FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Shaman Leveling Guide

As someone leveling Enhance right now, I don't see any real point of Lightning Shield. The damage is .. Well, nothing, and you'll only end up with it proccing on like every fourth mob if you're lucky. The extra damage from either of the other two talents definitely seem way better.

Edited by Weltenfeind

On 8/25/2018 at 7:50 PM, Weltenfeind said:

As someone leveling Enhance right now, I don't see any real point of Lightning Shield. The damage is .. Well, nothing, and you'll only end up with it proccing on like every fourth mob if you're lucky. The extra damage from either of the other two talents definitely seem way better.

Lightning Shield provides free generation with no impact on the rotation - the other 2 are either too complex for the current rotation to handle (Boulderfist, not enough GCDs to spend on it, makes everything very clunky) or can be useless in certain situations (Hot Hand, it's entirely RNG and, despite giving a purely single target, but solid damage increase, can be completely wasted depending on when the proc occurs).

LS is the most consistent and provides an easy-to-use, passive increase to damage and generation. 

1 hour ago, Blainie said:

Lightning Shield provides free generation with no impact on the rotation - the other 2 are either too complex for the current rotation to handle (Boulderfist, not enough GCDs to spend on it, makes everything very clunky) or can be useless in certain situations (Hot Hand, it's entirely RNG and, despite giving a purely single target, but solid damage increase, can be completely wasted depending on when the proc occurs).

LS is the most consistent and provides an easy-to-use, passive increase to damage and generation. 

I can see how this might be true once you reach lvl 60 for Searing Assault, or atleast the passive that gives more Maelstrom generation, but until then it definitely felt worse for me during leveling.

Edited by Weltenfeind

25 minutes ago, Weltenfeind said:

I can see how this might be true once you reach lvl 60 for Searing Assault, or atleast the passive that gives more Maelstrom generation, but until then it definitely felt worse for me during leveling.

In a completely single-target situation, when you have a very, very empty rotation, I can see how Boulder/Hot might be better, but I'd say most of leveling is pulling multiple mobs, in which case LS outperforms them in terms of damage. It feels much more passive and boring, but LS is definitely the best choice in almost all leveling situations.

23 minutes ago, Blainie said:

In a completely single-target situation, when you have a very, very empty rotation, I can see how Boulder/Hot might be better, but I'd say most of leveling is pulling multiple mobs, in which case LS outperforms them in terms of damage. It feels much more passive and boring, but LS is definitely the best choice in almost all leveling situations.

That's fair, can't deny I didn't pull enough/did something wrong. My experience was that 3 mobs was the max limit without having to use way too many gcds on Healing Surge.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:58 PM, Weltenfeind said:

That's fair, can't deny I didn't pull enough/did something wrong. My experience was that 3 mobs was the max limit without having to use way too many gcds on Healing Surge.

Although the leveling guides can be very useful, there’s also certain things that can work better for certain individuals based on playstyle, style of leveling, etc. 

If it works for you, keep doing it!

Anything that increases your XP while worn / gives you other useful bonuses (trinkets and such). Since we are mail users, its best if you the mail heirlooms for more armor and a little primary stat bonus along the way.

For more generic heirloom info you can check section 4 on the general leveling guide: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/battle-for-azeroth-level-110-120-leveling-guide, have fun!

Guest fiatnix

Curious why there isn't a section for Enhancement on Legion legendaries, as there is for Elemental and Restoration.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:33 PM, Guest fiatnix said:

Curious why there isn't a section for Enhancement on Legion legendaries, as there is for Elemental and Restoration.

I'm seeing this for Enh:

image.png