18, and I still play almost every day. Mom also plays occasionally. Mom made a gnome warlock in vanilla for me to run around on, and named it the same thing she nicknamed me, Punka. She also leveled it alongside her warrior main at the time, and when I asked her to get a Voidheart Crown for me, she raided Karazhan each week until she got it. (although the token was given to someone else first, and she got mad at her guild.) Karazhan was also the place where she told the same guild that she wouldn't tank for them anymore, and she eventually started healing, which she did with her new priest main by Wrath. She didn't raid, but did enough heroic dungeons to get a Perky Pug. She said that took some patience with toxic players. She has refused to heal rude players in dungeons, and I respect that. Eventually I took over most of the leveling business, and by then we were considered altoholics. Now I have a little brother that is about to start kindergarten, and I hope that he will love Azeroth as much as I do.

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      Update: Blizzard have added a new hotfix, as the issue with C'Thun's eye beam, which we mentioned earlier today, has been resolved as well.

Today's hotfixes bring up the Brawl changeup in retail, as well as the scepter shards becoming epic quality in Classic.
      August 4 (source)
      Player versus Player
      This week’s Comp Stomp Brawl has been replaced with Temple of Hotmogu. Developers’ note: We’ve identified some issues with Comp Stomp and have removed it from the rotation. Comp Stomp will return to the rotation in Shadowlands. WoW Classic
      The Blue Scepter Shard, Green Scepter Shard, and Red Scepter Shard quest items are now Epic quality. Developers’ note: We're changing the item quality on the Scepter Shard quest items to Epic (purple) so that they'll be easier to distribute to the correct person in raids using Group Loot or Master Looter. Fixed an issue that caused C’Thun within Temple of Ahn’Qiraj to incorrectly delay casting Eye Beam when engaging in combat.
    • By Stan
      Castle Nathria raid testing continues on the Shadowlands Alpha on Heroic difficulty and we will finally get to see the final boss of the raid—Sire Denathrius!
      (Source)
      On Thursday, August 6th and Friday, August 7th, we will be continuing our raid tests in Castle Nathria.
      Thursday, August 6th
      Artificer Xy’mox - Heroic Castle Nathria
      13:00 PDT (16:00 EDT, 22:00 CEST)
      Sire Denathrius - Heroic Castle Nathria
      14:00 PDT (17:00 EDT, 23:00 CEST)
      Friday, August 7th
      Hungering Destroyer - Mythic Castle Nathria
      13:00 PDT (16:00 EDT, 22:00 CEST)
      Lady Inerva Darkvein - Mythic Castle Nathria
      14:00 PDT (17:00 EDT, 23:00 CEST)
      As always, this testing schedule is very fluid and subject to the realities of a test environment. We might have to change the time of a testing session, change the bosses being tested, or cancel a test entirely, due to bugs, server hardware issues, etc. Keep an eye on this forum for the latest information, and thank you in advance for testing and providing feedback.
      To facilitate testing, players who have not committed themselves to a Covenant can speak with Acquirer Ta’est inside Castle Nathria to temporarily bind themselves to one of the four factions.
      Q: How do I get into the raid zone?
      A: In Oribos, Dalaran, Orgrimmar, or Stormwind, you may speak to Nexus-Lord Donjon Rade IV in order to teleport into the raid zone while it is open for testing. (The option to teleport into a zone will not be available when the zone is not open for testing.)
      Q: What character should I use to test the raid?
      A: Whichever you prefer. We will be scaling players’ effective level to 60 for raid testing, and their item level to an appropriate threshold for the encounter(s) being tested.
      Q: How long does testing last?
      A: The primary purpose of testing is to give us the information we need to balance the encounters, evaluate how mechanics are playing out in practice, and identify bugs. Once we’re satisfied that we’ve received that information for a given boss, we’ll be shutting down testing. Usually this takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, but there are no guarantees.
      We appreciate you taking the time to test our content and look forward to reading your feedback.
    • By Stan
      Following the recent suspensions of some Galywix members that were involved in RMT, the Gallywix community have deleted their website, Discord, and social media accounts.
      Some members of the Gallywix community were found to be participating in real money trading, and so Blizzard permanently suspended their accounts.
      Earlier today, the former raid leader of Method openly admitted that the guild was purchasing gold directly from Gallywix for real money. As a result, the Gallywix community have vanished into thin air and they've taken down their website, which currently does not load. The same goes for their Twitter profile, which no longer exists. They even deleted their Discord.

On Reddit, people are already speculating they did this to prevent Blizzard from tracking down their accounts. Another Reddit user says boosting is too lucrative for Gallywix to be dead and they will reform in some way, since the community is still in tact.
      Card
      (Source)
    • By Stan
      Engineers will gain access to a Holographic Auctioneer in Oribos, the new city hub added to Shadowlands.
      Reddit user HydraMods discovered that there is an Auctioneer available in Oribos, so we went to the Hall of Shapes to investigate.

The auctioneer tells you to leave because you have no Engineering skill.
      Unfortunately, the Auctioneer will be available only when you learn the Engineering skill.

(Source)
    • By Stan
      In a Bloomberg report by Jason Schreier, we learn that Blizzard employees began circulating a spreadsheet to anonymously document their salaries and recent pay increases amid rising tensions in the video game industry over wage disparities and executive compensation.
      Schreier reports that an internal survey at Blizzard conducted in 2019 revealed that more than 50% of Blizzard workers were unhappy with their compensation, so the company would perform a study to ensure fair pay.
      According to Bloomberg, the results of the study were implemented last month, which caused an outcry on Blizzard's internal Slack.
      As a result, one Blizzard worker created a spreadsheet that began circulating in the company, and it currently contains plenty of purported Blizzard salaries and the recent pay bumps.
      On the other side of the spectrum, Bobby Kottick's 2019 compensation was worth $40 million at the end of that year, and the company also paid $15 million in stock awards and a sign-on bonus to CFO Dennis Durkin, based on the data compiled by Bloomberg.
      Some Blizzard employees said to Bloomberg that they were struggling to make ends meet while the revenue of Activision Blizzard grows each year. While producers and engineers earn well over $100K a year, game testers and customer service representatives are often paid close to minimum wage.
      One veteran Blizzard employee disclosed that they had a raise of fewer than 50 cents an hour, and they are making less now than they did a decade ago because there are currently working fewer overtime hours.
      To follow up on the article, Schreier shared a tweet from an ex-Blizzard employee that is currently working at Riot as Product Manager, where we see the salary differences in more detail.
      Placeholder for tweet 1290669205805826048 Don't forget to read the full article on Bloomberg.
      Spreadsheet with Purported Blizzard Salaries