FORUMS
Stan

Activision Blizzard Q2 2019 Earnings Call

43256-activision-blizzard-q1-2019-earnin

The Q2 2019 Earnings Call was held on August 8 and Blizzard remains at 32 million monthly active users (MAUs). WoW subscribers increased since mid-May, following the release of WoW Classic Beta and Rise of Azshara.

Q2 2019 Earnings Call Highlights

• Hearthstone MAUs increased Q/Q following the release of the Rise of Shadows expansion and deeper, more engaging new single-player content in the quarter.
  • Overwatch MAUs were relatively stable Q/Q, with engagement increasing following the release of the Workshop.
  • World of Warcraft® subscribers increased since mid-May, following the release date announcement and beta for World of Warcraft Classic and the Rise of Azshara update.
  • At Blizzard, daily time spent per player increased Y/Y.
  • Overwatch League hours viewed continued to grow Y/Y in the two stages held during Q2. Season to date, viewership and average minute audience have grown double digits Y/Y.
  • Activision Blizzard delivered approximately $800M of in-game net bookings in Q2.
  • Revenues and operating income are down Y/Y, reflecting lower in-game revenues.
  • Operating margin fell Y/Y, with the revenue decline partially offset by lower costs.
  • They continue expanding their development teams and resources to accelerate the delivery of content in their pipeline, pursue business models, etc.

Slide Presentation

Q2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-001.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-002.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-003.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-004.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-005.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-006.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-007.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-008.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-009.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-010.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-011.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-012.jpgQ2 2019 ATVI Slides vF-page-013.jpg

(Source)

If I am not mistaken they didn't include Starcraft on the "games we are currently working on" list. Heroes of the Storm I was expecting, but Starcraft? It would be a shame if we didn't get any more work done with the franchise. I guess RTSs are too hard to monetize.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lChronosl said:

If I am not mistaken they didn't include Starcraft on the "games we are currently working on" list. Heroes of the Storm I was expecting, but Starcraft? It would be a shame if we didn't get any more work done with the franchise. I guess RTSs are too hard to monetize.

Yeah, seems there are now no plans for another Starcraft. They can still provide balance patches, these war chests for supporting e-sports prize pool and maybe a co-op commander (although it looks like there is now one per year, also they're running out of characters). HotS has been missing from their financial reports for a while. It's hard to get stable casual audience for RTS like SC2, as it is too fast and one mistake can often decide between victory and defeat. 

Edited by Arcling
    • Sad 1

5 hours ago, lChronosl said:

Sadly, RTS is in significant decline. A 4x would probably be more of whats in store for the future of SC (Especially considering how all the commanders play, allows for quite a bit of faction filling for a 4x)

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 5:28 PM, Frogspoison said:

Sadly, RTS is in significant decline. A 4x would probably be more of whats in store for the future of SC (Especially considering how all the commanders play, allows for quite a bit of faction filling for a 4x)

"RTS is in decline" really sounds to me like "Horror games are dead" did back in the early 2010s. They're in decline because there hasn't been a major, big-budget RTS release since... what, grey goo? Planetary Annihilation? Do either of those count? I don't think they meet the 'big budget' standard that Starcraft 2 did. Command and conquer rivals could be argued, but I'm not even sure I'd lump that in with traditional RTS games. The mere fact that SC 2 is still king of the RTS is partially because it's so good and so pro-oriented, and partially because no one has even tried for the throne.

On 8/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, LostDeep said:

"RTS is in decline" really sounds to me like "Horror games are dead" did back in the early 2010s. They're in decline because there hasn't been a major, big-budget RTS release since... what, grey goo? Planetary Annihilation? Do either of those count? I don't think they meet the 'big budget' standard that Starcraft 2 did. Command and conquer rivals could be argued, but I'm not even sure I'd lump that in with traditional RTS games. The mere fact that SC 2 is still king of the RTS is partially because it's so good and so pro-oriented, and partially because no one has even tried for the throne.

