FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Mike Morhaime Gamelab Interviews

pSO5PzO.jpg

Ex-Blizzard President Mike Morhaime talked to multiple sites about why 50% of Blizzard's projects do not get to see the light of day, why Heroes of the Storm failed, and more.

Mike Morhaime recently talked at Gamelab in Barcelona on a variety of topics.

VG247 asked him why he thought Heroes of the Storm had failed. Morhaime said he thinks it's a great game, but they didn't pursue Dota early enough, because they were all focusing on World of Warcraft.

“But the community was doing a great job supporting it and we didn’t want to disrupt that,” Morhaime continued. “And frankly we had our hands full trying to support the growth of World of Warcraft. We felt like focusing on Warcraft was the right call at the time. In retrospect – boy, if I could go back in time and say, ‘You know what? Why don’t we have a small team that’s focused on doing something with Dota? Or why don’t we include Dota with the launch of StarCraft 2 and have a mode or something?’ I’d love to try doing that a little bit earlier. I think Heroes was probably too late.”

Mike Morhaime

Click here to read the full interview.

Eurogamer also had the chance to talk to the Ex-President of Blizzard and found out that:

• Morhaime left Blizzard to spend more time with his family.
  • Approximately 50% of the games developed by Blizzard will never ship, because the company is known for its renowned quality. 

"I've gone back every few years and checked the math on that, and it's pretty consistent," Morhaime said today. "It's like half the titles we work on never make it."

"There's a saying that 'perfect is the enemy of great', because if you strive for perfection you'll never ship. But I do think that there's so much competition out there,"

Mike Morhaime

• Blizzard's canceled Titan was a follow-up to World of Warcraft, but they failed to control the scope. It was an ambitious next-gen MMO, but Blizzard struggled to wrangle Titan's engine into a workable enough state, so they made Overwatch out of it.

"The pitch was basically an evolution of a sort of Team Fortress-style game in a superhero universe,"

"It was going to leverage some of our best technology from Titan and World of Warcraft. We were going to take some characters and worlds from the Titan universe design.

"We thought we could make a really compelling game with much tighter scope control. And I think it was probably one of the best decisions that we made. We took something that wasn't going to ship for a very long time, might never have shipped, and turned it into an awesome game."

Mike Morhaime

Other discussed subjects include Diablo III's RMAH, and Diablo: Immortal. You can read the full interview at Eurogamer.

• Thanks 1

Heroes of the Storm was never supposed to be a standalone game. Blizzard originally planned it as a custom game for Starcraft 2. I wonder if Morhaime forgot about that.

HotS just became its own game because the community supported the "Blizzard DotA" minigame idea. It still came further than it was ever supposed to be. So in that case it did not really fail. They just pushed this idea too far with expensive tournaments and and too many development goals.

Resources that could have been spend on their main projects.

Edited by Alkasar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alkasar said:

HotS just became its own game because the community supported the "Blizzard DotA" minigame idea. It still came further than it was ever supposed to be. So in that case it did not really fail. They just pushed this idea too far with expensive tournaments and and too many development goals.

Indeed, they have invested too much into e-sports as they wanted every of their current games to become an e-sport. It was forced, instead of allowing a rather small scene to grow organically. This is rather worrying about Overwatch too, where there is also a heavy push for e-sport, way too much (imo) invested into it, again forced through heavy marketing, instead of letting people organise it themselves with maybe some smaller financial support. Many casuals are leaving that game as well. I can see OWL running for like 1 or 2 years more, but after that? I'm not sure.

Another thing was that HotS initially scared away many casual players (which was a targeted audience at the beginning), there were no skins for f2p players to unlock, long grind to get heroes (when DotA 2 had heroes for free). I still remember how people who tried HotS with me (things like Oni Genji OW challenge) left early, because "29,99 unicorn" and other stuff locked behind paywall. It seems they had overestimated how much value their trademarks had to players unfamiliar with Blizzard characters. For many, playing classic heroes was what had drawn them into the game, but for others (on top of nothing cosmetic available for f2p player) it did nothing. It was rather bizarre watching people claim characters like Kael etc., were cloned from other mobas.

