FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kindablu3

Classic expectations

If you're like me, you probably missed out on classic when it was relevant content and didn't want to bother with private servers as you could easily lose your progress on a whim and that essentially it's breaking the EULA. With all the hype surrounding this version of the game what are your expectations from it?

From what I gathered so far, by watching several hours of youtubers covering the topic and reading articles on a variety of sites, the first thing that intrigued me the most is the class identity. Every class being important and covering their own niche sounds pretty great and I might just dive in head first and go with a warrior tank. Which also leads into threat mechanics and tactical pulling, as opposed to rushing mobs and aoe'ing down trash(which I also find fun, truth be told).

Definitely looking forward to this and it's very true, yeah. Classes have very specific niches and roles and, while it can suck if you want to be a (for example) Shadow Priest main, then you're not going to have a great time, it's pretty cool.

With CC being so important in dungeons and the like, it feels great being a Rogue and having that reliance on your Sap, for example, or your Poly as Mage.

Definitely. Yet I suppose specs like Shadow can have their spotlight in PvP content. Which begs the question, will BG's be available straight away or are we going to have some Tarren Mill/Southshore action before we are allowed our instanced battles.

I want to point out that Vanilla wasn't the only time players had to rely on their CC skill to survive 5 man content. Even Cataclysm had some notorius trash composition that demanded it. As time went on, high ilvl raid gear reduced or completely removed that tension, making way to insane AOE pulls and speedrunfest. 

And while there were tier sets for only 1 role, that does not meant there were only 1 way to go in Pve. The prime example of this are fury warriors. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, Blainie said:

Definitely looking forward to this and it's very true, yeah. Classes have very specific niches and roles and, while it can suck if you want to be a (for example) Shadow Priest main, then you're not going to have a great time, it's pretty cool.

With CC being so important in dungeons and the like, it feels great being a Rogue and having that reliance on your Sap, for example, or your Poly as Mage.

Shadowpriests were a nono in our progressing raids. Once on farm they could be brought. That's one of the benefits of a 40 man raid. 5-man dungeons they had a place.

Priest had shackle for Undead ? and in Naxx40 priests had to mindcontrol during a bossfight, pretty cool too.

While this is true, there are more reasons why people like me can't wait to dive in (again) in vanilla. Some people call it "deeper immersion" than retail WoW. And that is a good point. While its more time consuming, it's also a slower way to play it. You simple can't just rush through mobs while lvling. You have to read quest-descriptions and find your way. To be said: not everything is better in classic than in retail - but it's more personal. You will recognize other players, because you interactions is higher - even if someone call you an *filtered* because snipping mobs or ressources ? .

An other point: It was not that a DPS-Race than it is today (at least it's not how i feel about it). It's more managing ressources and use them in a right manner.

I'm really excited ?

Also great that cross-server play will not be a huge thing in classic and, for once, you might actually recognize your pug people instead of only recognizing your guild!

On 6/12/2019 at 10:38 PM, Seksi said:

Also great that cross-server play will not be a huge thing in classic and, for once, you might actually recognize your pug people instead of only recognizing your guild!

You don't have to pretend - we know you're talking about recognizing the memers in /2 and /1

In addition to the endgame content, I really look forward to the intricacies of each profession.  I plan to level a few alts just so that I can max out every profession.  I enjoy how unique all the professions are and their ability to turn a profit.  Taking materials and making something that others value, that's an entire mini-game inside WoW!  I especially like the crafting professions but I've spent plenty of hours just zoned out gathering as well.  It can be a nice addition to the leveling experience or quite soothing itself.

I really wish I had translated the skills I learned making gold into the real world but I figure it's better late than never!  I'm finally starting to do that so it'll be nice to revisit the game that inspired me all those years ago.

Edited by ClassicRaids

Do not be afraid to try weird/"non optimized" specs. Too many people seem to forget how faceroll the raiding content is up to AQ. If you are a progression raider (rip your social life) you already know that everything is going to be min maxed. But if you are not planning on hitting world firsts, just have fun. MC can essentially be done with most of the players screwing around as long as you have a few semi competent tanks/heals. 

On 8/23/2019 at 1:24 PM, Avin said:

Do not be afraid to try weird/"non optimized" specs. Too many people seem to forget how faceroll the raiding content is up to AQ. If you are a progression raider (rip your social life) you already know that everything is going to be min maxed. But if you are not planning on hitting world firsts, just have fun. MC can essentially be done with most of the players screwing around as long as you have a few semi competent tanks/heals. 

My speciality is unconventional specs and pushing it to their limits, if you want to ever know more about them, let me know!

Uncommon Patron

I play one game only by choice, WoW Classic. I quit BfA due primarily to what blizziod did by elevating/making concessions to the "freeloader gamers" and, destroying level 19 BG's. I will never consider returning to retail WoW as long as the "freeloader group" is active. Thus far in Classic WoW, I'm am pleased w/ what I see. I started playing WoW in early BC days and was okay with the game changes over time until Cataclysm. Destroying/scarring the landscape as was the trademark of "Cataclysm" to me started a different trend in the game. I eventually lost interest in "PVE WoW" over the years because I found it boring, tedious, and relied heavily on "grouping". I have a limited amount of time to play WoW and I don't waste that time "sucking-up" to "gamer mentals" who I find trite and a bore. So, I decided to become a solo player w/ my own guilds and totally self-sufficient and was pleased with my results.

Going forward, I am hoping blizziod realizes and does not make some of the same mistakes it made in the first go around. I strongly feel the root cause of many problems in retail WoW started when blizziod tried to meld PVE and PVP. From my perspective, this creates game problems that will not go away. Blizziod, don't screw it up!