The problem with real-time strategy is that because it's real time, you never have the time to properly think through your decisions, or else you'll fall behind on your macro-management. You never get a chance to take a step back and assess the situation, which turns off a lot of people who enjoy strategy games. Meanwhile, there's so much multitasking to do and so much information to keep track of that your traditional fast-reflex FPS fans (i.e. the types of people who play CS:GO and Overwatch) are turned off as well.

From my point of view, an RTS like Starcraft is kinda the worst of both worlds between action games and strategy games; too much information to keep track of, not enough time to process any of it. I think it'll always be a niche genre, especially in multiplayer.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:06 PM, Monlyth said:

The problem with real-time strategy is that because it's real time, you never have the time to properly think through your decisions, or else you'll fall behind on your macro-management. You never get a chance to take a step back and assess the situation, which turns off a lot of people who enjoy strategy games. Meanwhile, there's so much multitasking to do and so much information to keep track of that your traditional fast-reflex FPS fans (i.e. the types of people who play CS:GO and Overwatch) are turned off as well.

From my point of view, an RTS like Starcraft is kinda the worst of both worlds between action games and strategy games; too much information to keep track of, not enough time to process any of it. I think it'll always be a niche genre, especially in multiplayer.

I can see that, but it's still not as if anyone's really taken big swings at the genre. It's got flaws, by all means, but it still has an appeal and there hasn't been many people trying. I'm hopeful for the upcoming Iron Harvest, though as a Kickstarter game that's very much on a dangerous edge. I do think the 'golden age' for multiplayer RTS is done, but there's still plenty of market for single-player experiences. Market that's surprisingly untapped at times, with everyone and their dog trying to make Battle Royale or E-Sports games.

9 hours ago, LostDeep said:

I can see that, but it's still not as if anyone's really taken big swings at the genre. It's got flaws, by all means, but it still has an appeal and there hasn't been many people trying. I'm hopeful for the upcoming Iron Harvest, though as a Kickstarter game that's very much on a dangerous edge. I do think the 'golden age' for multiplayer RTS is done, but there's still plenty of market for single-player experiences. Market that's surprisingly untapped at times, with everyone and their dog trying to make Battle Royale or E-Sports games.

I think that if Real-time strategy is going to make a comeback, it needs to get out of the shadow of Starcraft. It's a great series, to be sure, but the formula still has a lot of room for improvement. Like the multitasking; when there's so much multitasking that even the best players in the world frequently struggle to keep up with everything, there's a serious problem. Real-time strategy should acknowledge the limits of the human body, and the human brain.

And I think real-time strategy needs to emphasize the strategy part of it more.  I think there needs to be more emphasis on out-thinking your opponent, instead of just having a better APM and by extension, better macro and better micro. If my chosen strategy is a great counter to my opponent's strat and I can predict almost every move he makes, but he can still easily beat me with "brute force" by just building more stuff than me or running circles around me with micro-heavy units, I think that's a little problematic.

Specifically, I'd like to see an RTS that also puts emphasis on pre-battle preparations, like the SC2 campaign. Choosing upgrades for your units before the battle starts. I think that'd make an interesting game, if difficult to balance.

