FORUMS
Starym

All Blizzard Franchises Will Have Mobile Titles

1 minute ago, jinsu2301 said:

Also, I don't know where this idea comes from that because you bought the base game they should shovel out content till the end of time. Back in the good old days (you know, before Activision poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and delivered a plague unto our houses) you bought a game, and maybe an expansion, and that was it. And now that's somehow a bad thing?

You are missing the point. It's not about that we don't have any new content for our current game. It's Blizzard's ATTITUDE towards it. They think that we can take whatever cheap crap they throw to us and be happy no matter what simply because it has "Diablo" in it. And they didn't even tried to say something like "Yeah we are making Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster but we are not yet ready to show it to ya". No - Diablo Immortal (the game that was outsourced straight to chinese mobile developers) was made up as a "big thing 2018" for this Blizzcon.
So NOW do you understand why everyone is so pissed?

Exactly. Its a really narrow view on the relationship between the developer and the gamer. Without the gamers, the developer doesn't have a game to sell. When people buy a product or a game you become part of the product and its longevity. Sometimes, companies can grow to a level where they make their production with less quality yet still want a surplus. Or no longer listen to gamer feedback or listen too much feedback. Gamers, most gamers are always looking for the best quality game and don't mind playing money if the game give a value worth that cash. The industry is flood and will continue to be this way. Most think this is great; however, I would suggest that the quality and value has a dimensioning return. Yes, there are more games but they can't all be good. And they still cost a significant amount. I feel most companies have spent most their resources on esthetics and preferred look. Game play definitely is improved but no nearly as much as how the game looks. Hopefully we will get there. But I don't see the incentive to do so when you all really make a surplus. 

As with BfA the real problem is communication. Just tell the community that at the moment you gotta work out things with the Diablo franchise because it is not easy to get an MMOARPG running these days (because of player taste). Just be honest and admit that the mobile sector is a gateway for Blizz into many Asian markets and that it has nothing to do with their already existing fans. 

They drive away their core audience because they are dishonest. If they had told everybody that there would be only a small announcement for a Diablo mobile game because they don't want to spoil the beans on their other projects yet, then yes many would have been disappointed but not furious and full of hate.

I don't know who is making the communication and PR calls nowadays, but that guy should be fired.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Thundertree said:

I don't know who is making the communication and PR calls nowadays, but that guy should be fired.

Just like with Command & Conquer: Rivals, it was a mistake to make a major announcement of a game like this for western audience. I completely agree they failed on PR part. Just saying something on that panel about Immortal not being the only game, maybe some hint what another game is going to be, could have minimised damage. But they came out as conceited with those responses about asking if they have phones and so on.

Interestingly enough, many Chinese players already hate Netease (also I had no idea they own actual pig farms): https://old.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/9tzn9i/something_you_should_know_about_netease/

It's more about exploiting a mostly clueless people, who aren't invested into any drama, so Immortal might find it's audience. After all, it's a reskin of existing formula that company has made before.

If they aren't going to have PC version (Hearthstone worked well on both platforms, though not a fan of it), probably I'm not going to play them, as I'm not playing any games on my phone.

11 minutes ago, Arcling said:

Just like with Command & Conquer: Rivals, it was a mistake to make a major announcement of a game like this for western audience. I completely agree they failed on PR part. Just saying something on that panel about Immortal not being the only game, maybe some hint what another game is going to be, could have minimised damage. But they came out as conceited with those responses about asking if they have phones and so on.

Interestingly enough, many Chinese players already hate Netease (also I had no idea they own actual pig farms): https://old.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/9tzn9i/something_you_should_know_about_netease/

It's more about exploiting a mostly clueless people, who aren't invested into any drama, so Immortal might find it's audience. After all, it's a reskin of existing formula that company has made before.

If they aren't going to have PC version (Hearthstone worked well on both platforms, though not a fan of it), probably I'm not going to play them, as I'm not playing any games on my phone.

I once said to my freind about C&C on mobile and wished to show him that E3 presentation. He just outright refused to even watch that. My best memories with C&C series were Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2.

Hearthstone is simple enough as it is to play on any platform, so I was actually happy when it went to mobile devices. Going mobile for even slightly more complex game will always mean dumbing down beyond recognition,

Edited by Jinzuru

4 minutes ago, Arcling said:

After all, it's a reskin of existing formula that company has made before.

