FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Sylvanas Will Not Be Garrosh 2.0

5 hours ago, NinjaDomo said:

Just because she wrote it does not mean she is responsible for the plot...

This would not be entirely correct.  And yet, it doesn't really matter anyway.  I was mainly pointing out that "Warbringers" is neither out of line for the character or taking Sylvanas in some new direction.  And that direction is based on her development in a recent work by Christie.  Those who seem puzzled by the feedback being given specifically to her are revealing naivete to the current canon and its sources.

And I don't believe that the novel authors are merely puppets for some internal executive or committee.  They'll be brought in as partners and guided for sure but you would not get good material by hiring writers and taking away their creative input.

Well I guess people are forgetting what Lok’tar Ogar means, means Victory or Death. Not Honor, but Survival. People forget that the Horde is about Survival and not Honor. The reason as to why so many Horde players have conflict with Sylvanas, because they themselves have forgotten what Survival is to the races of The Horde. 

5 hours ago, Aegrotat said:

Was going to say, the horde didn't rebel against Garrosh because of Theramore or something, they rebelled because he literally claimed that they needed the true, Orcish horde (featuring a few goblins). and not even just purging the horde of other races, but also removing a large section of other orcs for things like disagreeing with him, or being warlocks

They also rebelled because they didn't believe in his actions or motivations and thought what they were being asked to do was wrong.

In fact this was something revealed to Anduin in a vision by The Light.  In a simple conversation at a pub between soldiers he saw a Forsaken soldier who would partake in the Horde rebellion against Garrosh question his orders and what he'd seen done.  There would have been similar conversations (one would hope) among Nazi soldiers (yep, I went there), because you cannot hide behind "just doing my orders."

This may be a subtle nuance to some but it's important.  Especially if you have a problem with The Horde, as a whole,  being considered evil.  

2 hours ago, Asthlynn said:

Well I guess people are forgetting what Lok’tar Ogar means, means Victory or Death. Not Honor, but Survival.

Um, my question then becomes how many of your own people must you killl then subsequently resurrect as your unead slaves before the whole 'victory or death' thing becomes moot?

Wiping out the races of the horde in battle to save the races of the horde...  just seems... counter intuitive to me.

And Lok'tar Ogar may mean victory or death but Strength and Honor has been a Orc saying for just as long.  

15 hours ago, Sholto said:

Yeah, she is that bad and she's done the same.  She slaughtered The Desolate Council in cold blood as a stepping stone to war, as a means to spin the event with the rest of The Forsaken, to blame it on Humans, to stamp out the hope they had of ever being accepted by their living relatives or ever being accepted as anything but a notch above The Scourge.  Sylvanas loves The Forsaken the same as a common wife beater loves his battered wife. 

And the rest of The Horde are simply tools for her.  She doesn't even respect Baine, though she and The Forsaken owe their current existence to his generosity in bringing them into The Horde after being rejected by The Alliance as abominations.  Her only desire is more power and more Forsaken, but she'll gladly sacrifice any that dare question or challenge her, because her sights are set on Stormwind and turning all of Humanity into more undead to serve her.

This is pretty much how I see Sylvanas as of now.  The issue really is how Blizz expect us to buy into any narrative of following her, either blindly or reluctantly, when we see how she acts and what she is prepared to do.  Saurfang has clearly shown what he thinks of that and there are many players who think he has a point and that a new Warchief is essential for the Horde for story sense (as much as for player satisfaction). 

If Blizz turn this into some revelation that Sylvanas really did it all for us then it will fail because her actions will be inconsistent and the idea that the end justifies the means is not one players are keen to swallow (Teldrassil - firebombing a defenseless city - just being the latest atrocity to add to our repertoire of "morally grey, war is hell" actions: Southshore - forsaken blight, Theramore - mana bomb).

The other thing is the precedence given to the Forsaken and their methods in the War Campaign is tainting the Horde.  Killing your enemies is one thing but Horde values demand fallen enemies be treated with respect as part of the fundamental code of honour and decency at it's heart.  Raising those enemies as undead and turning them into Forsaken to aid you in betraying all they held dear in life is monstrous and pure Lich King behaviour (it is of course what Arthas did to Sylvanas and she has learned the lesson all too well).  We are all now accomplices in this.

The tension between having an undead race as part of a faction when it's really antipathetic to all living creatures is becoming a more obvious problem.  Callia Menethil  presents interesting possibilities in that regard.  Also, the introduction of death knights on both factions has long shown that you could bring undead characters in game and tie them to the living without the death cult / blight plague elements that seem to brand the Forsaken everyone's potential enemy.  Do what to do with the Forsaken?  Nathanos looked a possible replacement to Sylvanas as leader of the Forsaken but he is too much her unquestioning loyal right hand in game.  If the Forsaken were to split between factions then he and Callia look the obvious choices.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Sholto said:

And I don't believe that the novel authors are merely puppets for some internal executive or committee.  They'll be brought in as partners and guided for sure but you would not get good material by hiring writers and taking away their creative input.

I can't agree with you on this though.  Neither Golden, nor any of the others, is the writer of the warcraft / wow storyline and they are directed as to what events and developments to dramatise, i.e. they are asked to make compelling stories out of outlines that the game developers have mapped out well in advance.  Otherwise the game would have to follow the writers choices rather than the other way round.

12 hours ago, TheOrcvader said:

But I hope your opening line doesn't justify the harassment of Christine Golden because that is still a lame, deplorable, childish set of actions by the people giving those of us who enjoy this hobby a bad name...

No, these people are a toxic element of both game culture in particular and fanboi culture in general.  

I was pointing out that whomever wrote this blog shouldn't be puzzled by where criticism is being directed though, because Sylvanas was not revealed to be evil in "Warbringers", that occurred slightly earlier in her latest novel.  And the novel's are canon, and considered canon by Blizzard themselves, not fan fiction or some extended universe of happy suppositions or interesting "what ifs".  

WoW lore support and reference authorities have been slow to incorporate its information about where things are now that BfA has started is really behind and not based on all of the available information.  This blogger is right to call out the toxic behavior, but for the behavior itself.  Their judgement and puzzlement over its target reveals they should have maybe done a little homework and framed that part of this post to be less naive.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cowabunga said:

This is pretty much how I see Sylvanas as of now.  The issue really is how Blizz expect us to buy into any narrative of following her, either blindly or reluctantly, when we see how she acts and what she is prepared to do.  Saurfang has clearly shown what he thinks of that and there are many players who think he has a point and that a new Warchief is essential for the Horde for story sense (as much as for player satisfaction)....

Well, for players this is likely at least partially by design.   If they're only going on "Warbringers" and the events unfolding in game (I'm making some assumptions here because I haven't started leveling a Horde toon through BfA yet), then they are basing their alignment to Sylvanas and the Horde "cause" based on maybe even slightly more information than your average Horde member would have.    They know as much as Saurfang, which is more than a grunt would know about her.

