Stan

Mal'Ganis Overview

22 posts in this topic

40065-malganis-hero-spotlight.jpg

In our latest Hero overview, we're looking at Mal'Ganis, his abilities, full talents, available skins, and more!

• The latest Heroes of the Storm content patch is available for playtesting on PTR until October 15.
  • The latest PTR patch notes can be found here.

Mal'Ganis (Melee Warrior)

Cunning and intelligent, Mal'Ganis was chosen to bring Arthas Menethil into the Lich King's service. After manipulating the prince into purging Stratholme of life, he finally fell to Frostmourne as Arthas's first act as the Lich King's champion... yet a demon does not die so easily.

Pros

• Crowd control, survivability, sustain damage

Cons

• Easily interrupted, healing reduction

Hero Spotlight

Available Skins

Dreadmachine Mal'Ganis

The Dreadmachine armor provides industrialist Malcom Ganis with incredible strength and a staggering ordinance. Sure, it may draw power from an alien's heart, but only minor hallucinations have occurred... so far.

dreadmachine-malganis-0.png

Abilities

• Vampiric Touch (Trait)
    • Mal'Ganis heals for 45% of damage dealt to enemy Heroes and 15% of damage dealt to non-Heroes.

Primary Abilities

• Fel Claws [Q] (Mana: 50, Cooldown: 8 seconds)
    • Violently slash in the chosen direction, dealing 72 damage to enemies. Reactivate to slash up to 2 more times. The third lash Stuns enemies for 0.75 seconds.

fel-claws.jpg

• Necrotic Embrace [W] (Mana: 30, Cooldown: 8 seconds)
    • Desecrate the air, dealing 110 damage to nearby enemies and gaining 25 Armor for 3 seconds.

necrotic-embrace.jpg

• Night Rush [E] (Mana: 70, Cooldown: 16 seconds)
    • After 0.75 seconds, gain 50% Movement Speed for 2 seconds. While active, Mal'Ganis can move through enemy Heroes and put them to Sleep for 2.5 seconds.

night-rush.jpg

Secondary (Heroic) Abilities

• Carrion Swarm [R1] (Mana: 70, Cooldown: 80 seconds)
    • After 1 second, disperse into an Invulnerable swarm of bats for 3 seconds, dealing 132 damage per second to enemies. Vampiric Touch heals for 100% of Carrion Swarm's damage to Heroes.

carrion-swarm.jpg

• Dark Conversion [R2] (Mana: 70, Cooldown: 80 seconds)
    • Channel on an enemy Hero for 0.75 seconds, then swap Health percentages with the target over 3 seconds.

dark-conversion.jpg

Talents

Level 1

• Winged Guard [W]
    • Each time Necrotic Embrace hits an enemy Hero, gain 50 Physical Armor against the next enemy Hero Basic Attack. If Winged Guard has no charges, Mal'Ganis will gain 1 charge after 6 seconds.
  • Vampiric Aura [Trait]
    • Mal'Ganis and nearby allied Heroes heal for 10% of Physical Damage dealt.
  • Time to Feed [Passive]
    • Mal'Ganis heals for 48 when damaging a nearby enemy Hero. This can occur once every 6 seconds against each enemy Hero.

Level 4

• Fueled by Torment [W]
    • While Necrotic Embrace is active, Mal'Ganis heals for 12 when damage is taken and Vampiric Touch converts 15% more Hero damage into healing.
  • Might of Sargeras [W]
    • Necrotic Embrace's Armor is increased to 50, but the duration is reduced to 2 seconds.
  • Echo of Doom [W]
    • When Necrotic Embrace expires, it explodes again for 50 damage. If an enemy Hero is hit, Mal'Ganis retains 25 Armor for 1 more second. Does not wake Sleeping targets.

Level 7

• Black Claws [Q]
    • After Mal'Ganis hits an enemy Hero with Fel Claws, his next Basic Attack deals 45% more damage.
  • Will of Tichondrius [Q]
    • The third slash of Fel Claws steals 4% of maximum Health from enemy Heroes.
  • Spreading Plague [E]
    • After Night Rush expires, deal 30 damage per second to nearby enemies for 4 seconds. Basic Attacks against Heroes refresh this. Does not wake Sleeping targets.
  • Nightmare Fuel [Passive]
    • Basic Attacks deal 30% more damage while in a bush and for 4 seconds after leaving. They also deal 125% more damage to Sleeping targets. 

Level 10

• Carrion Swarm [R1] (Mana: 70, Cooldown: 80 seconds)
    • After 1 second, disperse into an Invulnerable swarm of bats for 3 seconds, dealing 132 damage per second to enemies. Vampiric Touch heals for 100% of Carrion Swarm's damage to Heroes.
  • Dark Conversion [R2] (Mana: 70, Cooldown: 80 seconds)
    • Channel on an enemy Hero for 0.75 seconds, then swap Health percentages with the target over 3 seconds.