That is actually more concerning than anything else. They say they want to invest in mobile gaming but they don't do it. There are only two ways in doing it.

1. You port your games onto the Switch which core concept is the fusion of console and mobile gaming.

2. You start from scratch and design a new game that works great on phones. 

They did the first with the release of D3 on the Switch. But they failed the second with Diablo Immortal. Neither an ARPG nor Diablo as a franchise works really well on a phone. If they were serious about that they could have hired a completely new team to develop a mobile-only game that sets a new milestone in mobile gaming. 

The fact that they seem to only want to cash in as fast as possible could mean something positive for us pc gamers all together: Blizzard does not believe in mobile gaming being more than a short trend in gaming. 

5 minutes ago, Thundertree said:

That is actually more concerning than anything else. They say they want to invest in mobile gaming but they don't do it. There are only two ways in doing it.

1. You port your games onto the Switch which core concept is the fusion of console and mobile gaming.

2. You start from scratch and design a new game that works great on phones. 

They did the first with the release of D3 on the Switch. But they failed the second with Diablo Immortal. Neither an ARPG nor Diablo as a franchise works really well on a phone. If they were serious about that they could have hired a completely new team to develop a mobile-only game that sets a new milestone in mobile gaming. 

The fact that they seem to only want to cash in as fast as possible could mean something positive for us pc gamers all together: Blizzard does not believe in mobile gaming being more than a short trend in gaming. 

But isn't that their general phylosophy and strategy for all their IPs? They definitely believe in short term cash grab above long term quality.

2 minutes ago, Jinzuru said:

But isn't that their general phylosophy and strategy for all their IPs? They definitely believe in short term cash grab above long term quality.

World of Warcraft: Milestone (Monopoly)

Starcraft 2: Milestone (Monopoly)

Overwatch: Milestone (in close competition with TF2)

Heroes of the Storm: Revolution (closing the last gap that MOBA's offered)

Hearthstone: Moneygrab (made with much love)

So no that isn't their general philosophy. The only real money grab they designed is Hearthstone. 

If you want to see ppl that have profit as a game designing philosophy then look at Arenanet or Riot. It doesn't get any more greedy if your endgame content officially is grinding gold to buy new transmogs in their in-game shop. Similar (but not as grave as in GW2) things happening in League of Legends. 

8 minutes ago, Thundertree said:

World of Warcraft: Milestone (Monopoly)

Starcraft 2: Milestone (Monopoly)

Overwatch: Milestone (in close competition with TF2)

Heroes of the Storm: Revolution (closing the last gap that MOBA's offered)

Hearthstone: Moneygrab (made with much love)

So no that isn't their general philosophy. The only real money grab they designed is Hearthstone. 

If you want to see ppl that have profit as a game designing philosophy then look at Arenanet or Riot. It doesn't get any more greedy if your endgame content officially is grinding gold to buy new transmogs in their in-game shop. Similar (but not as grave as in GW2) things happening in League of Legends. 

WoW has cash shop along with increasing amounts of timegating

Don't know what SC has

OW has lootboxes in addition to a game price

HoTS has lootboxes that can be justified because it's F2P and most stuff can be grinded

HS: similar t HoTS imo.

I'd look at EA as the ultimate definition of greed, and imo Actiblizz wants to be on that throne.

1 hour ago, Thundertree said:

As with BfA the real problem is communication. Just tell the community that at the moment you gotta work out things with the Diablo franchise because it is not easy to get an MMOARPG running these days (because of player taste). Just be honest and admit that the mobile sector is a gateway for Blizz into many Asian markets and that it has nothing to do with their already existing fans. 

They drive away their core audience because they are dishonest. If they had told everybody that there would be only a small announcement for a Diablo mobile game because they don't want to spoil the beans on their other projects yet, then yes many would have been disappointed but not furious and full of hate.

I can't agree with this more. This is exactly the problem with all media these days. Trick the customer, lie to them, make them believe your stuff is the best and better than other stuff.