Their alignment and devotion to her and the direction she's taking the Horde is just another example of toxic nationalism, solidarity and why blindly following leaders, thinking "I'm just doing my orders/duty" is so dangerous.  Cynically though, I think players likely need no other reasoning than, "yeah, for the Horde!  Kill the Alliance!" and be okay with that simple mindedness, or the notion that anything goes "in war."

Prior to the events of "Warbringers" only Sylvanas' most trusted and closest advisers and enforcers know how evil she is, oh, and Anduin, Genn, the rest of the top Alliance leadership, Archbishop Alonsus Faol, and everyone else at the Netherlight Temple.  I can only assume that Magni Bronzebeard's participation in the Horde part of BfA to acquire and charge up the Heart of Azeroth means he's in the dark and is doing so under the assumption that Horde players are involved in an effort to save Azeroth.  Because her use of Azerite has, from the very beginning, been corrupt and she's only patronized Baine's efforts and desire to heal the planet.   

In fact, the  Goblin engineer originally charged with research into Azerite rebelled and unsuccessfully tried to scuttle all the research so that Sylvanas couldn't put it to use for evil and destruction, or weapons of any kind.  He'll  be perhaps the first unsung tragic hero of this whole mess, the first to take some kind of stand against her.  I'm curious if his ultimate fate will be revealed in game.

The other thing is the precedence given to the Forsaken and their methods in the War Campaign is tainting the Horde.  Killing your enemies is one thing but Horde values demand fallen enemies be treated with respect as part of the fundamental code of honour and decency at it's heart.  Raising those enemies as undead and turning them into Forsaken to aid you in betraying all they held dear in life is monstrous and pure Lich King behaviour (it is of course what Arthas did to Sylvanas and she has learned the lesson all too well).  We are all now accomplices in this.

Except here you have to separate The Forsaken from Sylvanas.  They, as a people, have more nuance than this.  It has only been certain power hungry individuals within, and now Sylvanas, that wants to make more Forsaken.  They do not have a hate for the living except what has been burned into them by Sylvanas.  She has taken away their hope.  She has projected her own issues to them and she has been mentally conditioning them to see her and her alone as all that they have and convinced them that she has their best interests at heart.   They, many of them, do not want to live forever and welcome the normality of death even.

But the average Forsaken craves connection with their living relatives and though sometimes muted, bonds with other living beings.  Anduin witnessed this himself and had his own prejudices against them challenged.  It was this desire for connection that threatened Sylvanas and ultimately lead to her conspiring to slaughter The Desolate Council and turn it into an "I told you so" moment to pin the whole thing on Anduin and The Alliance. 

As a bonus, she also got to murder Calia Menethil, but all of this ultimately backfired on her because that set in motion the holy undeath of the rightful leader to the people of Lordaeron.  And in the process, even Genn has changed his opinion of The Forsaken and is able to separate Sylvanas, who isn't really even the same as them anyhow, from who they represent as a people.  He and The Alliance know that the average Horde citizen is completely in the dark about who and what she is.  In the meantime, they're following their leader and there is no other mechanism than war and insurrection to remedy her.  They can't just send an email CC'd to "All" saying "she sucks, you're stupid to follow such a lamer."  They're going to have to come to that conclusion on their own, or die fighting in a war she started for no good reason.

Nathanos looked a possible replacement to Sylvanas as leader of the Forsaken but he is too much her unquestioning loyal right hand in game.  If the Forsaken were to split between factions then he and Callia look the obvious choices.  Time will tell.

Yeah, currently he's simply her lap dog.  He's the single most complicit character right now and right with her for everything, including the genocide against Humans to create more Forsaken.  If he's going to somehow turn hero and against her, he's still in need of convincing.

I can't agree with you on this though.  Neither Golden, nor any of the others, is the writer of the warcraft / wow storyline and they are directed as to what events and developments to dramatise, i.e. they are asked to make compelling stories out of outlines that the game developers have mapped out well in advance.  Otherwise the game would have to follow the writers choices rather than the other way round.

Having worked with writers in similar situations and around these sorts of creative jobs I would have to actually see a "blue post" that confirms these are simply writer for hire with no influence over story.  Because guy on the street has a lot of assumptions about creative jobs that come from simply having no idea how any of this really works.  No offense.

Edited by Sholto

6 hours ago, Asthlynn said:

Well I guess people are forgetting what Lok’tar Ogar means, means Victory or Death. Not Honor, but Survival. People forget that the Horde is about Survival and not Honor. The reason as to why so many Horde players have conflict with Sylvanas, because they themselves have forgotten what Survival is to the races of The Horde. 

That's all fine and good on a bumper sticker, because that's where bumper sticker politics belong.  The truth is Sylvanas is the biggest threat to the "survival" of the Horde.  Full stop.

In the wake of the cooperative victory against The Legion there was no threat to The Horde.  They're now fighting for survival in a fight she threw them in because of her own lack of character, greed and inner demons.   Only an idiot lives by a credo based on pressure they invent for themselves.  

edit: that motto is also from a dysfunctional culture that has evolved some since it was created.  And it does not represent the culture of the Tauren or, for the most part, the Troll.  Orcs are damaged and see everything as a threat because they have been the threat for so long and see the world very simply, or did.  But if that's all they have, if that's all they're about, then nobody should shed a tear if it's one day decided that everyone would be better off if they were all hunted down and exterminated.  Even they would be better off if all that defined them was "Lok'tar Ogar" and they were okay with that.  It's an existence that's sad, and worthy of violence, not admirable.

Edited by Sholto

On 8/22/2018 at 5:59 PM, Sholto said:

Except here you have to separate The Forsaken from Sylvanas.  They, as a people, have more nuance than this.  It has only been certain power hungry individuals within, and now Sylvanas, that wants to make more Forsaken.  They do not have a hate for the living except what has been burned into them by Sylvanas.  She has taken away their hope.  She has projected her own issues to them and she has been mentally conditioning them to see her and her alone as all that they have and convinced them that she has their best interests at heart.   They, many of them, do not want to live forever and welcome the normality of death even.

But the average Forsaken craves connection with their living relatives and though sometimes muted, bonds with other living beings.  Anduin witnessed this himself and had his own prejudices against them challenged.  It was this desire for connection that threatened Sylvanas and ultimately lead to her conspiring to slaughter The Desolate Council and turn it into an "I told you so" moment to pin the whole thing on Anduin and The Alliance. 

The novel did this but I don't really see any of it in game which is the disappointing part.  Nathanos tells us how he loathes humans and wants to destroy Stormwind and raise every last citizen to serve Sylvanas.  It's too much a caricature of the Lich King and the scourge and this genocidal viewpoint is too obviously repellent but it's not just Nathanos as her loyal right hand.  It's the likes of Lillian Voss seemingly fine with anyone being turned into a Forsaken despite the trauma and the toll it took on her personally.