Edited by Arcling

For OWL to pay back properly it will have to go on way longer than that, so lets hope it doesn't go out that fast, for the game (and Blizzard's reputation with everyone who bought teams) sake.

I think a lot of new life, and even quite a bit of what Titan was all about, as a MMO, can be injected into Overwatch if they make compelling PvE content for it...in the style that Destiny 2 and WoW itself are well known for. Can't wait for developments in that side of things :) especially now that Destiny 2 is abandoning Battle.net (rip WoW Tokens).

On 6/30/2019 at 3:11 AM, Stan said:

Blizzard's canceled Titan was a follow-up to World of Warcraft, but they failed to control the scope. It was an ambitious next-gen MMO, but Blizzard struggled to wrangle Titan's engine into a workable enough state, so they made Overwatch out of it.

well if it was going to be anything like Overwatch, Im glad they kept up WoW instead.  100%.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arcling said:

For many, playing classic heroes was what had drawn them into the game,

Thats actually what drew me in, and continues to make me pick up the matches a few times a month, just kill a couple daily quests and call it a day.  

Kinda sucks to see them say the game "failed" and that they "stopped supporting" it, neither of which is technically true even if it did turn out to be something of a disappointment for the studio. It does little more than fuel the fire for internet poo stains.

21 hours ago, Arcling said:

Indeed, they have invested too much into e-sports as they wanted every of their current games to become an e-sport.

I never understood why HotS should be an e-sport game.  It is the opposite and everybody who had just the slightest idea about Esport HAD to know, that HotS would have no chance against Dota or LOL.

HotS is just a noob-friendly game that you could play casually. That sounds why worse then it is.

I have played Dota for a long time and have thousands of games, but I got tired of it after a few years.
I played HotS for some time with a few friends - never close to the number of Dota, just a few casual games.

And that's a good thing. If you want a highly competetive game, where a more skilled opponent will *filtered* you hard - you can play LoL or Dota.
But if you want just a more casual game? Then Dota + LoL are horrible for you. If a teammate plays badly and feeds the enemy you can forfeit the game fast.

If you are worse then your opponent you get outleveled, outskilled and outgeared - and a higher opponent with more gold (better items) and more skill? The game snowballs out of control fast. He kills you one or two times, he last hits creeps and he denies -> after a few minutes the game is effectively over.

In HotS there is no gold -> Being better won't result in having better items and better stats.

Outleveling is way slower, because of team-experience. There is no need for last hitting / denying.

All this is much more "noob-friendly" - and like I said, that's a good thing. Because the "hardcore" gamer can choose between LoL + Dota. (and that's why I played quite a few games with friends - we wouldn't have played Dota or Lol, becaus it would be much too stressfull.)

BUT: All this makes HotS the oppositite of what is attractive to e-sport. HotS HAD to fail as e-sport-title, there was no other outcome.

And everybdoy had to know that. Well, everybody except blizzard. No idea why, probably dellusions of grandeur.

1 hour ago, WedgeAntilles said:

All this is much more "noob-friendly" - and like I said, that's a good thing. Because the "hardcore" gamer can choose between LoL + Dota. (and that's why I played quite a few games with friends - we wouldn't have played Dota or Lol, becaus it would be much too stressfull.)

BUT: All this makes HotS the oppositite of what is attractive to e-sport. HotS HAD to fail as e-sport-title, there was no other outcome.

And everybdoy had to know that. Well, everybody except blizzard. No idea why, probably dellusions of grandeur.

That's why I like HotS, it's faster and I don't have to bother about things like last-hitting and so on. I know LoL and DotA players certainly hated these aspects of HotS, most of them also didn't like how you can't solo carry in this game. HotS is more team dependent, both teams might have potatoes, but the one with the worst potato is bound to lose and others don't have much control to change the outcome, which is especially annoying in ranked (that's why I stick to qm and it's fine).

