Blainie

Corpse Lance Necromancer (Patch 2.6.4)

Sign in to follow this  

17 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments and feedback about our Corpse Lance Necromancer build guide.

• Like 1

I am wondering how the Trag'oul variaty will be able to solo anything. Unless you've got people with you to make some kills, its impossible to start damaging

I'm wondering the same thing about solo'ing with this build. It's a big PITA to solo without something to at least get the corpse count started so you can start taking advantage of the corpse lance. Land of the dead is only good every 2 minutes, so are you supposed to blood rush around in circles for two minutes to generate some of your own corpses and hope that you get enough going to take care of large packs?

Uhm, unless I'm mistaken, this build is NOT top tier as you have to have a group to even use it so there are more corpses - otherwise, you get killed over and over.. then rage quit.    I started changing my gear and things to match this set - it sucks and is WAY too complicated to use effectively.   Diablo is a casual gaming experience for most of us, and this just makes it feel like work. :(

I find this set to be good, if you go with Maltorius' Petrified Spike and Bone Spear (w/ Blood Spear rune). It's much more damage than Corpse lance, and you can move about a lot more.
You also don't need teammates or Land of the Dead to initiate a fight.

My buddy was using pestilence and the bone spear M petrified spike, he still has concerns about playing that on his own without my monk for help getting started. I think he'd be fine, but never quick in rifts, often down right slow. To start rifts he'd be vulnerable defensively and lack corpses offensively, and even throughout when there are breaks in enemies. But holy smokes is it ever deadly with a team mate. There are times once you get going you can blow through everything yourself, but you don't get such an awesome spread of enemies every time, and the best option for this build to kill without corpses is probably bone spear, and it's not quite good enough when trying to maximise your difficulty. Suppose you could probably do one that should be way to hard in the 15 minutes if you get started and then on a roll for the entirety, but that's perfect world. Looks like you could fail one you can easily beat too, there would be a vast difference between the potential to take way longer or go quickly. 

I think for solo it has to be lower level rifts than you are capable of, awesome spacing between enemies, or you have to be incredible at making sure you start rifts, and new areas with your empowered bone spear, Which probably disappears to start a GR. I think I'll try a Rathma minion build for my necro. But I'm curious for the explanation on how good players and how my buddy can get started. Land of the dead can't possibly be that much better than an empowered bone spear, should be worse no?  

Edit* Ha I was thinking of army of the dead. Never understood the using corpses at will part, could you guys explain? Don't need corpses to use the corpse spells? need available corpses but don't end up using them? Don't cost anything or have cooldowns? Or how does that work?

Edited by Knutsanity

On 1/22/2019 at 3:53 PM, Guest Aeris said:

why on speed farm Pestilence set, you use Vigilante Belt and not Witching hour?

Cooldown reduction.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:39 PM, Guest confuseddiabloist said:

Uhm, unless I'm mistaken, this build is NOT top tier as you have to have a group to even use it so there are more corpses - otherwise, you get killed over and over.. then rage quit.    I started changing my gear and things to match this set - it sucks and is WAY too complicated to use effectively.   Diablo is a casual gaming experience for most of us, and this just makes it feel like work. 😞

Uses a top tier build

Complains that it's not casual enough

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2019 at 4:17 PM, Knutsanity said:

My buddy was using pestilence and the bone spear M petrified spike, he still has concerns about playing that on his own without my monk for help getting started. I think he'd be fine, but never quick in rifts, often down right slow. To start rifts he'd be vulnerable defensively and lack corpses offensively, and even throughout when there are breaks in enemies. But holy smokes is it ever deadly with a team mate. There are times once you get going you can blow through everything yourself, but you don't get such an awesome spread of enemies every time, and the best option for this build to kill without corpses is probably bone spear, and it's not quite good enough when trying to maximise your difficulty. Suppose you could probably do one that should be way to hard in the 15 minutes if you get started and then on a roll for the entirety, but that's perfect world. Looks like you could fail one you can easily beat too, there would be a vast difference between the potential to take way longer or go quickly. 