If Blizzard have come out and simply said, look Diablo isn't making any money because it doesnt have the mechanics for it like loot boxes and the Necromancer didnt pay for itself, so we have to reevaluate how to make a Diablo game viable in the long term. So for now we're partnering with netease and letting them do most of the work, we'll be overseeing, just so we can sustain the franchise and have more time to work on Diablo 4.
I mean im pretty sure that's what's happening so WHY not say so? Oh, that's right, it's because you dont respect your audience and think they'll get upset if you explain to them the real issues of massive scale game development. Cos they're dumb. Look how well lying has turned out.

as i said to myself a couple years ago. hearthstone was the worst thing ever to happen to hardcore blizzard fans. hearthstone introduced no skill rng grind. which has bleed into wow recently. now it shows them how much money they can make making mobile games. blizzard gonna make more and more money, pc gamers will just get more and more pissed off. i hate hearthstone and how much money it made. worst thing to happen in history of gaming. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lichiana said:

It isn't mobile that people are upset over. It is mobile ONLY. They can make WoW into an app if they want but you better serve your core audience, PC Gamers, if you want to stay in business.

I think this post hit the nail on the head. At this point there's been example of what to do and what not to do when announcing a spinoff title that somebody in the blizzard marketing department that planned this out should be fired for being so ignorant of trends in these sorts of announcements. A great example of how to do it is with Fallout Shelter which was announced at the same time as a new core series fallout game in the form of "we're working on fallout 4 take a look at what we got so far but until it's ready here's a mobile spinoff game" and people loved it. Then if we look at what not to do prior to this there's Metroid Prime Federation Force which was reviled when it was announced because it was spinoff game for a franchise that hadn't seen a new game in ages without a proper sequel in sight. In this case it was so severe and persistent that Nintendo had to announce Metroid Prime 4 at the next E3 when all they had to show of it was a logo just to appease fans. Even more recently there was the C&C farce EA put on for E3 that was absolutely hated for largely the same reasons. At this point there's enough examples out there that the entire marketing department would have to have been living in caves for the past 3 years to not see this coming.

If Diablo 3 had just recently come out or they had announced either a new expansion, a remake of D2 LOD, or Diablo 4 in addition to this mobile title people would've actually reacted positively towards it in the form of "not only do we get a big new game to look forward to but we also get this game to tide us over until the big one comes out that's awesome".   

Uncommon Patron

After how many companies tried to copy blizzard's WoW you would think they would know how foolish and idiot a company looks when just trying to play to current trends of the market, They are never going to get that mobile game market, especially with just reskinning bad mobile games with one of their already existing beloved IPs that are from PC, mobile gamers aren't looking for that.

I don't own a mobile Phone nor tablet. But all the kids of my friends and my brother (he's a rabbit) have been playing games and watching cartoons on their tablets since the age of 4. Mobile gaming is the future. Those mobile gamers will make one day the transition to consoles and or pc. Blizzard isn't going to give up on PC gaming, they are tapping into extra sources of money, which only will enhance their position in the industry.

When I attend Blizzcon as current player of Diablo, I wouldn't have been pleased by the announcement and not hearing anything about the game I love and play. Blizzard should have given the Diablo 3 players something. I could understand the first reactions on the internet, but it has turned out as a full blown witchhunt. 

I think people are overreacting with Diablo Immortal, as usual with any Blizzard game. They stated months ago warning people to not get their hopes too high for BlizzCon regarding Diablo, which in other words meant "We won't be showing Diablo IV in 2018's BlizzCon". And they also said there are "multiple Diablo projects in the works", so it's not like Diablo Immortal will replace Diablo IV.

Also, Blizzard said they avoid showing things in BlizzCon until they are polished enough to be presented at the public. So if they are indeed working on Diablo IV, we won't be seeing it so soon.

I mean, is it so bad that we're getting a new Diablo game but on mobile phones? If anything, this is a spinoff that, like Wyatt Chang said, complements the lore between Diablo II and Diablo III, which is awesome. I know we were all expecting huge stuff like Diablo IV or even a Diablo I remaster, but c'mon, better having this new game than nothing.

And if you think about it, Blizzard is trying to bring MORE people to Diablo, by making the game more accessible and make it relevant again (the Switch port of Diablo III is proof of it).

Lastly, I feel bad for Wyatt Chang. He was very nervous. And also Blizzard should have learned the lesson to never let red-shirt guys ask questions.

