FORUMS
Stan

Diablo Animated Series Coming to Netflix

S5E0C5LJEJH11505328735106.jpg

Blizzard recently registered a trademark which hints at an animated series for Diablo.

While nothing has been officially confirmed by Blizzard, Spiel Times reported that Blizzard Entertainment registered a goods and service trademark on March 8 which says: "Downloadable films and movies featuring narratives based on a video game and provided via a video-on-demand service."

You can check out the full article over at Spiel Times

diablotrademark.jpg

(Image courtesy of Spiel Times)

Andrew Cosby, also in charge of Hellboy screenplay, appears to be the project's screenwriter, according to Spiel Times. He even confirmed it in a tweet, which was later deleted for obvious reasons.

"I guess I can confirm I am indeed in final talks to write and show-run the new DIABLO animated series for Activision and Netflix. It's very exciting and I hope to the High Heavens it all works out."

Cosby19sep.jpg

(Image courtesy of Spiel Times)

Finally, we have a tweet teasing the secret project he's working on.

Placeholder for tweet 1106005605133639683

In August last year, Community Manager Nevalistis talked in a video about the future of Diablo, claiming there were multiple projects in the works at the company. Besides Diablo IV and Diablo: Immortal, we think this animated series for Diablo is one of them. 

Are you looking forward to seeing Diablo lore on Netflix? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

25 minutes ago, Stan said:

Blizzard recently registered a trademark which hints at an animated series for Diablo.

Thank God it is animated. If it is live-action it will be awful.

Can't wait. I feel like it will have a lynch mob regardless of how good it is. Diablo immortal was pretty sick at the blizzcon floor. And you know the rest. 

Animated could be bad too, if it's cheap CGI. Hopefully it's more in a "drawn" style, not sure about what kind of story they can make. My guess would be some type of side story, as adaptating campaigns likely won't translate well into animated series.

Edited by Arcling

1 hour ago, Arcling said:

Animated could be bad too, if it's cheap CGI. Hopefully it's more in a "drawn" style, not sure about what kind of story they can make. My guess would be some type of side story, as adaptating campaigns likely won't translate well into animated series.

Yeah, if it goes the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" route, it is gonna suck pretty bad. But Blizzard would be pretty stupid to commit another mistake like that after Diablo Immortal... Right? RIGHT?! GUYS?!?!

3 hours ago, Arcling said:

I hope it's backstory, way before the games. Something like Tales from the creation of Sanctuary. That way they are less likely to mess up any big plot-lines or characters for the upcoming Diablo IV (I am assuming the animated series and the game teams are not working that closely).

1 hour ago, lChronosl said:

I hope it's backstory, way before the games. Something like Tales from the creation of Sanctuary. That way they are less likely to mess up any big plot-lines or characters for the upcoming Diablo IV (I am assuming the animated series and the game teams are not working that closely).

I agree with you, but I definitely wanna see/hear Deckard Cain. Maybe he could be the narrator telling the story of creation as if he was reading a book.

i hope they will get some inspiration from astonishing series "black mirror" or "love death and robots" and tell many little scary and terrifying stories and tales from the world of sanctuary. Little glimpses into many different topics that make you want to know more. Please r-rated.

We've been asking for this for decades, literal decades, way back when I was first playing Star Craft and Diablo 2 people were saying that they wanted Blizzard to do animated series/movies, and now that we're getting it... All people can say is snarky memes and poo poo it.

Really guys?

The people involved have proven track records, Netflix has put out some baller animations recently, and Andrew Cosby looks competent.

Lets just wait and see how it goes.

2 hours ago, tkioz said:

We've been asking for this for decades, literal decades, way back when I was first playing Star Craft and Diablo 2 people were saying that they wanted Blizzard to do animated series/movies, and now that we're getting it... All people can say is snarky memes and poo poo it.

Really guys?

The people involved have proven track records, Netflix has put out some baller animations recently, and Andrew Cosby looks competent.

Lets just wait and see how it goes.

Because Blizzard has changed since those times, and so they changed Diablo. I highly doubt that the series would stick to D1 or D2 art/lore style.