I think for solo it has to be lower level rifts than you are capable of, awesome spacing between enemies, or you have to be incredible at making sure you start rifts, and new areas with your empowered bone spear, Which probably disappears to start a GR. I think I'll try a Rathma minion build for my necro. But I'm curious for the explanation on how good players and how my buddy can get started. Land of the dead can't possibly be that much better than an empowered bone spear, should be worse no?  

Edit* Ha I was thinking of army of the dead. Never understood the using corpses at will part, could you guys explain? Don't need corpses to use the corpse spells? need available corpses but don't end up using them? Don't cost anything or have cooldowns? Or how does that work?

Land of the dead makes all your corpse skills act as if there is corpses around you at all times, so they effectively are free.

Wow, that explains everything then, so as long as you try and go into each new area with land of the dead cooled down, you can start plenty fast. Wild. So the build is just fine for solo then. My buddy wasn't even using that skill yet, we had no idea what it meant when we saw it at first a while ago, and had mostly used minion builds until he died and had to switch to another set very recently. Don't think either of us thought of it, to test it. We've both left the necro to our last 3 classes to work up to T 13 and beyond on HC, so little gameplay time with them comparatively. We'll probably play again soon, I'll let him know, thank you kindly. Now imagining his build with land of the dead, I feel like I'm starting to understand why people think Necro is so powerful.  It will probably be right up there with our best characters already without much grinding. 

20 hours ago, Knutsanity said:

Wow, that explains everything then, so as long as you try and go into each new area with land of the dead cooled down, you can start plenty fast. Wild. So the build is just fine for solo then. My buddy wasn't even using that skill yet, we had no idea what it meant when we saw it at first a while ago, and had mostly used minion builds until he died and had to switch to another set very recently. Don't think either of us thought of it, to test it. We've both left the necro to our last 3 classes to work up to T 13 and beyond on HC, so little gameplay time with them comparatively. We'll probably play again soon, I'll let him know, thank you kindly. Now imagining his build with land of the dead, I feel like I'm starting to understand why people think Necro is so powerful.  It will probably be right up there with our best characters already without much grinding. 

This is why cooldown reduction is so insanely important on this build. Outside of LotD, the only thing you can do is kite, find elites to kill and look for pylons. You are not expected to kill anything without it. Once you pop it, you have a window to kill at least 1 elite and then finish off whatever else you can, ideally another elite/elite pack. It seems strange at first, but it is wildly effective. Channeling Pylons are also absurdly good on this build. You can basically use 3 LotDs back-to-back, and at that point, you should move between any packs you can find, killing whatever you can.

I'm probably just bad, but I don't see how the Trag'oul build is top tier. So far it seems to be "Activate Land of the Dead to deal a quarter of a damage to a grey minion.", before then doing nothing until you can do it again.

I took out the Simulacrum, since I didn't find it doing much, and replaced it with a Flesh Golem+Moribund Gauntlet. Just because that way I have a somewhat consistent way to get access to the entire resource the build is based on. Before I then activate Land of the Dead and do another quarter. So am I just a noob (probably), or is this set not really as top tier as it seems to be advertised as?

I'm using this build pretty effectively, but haven't gotten too high in rifts yet, and am using the Trag version.  One suggestion is until you get your cool down, swap out the Simulcrum with Flesh Golem, then you can alternate between Land of the Dead, and starting out fights with the Flesh Golem.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, Guest Boio said:

I'm probably just bad, but I don't see how the Trag'oul build is top tier. So far it seems to be "Activate Land of the Dead to deal a quarter of a damage to a grey minion.", before then doing nothing until you can do it again.

I took out the Simulacrum, since I didn't find it doing much, and replaced it with a Flesh Golem+Moribund Gauntlet. Just because that way I have a somewhat consistent way to get access to the entire resource the build is based on. Before I then activate Land of the Dead and do another quarter. So am I just a noob (probably), or is this set not really as top tier as it seems to be advertised as?

What GR level are you trying? Removing simulacrum will reduce your damage by about 30-40% so I wouldn't recommend it. When LotD is up you should be holding down corpse lance on your target (preferably an elite) and spamming devour so you don't kill yourself. It's certainly the best necromancer build right now, although after the "balance" patch it's weaker than any other class.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this