Level 13

• Deep Sleep [E]
    • Increase Night Rush's Sleep duration by 0.75 seconds and its Movement Speed bonus by 10%.
  • The Night Beckons [E]
    • After Night Rush's Sleep ends, targets are Slowed by 30% for 2.5 seconds.
  • Blood Rush [Trait]
    • When Mal'Ganis is healed, he gains 1% Movement Speed for 8 seconds, up to 15%.

Level 16

• Plague Bats [W]
    • Necrotic Embrace unleashes a wave of bats in front of Mal'Ganis, dealing 85 damage.
  • Frenzied Assault [Passive]
    • Basic Attacks against Heroes with a higher Health percentage grant 40% Attack Speed and 10% increased Physical Damage for 3 seconds.
  • Blind as a Bat [Active] (Cooldown: 80 seconds)
    • Activate to erupt with blind rage, removing the cooldown and Mana cost of Fel Claws, but losing all vision. Lasts 6 seconds.

Level 20

• Seeker Swarm [R1]
    • Upon expiring, Carrion Swarm's bats seek nearby enemy Heroes, dealing 132 damage and Sleeping them for 2.5 seconds.
  • Wrath of Nathreza [R2]
    • Enemy Heroes near the target suffer 75% of the transferred Health as damage over 3 seconds. Does not benefit from Vampiric Touch.
  • Vanquish the Weak [Q]
    • Damage from Fel Claws and Basic Attacks Slows enemies by 15% for 1.5 seconds, and Vampiric Touch converts 10% more damage into healing versus Slowed Heroes.
  • Alone in the Dark [E]
    • Enemy Heroes put to Sleep by Night Rush have their vision greatly reduced during the Sleep and for 2 seconds after.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Warper said:

Using his 3 basics costs 250 in one rotation. (3 uses of q)

That’s a lot

Nah. On PTR it seems only the initial first hit costs mana. He doesn't seem to be that mana hungry.

19 minutes ago, Danilum said:

Nah. On PTR it seems only the initial first hit costs mana. He doesn't seem to be that mana hungry.

Can he use auto attacks between uses of Q and still get the stun?

Edited by Warper

So, I tested him on the PTR and his Basic Attack build is absolutely bonkers: tons of sustain and damage. He is pretty much Yrel on steroids and will probably get nerfed before hitting the Live Servers.

People say he can be a main tank, but I think his true power will lie in the Bruiser department; and he can be a formidable solo laner because of that nasty sustain.

Here is how I plan to run him:

• Level 1 - Time to Feed [Passive]: Mal'Ganis heals for 48 when damaging a nearby enemy Hero. This can occur once every 6 seconds against each enemy Hero.
    • Extra bits of healing that makes him formidable in the solo lane. In team fights he can burst heal himself by A LOT if you hit a group with Fel Claws.
  • Level 4 - Fueled by Torment [W]: While Necrotic Embrace is active, Mal'Ganis heals for 12 when damage is taken and Vampiric Touch converts 15% more Hero damage into healing.
    • What is amazing about this talent is that the healing proc on damage-over-time. So if you got something like a Lunara poking you, it is possible to outheal or at least sustain her damage because you'll get healed on each tick of poison.
  • Level 7 - Black Claws [Q]: After Mal'Ganis hits an enemy Hero with Fel Claws, his next Basic Attack deals 45% more damage.
    • Fel Claws have a fair window between consecutive strikes, so you can pretty much alternate each hit with Basic Attacks: Black Claw 1 > Basic Attack > Black Claw 2 > Basic Attack > Black Claw 3. With that he can probably outsustain any Hero in the game in the solo lane.
  • Level 10 - Dark Conversion [R2] (Mana: 70, Cooldown: 80 seconds): Channel on an enemy Hero for 0.75 seconds, then swap Health percentages with the target over 3 seconds.
    • This Heroic is ridiculously busted. The possibilities are endless. I can see Medivh and Zarya becoming must picks because of this ability alone.
  • Level 13 - Blood Rush [Trait]: When Mal'Ganis is healed, he gains 1% Movement Speed for 8 seconds, up to 15%.
    • Pretty self-explanatory. With Mal'Ganis absurd self-sustain it should be easy to maintain 100% uptime on this talent; and having a healer with heal-over-time (like Malfurion) will also help.
  • Level 16 - Frenzied Assault [Passive]: Basic Attacks against Heroes with a higher Health percentage grant 40% Attack Speed and 10% increased Physical Damage for 3 seconds.
    • This talent combos excellently with Black Claws, and has a nice synergy with Heroes like Abathur (Adrenal OverloadAdrenal Overload) and Lt. Morales (Stim DroneStim Drone).
  • Level 20 - Wrath of Nathreza [R2]: Enemy Heroes near the target suffer 75% of the transferred Health as damage over 3 seconds. Does not benefit from Vampiric Touch.
    • BROKEN. AS. FUCK.
Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Warper said:

Can he use auto attacks between uses of Q and still get the stun?

