FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Furious Charge Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)

Guest PoeTayder

So I've been enjoying playing this build (6IK, 4R) for the past few seasons, not pushing with it because I'm not good enough to use CoE to the fullest effect, but enjoying it in GR 70-85.

This season I'm at 96 5 days in, after swapping out boulder toss for rumble. I understand boulder toss does more damage, but if I'm using it mainly as a fury dump I prefer to use rumble that will hit enemies 100% of the time, proccing my focus/restraint vs BT only hitting 75% or less. Is there abother reason to use BT over rumble? (Cast or animation time, worthwhile area damage proc, etc?)

To be clear I'm not saying swapping the two is giving me higher grs, that is mostly lucky gear drops, this guide (props), and the RotRG season, allowing me to use F/R instead of CoE.

The guide says to skip allocating Paragon points to Resource Cost Reduction... I'm wondering what the harm is in allocating them.  It's kind of an annoyance to be prompted to allocate the points every time I log in.  I get that if the main purpose is to dump fury than you don't want to actually reduce the cost, but since Boulder Toss expends all remaining fury anyway, what difference does it make?

I'm curious about the previous poster's question too - using Rumble instead of Boulder Toss.

Some notes:

1) In the skill section of the speed farm page the "Seismic Slam variant" is not mentioned in the table nor even in the text: since later during the page the Seismic Slam variant is mentioned, it should be briefly presented in the skill section too.

2) The speed farm variation only mentions Goldwrap when talking about Kanai's Cube: Vile Ward and Standoff are still the best-in-slot for the armor and weapon slots in the Cube? The question arises since in the spender-builds for GRs they both are replaced (respectively by Skular's Salvation or Bracers of Destruction, and by The Three Hundredth Spear or Fury of the Vanished Peak).

3) In the speed farm variation, "Furious Charge Damage" is still suggested as a stat priority on Pouldrons and Chest Armor: is this a typo?

4) Any explicit suggestion for the best-in-slot Potion and Follower will be very welcome!

On 1/23/2019 at 4:52 PM, Guest PoeTayder said:

So I've been enjoying playing this build (6IK, 4R) for the past few seasons, not pushing with it because I'm not good enough to use CoE to the fullest effect, but enjoying it in GR 70-85.

This season I'm at 96 5 days in, after swapping out boulder toss for rumble. I understand boulder toss does more damage, but if I'm using it mainly as a fury dump I prefer to use rumble that will hit enemies 100% of the time, proccing my focus/restraint vs BT only hitting 75% or less. Is there abother reason to use BT over rumble? (Cast or animation time, worthwhile area damage proc, etc?)

To be clear I'm not saying swapping the two is giving me higher grs, that is mostly lucky gear drops, this guide (props), and the RotRG season, allowing me to use F/R instead of CoE.

If I understand correctly, the main reason for running boulder toss is to minimize your time not using furious charge, because boulder toss expends all of your fury at once, rather than in chunks. This means you get roughly 45 (assuming 150 max fury) seconds off the wrath of the berserker and call of the ancients cooldowns per use rather than 6 or so seconds.

3 hours ago, TallMills said:

If I understand correctly, the main reason for running boulder toss is to minimize your time not using furious charge, because boulder toss expends all of your fury at once, rather than in chunks. This means you get roughly 45 (assuming 150 max fury) seconds off the wrath of the berserker and call of the ancients cooldowns per use rather than 6 or so seconds.

Both AS-BT and SS-Rumble are viable inclusions in FC based build (in spender too, if property itemized) . That said, the former gives slightly more damage if hits the proper target, and has a slightly faster Attack animation than the latter. 

Guest SebaFR74

Hi

thanks for the guide.

In the gear section text, you say the boulbreaker need to have % hammer damage, but in the sheet you % damage.

So for season 17 what is the one we need ?

thanks

18 hours ago, Guest SebaFR74 said:

Hi

thanks for the guide.

In the gear section text, you say the boulbreaker need to have % hammer damage, but in the sheet you % damage.

So for season 17 what is the one we need ?

thanks

It's not HotA, but Call of the Ancients damage, which is a natural roll on the Weapon. Since it is not a great deal in your damage, you should roll it away if possible (can't check it right now, d3 planner says its rollable, i will check afternoon). The sheet Stat priority is accurate. 

