Stan

Activision Blizzard Q3 2018 Earnings Call

Sign in to follow this  

10 posts in this topic

32618-activision-blizzard-investor-call-

Quarterly results of the Activison Blizzard Investor Call are here and Blizzard has 37 million monthly active users across all games, same as in Q2 2018.

Major Releases

• Activision launched Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  • Blizzard released World of Warcraft: Battle of Azeroth
  • King launched Candy Crush Friends Saga

Franchise Expansion onto Mobile

• Many top mobile games are based on IP originally created for console or PC
  • Hearthstone fanbase grew significantly upon its mobile launch
  • Investing in mobile releases for Activision and Blizzard franchises
  • Many more initiatives underway across the entire company

Audience Reach (345 MAUs -- Activision = 46M, Blizzard = 37M, King = 262M monthly active users)

• Candy Crush Saga MAUs grew Y/Y
  • In October, King launched Candy Crush Friends Saga, building on five years of learing in Candy Crush
    • The game has reached the top of iPhone download charts in 93 countries
    • While still early, retention and monetization metrics are strong, and the game is on pace to drive meaningful growth for the franchise
  • World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth set a new day-one franchise record with more than 3.4 million units sold-through
  • World of Warcraft engagement grew strongly Q/Q, and the expansion saw strong participation in value-added services
  • Heartshtone continues to attract new players, surpassing 100 million life-to-date registered players
  • Destiny MAUs grew Q/Q and Y/Y, driven by the launch of Forsaken and reach initiatives for the base game
  • Activision MAUs increased significantly in October following the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  • Black Ops 4 versus Black Ops III (the highest-grossing game in the franchise) in the first three weeks after launch:
    • Units sold-through were higher; PC units sold-through were over 3x higher
    • Total active users were 16% higher
    • Hours playerd were 20%+ higher

Deep Engagement & Player Investment

• Continue to add new ways for fans to show their passion for or great franchises, including esport, linear content and social connections.
  • Continue to innovate in how additional content is offered, to drive strong engagement and commercial performance.

Activision Blizzard

• Players spent a record 52 minutes per day in Activision, Blizzard, and King games in the quarter.
  • Viewership of our games was up significantly this quarter.

Call of Duty

• In the month of October, Activision Blizzard had seven of the top 20 most viewed games on the industry's largest streaming platform, including Black Ops 4 where vierwership cotinues to break franchise records.

Overwatch League

• The Overwatch League continues to build on the success of its inaugural season with the announcement of the sale of another six teams in September, again at substantioally higher valuations than team prices in the first sesason
  • The latest sales take the league to 20 total teams, with nine of these teams outside the U.S.

BlizzCon & World of Warcraft & Diablo

• In November, BlizzCon drew over 40,000 fans in person with millions more livestreaming from around the world
  • Announcements included new content for every franchinse and Diablo Immortal for mobile

Q3 2018 Segment Results // Blizzard

• Q3 Segment Net Revenues: $635M
  • Q3 Segment Operating Income: $189M (30% operating margin)

Key Highlights

• Revenues grew 20% Y/Y, driven by World of Warcraft and the Battle for Azeroth expansion, which offset lower revenues for Overwatch & Hearthstone, with the latter facing a tough comp
  • Operative income grew 13% Y/Y as revenue growth offset investments in strategic initiatives, including the Overwatch League, other esports activities, Battle.net, and franchise incubation across multiple platforms

Check out the full presentation here.

10 minutes ago, Maxkitty said:

Earnings are gonna drop hard in the next quarter. RIP Diablo 😞

How so?  Is there any current pay-to-play for Diablo?  Any new pay for content that they'll be missing out on?

4 minutes ago, Gilby79 said:

How so?  Is there any current pay-to-play for Diablo?  Any new pay for content that they'll be missing out on?

The Activision Blizzard stocks are plummeting because of Diablo Immortal. The main problem I see is that Blizzard kind of lost their reputation among the community. It's really unfortunate, but I can't help but think that this is going to have a long term effect on Blizzard.

5 hours ago, Kaelos said:

Candy Crush and Diablo mobile yess this is future of gaming

Would love to hear your version of gaming future, so the people who just dumped their ATVI stocks can find a better place for their money.

31 minutes ago, Maxkitty said:

The Activision Blizzard stocks are plummeting because of Diablo Immortal. The main problem I see is that Blizzard kind of lost their reputation among the community. It's really unfortunate, but I can't help but think that this is going to have a long term effect on Blizzard.

Major investors probably knew about the nature of the mobile title and the co-operation with NetEase well ahead of Blizzcon through shareholder calls, so it's probably the latter. Let's not forget, that the Acitivision part of the company isn't doing so well either, it would be an overreaction to blame it all on Diablo Immortal. Still I wouldn't be too worried - Mr. Kotick may be unpopular, but he has a few tricks up his sleeves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxkitty said:

Please! In the report, Q3,  you can see that Blizzard-Activision will give the investor 52 cents per share and that the company generated $1.66B in revenue. For Q4 2018, the company is expecting earnings of 43 cents per share and $2.2B in revenu. Investors are being wary about the cautious expectation for Q4 2018. That alone explains the drop in share price.

