FORUMS
Stan

Lessons Learned from the Diablo Immortal Reveal

YYM2hFl.jpg

IGN conducted an interview with Blizzard President J. Allen Brack about lessons learned from the Diablo Immortal reveal.

The reveal of Diablo Immortal at last year's BlizzCon sparked discontent within the PC community. Allen Adham later confirmed that Blizzard was developing mobile titles for all their IPs. While Diablo 4 has been reportedly in development since 2016, Blizzard isn't planning to release any major titles this year aside from Classic and Warcraft III Reforged.

J. Allen Brack talked to IGN about the Diablo Immortal reveal, mainly how Blizzard failed to articulate that they were a PC gaming company and weren't shifting away from PC. They brought many titles to console and Diablo III to Switch. Mobile is a really popular platform and they just want to expand and deliver Blizzard-quality games to it.

"A huge number of lessons. I think that one of the things that we failed to do was to really help articulate that we are a PC gaming company and that we’re going to continue to be a PC gaming company."

"We started our journey in ye-olden times as a console company, and then we migrated to PC,” said Brack. "And in the last few years, we’ve moved Diablo 3 to console, we’ve moved Overwatch to console, we’ve moved Diablo 3 to Switch. And those have been good things, that I think a lot of people have resonated with. But fundamentally our roots are PC, a strong PC game company, and that’s not going to change.

"I think there’s a tendency to hear, or we didn’t do a good job of articulating ‘look this Diablo Immortal is a neat thing that we think we can do.’ Or we think that we can bring some of our franchises to the mobile platform and have them be cool, good, Blizzard-quality experiences."

J. Allen Brack

Diablo Immortal's release date still remains unknown, even though the game is ready from a co-developer perspective, according to NetEase.

Check out the full IGN interview here.

• Thanks 1

That is total BS

You just have to look at ActiBli Q1-2019 numbers: They are doing money mostly with King (Candy Crush) and micro transactions. This year they will release no new title, just remakes of old ones (WC3, CoD: MF). No risk and easy money.

Ok, that's a business strategy, but don't expect the fan base not to see that you are fooling them

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I hope to see more good and successful full price PC games from Blizzard in the future.

PC rarely gets any full price games because of all the cheap bundles and key sales. Instead we get free-to-play Multiplayer games with ingame shops. Publishers of Assassins Creed and Resident Evil even wait months before making a PC release because of that.

It is an issue that made me go and play more console games like God Of War or Zelda BotW. Not to mention that graphics and power became more irrelevant. We may mock kids for playing console and mobile only these days, but they are not exposed to the Game Of Thrones Browser Game desaster.

Blizzard has not fully reached the current age of gaming yet. They still do great stuff but their fans have high expectations. I give them best wishes for the next years. Maybe we get something groundbreaking on PC again. Maybe even a new franchise which kicks off 20 years of PC history.

Edited by Alkasar

So it still seems that they haven't actually learned the lesson they should have. It wasn't about Blizz moving to mobile. It wasn't about Blizz catering to console players.

It's about the fact that Diablo 3 hasn't seen a real content update for years, and yet they wasted development resources on what's basically an asian mobile game instead of Diablo 3/Diablo 4 - And then they come in and say "Hey, we had these things developed, but decided to scrap it all for mobile, cuz cashgrab"

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Frogspoison said:

So it still seems that they haven't actually learned the lesson they should have. It wasn't about Blizz moving to mobile. It wasn't about Blizz catering to console players.

It's about the fact that Diablo 3 hasn't seen a real content update for years, and yet they wasted development resources on what's basically an asian mobile game instead of Diablo 3/Diablo 4 - And then they come in and say "Hey, we had these things developed, but decided to scrap it all for mobile, cuz cashgrab"

They didn't waste much resources when they signed with NetEase. All of their games are the same cookie cutter models just with different titles. Expect a very small playing field that will bore you quickly but they hope that by bombarding you with all kinds of cool *filtered* to buy with cash will blind you to the fact that the game pretty much sucks.

• Like 1

Share price still below $50. Couldn't get it back above since January. Brack is getting desperate.

Shareholders: 'Allen!!! SAY SOMETHING!!!'
Allen Brack: 'Something'

Maybe dont announce a phone game to a audience composed of hard core PC game fans even more to one that was expecting an announcement for there favorite PC game ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Antimagic said:

Maybe dont announce a phone game to a audience composed of hard core PC game fans even more to one that was expecting an announcement for there favorite PC game ?

but don't you have a phone?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

To be honest i wasn't playing any mobile games and i hate them
But due to some RL issue, now i am playing some games. So i want some Blizzard's games for mobile.
Let's just see what they can create.