Edited by Valhalen

9 hours ago, Jinzuru said:

1st deliver to core audience, then do mobile as a bonus/side project. Modern mobile audience is too elusive to catch, so diving in there deeper will only cause more controversy.

are all ya'll oblivious to the fact that they said they have other projects? 

It doesn't matter what is said right. 

Honestly, this is embarrassing of the gaming community and shows how stupid the majority are (probably humanity in general). 

Edited by greatCraft

39 minutes ago, Valhalen said:

I think people are overreacting with Diablo Immortal, as usual with any Blizzard game. They stated months ago warning people to not get their hopes too high for BlizzCon regarding Diablo, which in other words meant "We won't be showing Diablo IV in 2018's BlizzCon". And they also said there are "multiple Diablo projects in the works", so it's not like Diablo Immortal will replace Diablo IV.

It's more of a Netease game than Blizzard game, and it being a reskin is a part of the whole controversy. They didn't say anything at Blizzcon, blue post is something most people are going to miss (and it was rather vague, without specific type of game mentioned, so people kept speculating) and those who read it lowered their expectaions, but hoped at least for something new for D3 or D2 remastered. Sure, many people are jumping on bandwagon with those reactions, but showing something like this to PC-centric crowd and a very different market from Chinese one had to end this way. Then, there is also the fact they unlisted original trailers and uploaded copies, removed negative comments and dislikes.

It's bad their PR department didn't predict that or at least advised a different attitude, now they will just wait. In a few months this will die down and become mostly forgotten, like other controversies, though some damage to their image might last.

Edited by Arcling

Do I really have to spell it out for some of you idiots?

This will allow you to connect with 'casuals' at work, etc so they are more likely to play with you on their computers when Diablo 4 eventually comes you. It's simple, easy to access, and fun. 

This was never meant to be your desktop replacement. 

9 letters in a black screen would have made the fans happy:

D IV Soon TM

One reasonably skilled artist could have made it in photoshop during the Q&A time to show after that and the better part is: They don't even need to have anything. They could have only announced it and then start hiring for the development in the monday after.

• Like 1

so many idiots. 

This will allow you to connect with 'casuals' at work, etc so they are more likely to play with you on their computers when Diablo 4 eventually comes you. It's simple, easy to access, and fun. It will serve as a means to build relationships and make new friends and family members.

This was never meant to be your desktop replacement. 

46 minutes ago, greatCraft said:

are all ya'll oblivious to the fact that they said they have other projects? 

It doesn't matter what is said right. 

Honestly, this is embarrassing of the gaming community and shows how stupid the majority are (probably humanity in general). 

Unfortunately that only shows the level of trust players have, no blind trust in just words. A freaking PowerPoint 1 page with just the logo of any of those said projects would chill everyone, but no, just the mobile reskin, say hello to your chinese overlords.

People always have projects, I'm working on several right now. But I won't show you even a hint, because they're not ready. It can take me a month, a year, or 20 years to finish them, and when they're ready they'll be the next biggest thing ever. 

8 hours ago, jinsu2301 said:

The necromancer came out last year, didn't it? And it has barely been half a decade since Reaper of Souls.

Also, I don't know where this idea comes from that because you bought the base game they should shovel out content till the end of time. Back in the good old days (you know, before Activision poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and delivered a plague unto our houses) you bought a game, and maybe an expansion, and that was it. And now that's somehow a bad thing?

Well, the thing is WE did not come up with the whole concept of seasons. Blizzard did. And it's a brilliant concept -- starting fresh every 3 months or so with nothing. But, with that concept how are you going to keep die-hard seasons players engaged and willing to return over and over again without at least some tweaks and changes?

8 hours ago, Damien said:

Deadset is flying back from the US today and he's got a lot to say on Diablo Immortal. He had a lengthy interview with the devs and spent a whole evening with them. I'm really interested to see what he has to say.

When will we see that ? I'm pretty dissapointed on how Blizzard management the annoucement and how some ppl in the communtiy reacted and I'm eager to know more. The presentation on stage was very strange, developpers speaking to an audience vastly not interested in mobile games.

Shout out to the good guy in the day 2 Q&A being nice to the devs whyle some ppl were very agressive on day 1. You can dislike a product but please do no arm :(