Don't believe anyone on Wallstreet is playing Diablo 😉 I wish gamers could be the majority stock owner of gaming companies, then we can stop complain that too many boards of directors are thinking with their wallets.

2 hours ago, Keller said:

Please! In the report, Q3,  you can see that Blizzard-Activision will give the investor 52 cents per share and that the company generated $1.66B in revenue. For Q4 2018, the company is expecting earnings of 43 cents per share and $2.2B in revenu. Investors are being wary about the cautious expectation for Q4 2018. That alone explains the drop in share price.

Don't believe anyone on Wallstreet is playing Diablo 😉 I wish gamers could be the majority stock owner of gaming companies, then we can stop complain that too many boards of directors are thinking with their wallets.

I don't play Diablo, I'm just saying I was kind of worried how it will affect Blizzard as a whole. I play WoW by far the most out of all of Blizzard's games and I still very much love Blizzard, even if they are a fraction of what they used to be to the community. That's why I'm worried, because expectations don't always reflect accurately to reality. I'm sure Blizzard is going to stay a strong company, but what about their reputation with the community after all the controversy? 

I'm not trying to be toxic/negative. I'm just trying to understand what's really going on, and how Blizzard's image of their future might impact them (whether it be positively or negatively). Especially regarding the transition to mobile that Blizzard wants to do. So many people are against it and Blizzard is all for it. It keeps me asking myself, what consequence will Blizzard face by taking this path? And most importantly, I'm beginning to question if they are really willing to let the hardcore fans down, in trade for money, and a broader, newer, and less passionate audience. It just seems like a reckless idea that will have a negative effect in the long run. 

Blizzard has one of the most passionate fanbases out there for a gaming company. I would die a little inside if that passion left Blizzard. And while some things I said may be debatable, I said them because I'm worried. I'm worried for the future of Blizzard.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Executive Producer Allen Adham and Principal Game Designer Wyatt Cheng confirmed at BlizzCon's Diablo Immortal press conference that many of Blizzard's best developers are currently working on new mobile titles across all IPs.
      Highlights
      No autoplay is planned for the game right now. Diablo Immortal does not have the Witch Doctor. The six classes have been chosen to represent a variety of playstyles. The game will have content updates over time and the plan is to release additional classes in the future. In terms of Blizzard's approach to mobile gaming, they have many of their best developers now working on new mobile titles across all IPs. Some of them are with external partners like Diablo Immortal, many of them are being developed internally only and they'll have information to share in the future. They have more new products in development today than they've ever had in their history and the future is "very bright". Diablo Immortal is being designed so that everybody can play it from all ages. The game won't be mature-rated. The level of fidelity on mobile is becoming very close to the kinds of games we can see on PC and console. There are some key differences in play sessions and play patterns. The reason why they're bringing Diablo to mobile is to introduce the game to a much broader audience. Netease has been Blizzard's partner in China for almost 10 years. Skepticism demonstrates intellectual curiosity and what people saw at BlizzCon did not really meet their expectations. Allen Adham repeated that the company is currently working on multiple unannounced Diablo projects for die-hard PC fans.
    • By Zadina
      BlizzPlanet interviewed Robert Bridenbecker, Vice President of Technology, Strategy and Planning, on Warcraft 3: Reforged. The interview focuses on the engine overhaul and assets, Battle.net Launcher transition, as well as the World Editor and mapmaking’s capabilities side.
      With the remaster of Warcraft 3 announced, it's natural that all kinds of question about how the 2002 iconic game would be re-animated (literally) with modern graphics. Robert Bridenbecker explained all the technical details and challenges the team has faced.
      Here is a recap of the most interesting points of the interview:
      The same team that worked on StarCraft Remastered worked on this. There are no plans for new story content or DLCs yet, they are focused on the pre-existing game. Animation variety of units and generic portraits from the original WC3 will be updated to be unique. They used the original WC3 engine that has been evolved on the graphics side, with modern trimmings like wide screen support, Battle.net support and lag/networking issues addressed. A brand new engine would break existing functionalities. The map editor is there and there's compatibility with the original version of the game. They want to have all custom maps working for Reforged. Moddable UI: they are talking about it, an area to explore – not a day 1 feature probably. You will be able to switch from old to new graphics, but it won't be instant like in SC Remastered. It's feasible to make SD and HD assets work together. No decisions yet on changes on unit pathfinding and AI improvements. They are in dialogue with the community on this and they are open to exploring it. They have also reached out to players for other potential changes to the original experience (gameplay, balance). They want to be careful with this as they want to be as close to the original as possible. They've made a lot of bug fixes. There are no plans for classic games on other platforms, but it's always something on their mind. Warcraft 3: Reforged will contain the original version of the game.
    • By Starym
      The very controversial announcement of Diablo Immortal is still what everyone's talking about after BlizzCon has concluded, with fans of the franchise getting pretty upset. From a bunch of "Do you guys not have phones?" memes, to the off-season April fools Q&A guy, and accusations of the game simply being a reskin of another mobile hack 'n slash made by Netease, Blizzard's partner in development, it seems the decision to make Immortal the big finish for BlizzCon's opening ceremony wasn't that great. And all of that is not even going into some pretty poor PR moves after the fact, such as re-posting the cinematic and making it unlisted due to the huge number of dislikes the public one has and using the unlisted one on the official site.
      It's safe to say Immortal was "a bit" of a misstep, at the very least in the way it was announced, but Blizzard don't seem to be backing down from their newfound mobile-friendly attitude, as co-founder Allen Adham mentioned in an interview with Digital Trends, where he had this to say when asked how long Immortal has been on Blizzard's minds:
      In the same interview he also went on to reassure Diablo fans that there are indeed multiple projects being worked on in the franchise, but was also very careful to dance around the specific issue of Diablo 4 proper.
      The full interview also features Production Director for Diablo Immortal and Incubation Dan Elggren and has more details on the game itself, as well as what fears and expectations Blizzard had for this move and fan reactions after the announcement, so it's absolutely worth a read.