• Like 1

They did things the best way they could and they know it. They specifically warned not to expect d4 this blizzcon. Immortal is still the next best mobile game of all time and it's the best they could offer at this year for diablo. Community is really mean and lacks sympathy to understand how developers think why they make decisions the way they do. In stead of being cry babies you should offer them as much support and money as you can before the next greatest game by Blizzard is released.

Every other AA/AAA gaming company has at least one mobile game but this community is the only one to make so much noise over it. You people aren't acting like true fans blizzard expected you to be. Now this interview doesn't even make sense it was just a weak attempt to somehow get back some trust from an unreasonable community. You can't reason with the unreasonable, Blizzard ❤️

Edited by Enryu
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, K1ngMrglMrgl said:

To be honest i wasn't playing any mobile games and i hate them
But due to some RL issue, now i am playing some games. So i want some Blizzard's games for mobile.
Let's just see what they can create.

I am pleasantly surprised to see a normal Horde fan.  Way to go. You can be assured that they wouldn't make the game that wouldn't be the best you can get for phone. It will have "Blizzard Entertainment" in it after all

Edited by Enryu

24 minutes ago, Enryu said:

They did things the best way they could and they know it. They specifically warned not to expect d4 this blizzcon. Immortal is still the next best mobile game of all time and it's the best they could offer at this year for diablo. Community is really mean and lacks sympathy to understand how developers think why they make decisions the way they do. In stead of being cry babies you should offer them as much support and money as you can before the next greatest game by Blizzard is released.

Every other AA/AAA gaming company has at least one mobile game but this community is the only one to make so much noise over it. You people aren't acting like true fans blizzard expected you to be. Now this interview doesn't even make sense it was just a weak attempt to somehow get back some trust from an unreasonable community. You can't reason with the unreasonable, Blizzard ❤️

rofl, great job!

That was extremly funny, thank you for the good laugh in the morning 🙂

Sarcasm + irony at its best!

• Like 1

Maybe it's me, but, do you know that feeling, when reading official blizz statements/posts, of being impressed (read:irritated) by how easily the hypocrisy level exceeds 9000? (。◝‿◜。)

EDIT: Even PC is shifting away from PC. Do they really think that ppl are that dumb. Still trying to sell us this notion of PC vs mobile. Hello, it's not about the platform, it's about you Blizzard, trying to sell Diablo Immoral as a Blizzard game, when it obviously is not a Blizzard game. 🐵#$🌵%🐴&!🤬

Edited by pwnz0r

2 hours ago, Enryu said:

You people aren't acting like true fans blizzard expected you to be.

We're true fans of the game because of the game, not because of the company. A true fan of anything should be able to have the capacity to acknowledge the flaws of that something that which they're a fan of.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:38 AM, Trepide said:

That is total BS

You just have to look at ActiBli Q1-2019 numbers: They are doing money mostly with King (Candy Crush) and micro transactions. This year they will release no new title, just remakes of old ones (WC3, CoD: MF). No risk and easy money.

WC3 is not a remake and they are doing the right thing by remastering it for the modern age, just like they did with Starcraft.

CoD: MF is basically a sequel that is rebooting the name.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Enryu said:

17 hours ago, Enryu said:

I am pleasantly surprised to see a normal Horde fan.  Way to go. You can be assured that they wouldn't make the game that wouldn't be the best you can get for phone. It will have "Blizzard Entertainment" in it after all

Spoken like a loyal NetEase or Activision employee still trying to put out the brush fire they started 🙂 NIce try but most are not gonna buy it, literally 😎

On 6/2/2019 at 4:07 PM, Antimagic said:

If they were indeed expecting such an announcement, they clearly weren't paying a hell of a lot of attention when Blizz said point blank "we're not announcing Diablo IV"

You folks don't have to go along with the company, but damn, have a little sense before spouting off some nonsense.

• Like 1

Alright so i think a lot of here are being way to sentimental about this. I've been playing blizzard games since I was fourteen no bragging rights here but its to prove a point. If you saw the video on how many fans reacted to "Diablo Immortal" being announced and what not you have to put into consideration.... how the majority of people feel about it.

If you want to skip past the blah blah blah go to about a minute and pay attention to the crowd if you do watch it entirely. Its pretty hilarious.

Edited by Varrick

I love all the posts about omg omg omg no we don't want you to use your money the way that you want to.... SHUT THE F UP. It's their money... leave them to it.. if they screw themselves... so be it.. We are all very tired of watching all these people with 10 cents in their pocket giving advice to billionaires. I am sure they got it handled homies.

• Like 1