Yes. He has a brief window - imagine something like Tassadar's free W-Cast, where he can use his second and third Q.
 There is also a talent for weaving in auto attacks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valhalen said:

Level 10 - Dark Conversion [R2] (Mana: 70, Cooldown: 80 seconds): Channel on an enemy Hero for 0.75 seconds, then swap Health percentages with the target over 3 seconds.

• This Heroic is ridiculously busted. The possibilities are endless. I can see Medivh and Zarya becoming must picks because of this ability alone.

How does this behave exactly? I mean, does "Protected" status or shield prevent losing health? Does Mal still gain health if it's prevented? 

1 hour ago, VinsX said:

How does this behave exactly? I mean, does "Protected" status or shield prevent losing health? Does Mal still gain health if it's prevented? 

I'm not sure about it yet. Haven't played a match against a Medivh in the PTR. Will require further testing.

6 hours ago, Myke said:

Alexstrasza has the same thing, only reversed.

Actually she doesn't swap percentages, she just equals the health with the highest percentage.

Edited by Valhalen
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, VinsX said:

I don't think it prevents the health loss, since protected/shield does just that and Mal'Ganis is a a swap.

20 hours ago, Valhalen said:

So, I tested him on the PTR and his Basic Attack build is absolutely bonkers: tons of sustain and damage. He is pretty much Yrel on steroids

I love that describtion! 😄

17 hours ago, pupperito said:

swap Health percentages, WTF?

It's like the Terrorblade ult from DotA, only that it requires a certain amount of time instead of instantly swapping which gives you a short time window to interrupt/ weaken it. Otherwise I think it would be completely broken, especially in combination with other ults like Mephisto's Consume SoulsConsume Souls

11 hours ago, shanghaied said:

As an Ana main, I'm instantly excited for this. 

Hes going to combo so damn hard with her.

And he is going to be countered by her as well. I can assume that Dark Conversion can be negated with Biotic GrenadeBiotic Grenade.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shanghaied said:

As an Ana main, I'm instantly excited for this. 

Hes going to combo so damn hard with her.

What do you mean by this? The sleep talents in particular?

2 hours ago, CorneliusBrutus said:

Yes. And Nano InfusionNano Infusion, to make him truly imortal.

5 hours ago, CorneliusBrutus said:

For example this:

Nightmare Fuel [Passive]

• Basic Attacks deal 30% more damage while in a bush and for 4 seconds after leaving. They also deal 125% more damage to Sleeping targets. 

after you complete dart quest, that's potentially 2 basic attacks that will hit for over double damage if you hit 2 people.  In situations where you're using dart to cc someone diving on you that's going to be a very attractive target for malganis, and it could turn the tables, especially if Ana took the talent that blinds after dart ends.

Edited by shanghaied

That Mech model looks terrific. I could also imagine him in a bit of a Zerg fashion, some legendary skin.

From what I vaguely heard in one of the videos (NotParadox gameplay I think), I was a little disappointed to hear that the voice is not the same as in Warcraft 3. While I do realize that it is no biggie and a great number of voice actors have changed for characters from W3, it still struck me with grief.

The kit looks really nice. Full of functionality due to sleep, which I think still has been underexplored in HOTS. True that there is a lot of residual AOE, waking everybody up, but we will get used to it. Already 3 characters with Sleep skills, looking out for more.

I still think you are overestimating swap % HP. 
First off, forget about memes by taking insane amount of damage and then hiding in bush. If people can avoid ganks by looking at map, don't think this takes too much thought to avoid this too.
So that only leaves mid fight, which can be stopped (although I haven't observed it too well yet, to see how flashy it is to miss it) or you could even be killed before or even after, because it takes time to regain HP... And then that target of choice actually needs to have decent amount of HP during fight, which I can only see Johanna being in that spot as she is *mostly* ignored.

Either Heroic doesn't work well with main tank as it's rather risky or removes you from battlefield which means you can't block hits, bodyblock and similar.

And forget about Wrath of Nethraza, Alone in the Dark is simply game winning ability.
Vision removed for duration of Sleep AND 2 FREAKIN' SECONDS LATER? Sleeping Support alone is great, let alone more.

Edited by SleepySheepy
Addtion

On 10/10/2018 at 5:53 AM, Valhalen said:

And he is going to be countered by her as well. I can assume that Dark Conversion can be negated with Biotic GrenadeBiotic Grenade.

Not sure, but her sleeping darts are brutal

13 hours ago, shanghaied said:

For example this:

Nightmare Fuel [Passive]

• Basic Attacks deal 30% more damage while in a bush and for 4 seconds after leaving. They also deal 125% more damage to Sleeping targets. 

after you complete dart quest, that's potentially 2 basic attacks that will hit for over double damage if you hit 2 people.  In situations where you're using dart to cc someone diving on you that's going to be a very attractive target for malganis, and it could turn the tables, especially if Ana took the talent that blinds after dart ends.

Sure, I think it's worth trying. There's a couple other great choices in that tier that I think even with Ana present that's not going to be the clear-cut best choice. But given he's a guy who will thrive with increased spell power and decreased cooldowns, Nano will indeed be very strong on Mal'Ganis.

Edited by CorneliusBrutus