Moving away from specific Forsaken to the Horde in general, it's characters like Rexar and Occuleth knowing full well that they are undertaking a mission to recover the corpses of dead enemies (or desecrate graveyards) and raise them as undead and set them to betraying everything they held dear in life.  These characters seem to unquestioningly accept that the end justifies the means and hold their noses while the likes of Amalia Stone, Marshal Valentine and a certain crown prince are all retrieved (or not) and turned into obedient servants of Sylvanas.  It's a 12+ game but you don't have to be 12 to understand this is wrong and why any living being should shudder at the idea of doing this.  Given what happened to Saurfang's son it seems he was removed from the early storyline as he simply would not have stood for this: other characters can quell their misgivings or rationalise it as necessary but no way would he accept doing to others what was done to him and his son.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:59 PM, Sholto said:

Having worked with writers in similar situations and around these sorts of creative jobs I would have to actually see a "blue post" that confirms these are simply writer for hire with no influence over story.  Because guy on the street has a lot of assumptions about creative jobs that come from simply having no idea how any of this really works.  No offense.

None taken.  I simply don't believe Ion Hazzikostas or Blizzard in general surrendered the creative direction of their franchise and game over to any of the writers hired to compliment game revenue by earning book revenue.  The broad strokes of the storyline are not for the writers to decide and the game really does not follow what they come up with: if it did the novels wold have to be written years in advance to enable the game developers to see where they should be going with plot.  So I won't hold Christie Golden's feet to the coals for the plot of the novel.

4 hours ago, Cowabunga said:

The novel did this but I don't really see any of it in game which is the disappointing part...

I don't see much of it yet, but nevertheless, apart from something like "Durotar", which follows the alternate timeline of the Warcraft film, and doesn't have any connection to the in-game universe, the EU of the novels are cannon and they apply directly to what's happening in game until such time as it's altered in game.  But these authors are not puppets and the development of these stories is collaborative when it's not a proposal agreed to and given support to as a matter of review and then adoption.

These other characters perhaps going against their own natures (why no mention of Baine, who's being played for a stooge, even though Sylvanas owes her life and the survival of The Forsaken up to now to him?) is easy enough to understand when it happens in real life all the time.  In fact, it's a danger to be expected in the general population of people, who will do the most vile of things under the cover of believing it's for "the greater good."

That is the true revelation of the Milgram Experiment.  It's long been incorrectly interpreted as the subjects being cruel because of some combination of anonymity and no consequences but that wasn't it at all.  The subjects were coerced with the assertion that what they were doing was for science and ultimately a benefit and most had to be prompted to the point where failure to act in a cruel way was presented as failure, and ultimately something that put the experiment in jeopardy, to say nothing of the implication that it reflected poorly on their participation in something scientific.

Until more of the Horde put their own convictions ahead of this lie that what they're doing is for the good or the survival of The Horde they will do this and more.  Much more.  It is only individual character that will let a few rise above and recognize the evil of what is being done.

And then you have even the survivors of trauma showing a lot of selfishness and indifference to the experience of others.  Battered wives are not known for raising daughters who are strong and who will never let themselves be victimized.  It is more often than not the character and strength of the child who decides for themselves they will never live a certain way, even if their life has predisposed them to continue the cycle of abuse.  This can be a subconscious cycle or it can be consciously imposed on another, with the idea that "I survived, you're not better than me so you'll survive too..."   I see this same mentality all the time in my own industry which started out normalizing employee abuse (lots of overtime, not always pay for it) where the incoming workers not putting up with it or complaining about it are seen as weaker or troublemakers.  I did the work so who are you to think you're above putting up with it?  That sort of thing.  

Personally, I like that these aren't simplified, black and white, good and evil, two-dimensional characters or dilemmas.  All of this happens all the time in real life and though it's still stylized the nuance gives WoW lore and story evolution a richness that you simply do not find elsewhere, even if a majority of the player base barely pays attention.  I know I didn't for a long time.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:53 PM, Sholto said:

These other characters perhaps going against their own natures (why no mention of Baine, who's being played for a stooge, even though Sylvanas owes her life and the survival of The Forsaken up to now to him?) is easy enough to understand when it happens in real life all the time.  In fact, it's a danger to be expected in the general population of people, who will do the most vile of things under the cover of believing it's for "the greater good."

That is the true revelation of the Milgram Experiment.  It's long been incorrectly interpreted as the subjects being cruel because of some combination of anonymity and no consequences but that wasn't it at all.  The subjects were coerced with the assertion that what they were doing was for science and ultimately a benefit and most had to be prompted to the point where failure to act in a cruel way was presented as failure, and ultimately something that put the experiment in jeopardy, to say nothing of the implication that it reflected poorly on their participation in something scientific.

Until more of the Horde put their own convictions ahead of this lie that what they're doing is for the good or the survival of The Horde they will do this and more.  Much more.  It is only individual character that will let a few rise above and recognize the evil of what is being done.

It's a matter of degree.  Necromancy is a big taboo and all living species should and do (in game) share a revulsion of it.  It's something that can just as easily be turned on them - as indeed Sylvanas taunts Saurfang with at the battle of the UC, and she actually goes a step further by using blight to kill both Alliance and Horde forces and raise them as skeletal minions.  That's a bit too much surely?  And the war campaign simply establishes raising your enemies and turning them into your own personal shock troops as a legitimate ploy to secure a tactical advantage, not as some ultimate and drastic decision necessary to save the Horde from certain annihilation.

The obvious point is if you have the wrong leader you are forced to go along with it or face accusations of treason and betraying your own cause, that's the rub of it.  Thrall or Vol'jin would not contemplate these actions but since we have the wrong leader we are led into moral turpitude out of an obligation to follow orders.  We know where that has led in real life, we surely don't need to play out the moral in game?

As to the bolded: ideology will often provide a justification for a segment to the population to do terrible things but I would disagree that the majority are persuaded by that, it's often a militant or extreme minority who use force to secure their aims and views (e.g. ISIS) and there is always significant dissent or conflict over those objectives and methods.  In game, the Kor'kron Guard became Garrosh's loyal foot soldiers and seemed to share his racial prejudices and currently the Forsaken are in danger of doing the same for Sylvanas.  Garrosh was opposed by the bulk of the Horde and for all Blizzard's attempts at nuance Sylvanas is putting herself in the same position. 

Who in the Horde wants Stormwind destroyed so all it's citizens can be raised as new Forsaken?  What need would the Forsaken have of the Horde then?  Necromancy and Sylvanas's ambitions should send a shiver down living Horde spines.

There was no significant dissent in Germany in WWII  (yes, I know, I went there).  Where is the significant dissent in Israel?  Where is the significant dissent in the USA?  

I think history proves that the masses often take their time to reach a point where the abominable actions of their leaders/representatives/institutions are seen as too much and they take action to put them down from within.  And then again, sometimes they never get there and that which they're complicit in requires an outside force and violence for it to end.