So, what do you guys think about the possibility of all Blizzard franchises getting their own mobile games/spinoffs? Were you upset by Diablo Immortal or all the side-shenanigans surrounding it?
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about Episode 28 of our Podcast.
    • By Starym
      It's finally time to go back to the roots of the Warcraft franchise, with the last strategy installment making a comeback! We're getting Warcraft 3 Reforged! It's coming next year, and there's a playable demo of the Culling of Stratholme at BlizzCon. You can already pre-purchase it as well!

Reforged (source)
      Reforged Visuals Azeroth, Born Anew
          Integrating cutting-edge modeling and rendering, we’ve rebuilt every hero, unit, building, and environment in Warcraft III from the ground up. You’ve never seen Azeroth like this.              Legendary Campaigns The Origin Stories of Warcraft
          Campaign Teaser Relive the events of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne. Command mysterious night elves, insidious undead, savage orcs, and noble humans as alliances shift and cultures clash in ruthless conflict. 62 missions across Kalimdor, Lordaeron, Northrend, and beyond 40+ hours of epic gameplay, with 4+ hours of reforged cutscenes Control over 20 legendary heroes and villains from Warcraft lore: gain experience, level up, master powerful abilities, and enhance nearby units   Reign of Chaos
      Humans, orcs, and night elves must stand together against the Burning Legion and their armies of undead. Witness the tragedy of Arthas Menethil and the redemption of the Horde in this sprawling chapter of Warcraft’s epic history.   Key Heroes Arthas Thrall Kel'Thuzad Tyrande The Frozen Throne
      Aid the Sentinels in their quest to stop Illidan, lead the blood elves to Outland in search of salvation, ascend the Frozen Throne, and help Thrall carve out a new homeland for orcs in Durotar.    Key Heroes Maiev Kael'thas Sylvanas Rexxar   Exhilarating Gameplay The Battlefield Awaits
      Warcraft III’s formula of hero-centric real-time strategy is easy to learn but difficult to master. Gather resources, build a base, and assemble an army. Recruit powerful heroes to lead your forces, then meet your foes in battle. Destroy the enemy base to win the game!   Featured Heroes
      DreadlordUndead BlademasterOrcs Tauren ChieftainOrcs PaladinHumans           Learn more about the races, heroes, and units of Warcraft III in the Classic Game Guide     An Upgraded Experience
      Challenge opponents with modern multiplayer matchmaking, search for custom game lobbies, and connect with friends through the Blizzard Battle.net app. With updated UI and countless quality-of-life improvements, it’s never been easier to get into Warcraft III.    Limitless Custom Games
      Discover millions of player-created games, including tower defense, MOBAs, ARPGs, survival games, and more, or build your own with the upgraded World Editor.   Rebalanced Gameplay
      We’re making hundreds of balance changes to heroes, units, and buildings to bring Warcraft III’s classic gameplay into the modern age.        Spoils of War Edition Battle-Wrought Rewards
        Purchase the Warcraft III: Reforged Spoils of War Edition to unlock rewards in your favorite Blizzard games.        Meat Wagon MountWorld of WarcraftComing Soon!       The Third War Card BackHearthstone(Available week of 11/5)       4 Warcraft HeroesHeroes of the StormComing Soon!     ...and much more!(Details coming soon Heed theCall to Arms
      Coming 2019       Visuals rebuilt from the ground up 62 single-player missions across Azeroth and beyond Over 4 hours of reforged cutscenes Approachable hero-centric gameplay Four powerful races from Warcraft lore Limitless custom games to explore Updated UI and rebalanced gameplay Modern Blizzard Battle.net features The classic is back, in 4K and better than ever!