FORUMS
Starym

Warcraft 1 and 2 Now Available on GOG

Xcrp3Cm.jpg

Following the original Diablo's addition to the Good Old Games store Blizzard are now adding Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft 2 Battle.net edition (which has Beyond the Dark Portal included) as well! The franchise's 25th anniversary is coming up this year and this is a great way to celebrate (in addition to the upcoming Warcraft 3: Reforged)!
Here's the full announcement:

Blizzard LogoWarcraft 1 and 2 on GOG (source)

In anticipation of the upcoming 25th anniversary of Warcraft, we’ve partnered with GOG.COM to rerelease the real-time strategy classics that started it all—Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition, including both the original Tides of Darkness and the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion. Starting today, players can once again explore these universe-defining games as they become available digitally and DRM-free for the first time ever, exclusively on GOG.COM!

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans takes players back to the original battle for Azeroth, challenging players to pick a side and raise an army of humans or orcs capable of bringing ruin to their enemies. Warcraft II and its expansion take the battle to the high seas with a host of naval units, and introduces more of the races that make up the Alliance and the Horde, bolstering the human and orc forces with elves, trolls, dwarves, and more.

The version of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans available on GOG.COM has been fully optimized to run out-of the-box on today’s operating systems. Meanwhile, players who purchase Warcraft II through GOG.COM will get two versions: one that’s been updated with support for high-resolution displays and multiplayer via LAN connections; and a period-appropriate classic version that includes the original SVGA graphics, and matchmaking through the classic version of the Battle.net online-gaming service.

Ready to go back to where it all started? Warcraft: Orcs & Humans for Windows and Mac and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition for Windows are available now on GOG.COM for $5.99 and $9.99 respectively! You can also purchase the Warcraft Bundle, which includes both games, for $14.99.

FAQ

Q: Will these two games be similar to Warcraft III: Reforged coming out later this year?
A: Warcraft III: Reforged is a top-to-bottom remake, with rebuilt assets, contemporary social and matchmaking support, and a suite of all-new features. The GOG.COM rereleases of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition represent the games in their original forms, with versions that include HD resolution support, compatibility with today’s PC operating systems, and quality-of-life additions.

Q: What languages will Warcraft and Warcraft II be localized in?
A: Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition are available in English only.

Q: Why are there two versions of Warcraft II the game?
A: Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II is are available in their its original, unchanged Battle.net-compatible versions as well as a GOG-enhanced version.

Q: What is different between the Battle.net and GOG-enhanced versions of the game?
A: The original Battle.net version of the game is completely unchanged and allows players to connect to one another through the classic version of Battle.net.

The GOG-enhanced version offers several quality of life additions, including minor audio fixes, upscaling support for resolution and refresh rate control, and compatibility fixes. Please note that these versions cannot connect to classic Battle.net and only support multiplayer via LAN and P2P connection.

Q: Is the GOG GALAXY client required to play Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition?
A: While the GOG GALAXY client offers streamlined features for managing installations, it is not required to play Warcraft: Orcs & Humans or Warcraft II Battle.net Edition.

Q: What are the system requirements for running Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition?
A: The full list of system requirements is available on GOG.COM.

Q: Will Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition be available through the Blizzard Battle.net desktop app?
A: No, Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition are currently available for sale or download only on GOG.COM.

Q: Is Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne coming to GOG.COM?
A: The original versions of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne are currently available for purchase digitally on the Battle.net Shop. We have no additional announcements at this time.

Q: Are other classic Blizzard games available on GOG.COM?
A: Yes! We recently released partnered with GOG.COM to rerelease the original Diablo. Check out this blog for more information.

so I guess they are no longer considered abandonware then. gotta say though the price is pretty high for some 20-25 year old games... I remember getting Diablo in the early 00's with a magazine for like €4, and that version is still running fine even on Win10.

15 Euro for the bundle seems like a bad joke.

Especially if you think about all the Steam-sales, Humble-Bundles...

5 hours ago, jinsu2301 said:

so I guess they are no longer considered abandonware then. gotta say though the price is pretty high for some 20-25 year old games... I remember getting Diablo in the early 00's with a magazine for like €4, and that version is still running fine even on Win10.

At least Blizzard opens these games for sale again. They own the license and don't sell or support these games anymore for like 15 years. I guess they didn't open it for their Blizzard Launcher because they would have to support it again.
It's quite some money. But still, these are the great games of Blizzards rise and I can skip some McDonalds menus for that. :p
The good thing is, GOG makes old games fully playable on modern systems. I had many issues with cutscenes and briefings in WC2.

5 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

15 Euro for the bundle seems like a bad joke.

15 can be much or nothing, depending on the player.

If you became a WarCraft fan with later games or have good memories with these old titles it is a great deal. I mean these are some of the few games of the 90s that are still known classics to this day.

But if you are new to WarCraft or just play casually in general, you should stay away from this. Especially the outdated controls can drive you crazy.

It is literally a dividing black and white price

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alkasar said:

But still, these are the great games of Blizzards rise and I can skip some McDonalds menus for that. 😛
The good thing is, GOG makes old games fully playable on modern systems. I had many issues with cutscenes and briefings in WC2.

I cannot dispute that WC1 or WC2 are not great games. If by "fully playable on modern systems" you meant only the capability of running it nowadays, then I agree too. But sadly, [IMO] WC1 is currently unplayable and WC2 is hardly playable. Hell, I found WC3 cringy after I've played some SC2. I am not convinced that WC1 +2 pack will be a very great experience, provided you count the nostalgia out.

Rather funny that now Warcraft 1 is no longer considered abandonware, I remember getting it from one of major abandonware sites something like 12 years ago. Warcraft 2 is still somewhat playable, but Warcraft 1 with single unit selection is just uncomfortable to play. Doesn't seem worth it, if there isn't at least any increase to unit selection. They should have put them on Battlenet as well, but perhaps letting them being handled by GOG is cheaper (also, interesting what people think now seeing "saviors" from CD Projekt working with "evil" Activision-Blizzard).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alkasar said:

15 can be much or nothing, depending on the player.

If you became a WarCraft fan with later games or have good memories with these old titles it is a great deal. I mean these are some of the few games of the 90s that are still known classics to this day.

But if you are new to WarCraft or just play casually in general, you should stay away from this. Especially the outdated controls can drive you crazy.

It is literally a dividing black and white price

And if you enjoyed both games a lot (personally, I started with WC 2 and not WC1. WC 1 was a little before my time) you already got them for free from abandonware. 

If you loved the games you already have them.

If you love Blizzard you buy them now for 15 bucks.

Or in other words: If you didn't want the games for free, why should you want them if they cost money?

10 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

If you loved the games you already have them.

If you love Blizzard you buy them now for 15 bucks.

Or in other words: If you didn't want the games for free, why should you want them if they cost money?

The problem for me was that the free versions were mostly unmodified and thus didnt work as intended. As I mentioned, cutscenes and briefings were broken for me. Along with some minor sound issues. The same happens on the DOS browser version.
GOG usually makes these games work perfectly. 

For example, I still have Lucas Arts' Star Wars Racer and Outlaws on CD. But they are buggy as hell on modern computers. The GOG versions work fine though.