And seeing this play out in game, in any media for that matter, is what gives it a sense of truth.  You may laugh but that's the job of art and as disappointed as I am with the teams behind class mechanics the folks at Blizz who create this world are artists and though not solely responsible for why this MMO has endured while so many comers have fallen over the years, the way they create the world and how it reflects our own in subtle and not so subtle ways, is very likely part of it.  Pure fantasy, based on nothing true or real, is disposable and forgettable, like pop music.

Sylvanas' ambitions should send a shiver down the spine of the Horde, but more than that, they should and would disturb a growing number within The Forsaken itself.  And that is why she's not up front about it.  That's why only her most trusted inner circle know, and know that there was no threat against the Horde that precipitated this war for its continued survival, she lead them into the war for her ambitions and put them in jeopardy and made them the literal enemy of the world (edit: any single orc participating in the burning of the World Tree betrays the nobility and heritage of the orcs who fought alongside night elves to protect the World Tree, despite the fact that they were not welcome in The Alliance after killing Cenarius and the fact of their fel taint...this action even changed the mind of Cenarius whose spirit watched from within the Emerald Dream, an event and personal revelation not unlike the recent re-evaluation that Greymane has made with respect to The Forsaken).  (edit2: I bet Sylvanas would sacrifice every single citizen of Loredaeron if it meant she gained the inhabitants of Stormwind as new Forsaken).

Now we have to see how and when they discover how they've been played and what they intend to do about it.  If Blizz says that Sylvanas will not be Garrosh 2.0 there's a few ways to interpret that.  Perhaps the Horde will not participate in the overthrow of Sylvanas and they will always be on the wrong side of this.  Or perhaps it will mostly be an internal coup and despite the efforts of The Alliance, it's The Horde itself who will be the most instrumental in her downfall.  

I'm not holding my breath for her to suddenly get her soul back and go, "my bad."

edit: but I think The Horde will also need to confront the truth that Garrosh, villain for sure, had a point in his convictions.   Regardless of what members of The Horde consider The Horde, it was created by an even greater villain than Garrosh for evil intentions and was purely an Orcish organization and based on Orcish culture with an evil mission.   The Horde conflict against The Alliance is an inversion of the European colonization and rape of The New World and ironically the Humans and The Alliance represent indigenous people, with the Tauren, Trolls, and other indigenous races of Azeroth taking on the roll of collaborators and traitors to their own world.  Or, that's at least one way to look at it based on the facts.  And yet I wonder how many Horde players even on RP servers look beyond the aesthetics and visual influences on various Horde cultures to see this possibility when they've, for years, claimed that it's not good versus evil in the conflict between Horde and Alliance and cast themselves, as various races of The Horde, as POC and indigenous defenders and minorities kept down by the awful Alliance.  The truth is, none of them may be able to ever be free of conflict or achieve their best selves so long as they are part of "The Horde" because it's an organization that began evil and seems destined to corrupt itself and return to evil, demanding solidarity above all else.   And that is definitely a lesson for IRL.

