Jump to content
FORUMS
Stan

Kevin Johnson Leaves Blizzard

Recommended Posts

42005-kevin-johnson-leaving-heroes-of-th

Kevin "Cloaken" Johnson announced on Twitter a few days ago that he is leaving the company. The voice of Heroes of the Storm was narrating Hero spotlights before the changes to the game and got later transferred to work on a different game within the company earlier this year.

We wish him success in his future endeavors!

Placeholder for tweet 1119273834513928192
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this means no more commentary in spotlights (or no spotlights at all). He also did SC2 ones. Now his announcer is going to sound pretty weird in the context of "seeing you in the Nexus".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin will forever be missed. He was truly the voice of this game. I'm glad he has been immortalized as an Announcer. 

On a side note, I wonder if Anduin's spotlight will feature his narration; maybe that was the last thing he did before leaving Blizzard.

I also wonder who will take his place in the spotlight narrations. I've heard some rumors that Lana Bachynski (Lead Animator) might take the role.

Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kurosu said:

You gotta love how every single person leaves the company one by one.Abandon ship!

Its normal that employees switch companies, get directed to other projects or just want to get a new "horizon" in case of experience or more money for their experience. Thats nothing special for Blizzard and imo tells nothing about the state of the company... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heartbroken. Such a chill guy with a super nice heart and I wish him only luck in his future endeavours. We lost an amazing person today.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The equity promise is tough to turn down from people with venture capital and a startup.

If you have Blizzard on your resume and a known name you’re immediately going to be offered a percentage of a new company and a sizable six figure salary.  The potential upside can’t be matched.

For those of you that know Atari/Activision history?  David Crane, Bob Whitehead, Alan Miller and Larry Kaplan went from making $20,000 a year for Atari in the late 70’s to founding/owning Activision.  I’m sure they’re doing okay.

Edited by Misuteri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Baharok said:

Its normal that employees switch companies, get directed to other projects or just want to get a new "horizon" in case of experience or more money for their experience. Thats nothing special for Blizzard and imo tells nothing about the state of the company... 

Denial is the first stage of the grieving process. Starcraft > abandoned . Hots> abandoned. Diablo> do you have a phone mate? Wow>a shadow of its past.Destiny 2>Bungie is considering moving on without Blizzard.Overwatch > still at a good spot but eventually will be out of date if it doesnt even get abandoned to begin with. Only Hearthstone is at a good place.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kurosu said:

Denial is the first stage of the grieving process. Starcraft > abandoned . Hots> abandoned. Diablo> do you have a phone mate? Wow>a shadow of its past.Destiny 2>Bungie is considering moving on without Blizzard.Overwatch > still at a good spot but eventually will be out of date if it doesnt even get abandoned to begin with. Only Hearthstone is at a good place.

And now it would be awesome, if you tell your own meaning and take deeper thoughts and researches into account instead of repeating the hateful tattle mass of forums.

🙂

Generalisation of meanings (stuff like "WoW > shadow of its past" is something like that or the wrong statement of Bungie with Destiny 2 is as well - since there are other reasons), is somehow very smart imo. I  personal like WoW in its state. Bugs were in every expansion and with every new system, there are coming different problems to this game. I accept this process with the time i spent to play this game. If i dont like it, i dont play it anymore. If i need a break, then i take a break. But im not a god or something to tell a company, that they are completely wrong. Its still THEIR project. You can support it or you criticise it. If you criticise it, then do it respectful with nice manners. Hatespeech and pure tattle, doesnt helps at all. That doesnt mean i fully support all decisions of Blizzard, but i can have somehow "far sight" and think about some steps and its processes behind it. They are swithcing alot stuff in the future and still - its a company, which needs to earn money to stay alive. That being said, the "critics" about "grind" and so on in that game are just not well thought to the end. Its their ticket to hold customers. There are more than enough customers playing with that system. You can now say its addiction, yes maybe, but its also possible that people actually like this systems (me included). 

 

Also i just told that its normal that employees switch companies. If you are working (probably you are still going to school / study) and want to increase your skills, you WILL switch your personal workplaces. It doesnt matters in this case if its the own company (if its big enough to provide such differences and experiencegains) or if you move on to complete different companies / workplaces, yes even genres.

- That my friend, has nothing to do with denial, its reality.

Edited by Baharok
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Baharok said:

And now it would be awesome, if you tell your own meaning and take deeper thoughts and researches into account instead of repeating the hateful tattle mass of forums.

🙂

Generalisation of meanings (stuff like "WoW > shadow of its past" is something like that or the wrong statement of Bungie with Destiny 2 is as well - since there are other reasons), is somehow very smart imo. I  personal like WoW in its state. Bugs were in every expansion and with every new system, there are coming different problems to this game. I accept this process with the time i spent to play this game. If i dont like it, i dont play it anymore. If i need a break, then i take a break. But im not a god or something to tell a company, that they are completely wrong. Its still THEIR project. You can support it or you criticise it. If you criticise it, then do it respectful with nice manners. Hatespeech and pure tattle, doesnt helps at all. That doesnt mean i fully support all decisions of Blizzard, but i can have somehow "far sight" and think about some steps and its processes behind it. They are swithcing alot stuff in the future and still - its a company, which needs to earn money to stay alive. That being said, the "critics" about "grind" and so on in that game are just not well thought to the end. Its their ticket to hold customers. There are more than enough customers playing with that system. You can now say its addiction, yes maybe, but its also possible that people actually like this systems (me included). 