The standard for this IMO should be the Castlevania Netflix series. It's a recent example of an excellent Western animated series that not only looked great, but was great to watch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blainie said:

The standard for this IMO should be the Castlevania Netflix series. It's a recent example of an excellent Western animated series that not only looked great, but was great to watch.

Personally, I didn't like it and stopped watching after 2 episodes. Storytelling and characters didn't appeal in the slightest to me.

The look was good though.

Generally spoken, it could be interesting.

However, I am very disappointed in Blizzards ability to tell a story or give us interesting characters in the last years. And I still haven't seen a single Netflix series that I loved. True, I haven't seen much (I don't have Netflix), but what I have seen ranged from ok to very bad.

House of Cards, Marco Polo, Peaky Blinders, Lucifer, Breaking Bad...

All of those series had an interesting setting, which differed a lot from most other shows.

But the plot and the characters weren't interesting enough to keep me watching. Peaky Blinders and Lucifer aren't bad to watch, but seriously, who needs more then one season? I liked season 1 enough to watch till the end, but never bothered to buy season 2.

The others I stopped watching in mid season, I have rarely been more disappointed. Laughable plots, extremly boring story, characters that aren't even worse giving them a name.

I am sure there are some great shows from Netflix out there - I just haven't seen one yet.

I'll take a look at the new series and I hope that it will be fun to watch. But I do not expect something great, if I can rate it 6 out of 10 I am completly satisfied.

10 minutes ago, WedgeAntilles said:

Personally, I didn't like it and stopped watching after 2 episodes. Storytelling and characters didn't appeal in the slightest to me.

The Castlevania animated series start very slow and indeed is not very appealing, but believe me, it gets better. It is "moody", though. The series itself has a bigger appeal to those who played Castlevania III on the NES, though, but still has its share of appeal for all fans of Castlevania (season 2, in particular, has an episode where you see all sort of references and "cameos").

Season 2 actually makes references to the (very underrated) Curse of Darkness (which launched for PS2 and XBOX360).

Edited by Valhalen

On 4/4/2019 at 10:35 PM, Valhalen said:

Thank God it is animated. If it is live-action it will be awful.

I largely agree. Thing is, if you want to make a good live action movie, it needs to cost a fortune, especially for fantasy / sci-fi genres. SFX cost immense amounts in production. Now, with TV shows you have very little chance to get a blockbuster-tier budget, so there is no way you can keep up with your wishes, not to mention the fan expectations. Even Game of Thrones features very little dragon shots or dire wolves, due to budget constraints. And yes, I am talking about the biggest show there's been in the recent years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VegaPl said:

I largely agree. Thing is, if you want to make a good live action movie, it needs to cost a fortune, especially for fantasy / sci-fi genres. SFX cost immense amounts in production. Now, with TV shows you have very little chance to get a blockbuster-tier budget, so there is no way you can keep up with your wishes, not to mention the fan expectations. Even Game of Thrones features very little dragon shots or dire wolves, due to budget constraints. And yes, I am talking about the biggest show there's been in the recent years.

Your posting makes me sad 😞 And the biggest problem is: Most think along the same lines like you.

No, you do not need great effects, awesome action or stuff like that for a great show.

You need great characters and you need a well constructed story for a great show.

Babylon 5 (the best show ever aired) had a low budget. What Star Trek had for one Episode, they had for half the season. Did you see that? Sure. The space fights were cheap animations. Not many polygones. But that didn't matter, because everything else was awesome. A fantastic plot, which seemed so real and realistic. You had characters that made you think: Yes, that could indeed happen the way it does.

But back to the space fights - B5 managed to make those fights much greater than any ST fights. Yeah, it looked "chep" and you saw that the effects were computer generated. Still, they made the fights great. Because even though the look wasn't great, the feeling was great. Because they managed to give the fights a "real" feeling, because the Starfuries behaved like a real fighter would behave in space. Physics applied.

What makes a show great costs very little.

Action and effects are just like sugar. Mix enough in it and people will eat any piece of *filtered* because the suger coats the other ingredients of bad quality. And if you look behind the sugar (action/effects) there is just an empty shell that won't feed you at all.