Edited by Sholto

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      We've summarized all class changes that went live in the fourth War Within Alpha build!
      Death Knight
      Unholy Bond- Increases the effectiveness of your Runeforge effects by 10% 20%. Veteran of the Third War- Blood: Stamina increased by 40% 50%. Damage taken reduced by 10%. Frost, Unholy: Stamina increased by 10% 20%. Suppression- Damage taken from area of effect attacks reduced by 3%. When suffering a loss of control effect, this bonus is increased by an additional 6% for 6 sec. Bloody Fortitude- Icebound Fortitude reduces all damage you take by up to an additional 20% based on your missing health. Killing enemies that grant honor or experience reduce an enemy that yields experience or honor reduces the cooldown of Icebound Fortitude by 3 sec. Painful Death- Reaper's Mark deals 10% increased damage and Exterminate empowers an additional Obliterate, but now reduces its cost by 1 Rune and its first scythe has a 50% increased chance to apply Reaper's Mark. Additionally, Exterminate now has a 30% chance to apply Reaper's Mark. Icy Talons- Your Runic Power spending abilities increase your melee attack speed by 3% 6% for 10 sec, stacking up to 3 times. Sudden Doom- Your auto attacks have a 25% chance to make your next Death Coil or Epidemic cost no Runic Power and critically strike. Rider's Champion- Spending Runes has a chance to call forth the aid of a Horsemen for 0 10 sec. Mograine Casts Death and Decay at his location that follows his position. Whitemane Casts Undeath on your target dealing [ 12.71% of Attack Power ] Shadowfrost damage per stack every 3 sec, for 24 sec. Each time Undeath deals damage it gains a stack. Cannot be Refreshed. Trollbane Casts chains Chains of Ice on your target slowing their movement speed by 70% 40% and increasing the damage they take from you by 5% for 8 sec. Nazgrim While Nazgrim is active you gain Apocalyptic Conquest, increasing your Strength by 5%. Assimilation- The amount absorbed by Anti-Magic Zone is increased by 10% and grants up to 100 Runic Power based on the amount absorbed its cooldown is reduced by 30 sec. Blood Draw- When you fall below 30% health you drain 0 health from nearby enemies, the damage you take is reduced by 10% and your Death Strike cost is reduced by 10 for 8 sec. Can only occur every 3 min. Ebon Fever- Virulent Plague deals Diseases deal 15% more damage over time in half the duration Cleaving Strikes-  Scourge Strike hits up to 7 additional enemies while you remain in Death and Decay. When leaving your Death and Decay you retain its bonus effects for 4 sec. Festermight- Popping a Festering Wound increases your Strength by 1% for 20 sec stacking. Does not refresh duration Multiple instances may overlap. Blood Scent- Increases Leech by 3% 5%. Doomed Bidding (New)- Consuming Sudden Doom calls upon a Magus of the Dead to assist you for 8 sec. Null Magic (New)- Magic Damage taken is reduced by 10% and the duration of harmful Magic effects against you are reduced by 35%. Menacing Magus (New)- Your Magus of the Dead Shadow Bolt now fires a volley of Shadow Bolts at up to 4 nearby enemies. [NYI] Under Construction (New)- This talent is not yet implemented and is waiting to be raised from the dead. Raise Abomination (New)- Raises an Abomination for 30 sec which wanders and attacks enemies, applying Festering Wound when it melees targets, and affecting all those nearby with Virulent Plague. Runic Protection (New)- Your chance to be critically struck is reduced by 3% and your Armor is increased by 3%. Vestigial Shell (New)- Casting Anti-Magic Shell grants 2 nearby allies a Lesser Anti-Magic Shell that Absorbs up to [ 425% of Attack Power ] magic damage and reduces the duration of harmful Magic effects against them by 50%. Foul Infections (New)- Your diseases deal 10% more damage and have a 5% increased chance to critically strike. [NYI] Under Construction (New)- This talent is not yet implemented and is waiting to be raised from the dead. Ice Prison (New)- Chains of Ice now also roots enemies for 4 sec but its cooldown is increased to 12 sec. Osmosis (New)- Anti-Magic Shell increases healing received by 15%. Subduing Grasp (New)- When you pull an enemy the damage they deal to you is reduced by 4% for 6 sec. Demon Hunter
      Student of Suffering- Sigil of Flame applies can apply Student of Suffering to you, increasing Mastery by [ 800% of mas ]% and granting 5 Fury every 2 sec, for 8 sec. Demonic Intensity- Activating Metamorphosis greatly empowers Fel Devastation, Immolation Aura and Sigil of Flame. Demonsurge damage is increased by 10% for each time it previously triggered while your demon form is active. Evoker
      Temporal Compression- Each cast of a Bronze spell causes your next empower spell to reach maximum level in 5% 10% less time, stacking up to 4 times. Time Convergence- Abilities with a 45 second or longer cooldown grant 10% 5% Intellect for 15 sec. Defensive abilities grant 10% 5% Stamina for 15 sec. Essence spells extend the duration by 1 sec. Arcane Reach (New)- The range of your helpful magics is increased by 5 yards. Mage
      Death's Chill- While Icy Veins is active, gain 1% increased damage for each enemy hit by Frostbolt damaging an enemy with Frostbolt increases spell damage by 1%. Lit Fuse- Consuming Hot Streak has a 5% chance to grant you Lit Fuse. Lit Fuse : Your next Phoenix Flames Fire Blast turn turns up to three struck nearby targets into a Living Bomb that explodes after 2 sec, dealing [ 30% 60% of Spell Power ] Fire damage to the target and reduced damage to all other enemies within 10 yds. Up to five enemies hit by this explosion also become a Living Bomb, but this effect cannot spread further. Living Bomb- The target becomes a Living Bomb, taking 0 Fire damage over 2 sec, and then exploding to deal an additional [ 30% 60% of Spell Power ] Fire damage to the target and reduced damage to all other enemies within 10 yds. Other enemies hit by this explosion also become a Living Bomb, but this effect cannot spread further. Volatile Magic- Whenever an Embedded Arcane Splinter is removed, or recalled, it explodes, dealing [ 10% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to nearby enemies. Deals reduced damage beyond 5 targets. Explosivo- Casting Combustion grants Lit Fuse. While under the effects of Combustion, consuming Hot Streak has a 30% increased chance of granting you Lit Fuse your chance of gaining Lit Fuse while under the effects of Combustion is increased to 30%. Improved Scorch- Casting Scorch on targets below 4% 30% health increase the target's damage taken from you by 4% 5% for 12 sec. This effect stacks up to 2 times. Feel the Burn- Fire Blast and Phoenix Flames increase your mastery by [ 200% 300% of mas ]% for 6 5 sec. This effect stacks up to 3 times. Kindling- Your Fireball, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Scorch and Phoenix Flames critical strikes reduce the remaining cooldown on Combustion by [ 1,000 / 1,000.1 ] sec. Flamestrike critical strikes reduce the remaining cooldown of Combustion by 0.2 sec for each critical strike, up to 1 sec. Controlled Destruction- Damaging a target with Pyroblast increases the damage it receives from Ignite by 2% 1%. Stacks up to 25 times. Unleashed Inferno- While Combustion is active your Fireball, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Scorch, and Phoenix Flames deal 50% 60% increased damage and reduce the cooldown of Combustion by 1.25 sec. While Combustion is active, Flamestrike deals 25% 35% increased damage and reduces the cooldown of Combustion by 0.25 sec for each critical strike, up to 1.25 sec. Monk