 

Also i just told that its normal that employees switch companies. If you are working (probably you are still going to school / study) and want to increase your skills, you WILL switch your personal workplaces. It doesnt matters in this case if its the own company (if its big enough to provide such differences and experiencegains) or if you move on to complete different companies / workplaces, yes even genres.

- That my friend, has nothing to do with denial, its reality.

I have only read your first 2 sentences because I realised what kind of person I am arguing with when you just consider everything | hatefull tattle mass of the forums". 1) I do not use forums to begin with but lets play along with your own assumption. 2 ) All of the things I said are true. Its not subjective.Projects have been abandoned. Diablo did become a mobile game. Nothing is subjective.Its true cold facts. Now I understand you want to support the company,good for you actually, but some of us prefer to deal with reality and call things as they are.Your "reality" is that of a blindfolded fanboy. You dress major figures of the company that were there for years at leading position as simple employees.Doesnt even make sense but you are desperate to justify everything so maybe in a way it does. Bottom line : just because you blindfold yourself doesnt mean the rest of us have to do as well. After all the numbers talk for themselves.

 

And no its not an out of season April's Fools joke.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kurosu said:

I have only read your first 2 sentences because I realised what kind of person I am arguing with when you just consider everything | hatefull tattle mass of the forums". 1) I do not use forums to begin with but lets play along with your own assumption. 2 ) All of the things I said are true. Its not subjective.Projects have been abandoned. Diablo did become a mobile game. Nothing is subjective.Its true cold facts. Now I understand you want to support the company,good for you actually, but some of us prefer to deal with reality and call things as they are.Your "reality" is that of a blindfolded fanboy. You dress major figures of the company that were there for years at leading position as simple employees.Doesnt even make sense but you are desperate to justify everything so maybe in a way it does. Bottom line : just because you blindfold yourself doesnt mean the rest of us have to do as well. After all the numbers talk for themselves.

 

And no its not an out of season April's Fools joke.

Whatever is all i can say to that. Changing words to your favour.... at this point im out here. "fanboy" "blindfold".....not that i even wrote that i dont support every decision of them and so on....but yes.... criticism is something hard to deal with sometimes.  Further trolling of you wont get any attention by me. I did share some reality facts from work perspective, something you maybe should try out sometimes, too. 🙄 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 11:38 AM, Kurosu said:

Destiny 2>Bungie is considering moving on without Blizzard.

Umm... You do know that Destiny 2 & Bungie have NOTHING to do with Blizzard or Blizzard studios right? Destiny 2 was published by Activision. NOT by Blizzard. Blizzard doesn't publish anything other then their own studio's games. Destiny 2 was deemed by Activision to be put on the b.net launcher. To try to bring more eyes onto the game from Blizzard games players. As well as the possibility of bringing some of the Destiny 2 playerbase over to play some of the Blizzard games. Since in the overall scheme it would bring more money into the overall company since Blizzard is a part of the company as a whole.

 So hence why it's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about and are simply spouting fear mongering rhetoric. 

On 4/23/2019 at 1:47 PM, Baharok said:

Starcraft > abandoned . Hots> abandoned. Diablo> do you have a phone mate?

So are you talking about Starcraft one? Cause that would be just silly to say about the previous game. So I'm gonna assume you're talking about SC2. So with that in mind. I guess you don't know that SC2 has tournaments going on for it all the time. Most of the big ones are in South Korea where it's HUGE.

Also quick question... can a game count as 'abandoned' if it still has content released for it on a regular basis other then just balance patches? Cause if it can then explain to me what an 'Abandoned game' is please? Preferably with examples from something other then Blizzard games. Since that was your previous 'examples'. 

And side note, are you saying something having a mobile version is equal to the non-mobile version(s) being abandoned or going completely downhill?? Or that nothing else about that franchise or series is ever going to be anything other then a mobile venture from then on??  o_O?

Edited by CyberDVonaven
My second quote should have been quoted by Kurosu as well from the same post as the first quote I pulled. I accidentally pulled it from the comment by Baharok quoting it below the original post. Sorry about that Baharok.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CyberDVonaven said:

And side note, are you saying

Can you please consider to edit your quotes ? It wasnt "said" by me, it was a quote in my comment you quoted. I didnt wrote that, so first check the quotes / your comment and edit it. Thanks. (The original comment was by Kurosu as well 😉 )

 

I see it as you, if they abandoned something, it would be terrible, because the game wouldnt get any releases, they would just minimize the capacities of server and so on imo.

