FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

WoW Classic Vs. Original Vanilla Video Comparison

39874-wow-classic-at-home-blizzcon-demo-

Dodgykebaab managed to dig into the Classic game files that are available for pre-load ahead of the November 2nd demo that Virtual Ticket holders and BlizzCon attendees will get to try out. Since he usually digs into alpha, beta and demo versions of games to discover undocumented stuff, he decided to take a look at what the actual graphical differences are between it and the original game (or rather its 2005 version). As you'll see there are some lighting and texture differences, as well as more menu options, but there's also a "Classic" toggle that changes all that back to the original game look (as has become somewhat standard in remasters).

There are no NPCs or quests and the like, so this is purely an aesthetic overview:

The WoW Classic demo arrives in 5 days, opening with BlizzCon on November 2nd and lasting through November 8th. Check out all the info about the demo, including developer notes and our own preview of the initial Patch 1.13 client. You can also check out PC Gamer's piece on why it's so complicated for Blizzard to remake Vanilla.

What about you? Will you be trying out the demo or the actual game when it releases?

its WoW "classic" in name only not actuality and people that played VWoW wont care and people that didnt wont get a real experience of old WoW  

Even though there are no npc's or quests present would there only be a select/restricted amount of content being allowed to play?  And why would you want to play with limited resources for nostalgic purposes?  I'm not trying to be rude or 'insensitive' to those that long for the unique style of VWoW.  I just don't see myself playing and staying in VWoW due to lack of content and limited personal growth as a player.  If I really wanted to stay in a 'small pond' setting I would stick with old console gaming and select games on the Gameboy Color or PS1.

Uncommon Patron
47 minutes ago, Ragingwolf said:

Even though there are no npc's or quests present would there only be a select/restricted amount of content being allowed to play?  And why would you want to play with limited resources for nostalgic purposes?  I'm not trying to be rude or 'insensitive' to those that long for the unique style of VWoW.  I just don't see myself playing and staying in VWoW due to lack of content and limited personal growth as a player.  If I really wanted to stay in a 'small pond' setting I would stick with old console gaming and select games on the Gameboy Color or PS1.

What this video is showing is not even the demo as it will be playable to those at blizzcon or who bought the virtual ticket. This is just a guy that put together an unofficial demonstration based on what he could put together using the pre-download files available to him. With that being said, the playable demo having a limited scope of where you can go and what you can do is because it is a demo and not the full release.

Honestly? I really don't get the desire to go backwards. I played it in 2005, it was a massive leap forward for MMOs, but it's a very dated game. I'm happy the fans of it get to play, they wanted it, they got it, but really? Not for me and I doubt it will sustain anything more than a small hardcore population.

• Like 3

I've never wanted to go back and play back then. The level grind was miserable. Gearing was miserable. Stats were wildly all over the place. Props to those who wanted it and are now getting to go back and relive the content, but I'd rather have them relaunch WoW content, but keep the class balance and talents and junk. Just a refresh on old content.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tkioz said:

Honestly? I really don't get the desire to go backwards. I played it in 2005, it was a massive leap forward for MMOs, but it's a very dated game. I'm happy the fans of it get to play, they wanted it, they got it, but really? Not for me and I doubt it will sustain anything more than a small hardcore population.

It's the exact same as people who still play Diablo 2 till this day. People have very fond memories and actually enjoy the game for what it was, it's the reason why there's so many vanilla wow private servers.

Uncommon Patron

They really should at least limit the water texture to old setting, only because it gives unfair advantage to those using higher graphics since you can actually see people under water unlike in classic where you could hide from people under water. Other than that, who cares really about shadows and ground clutter, at that point people would just be ruining their own experience, water though can ruin other peoples classic experience.

I think we should get Warcraft 3 remaster with improvements like no selection limit instead of this. I'm pretty sure that ppl will go back (to the future) to current WoW after nostalgia dry off and features of WoW classic will become annoying again. Many ppl played on private server because they don't want to pay not cuz they miss it. And I don't really understand why would anyone want to play on worse graphics 

Edited by Kaelos
  • Like 1

I, for one, am looking forward to classic. I never got to play Vanilla, although I joined with TBC, so I still got stuck in Arathi at 35 with no quests, and spent entire nights in BRD, DM and Sunken Temple.

I did dabble into some private servers but never committed because of the possibility of servers being shutdown and stuff, and I'd rather play an official release.

21 minutes ago, Kaelos said:

And many ppl played on private server because they don't want to pay not cuz they miss it. 

People didn't pick Nostalrius just because it was free. Not to advertise them or anything, but there were private servers for more current versions.

Also, what people don't seem to understand is that 1.13 is just a starting point for potential future developement. I doubt that we will see any actual content, but there is no reason for them not to patch and balance things and add features if the playerbase so desires.

• Like 2

I think that there is a big misunderstanding among people who criticise the WoW Classic idea that the whole concept is about some fans wanting to play an unbalanced, dated game with a ridiculous grind.

No. It is about some fans yearning for WoW that promotes social gameplay, offers overally more rewarding experience and has that vibe of being thrown into a really dangerous world. You may like the retail WoW or not - it is up to you. But it is a game with completely different core values than it was back in a day. And I am pretty sure that if current retail version followed these old values a bit more, the idea of Classic wouldn't make it that far. Instead of that, over the years some portion of playerbase has increasingly felt like the toys were being taken from them. In this way, Vanila is just a symbol of the game they miss. And I think it is a valid call.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DasBigHippo said:

I honestly don't get people's hype over this. Vanilla WoW was so bad. It was boring and horribly balanced.

Exactly. The game was dead on arrival, terrible reviews and no one played it. It’s no wonder that out of all Blizzards IP’s World of Warcraft is the one that’s been forgotten forever. I can’t imagine what these vanilla fans are thinking.

• Haha 1

People in this thread are correctly remembering Vanilla WoW as pretty bad, quality of life-wise.  But I don't think classic WoW is for you.  (I know not every Icy Veins reader is a WoW player, but I think it's a fair assumption that most people commenting in these threads are.)

I'm pretty sure the development of Classic WoW is for players on private servers (of which there are many).  Not only can they offer them a "classic" ("vanilla-like") experience, but they can charge them for it.  Most importantly, it gives them solid legal grounds to shut down the private servers that are out there.

23 hours ago, Foreth said:

promotes social gameplay

WTB less social gameplay than retail.  I hate pugging and I hate the LFG tool application process.  I understand why it's like that, but it's still annoying.  I'm lucky to have a good guild but it would be nice to do lower level M+ with an automatic LFG, like with a ilvl requirement (360 for +1, 365 for +2, or whatever). 

I remember not doing most of my tier 0.5 set in vanilla because of how much that process depended on grouping.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, tkioz said:

If it sustains a small hardcore population then sign me up. That sounds awesome.