They even didn't market this properly to casual playerbase, bad monetisation at launch etc. 

LoL is boring as fk. I don't understand how people can spend so much time just walking around at such a slow pace. It feels a lot like an RPG PvP zone to me from bigger MMOs. Haven't played Dota since the Warcraft 3 mod first came out where you could play as the cat lady or a troll so no clue about it as it currently is.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Blizzard had 32 million monthly active users in the first quarter of 2020. WoW's community increased further driven by both new and returning players. Shadowlands is still planned for 2020.
      Q1 2020 Highlights
      Blizzard had 32 million monthly active users in Q1 2020. Even though the majority of employees are currently working from home, there are no plans to change key content releases this year, meaning Shadowlands will still be released in 2020. They saw continued momentum for World of Warcraft during the first quarter of 2020. Hearthstone continues to perform well thanks to the Battlegrounds game mode that launched in November 2019. Overwatch engagement also increased in March whilst the Overwatch League sucessfully moved to online play and remote production.  You can find the full report here.
      (Source)
      COVID-19 Response
      At Activision Blizzard, our number one priority is the health and safety of our employees and their families. All of our offices moved to work-from-home environments by mid-March. We are covering all costs of testing and treatment for affected employees and their families, and we have increased access to tele-health resources and contracted private doctors and medical support in regions where our employees live and work. And we are continuing to find other ways to support our employees and their families as we navigate through this unprecedented situation, including services to help families balance work and home life.
      The digital nature of our content means our creative talent can continue to work on our product pipeline from home. While the shift to remote working adds complexity and challenges in some areas of the game development process, we are implementing mitigation measures to address these areas and, based on the work to date, we still expect to deliver a robust slate of content over the remainder of the year.
      We have leveraged our game platforms to disseminate critical health and safety information while offering in-game events and rewards to promote social distancing. We have made donations to world class health organizations and medical centers in cities where our employees live and work, funding promising convalescent blood therapies and drug trials. And we have made an additional contribution to our own Call of Duty Endowment to continue placing veterans into high-quality jobs.
      The increasingly digital, recurring and cash-generative nature of our operations remains one of our fundamental strengths. With a strong balance sheet, low capital intensity and a track record of disciplined capital allocation, we have substantial flexibility as we navigate through an uncertain environment.
      Selected Business Highlights
      Activision Blizzard exceeded its first-quarter outlook, driven primarily by our investment in creative and commercial initiatives for Call of Duty® delivering better-than-expected results throughout the quarter. We also saw continued momentum for World of Warcraft® and better-than-expected results for other key franchises, as populations sheltering at home turned to our content for entertainment and social connection. These trends have continued so far in the second quarter, with business momentum accelerating further in April. In the current environment, we are fortunate to still be in a position to enable some of the world’s best gaming experiences through our direct digital connection to hundreds of millions of people.
      Activision
      Activision had 102 million MAUsD in the first quarter. Call of Duty: Warzone launched on March 10, 2020 and has reached over 60 million players to date. Life-to-date, Modern Warfare has sold through more units and has more players than any prior Call of Duty title at this point after its release. In the first quarter, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare®unit sell-through was the highest for the franchise outside of a launch quarter. Following substantial year-over-year growth versus the prior title in January and February, unit sell-through accelerated in March, driven by upgrades from Warzone as well as rising demand amidst shelter-at-home conditions. Also in the first quarter, Modern Warfare in-game net bookingsC more than doubled year-over-year versus Black Ops 4. Call of Duty Mobile continued to build on last October’s breakout launch with new content, features and events aimed at optimizing engagement, retention and player investment. The game saw increased reach and engagement in March, driven by an increased cadence of compelling content and events as well as shelter-at-home tailwinds. Originally planned in a local city-based homestand format, the inaugural season of the professional Call of Duty LeagueTM pivoted all matches to online play and remote production for the remainder of the regular season, to keep players and fans safe while still delivering premium esports content to a global audience. Blizzard 