And by the way: Action is boring. Sure, if you are 12 or something like that action is great. I loved it too. But how long does it take until you realize, that action is indeed quite boring? Or do you seriously believe, that the hero of the movie will die in an action scene? Of course not. You know exactly what the ending of the action scene will be. Bad guys dead (or escaped, depending on how early you are in the movie) and the good guy survives.

13 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

And by the way: Action is boring. Sure, if you are 12 or something like that action is great. I loved it too. But how long does it take until you realize, that action is indeed quite boring? Or do you seriously believe, that the hero of the movie will die in an action scene? Of course not. You know exactly what the ending of the action scene will be. Bad guys dead (or escaped, depending on how early you are in the movie) and the good guy survives.

I'd disagree with this, but obviously, it is personal preference. I absolutely love good action scenes and, when done well, think they can be some of the best parts of a series/film. I think it's pretty unfair to paint action scenes as boring in all instances unless you are 12. Some people like them, others don't. Personally, I'd love to watch the nephalem's skills on display in a full length animated series.

17 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

3 hours ago, Blainie said:

I'd disagree with this, but obviously, it is personal preference. I absolutely love good action scenes and, when done well, think they can be some of the best parts of a series/film. I think it's pretty unfair to paint action scenes as boring in all instances unless you are 12. Some people like them, others don't. Personally, I'd love to watch the nephalem's skills on display in a full length animated series.

Action is boring depending on how it is handled. If the screenplay is right, the acting is right, the camera is right, action scenes become memorable. Take Die Hard, for example, which has become a "christmas movie" in the U.S. It has some of the most memorable scenes ever because of how well directed it was; some scenes might be "cheesy" or even "clichèd" by today's standards, but still is a fantastic piece of work.

We can say that action movies today are boring because they've fell in a safe territory. Hollywood is not willing to take risks and invests in the same stuff, which results in most movies looking the same. Every era has their Steven Seagals, Jason Stathams and whatnot.

I think you can't talk about action movies without talking about inevitable moments of fist fight between the main protagonist and the villain, and that is where Hollywood falters; since most pretty boys acting can't really fight, you end up with those really awkward camera angles that hide the clumsy movements of the actors delivering punches against each other. Now take for example every single piece of action that legendary chinese action movie stars like Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Donnie Yen and Jackie Chan have delivered; it is amazing because those guys CAN fight, and use camerawork to their advantage (assuming we are talking about their original movies in China, because Hollywood does a pretty shitty job when doing camerawork for them).

This video by Tony from "Every Frame a Painting" explains perfectly how well crafted Jackie Chan movies are:

Edited by Valhalen
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Valhalen said:

Action is boring depending on how it is handled. If the screenplay is right, the acting is right, the camera is right, action scenes become memorable. Take Die Hard, for example, which has become a "christmas movie" in the U.S. It has some of the most memorable scenes ever because of how well directed it was; some scenes might be "cheesy" or even "clichèd" by today's standards, but still is a fantastic piece of work.

We can say that action movies today are boring because they've fell in a safe territory. Hollywood is not willing to take risks and invests in the same stuff, which results in most movies looking the same. Every era has their Steven Seagals, Jason Stathams and whatnot.

[...]

Well said sir.

And an animated series have a huge advantage on doing action scenes compared to a live action, since you can get it right on the first attempt. Not to mention looser anatomy and physics rules.

Edited by lChronosl
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blainie said:

If action is embedded in an interesting story I agree. Then those scenes can be cool to watch.

If they are something new that can even be awesome. Personally, I love the movie Sucker Punch. Great story and the first minutes are the best I have ever seen. And I love the action here. Cool music and not the usual "I have seen this a thousand times already".

But if there is nothing but action - where is the point?

Is Terminator 3 better then Terminator 1 because there is more action?

If a show can efford great CGI and action that's nice.

But - and that is my main point - if you can't afford those stuff that doesn't matter.

A show can be great without expensive CGI and effects.

But a show can never be great without characters, story and atmosphere.

But today most movies just focus on action, action, action. And that is - at least to me - boring as hell.
Producers do not bother to make interesting stories or characters anymore. They just relay on action, action, action.

I repeat myself, but Babylon 5 had no expensive CGI - and is still the greatest show ever aired.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.