Guest Berserk

So its better to have 6IK/4Raekor when you want charge damage build? I dont understand cause in the Introduction window you have IK or Raekor. I would like to check charge dmg build and conversion to Ancient Spear dmg build, what would you recommend, 6IK/4Raekor or 6Raekor/4IK? It looks like Raekor got more dmg for spenders

21 hours ago, Guest Berserk said:

So its better to have 6IK/4Raekor when you want charge damage build? I dont understand cause in the Introduction window you have IK or Raekor. I would like to check charge dmg build and conversion to Ancient Spear dmg build, what would you recommend, 6IK/4Raekor or 6Raekor/4IK? It looks like Raekor got more dmg for spenders

On the gear page, there is more information about the mix, but tl;dr:

-Charge Damage build is 6IK/4Raekor because the IK 6 and the Raekor 4 set both increase FC damage (so does standoff and vile ward) Spender damage build 6Raekor /4IK because Raekor gives higher muliplier to spenders. Since you have RoRg, you need 5 and 3 pieces from the sets. Raekor shoulders, IK Belt and weapon are mandatory because they have no counterparts in the other set. The rest of your set pieces are up to you, can be Raekor or IK. 

And Charge build is far more damage of played correctly. (I. E. Kiting Guardian to a wall then bang FURIOUSly.) 

Some minor corrections and clarifications to make the guide more complete and coherent (for new and casual players expecially):

1) The "Top Tier" label is only for the main build (with Furious Charge) or also for the two spender-dominant specs (Ancient Spear and Seismic Slam)?

2) In the Gear page it written: "high damage range, good Strength and Call of the Ancients %, as well as Vitality are the desired stats on the Immortal King's Boulder Breaker". Why Vitality? The table of stat priorities lists "% Weapon Damage" and "Life per Fury Spent" before Vitality, which being the 6th affix in the list should be out of a perfectly rolled weapon (in contradiction with the quoted text). And is Vitality really more important than the not-even-mentioned "Area Damage" (a recommended stat on many other item slots)?
Moreover, in the speed farming variation page, "Life per Fury Spent" is swapped with "Vitality" in the table of stat priorities for Immortal King's Boulder Breaker (5th and 6th places of the list): why?

3) In the Gear page, when talking about the rings, it is written: "The base damage increase of the armor sets...". I did not understand what this sentence means: can someone explain it to a casual player like I am? ?

4) In the Gear page it is written: "On the topic of jewelry, aim for as perfect of an elemental amulet as you can". Thus, why is "Physical Damage" only in 4th place in the list of stat priorities for the Amulets? Shouldn't it be the 1st (or 2nd, after Socket)?

5) In the Gear page it is written: "In the stat recommendations table below we outline only the stronger Furious Charge-dominant rolls", and that you will be taking "5 Immortal King / 3 Raekor for the (stronger) Furious Charge-dominant spec". Thus, three more IK set piece should be labelled as "Best in Slot" in the table of stat priorities (with their Raekor counterparts marked as "Alternative"). Following the "Best in Slot" labels as they are now one will end up with 2 IK pieces, 6 Raekor, and a cubed RoRG...

6) This one is probably of little or no use, however... In the Gear page, when talking about the Bane of the Stricken gem, it is written: "Raekor specs benefit massively". Can these builds be called "Raekor specs"? The main one uses the full power of the Immortal King set, and only 3 items from the Raekor set...

7) In the Gear page it is written: "In the stat recommendations table below we outline only the stronger Furious Charge-dominant rolls": however, in the table of stat priorities, Skular's Salvation and Bracers of Destruction are mentioned as "Alternatives" to Mortick's Brace, when they should not (since they are alternatives only for the spender variations). Or am I missing something?
In addition, if I understood well what's written in the Kanai's Cube section, Skular's Salvation (if playing around Ancients Spear) and Bracers of Destruction (if playing around Seismic Slam) are interchangeable with Mortick's Brace: you can wear the better rolled item and cube the other. This should be explicitly said in the text of the "Best in Slot Gear and Alternatives" section too, when talking about Mortick's Brace.

8] In the skill section of the speed farming variation page the "Seismic Slam variant" is not mentioned in the table nor even in the text: since later during the page the Seismic Slam variant is mentioned (for example, in the table of stat priorities), it should be briefly presented in the skill section too...

9) In the speed farming variation page, it is written: "use Stone of Jordan of an element appropriate to your main damaging skill". It seems to me that all specs uses Physical damage as main damage dealer: am I right? In this case, this sentence can be simply replaced with "use a Physical damage Stone of Jordan", like the other guides do...

10) In the speed farming variation page, Mortick's Brace is the only bracers mentioned: are Skular's Salvation and Bracers of Destruction completely out of the build? Not even worthing a mention as "alternatives"?

11) In the speed farming variation page, "Furious Charge Damage" is still suggested as a stat priority on Pouldrons and Chest Armor: is this a typo? Or is the Furious Charge-dominant spec still the recommended spec, and the spender-dominant ones are simply weaker alternatives? If all 3 specs are viable (Furious Charge, Ancient Spear, Seismic Slam), it should be explicited in the speed farming variation page too, with a couple of lines on how to use the table of stat priorities below and the rest of the page (skills, bracers, cube, IK/Reakor mix...). It may be redundant with the GR page, but I found this speed farming variation page a little confusing as it is now: when I first studied it I thought it contains only the two spender-dominant specs (although the Seismic Slam one is never mentioned); now I think the Furious Charge-dominant spec is still the strongest one for speed farming too... I think it is worth to add a couple of line to clarify how many and which specs this page is about...