      Blizzard had 32 million MAUsD in the first quarter. After doubling in the second half of 2019, World of Warcraft’s active player community increased further in the first quarter, driven by both new and returning players, as the team continued to deliver more content between expansions than ever before. Each of Blizzard’s key franchises experienced a month-on-month increase in MAUsD in March as a result of shelter-at-home tailwinds. Hearthstone® engagement improved sequentially, driven by the new Battlegrounds game mode launched in November, and strong execution in live operations. Overwatch®engagement increased meaningfully in March and the Overwatch LeagueTM successfully moved to online play and remote production during the quarter. King
      King had 273 million MAUsD in the first quarter. MAUsD grew month-over-month in both January and February, and further accelerated in March as shelter-at-home conditions came into effect. Candy CrushTM franchise MAUsD grew year-over-year in each month of the quarter, with double-digit growth in March. Within the franchise, the community played more game rounds than in any quarter since Activision Blizzard’s acquisition of King. Candy Crush SagaTM and the wider Candy Crush franchise were once again the top-grossing title and franchise in the U.S. mobile app stores. Advertising net bookingsB grew over 75% year-over-year, even against the backdrop of the sudden decline in demand across the digital advertising sector in March. Company Outlook
      Our business exhibited accelerating momentum entering the second quarter from the dual tailwinds of strong execution in the Call of Duty franchise following last year’s increased investment, and increased engagement as people turned to our interactive content as they sheltered at home. The full extent of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our business, operations, and financial results will depend on numerous evolving factors that we are not able to fully predict at this time. While there are risks related to global economic weakness, rising unemployment, pressures on the retail channel, pricing and other potential factors, we also see many positive opportunities for our operating performance this year, including the potential for continued heightened engagement in our content well beyond the second quarter. We have aimed to be prudent in our guidance to account for these effects, and we believe there is potential for overperformance if these risks do not materialize.
      Regarding product development, the majority of our employees are currently working from home, which while adding complexity to some areas of the game development process, has not currently changed our plans for our key content releases this year.
      Since we provided our initial guidance in February, the strengthening dollar has resulted in an additional FX headwind to full year net bookings of approximately $100 million. Further, the strengthening dollar and lower interest income from the current interest rate environment represent an additional headwind to full-year GAAP and non-GAAP EPS of approximately $0.08 versus our prior outlook. Nonetheless, with strong momentum across the business we are raising our outlook for net revenues and EPS for the year, more than passing through the Q1 earnings outperformance despite these headwinds.
    • By Stan
      Last Thursday was Take Your Child to Work Day and Blizzard initially planned on hosting on-campus activities for Blizzard's parents and their kids, but due to COVID-19, they had to get creative and host it online, so they've come up with some epic art tutorials with Samwise Didier and storytelling by Chris Metzen.
      (Source)
      This past Thursday was Take Your Child to Work Day, and prior to COVID-19, we were planning a big day of fun and enriching on-campus activities for Blizzard’s parents and their kids. After the company shifted to work-from-home mode, we had to get creative.
      Thanks to the help of talented folks across the company, we were able to put together a cool virtual program aimed at giving Blizzard’s kids an entertaining and educational glimpse into what goes into our games. We’re thrilled to share some highlights with you!
      Art Tutorials with Samwise Didier
      Join veteran Blizzard artist Samwise Didier for some sketching tutorials centered on iconic Warcraft races.
      And for some extra credit, download this PDF guide to drawing your favorite characters from across the Blizzard multiverse!
      Story Time with Chris Metzen
      Blizzard alumnus Chris Metzen reads from his children’s book Snow Fight: A Warcraft Tale. A treat for kids (and adults!) regardless of age.
      From artists and game designers, to engineers, HR professionals, and more, folks from all across Blizzard shared lessons, lectures, and tutorials designed to provide kids with insights and skills that’ll equip them for a bright future. We hope you enjoyed this glimpse into some of our extracurricular Take Your Child to Work Day activities, and as always, stay happy, healthy, and safe!
    • By Starym
      This was an unexpected treat, as Benmonor surprised us with Diablo Respawned, a full and actual true remake of the Diablo 1 trailer! From its start you might assume it's just a remaster with improved graphics (which we've already seen), but we not only get new parts added to the original, but also an entirely new second half! It's even more impressive when you find out that the project took him 40 days to make and he did it all alone.
      Benmonor is an independent game developer at Forbidden Realms Studio and made this as a passion project, and it's really massively impressive. I particularly love the second part, with the shadowy Diablo lurking in the Cathedral, and the Tristram zoom-out at the end. We even get some "behind the scenes" stuff as well:

For more BTS images like the above, check out the reddit post.
      Check out this truly impressive D1 trailer remake with a ton of new stuff added.
    • By Starym
      The last few Upscale videos haven't been that impressive, as the newer things they upgraded were already pretty good to start with, and I assumed this one would be the same. But, as the video has plenty of footage from older games, it's very much worth taking a look at, especially the comparison in the second half. Also it's a pretty good video in general, so why not check it out again:

Other Upscaled Remasters
      MoP and WC3: Reforged Warcraft 3 E3 Trailer, Diablo 2 LoD Final Cinematic and Overwatch 2 Battle for Azeroth and Diablo 1 WoW Cataclysm and Starcraft: Ghost Diablo 3 Tyrael's Sacrifice Cinematic Burning Crusade Intro Wrath of the Lich King Intro Vanilla WoW Intro Diablo 2 Intro Diablo 2 E3 Teaser and Lord of Destruction Intro
    • By Starym
      After the recent re-emergence of the one day a year that's officially allowed to be funny and the official Blizzard patch notes that came with it, we wanted to go back and check out older editions of this now tradition. It turns out Blizzard actually has an archive for their April Fools posts, which is good news, but they also stopped updating it in 2015, which is bad news.
      In any case we poked around it for some fond memories and picked out some milestones, but you should definitely head on over and check it out yourselves as well. Unfortunately some of the entries there have broken links so we don't get to see all the content, but we do at least get a general idea of what it was and can search it elsewhere if it gets interesting.
      It seems the one Prince song may have been referring to Blizzard, as they started their April Fools shenanigans in 1999, with the original StarCraft and DIablo 2! And what a start it was, as it was the one that cemented the secret cow level as the most enduring joke of the Diablo franchise. You can read more about the exact origins of the cow level, but this April 1st screenshot of D2, while it was still being developed, reignited the fires of the cow level craze!

Now we did end up actually getting a cow level in Diablo 2, so I'm not quite sure this one counts as a "fool" anymore, since it's basically just normal promotion art (ok, so the cows don't show up in the Den of Evil, but they might have back then!). The other entry in this very first April Fools Blizzard edition was StarCraft's Biggest Game Hunters map, based on the very popular Big Game Hunters one from the original game, except with... a few... more crystals:

2002 was another of Blizzard's strangely predictive jokes, as they announced the Pandaren were coming to WarCraft 3, including their Shodo-pan warriors.

Then WoW arrived on the scene and we immediately got one of the better ones, with the 2-player controlled Ogre race (which would later become a pretty great hero in Heroes of the Storm... wait, are Blizzard just using April Fools jokes to test the waters for their really weird ideas that they'll eventually implement?!)

This next one is definitely one of my favorites, as Blizzard announced a brand new game set in the World of Warcraft universe, and it was a prequel to boot!

Wait, was that one actually just another pre-concept-testing for Reforged?! I'm so confused right now.
      Then came one of the most famous ones of all time, 2008's Bard announcement!

The same year had the impressive console off-shoot of WoW, the Molten Core:
      These following ones are really making me doubt these are jokes at all, as they're clearly just the shape of things to come, as 2010 saw the first whiff of Diablo: Immortal and the EPEEN system:

There are plenty more awesome entries in the archive, so head on over there and remind yourselves of some of the cooler things Blizzard have done over the years, and definitely post some of the better ones we missed below!