Edited by Monlyth
    • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
        There have been many high-profile departures from Blizzard over the past years, with a couple happening just in the past month or so, and talk surrounding them and Blizzard's decline/change/fate have also been increasing consistently. This lead to IGN's Kat Bailey putting together a special report focusing on all of the departures and the current situation at Blizzard, talking to various developers both still working at the company and that have left it, to get a clear picture. The piece is very in-depth and takes a broader look at what's been happening, outside of the regularly heard doom and gloom attributed to the recent departures. We'll get into some of the highlights of the article, but if you're even a little interested in the topic you should absolutely take some time and read the full article over on IGN.
        Using the most recent Blizzard departure, Jeff Kaplan, as a starting point, Bailey dives into the topic with both anonymous developers still working at Blizzard and on the record game directors that worked at the company for over 10 years. The reasons for some of the departures vary greatly, from simple fatigue from working on a single game/franchise for a long time, to big opportunities in the market today and, yes, those that left because they felt Blizzard was/has been declining for a while now.
        Here are the big topics covered in the very in-depth article, each affecting the current situation and departures:
        The dry period after the success of Overwatch and Hearthstone and following renaissance. 2018 BlizzCon as a (bad) turning point. Lowered developer profit-sharing as there are no new releases. The loss of many millions of monthly active users. The "incubation projects" that were supposed to come up with new ideas had 2 games cancelled and none announced so far. High profile developers leaving to found their own indie studios (Second Dinner, Frost Giant,  Lightforge Games, Secret Door, Moonshot) or just other projects like Metzen's Warchief Gaming. Big influx of venture capital and the major increase in game-related venture funds impacted the creation of the above studios. The ease of poaching developers from Blizzard/them leaving has increased significantly because of a presumed "decline" narrative.
          Bigger focus on controlling spending after Mike Morhaime's departure, including layoffs. Blizzard are still very much defending "editorial independence" and separating their developers from financial talk, a "firewall" is there to preserve the development culture. Support service and esports under bigger pressure with less funding, as a result of Blizzard Human Resources getting consolidated into Activision's. Developers sometimes have to chip in on the support and esports side, helping with events and even writing patch notes. Better times are ahead with Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 launcher, but Diablo Immortal has the potential to be even bigger, possibly rivaling Call of Duty Mobile.

The article goes into MUCH more detail on each point above and many more beside them, and it's pretty much a must-read for anyone interested in the goings on at Blizzard in the past years, so head on over to IGN and give it a read!
      • By Staff
        Here's a new entry to the "From the Vault" line of Blizzard Store products, with the Overwatch anniversary taking over!
        From the Vault (source)
        As Blizzard celebrates an epic 30 years, we will be releasing limited-series goodies each remaining month of 2021. In May, we are celebrating the Overwatch 2021 anniversary. Check the Blizzard Gear Store every second Thursday of the month—you never know who (or what) we will be celebrating next!
        Release 2 of 8 –
        the Overwatch Anniversary 2021 Collection