12) In the speed farming variation page, it is written: "In normal rifts, you can also swap out Esoteric Alteration for Boon of the Hoarder". However, the recommended 3rd gem in the GR build is Wreath of Lightning (while Esoteric Alteration is labelled as "alternative"). Thus you should change this sentence by replacing "Esoteric Alteration" with "Wreath of Lightning" (or change the table of recommended gems in the main build by moving the "alt" label from Esoteric Alteration to Wreath of Lightning).

13) The speed farming variation only mentions Goldwrap when talking about Kanai's Cube: Vile Ward and Standoff are still the best-in-slot for the armor and weapon slots in the Cube? The question arises since in the spender-builds for GRs they both are replaced (respectively by Skular's Salvation or Bracers of Destruction, and by The Three Hundredth Spear or Fury of the Vanished Peak).

14) Stone of Jordan (recommended on the speed farming variation) naturally has +Elemental damage % (hoping to get Physical...), Increase damage against elites (not rerollable), Strenght (that can be rerolled into something else) and just one more stat: thus, the order in which its stat priorities are written should be choosen carefully. Given as it is, the recommended 3rd and 4th stat are Crit Chance and Crit Damage, leaving the Socket out! This should be fixed, right?

15) Some short questions about the table of the stat priorities (both GR and speed farming):
For the Helm and Boots slots in the speed farm variation (in theory this holds for their GR spender versions too), is "Ancient Spear or Seismic Slam Damage" really less important than Crit Chance (for helms), Vitality and All Resistances (for boots)?
For the Shoulder and Torso slots, is "Furious Charge Damage" really less important than Area Damage (for shoulders) and Vitality (for torso)?
Why is Armor among the stat priorities for the Pants? It is of little use for a Barbarian, it's the only item where Armor is mentioned as a stat priority, and it's the 5th affix on the list... Isn't it better to remove it entirely?
For the jewelry, why is "Socket" only 3rd in the list of stat priorities, instead of 1st? Reading this list, it may seem that a Band of Might with Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Area Damage and Strenght (i.e., missing a Socket, the 3rd stat on the list) is better than one with Crit Damage, Socket, Area Damage and Strenght (i.e., missing Crit Chance, the top stat of the list), but it does not make any sense to me. Or am I wrong?
For the Amulets, are "Crit Chance" and "Crit Damage" more important than "Physical Damage"?
I noticed that the list of stat priorities for the Rings has a single difference between GR and speed farming builds: Strenght and Area Damage are swapped (4th and 5th place): why?

16) In the Paragon Points section, the priority for the Core slot are: 1. Movement Speed up to 25% cap, 2. Maximum Fury, 3. Strength, 4. Vitality. Since Strength and Vitality have no cap, it is not clear which is the recommended point allocation after reaching 25% Movement Speed and maximizing Fury: all into Strenght? Or alternatively one point into Strength and one into Vitality?
Similarly, for the other slots, is there a recommended rotation for allocating Paragon Points? For example: is it better to maximize Crit Damage before moving to Crit Chance, or raising them both together one by one? Or PP should be spended to compensate gear imbalancies (for example prioritizing Crit Chance if you have more Crit Damage from gear)?

17) For the 5 sockets of Torso and Pants the guide suggests Rubies (for Damage) and/or Diamonds (for Toughness): how many of each? Is there a recommendation or it's completely up to personal preference? Is the choice linked to the stats rolled on gear, or to the number and allocation of paragon points?

18) In the Kanai's Cube section it is written: "the Vile Ward shoulder has been moved to the cube to ease the way for pure offense jewelry, as well as to maximize the shoulder's power in one stroke". I did not understand this sentence too: why cubing Vile Ward eases equipping offensive jewelry?

19) In the Kanai's Cube section it is written: "When playing around Seismic Slam, you will alternate this slot to Bracers of Destruction". Do you mean that the cube Armor slot is interchangeable between Bracers of Destruction and Mortick's Brace (wearing the better rolled one)? This should be said more explicitly, as you did for the Ancient Spear variation...

20) The usual link from the Gear page to the Follower page is missing. Which is the best follower for the Furious Charge Barbarian specifically? Templar, Scoundrel or Enchantress? With which gear (Thunderfury with Wyrdward? Freeze of Deflection with Justice Lantern? ...)? With which skills (Inspire or Guardian? Mass Control or Focused Mind? ...)?

21) Which is the best Legendary Potion for this build?

Guest Thoughtless

Anyone know about what Paragon or strength augments + Paragon is needed for certain rift levels? I'm Paragon 830 with 13.6 k strength and did rift 97 pretty easily