Edited by Baharok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Baharok said:

Whatever is all i can say to that. Changing words to your favour.... at this point im out here. "fanboy" "blindfold".....not that i even wrote that i dont support every decision of them and so on....but yes.... criticism is something hard to deal with sometimes.  Further trolling of you wont get any attention by me. I did share some reality facts from work perspective, something you maybe should try out sometimes, too. 🙄 😉

See thats the funny thing with people like you.  Whoever said I want any attention from you ? You are a just a random anonymous person on the net. You have your views on the matter and I have mine. 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, Baharok said:

Can you please consider to edit your quotes ? It wasnt "said" by me,

Opps, sorry about that Baharok!  I meant to pull that part of the quote from the original post too. I'll go back and edit fix that if I can figure out how to.

Edited by CyberDVonaven
It doesn't seem to allow for adding a new quote to a previously posted comment. Or at least I can't figure out how to do it if it does.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CyberDVonaven said:

Opps, sorry about that Baharok!  I meant to pull that part of the quote from the original post too. I'll go back and edit fix that if I can figure out how to.

Nevermind then. Any interested reader can / will figure that out after the comments as well. At least i hope so....anyway thanks for trying and replying to it. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Stan
      Republican Senator Josh Howley has proposed a ban on loot boxes and pay-to-win microtransactions in titles for minors, claiming they are preying on user addiction and exploiting children.
      The Chinese government has restricted the number of loot boxes players can open each day and the government of Belgium said they were in violation of its gambling laws, according to BBC.
      Numerous countries including Australia, Denmark, Germany, and the UK had determined that loot boxes had nothing to do with gambling.
      On the other side of the spectrum, there's a chance loot boxes will be ruled illegal in the US in titles popular with minors.
      Republican Senator Howley said of his proposed Protecting Children from Abusive Games Bill:
      As a prime example, Howley singled out King's Candy Crush, where players can purchase a $149 bundle that comes with 1,000 units of its in-game currency.
      The problem, however, does not only affect Candy Crush. The issue of loot boxes first came into light with Battlefront 2. Currently, a large portion of popular games, including Overwatch, PUBG, and Rocket League, all encourage microtransactions.
      The bill first needs to pass the Senate and the House of Representatives, before potentially becoming a law, says Gamespot.
      (Source)
      Protecting Children from Abusive Games Bill

    • By Starym
      The amazing art of Blizzard games we all know and love is getting the fine art treatment, as Dutch online art dealership Cook and Becker has added three Blizzard franchises to their growing videogame collection. Said collection already consists of over 60 titles including Bloodborne, Cyberpunk 2077, Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Fallout, Uncharted and many more.
      World of Warcraft already has a collection available and Diablo and StarCraft will be following soon:

        


      About Cook and Becker:

      So, for those fine art collectors among you, you may want to look in to one of these, but they will set you back a bit, with all of the pieces going for $100+.

    • By Stan
      Results for the Q1 2019 Activison Blizzard Earnings Call are here and Blizzard is down to 32 million monthly active users (MAUs), since Q4 2018 when they announced layoffs and got rid of 8% of their non-development employees.
      Highlights
      Activision Blizzard Activision Blizzard delivered approximately $800 million of in-game net bookings in Q1 2019. For each of Activision, Blizzard and King, daily time spent per user playing their games increased Y/Y. For Activision Blizzard overall, average daily time spent per user was approximately 50 minutes. Blizzard Blizzard had 32 million MAUs in this quarter (down from 35 million MAUs in Q4 2018 and 37 million MAUs in Q3 2018). Segment revenues were in-line with expectations. ($344million) Segement operating margin of 16% ($55 million) was lower Y/Y due to decline in segment in-game revenues, partially offset by lower costs. Overwatch League The second season of the Overwatch League commenced in February to sell-out crownds at the Blizzard Arena. Viewership hours are over 30% higher than in the first season. Dallas Fuel hosted the league's first home games in front of a sell-out crown of thousands of fans. They have four key areas of focus include which include: Major Content Releases: "We are focused on delivering a strong cadence of major content releases, where we meet the growing demand of the industry's gaming communities and release our high-quality content more frequently." Live Operations: "We continue to grow our live operations capabilities, to deliver great content, services, features, and events that continuously engage our communities and drive in-game revenues." Franchise Expansion onto Mobile: "We are building on our existing mobile leadership as we extend our acclaimed console and PC franchises to the largest and fastest-growing gaming platform." New Engagement Models: "We are expanding the reach, engagement and our monetization of our francihses as we build on early success in esports, in-game advertising, and consumer initiatives." Presentation

      (Source)
    • By Stan
      Blizzard won't be attending Gamescom in Cologne this year to focus on game development. Attendees will still be able to buy Blizzard gear in the shop area and the company is looking forward to returning to the event in the future.
      Blizzard (Source)
      As part of a renewed effort this year to maintain our focus on development, for our current games and our future projects, we won’t have a booth at gamescom 2019. The show is an important one for the European and global gaming community, and we’re going to miss meeting players in Cologne this year. You’ll still be able to find Blizzard gear in the gamescom 2019 shop area, and we’re looking forward to returning to the gamescom show floor in the future. We’re also looking forward to sharing more details about the projects we’re currently working on when the time is right.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about Episode 40 of our Podcast.
×
×
  • Create New...