Overwatch Original Sketch Concept Art Print 8" x 10" - Limited Release
        D.Va 18" IncrediBuilds Colllectible Wood Model
        and more!
        Head to the Blizzard Gear Store to check out the rest of the Overwatch 2021 Anniversary Collection, and we’ll see you next month when we will reveal what we’re pulling from the vault next. 
      • By Staff
        Blizzard held its first earnings call of 2021 yesterday and here are the highlights.
        Activision Blizzard significantly exceeded its prior outlook for the first quarter, delivering very strong growth across their largest franchises.  The company wants to hire more than 2,000 developers over the next 2 years, including tripling the size of certain franchise teams by the end of next year as compared to 2019. The Warcraft franchise maintained its strong momentum, while Blizzard's team continued to make good progress on a rich pipeline and extending key franchises to mobile. Blizzard had 27 million monthly active users (MAUs). Shadowlands continued to drive strong results following its record-setting release in November, with first-quarter franchise net bookings growing sharply year-over-year (Y/Y). The Shadowlands expansion has built on the substantial increase in WoW's scale since the launch of Classic in 2019. WoW saw strong reach, engagement, and participation in value-added services, along with a particularly high number of new players joining the community for the first time, boosted by initiatives to enhance the onboarding experience. Blizzard is building on this momentum with further content for the modern game and the upcoming introduction of The Burning Crusade Classic. Hearthstone's Forged in the Barrens expansion is on track to deliver expansion-over-expansion net bookings growth for the second consecutive release. Ahead of the launch later this year, Diablo 2: Resurrected saw very positive feedback during early testing in April and online viewership of the alpha test was the highest ever for a Blizzard game test.  Diablo Immortal entered its second phase of testing and is on track for global release later this year. According to President and Chief Operating Officer Daniel Alegre, Diablo IV will advance the art of the action RPG genre. Source
      • By Staff
        Jeff Kaplan today announced he's leaving Blizzard after 19 years. Overwatch leadership has been passed on to Aaron Keller, a Blizzard veteran and founding member of the Overwatch team, who is the new Game Director.
        (Source)
        We want to let you know that Jeff Kaplan has decided to leave the company after a long and storied career here, and that Aaron Keller, a Blizzard veteran and founding member of the Overwatch team, will be stepping in as game director.
        Aaron has been a critical part of the Overwatch team and a key driver in creating the vision for the game. He helped create Overwatch as an original member of the team, and as an 18-year veteran at Blizzard, he has worked side-by-side with Jeff for a long time, not only in building Overwatch but previously in helping to build WoW as well. A few words from Aaron: 
        Greetings, Overwatch Community,  
        Jeff’s been a great leader, mentor, and friend, and he knows how much we’re going to miss him. I’ve been lucky to work alongside him and the rest of the Overwatch team for many years in building something that continues to inspire people all around the world, and I’m honored to carry the torch forward.  
        I love Overwatch. From our first pieces of concept art, to the first maps we built, to the first time I was able to run around as Tracer (who at that early point shot laser beams out of her eyes), this game has just clicked with me. I love its inspiring, hopeful, beautiful world worth fighting for. I love its characters—larger than life, colorful, powerful, and global. And most of all, I love the fast, fluid gameplay requiring teamwork, situational awareness, and quick decision making.  
        I also recognize that making games at Blizzard has always been a group effort and never about just one point of view. Together with the rest of the team I feel fortunate that we have a deep bench of development and creative leaders, numerous veteran Blizzard artists and designers, and some extremely talented new blood as well—along with tons of support throughout the company for the live game and for Overwatch 2.  
        Speaking of Overwatch 2, development is continuing at a good pace. We have an exceptional vision we’re executing on, the reaction from many of you to the updates we shared at BlizzConline thrilled us, and we have exciting reveals planned for this year and beyond as we ramp to launch. We’ll be sharing more frequent updates about Overwatch 2 progress and new features in the live game with you all very soon.  
        While I have no pretenses about filling Jeff’s shoes, I’m excited to step into the game director role and continue to be part of a team that’s putting all of its heart, talent, and focus into the next iteration of Overwatch, and I’m honored to continue serving this incredible community. 
        -Aaron 
        We’re also tremendously grateful for Jeff’s contributions over the years. Please see a personal note from Jeff below:
        i am leaving Blizzard Entertainment after 19 amazing years. 
        it was truly the honor of a lifetime to have the opportunity to create worlds and heroes for such a passionate audience. i want to express my deep appreciation to everyone at blizzard who supported our games, our game teams and our players. but i want to say a special thanks to the wonderful game developers that shared in the journey of creation with me.  
        never accept the world as it appears to be. always dare to see it for what it could be. i hope you do the same. 
        gg,
        jeffrey kaplan 
        You’ll hear more from Aaron and the rest of the Overwatch team soon. In the meantime, please join us in thanking Jeff, and in welcoming Aaron into his new role. 
      • By Starym
        In a somewhat surprising announcement, it seems David Kim has left Blizzard Entertainment earlier today, as spotted by WRHeronkill. After heading up the Diablo 4 systems team since 2017, Kim moved on to the Principal Game Designer role for World of Warcraft in the latter half of 2020, and has now announced he is leaving the company:
        In the comments of the post we can see many employees saying goodbye and wishing Kim luck in his future endeavors.
        It seems the WoW job either didn't quite work out or, more likely, was just temporary to help ship Shadowlands and get it through the launch period. Kim has been with Blizzard since 2007 and was one of the main architects behind StarCraft 2, in particular the balancing side of the game. After that he moved on to Heroes of the Storm for a while, went back to SC2, and then Diablo 4 where he spend 3 years. It seems he wasn't quite ready to work on Hearthstone and Overwatch, just to get his "worked on all major Blizzard franchises" ticket.
        We wish him well in any future endeavors, and will be checking the roster over at Dreamhaven for any new additions periodically.