      Windwalker Monk (Spec Aura) - Decreases damage/healing by 10%: Refreshing Jade Wind and Rushing Jade Wind. Jade Ignition- Whenever you deal damage to a target with Fists of Fury, you gain a stack of Chi Energy up to a maximum of 30 stacks. Using Spinning Crane Kick will cause the energy to detonate in a Chi Explosion, dealing [ 65% 85% of Attack Power ] Nature damage to all enemies within 8 yards. The damage is increased by 5% for each stack of Chi Energy. Improved Invoke Niuzao, the Black Ox- Purifying Stagger damage while Niuzao is active, increases the damage of Niuza's next Stomp by 25% of damage purified, split between all enemies. While Niuzao is active, Purifying Brew increases the damage of Niuzao's next Stomp based on Stagger level.  Fury of Xuen- Your Combo Strikes grant a stacking 1% chance for your next Fists of Fury to grant 5% haste critical strike and invoke Xuen, The White Tiger for 8 10 sec. Anvil & Stave- Each time you dodge or an enemy misses you, the remaining cooldown on your Brews is reduced by 0.5 sec. This effect can only occur once every 3 sec Effect reduced for each recent melee attacker. Black Ox Adept (New)- Rising Sun Kick grants a charge of Ox Stance. August Blessing (New)- When you would be healed above maximum health, you instead convert an amount equal to 40% of your critical strike chance to a heal over time effect. Ferocity of Xuen (New)- Increases all damage dealt by 2%. One With the Wind (New)- You have a 10% chance to not reset your Elusive Brawler stacks after a successful dodge. Elixir of Determination (New)- When you fall below 40% health, you gain an absorb for 100% of your recently Purified damage, or a minimum of 20% of your maximum health. Cannot occur more than once every 15 sec. Memory of the Monastery (New)- Tiger Palm's chance to activate Blackout Kick! is increased by 15% and consuming Teachings of the Monastery grants you 1.0% haste for 5 sec equal to the amount of stacks consumed. Heightened Guard (New)- Ox Stance will now trigger when an attack is larger than 50% of your current health. Ox Stance (New)- Casting Purifying Brew grants a charge of Ox Stance, increased based on Stagger level. When you take damage that is greater than 60% of your current health, a charge is consumed to increase the amount you Stagger. Strike At Dawn (New)- Rising Sun Kick grants a stack of Elusive Brawler. Priest
      Shadow Covenant- Casting Mindbender enters you into a shadowy pact, transforming Halo, Divine Star, and Penance into Shadow spells and increasing the damage and healing of your Shadow spells by 10% while active. Collapsing Void- Each time Penance damages or heals, Entropic Rift is empowered, increasing its damage and size by 20% 10%. After Entropic Rift ends, it collapses and pulls enemies within 15 yds, dealing [ 500% 550% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage split between all nearby enemies amongst them. Entropic Rift- Mind Blast tears open an Entropic Rift that follows the enemy for 10 sec. Enemies caught in its path suffer [ 100% 80% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage every 1 sec while within its reach. Rogue
      Underhanded Upper Hand- Slice and Dice does not lose duration during Blade Flurry. Blade Flurry does not lose duration during Adrenaline Rush. Adrenaline Rush does not lose duration while Stealthed. Stealth abilities can be used for an additional 3 sec after Stealth breaks. Double Dance- N/A Shadow Dance has 1 additional charge. Kingsbane- Release a lethal poison from your weapons and inject it into your target, dealing [ 119% of Attack Power ] Nature damage instantly and an additional [ 131.62% 140% of Attack Power ] Nature damage over 14 sec. Each time you apply a Lethal Poison to a target affected by Kingsbane, Kingsbane damage increases by 20%, up to 1,000%. Awards 1 combo points. Crackshot- Between the Eyes has no cooldown and also Dispatches the target for 75% 50% of normal damage when used from Stealth. Tight Spender- Energy cost of finishing moves reduced by 10% 6%. Thief's Versatility- Versatility increased by 4% 3%. Invigorating Shadowdust- Vanish reduces the remaining cooldown of your other Rogue abilities by 15.0 10.0 sec. Cut to the Chase- Assassination: Envenom extends the duration of Slice and Dice by up to 3 sec per combo point spent. Outlaw: Dispatch extends the duration of Slice and Dice by up to 3 sec per combo point spent. Subtlety: Eviscerate extends the duration of Slice and Dice by up to 3 sec per combo point spent. Ace Up Your Sleeve- Between the Eyes has a 5% chance per combo point spent to grant 5 4 combo points. Adrenaline Rush- Increases your Energy regeneration rate by 60% 50%, your maximum Energy by 50, and your attack speed by 20% for 20 sec. Indiscriminate Carnage- Garrote and Rupture apply to 2 additional nearby enemies when used from Stealth and for 10 6 sec after breaking Stealth. Serrated Bone Spike- Embed a bone spike in the target, dealing [ 158.4% 120% of Attack Power ] Physical damage and [ 13.2% 12% of Attack Power ] Bleed damage every 3 sec until they die or leave combat. Refunds a charge when target dies. Awards 1 combo point plus 1 additional per active bone spike. Unseen Blade- Feint now grants 2 combo points and quickly slashes with an Unseen Blade dealing [ 70% 80% of Attack Power ] damage to nearby enemies. Targets struck are Fazed for 5 sec. Fazed enemies take 5% more damage from you and cannot parry your attacks. Subterfuge- Your abilities Abilities and combat benefits requiring Stealth can still be used remain active for 3 sec after Stealth breaks. Improved Garrote- Garrote deals 50% increased damage and has no cooldown when used from Stealth and for 3 6 sec after breaking Stealth. Premeditation- After entering Stealth, your next Shadowstrike grants up to 10 sec of Slice and dice, and generates 2 additional combo points if Slice and Dice is active combo point generating ability generates full combo points. Count the Odds- Ambush, Sinister Strike, and Dispatch have a 8% 10% chance to grant you a Roll the Bones combat enhancement buff you do not already have for 5 8 sec. Duration and chance doubled while Stealthed. Shadow Focus- Abilities cost 10% 5% less Energy while Stealth or Shadow Dance is active. Black Ox Adept (New)- Rising Sun Kick grants a charge of Ox Stance. August Blessing (New)- When you would be healed above maximum health, you instead convert an amount equal to 40% of your critical strike chance to a heal over time effect. Ferocity of Xuen (New)- Increases all damage dealt by 2%. One With the Wind (New)- You have a 10% chance to not reset your Elusive Brawler stacks after a successful dodge. Elixir of Determination (New)- When you fall below 40% health, you gain an absorb for 100% of your recently Purified damage, or a minimum of 20% of your maximum health. Cannot occur more than once every 15 sec. Memory of the Monastery (New)- Tiger Palm's chance to activate Blackout Kick! is increased by 15% and consuming Teachings of the Monastery grants you 1.0% haste for 5 sec equal to the amount of stacks consumed. Heightened Guard (New)- Ox Stance will now trigger when an attack is larger than 50% of your current health. Ox Stance (New)- Casting Purifying Brew grants a charge of Ox Stance, increased based on Stagger level. When you take damage that is greater than 60% of your current health, a charge is consumed to increase the amount you Stagger. Strike At Dawn (New)- Rising Sun Kick grants a stack of Elusive Brawler. Shaman
      Lightning Rod- Earth Shock, Lightning Bolt, Elemental Blast, and Earthquake Chain Lightning make your target a Lightning Rod for 8 sec. Lightning Rods take 20% of all damage you deal with Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. Tempest (New)- Every 40 Maelstrom Weapon stacks spent replaces your next Lightning Bolt with Tempest. Tempest Tempest 0.200000002980232% of Base Mana 40 yd range 2 sec cast Deal [ 180% of Spell Power ] Nature damage to your target, and [ 126% of Spell Power ] Nature damage to other enemy targets within 8 yds of your target. Arc Discharge (New)- When Tempest strikes more than one target, your next 3 Chain Lightning spells are instant cast and deal 75% increased damage. Nature's Protection (New)- Targets struck by your Tempest deal 10% less damage to you for 6 sec. Supercharge (New)- Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning have a 35% chance to refund 3 Maelstrom Weapon stacks. Awakening Storms (New)- Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning have a chance to strike your target for [ 50% of Spell Power ] Nature damage. Every 3 times this occurs, your next Lightning Bolt is replaced by Tempest. Unlimited Power (New)- Spending Maelstrom Weapon stacks grants you 3% haste for 15 sec, stacking. Gaining a new stack does not refresh the duration. Shocking Grasp (New)- Your Nature damage critical strikes reduce the target's movement speed by 50% for 3 sec. Voltaic Surge (New)- Crash Lightning, Chain Lightning, and Earthquake damage increased by 15%. Tempest (New)- Increases the critical strike chance of your Nature damage spells by 10% and the critical strike damage of your Nature spells by 5%. Storm Swell (New)- When Tempest only strikes a single target, gain 3 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon. Rolling Thunder (New)- Tempest summons a Nature Feral Spirit for until cancelled. Conductive Energy (NYI) (New)- Gain the effects of the Lightning Rod talent: Lightning Rod Lightning Bolt, Elemental Blast, and Chain Lightning make your target a Lightning Rod for 8 sec. Lightning Rods take 20% of all damage you deal with Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. THIS IS NYI Surging Currents (New)- After using Tempest, your next Chain Heal, or Healing Surge will be instant cast and consume no Mana. Warlock
      Rain of Fire- Calls down a rain of hellfire, dealing [ 164.9% of Spell Power ] Fire damage over 8 sec to enemies in the area. Rain of Fire has a 20% 10% chance to generate a Soul Shard Fragment. Ruin- Increases the critical strike damage of your Destruction spells Conflagrate, Shadowburn, and Soulfire by 10% 5%. Chaos Incarnate- Chaos Bolt, Rain of Fire, and Shadowburn always gains gain 70% of the maximum benefit from your Mastery: Chaotic Energies. Decimation- Your Incinerate and Conflagrate casts on targets that have 50% 35% or less health reduce the cooldown of Soulfire by 5 sec and reduce its cast time by 40% for 10 sec. Seeds of Their Demise- Blackened Soul damage increased by 30%. Casting Wither directly or refreshing Wither with less than 4 sec remaining causes Wither to gain 3 stacks. When Blackened Soul deals damage, you have a chance to gain Tormented Crescendo. Inferno- Rain of Fire damage is increased by 20% and has a 20% chance to generate a Soul Shard Fragment its cost is reduced by 1. Demoniac- Grants access to the following abilities: Demonbolt Send the fiery soul of a fallen demon at the enemy, causing [ 131.68% of Spell Power ] Shadowflame damage. Generates 2 Soul Shards. Demonic Core When your Wild Imps expend all of their energy or are imploded, you have a 10% chance to absorb their life essence, granting you a stack of Demonic Core. When your summoned Dreadstalkers fade away, you have a 100% 35% chance to absorb their life essence, granting you a stack of Demonic Core. Demonic Core reduces the cast time of Demonbolt by 100%. Maximum 4 stacks. Emberstorm (New)- Increases the damage done by your Fire spells by 2% and reduces the cast time of your Incinerate spell by 10%. Decimating Bolt (New) Affliction, Initial: Hurl bolts of decimating magic at your target, dealing [ 1,469.4% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage and increasing the damage of your next 3 Shadow Bolts or Drain Souls by 40%. Decimating Bolt's damage, and the bonus to Shadow Bolt and Drain Soul both increase as your target's health decreases. Demonology: Hurl bolts of decimating magic at your target, dealing [ 1,469.4% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage and increasing the damage of your next 3 Demonbolts by 40%. Decimating Bolt's damage, and the bonus to Demonbolt both increase as your target's health decreases. Destruction: Hurl bolts of decimating magic at your target, dealing [ 1,469.4% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage and increasing the damage of your next 3 Incinerates by 40%. Decimating Bolt's damage, and the bonus to Incinerate both increase as your target's health decreases. Drain Soul : Hurl bolts of decimating magic at your target, dealing [ 1,469.4% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage and increasing the damage of your next Shadow Bolts or Drain Souls by 40%. Decimating Bolt's damage, and the bonus to Shadow Bolt and Drain Soul both increase as your target's health decreases. Fire and Brimstone : Hurl bolts of decimating magic at your target, dealing [ 1,469.4% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage and increasing the damage of your next 3 Shadow Bolts or Drain Souls by 40%. This value is reduced while using Fire and Brimstone. Decimating Bolt's damage, and the bonus to Shadow Bolt and Drain Soul both increase as your target's health decreases. Devastation (New)- Increases the critical strike chance of your Destruction spells by 5%. Warrior
      Enduring Alacrity- Increases Stamina and Armor by 5% 10% and your Haste by 1% 2%. Protection Warrior (Spec Aura)- Protection Warrior core passive Increases damage/healing by 5%: Bladestorm, Bloodthirst Heal, Charge, Cleave, Deep Wounds, Demolition, Devastator, Dragon Charge, Dreadnaught, Execute, Heroic Leap, Heroic Throw, Impending Victory, Onslaught, Raging Blow, Ravager, Rend, Revenge, Shattering Throw, Shield Bash, Shield Slam, Shockwave, Siegebreaker, Skullsplitter, Slam, Storm Bolt, Thunder Clap, Victory Rush, Warbreaker, Warbringer, Whirlwind, Whirlwind Off-Hand Increases periodic damage/healing by 5%: Bladestorm, Bloodthirst Heal, Charge, Cleave, Deep Wounds, Demolition, Devastator, Dragon Charge, Dreadnaught, Execute, Heroic Leap, Heroic Throw, Impending Victory, Onslaught, Raging Blow, Ravager, Rend, Revenge, Shattering Throw, Shield Bash, Shield Slam, Shockwave, Siegebreaker, Skullsplitter, Slam, Storm Bolt, Thunder Clap, Victory Rush, Warbreaker, Warbringer, Whirlwind, Whirlwind Off-Hand Battering Ram- Shield Charge critical strike chance and critical strike damage increased by 20%, and Shield Charge increases your auto-attack damage and speed by 20% 10% for 20 sec. Devastator- Your auto attacks deal an additional [ 26.96% 35% of Attack Power ] Physical damage and have a 20% chance to reset the remaining cooldown on Shield Slam. Thunder Clap- Blasts all enemies within 8 yards for [ 49.06% 49.1% of Attack Power ] Physical damage and reduces their movement speed by 20% for 10 sec. Deals reduced damage beyond 5 targets. Generates 0 Rage.
    • By Staff
      Technically PvP Podcast and Venruki had the chance to talk to Game Producer George Velev about the new Battleground and PvP in the War Within and we've got the highlights!
      George Velev is a Game Producer focusing on combat design content and PvP / class tuning. He transitioned to production with Shadowlands after starting on the WoW Q&A Team.
      Deephaul Ravine Battleground in the War Within
      The new battleground is a mix of Eye of the Storm and Silver Shard Mines. Two factions start with carts that can be converted and moved for points. A central flag (gemstone) can be captured for more points, offering strategic opportunities. Your team needs to accrue 1,500 points to wi. You get points by controlling carts and capturing the flag. The battleground consists of two graveyards at the start and two near middle, dynamically updating based on the battleground state. Graveyards are designed to be inaccessible for camping. The new BG will be available in all play modes (random, solo queue, pre-made) with some changes in Blitz. General PvP Questions
      Blizzard has no plans for PvP-specific sets at the TWW launch. Blizzard likes how shared tier sets with PvE content have impacted PvP. The Great Vault will no longer offer PvP rewards, the Conquest journey will be updated to give players more control over gear acquisition. The team is considering workarounds to compensate for fewer sockets without the Great Vault. There's an ongoing effort to balance match-ups for healers and potentially increase MMR to incentivize healer participation in solo shuffle. There's an ongoing evaluation of short-duration crowd controls and their impact on gameplay.  Blizzard is committed to providing frequent class balance updates. Blizzard has no plans to replace Rated Battlegrounds with RBG Blitz, as they want to cater to both solo queue players and those preferring to play in groups. You can watch the Technically PvP crew discussing the interview in the video linked here.
    • By Stan
      Check out the latest Monk Class changes from the War Within Alpha Build 54605!
      The reduction in healing/damage of Refreshing Jade Wind and Rushing Jade Wind has been removed. Jade Ignition - The damage dealt by Chi Explosion is up to 85%. Improved Invoke Niuzao, the Black Ox - The effect of increasing Niuzao's Stomp damage now scales based on Stagger level instead of purified damage. Fury of Xuen - The benefit of Fists of Fury was altered from haste to critical strike, and the duration increased to 10 seconds (up from 8). Anvil & Stave - The effect now reduces the remaining cooldown on brews based on the number of recent melee attacks rather than a flat cooldown reduction every 3 seconds. Monks received some new talents that you can find below. Monk Changes
      Windwalker Monk (Spec Aura) - Decreases damage/healing by 10%: Refreshing Jade Wind and Rushing Jade Wind. Jade Ignition- Whenever you deal damage to a target with Fists of Fury, you gain a stack of Chi Energy up to a maximum of 30 stacks. Using Spinning Crane Kick will cause the energy to detonate in a Chi Explosion, dealing [ 65% 85% of Attack Power ] Nature damage to all enemies within 8 yards. The damage is increased by 5% for each stack of Chi Energy. Improved Invoke Niuzao, the Black Ox- Purifying Stagger damage while Niuzao is active, increases the damage of Niuza's next Stomp by 25% of damage purified, split between all enemies. While Niuzao is active, Purifying Brew increases the damage of Niuzao's next Stomp based on Stagger level.  Fury of Xuen- Your Combo Strikes grant a stacking 1% chance for your next Fists of Fury to grant 5% haste critical strike and invoke Xuen, The White Tiger for 8 10 sec. Anvil & Stave- Each time you dodge or an enemy misses you, the remaining cooldown on your Brews is reduced by 0.5 sec. This effect can only occur once every 3 sec Effect reduced for each recent melee attacker. Black Ox Adept (New)- Rising Sun Kick grants a charge of Ox Stance. August Blessing (New)- When you would be healed above maximum health, you instead convert an amount equal to 40% of your critical strike chance to a heal over time effect. Ferocity of Xuen (New)- Increases all damage dealt by 2%. One With the Wind (New)- You have a 10% chance to not reset your Elusive Brawler stacks after a successful dodge. Elixir of Determination (New)- When you fall below 40% health, you gain an absorb for 100% of your recently Purified damage, or a minimum of 20% of your maximum health. Cannot occur more than once every 15 sec. Memory of the Monastery (New)- Tiger Palm's chance to activate Blackout Kick! is increased by 15% and consuming Teachings of the Monastery grants you 1.0% haste for 5 sec equal to the amount of stacks consumed. Heightened Guard (New)- Ox Stance will now trigger when an attack is larger than 50% of your current health. Ox Stance (New)- Casting Purifying Brew grants a charge of Ox Stance, increased based on Stagger level. When you take damage that is greater than 60% of your current health, a charge is consumed to increase the amount you Stagger. Strike At Dawn (New)- Rising Sun Kick grants a stack of Elusive Brawler.
    • By Stan
      Players noticed Jenafur, the secret cat pet, has changed in Patch 10.2.7.
      Jenafur is a secret battle pet in World of Warcraft, introduced in Patch 8.2.5. The secret to obtaining Jenafur involves solving a complex puzzle that begins with speaking to Amara Lunastar in Ashenvale. Amara Lunastar, whose real-life inspiration was a Make-A-Wish recipient named Amara Strande, wanted to immortalize her beloved cat Jenny in the game.
      Before the change, jenafur's model was more detailed and textured, the fur was darker with stripes and shading. The eyes were green and have a striking, menacing look.
      In Patch 10.2.7, Jenafur's model has been updated to a simple, more cartoonish style. The fur is lighter and has a smoother texture with less details. The eyes are orange. The overall look seems less realistic to the prevous model.
      We're not sure if the change was intended, but it may have been a byproduct of another change, keep in mind WoW is nearly 20 years old and updating a cat model in Duskwood can affect many things.
    • By Stan
      We've summarized all Mage changes that went live in the fourth War Within Alpha build.
      Mages are under Blizzard's radar for several builds in a row now. We're highlighting some of the changes below:
      Death's Chill has been simplified. Instead of gaining increased damage based on the number of enemies hit by Frostbolt, now each Frostbolt hit increases spell damage by a flat percentage. Lit Fuse - The affected spell changed from Phoenix Flames to Fire Blast and the damage percentage has been doubled. Living Bomb - Damage dealt significantly buffed. Volatile Magic - The ability will now trigger when an Embedded Arcane Spliter is removed. Improved Scorch - Health threshold buffed from 4% to 30% and damage increase slightly buffed. Feel the Burn - Mastery % increase buffed, duration reduced. Kindling - Flamestrike was added to the list that can reduce the coldown of Combustion.  Controlled Destruction - Ignite damage per Pyroblast hit has been reduced, but is stacks up to 25 times now. Unleash Inferno - Combustion's damage increase and cooldown reduction have been improved. Here are the tooltip changes:
      Mage Changes
      Death's Chill- While Icy Veins is active, gain 1% increased damage for each enemy hit by Frostbolt damaging an enemy with Frostbolt increases spell damage by 1%. Lit Fuse- Consuming Hot Streak has a 5% chance to grant you Lit Fuse. Lit Fuse : Your next Phoenix Flames Fire Blast turn turns up to three struck nearby targets into a Living Bomb that explodes after 2 sec, dealing [ 30% 60% of Spell Power ] Fire damage to the target and reduced damage to all other enemies within 10 yds. Up to five enemies hit by this explosion also become a Living Bomb, but this effect cannot spread further. Living Bomb- The target becomes a Living Bomb, taking 0 Fire damage over 2 sec, and then exploding to deal an additional [ 30% 60% of Spell Power ] Fire damage to the target and reduced damage to all other enemies within 10 yds. Other enemies hit by this explosion also become a Living Bomb, but this effect cannot spread further. Volatile Magic- Whenever an Embedded Arcane Splinter is removed, or recalled, it explodes, dealing [ 10% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to nearby enemies. Deals reduced damage beyond 5 targets. Explosivo- Casting Combustion grants Lit Fuse. While under the effects of Combustion, consuming Hot Streak has a 30% increased chance of granting you Lit Fuse your chance of gaining Lit Fuse while under the effects of Combustion is increased to 30%. Improved Scorch- Casting Scorch on targets below 4% 30% health increase the target's damage taken from you by 4% 5% for 12 sec. This effect stacks up to 2 times. Feel the Burn- Fire Blast and Phoenix Flames increase your mastery by [ 200% 300% of mas ]% for 6 5 sec. This effect stacks up to 3 times. Kindling- Your Fireball, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Scorch and Phoenix Flames critical strikes reduce the remaining cooldown on Combustion by [ 1,000 / 1,000.1 ] sec. Flamestrike critical strikes reduce the remaining cooldown of Combustion by 0.2 sec for each critical strike, up to 1 sec. Controlled Destruction- Damaging a target with Pyroblast increases the damage it receives from Ignite by 2% 1%. Stacks up to 25 times. Unleashed Inferno- While Combustion is active your Fireball, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Scorch, and Phoenix Flames deal 50% 60% increased damage and reduce the cooldown of Combustion by 1.25 sec. While Combustion is active, Flamestrike deals 25% 35% increased damage and reduces the cooldown of Combustion by 0.25 sec for each critical strike, up to 1.25 sec.