FORUMS
Stan

Junkrat & Whitemane Hero Reworks Preview

GRXA87KUVCTL1568338293159.jpg

As you've probably noticed by now, the latest patch comes with Junkrat, and Whitemane reworks, and here we have a post with developer insights and more information about some of the new talents, update goals, and more.

You can find a list of all changes in the official patch notes.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

We’re reworking Junkrat and Whitemane to make them more dynamic and interesting to play. Here’s a preview of the changes you’ll see today when Whitemane’s judgment and Junkrat’s explosions hit the PTR!

Junkrat

Overview:

The wildly destructive Jamison Fawkes (A.K.A. Junkrat) is one of the most popular Overwatch Heroes in the roster. While he is consistently represented in the meta, we feel like his talent diversity is less than ideal. This update is our opportunity to create more interactive and interesting talent and Heroic options while ensuring he remains the manic hyper-carry he’s always been. Our primary focus with these changes is to increase the power of his less popular build paths, remove unnecessary talents, and round out his other builds to be on par with Frag LauncherFrag Launcher. Armed with some new toys, this deranged demolitionist is ready to rain havoc and bedlam on the battlefield!

New Talents:

btn-ability-lunar2018-spellc.png

At level 1, Blow 'Em Up! grants Junkrat a 25% damage increase to basic attacks and basic abilities for 6 seconds after hitting an enemy Hero with Concussion MineConcussion Mine or Steel TrapSteel Trap.

btn-ability-lunar2018-spellb.png

With Dirty Trickster, Junkrat drops Total MayhemTotal Mayhem (Trait) grenades when Stunned, Rooted, or damaged by a Hero while below 50% Health.

btn-ability-lunar2018-spella.png

Level 20's I Hate Waiting! offers Junkrat his Rocket RideRocket Ride Mount with 150% increased Movement Speed and a higher cooldown in place of his standard Mount (Z)s.

Update Goals:

Overall, we want to preserve Junkrat’s general gameplay identity while significantly increasing his talent choices and allowing for multiple build paths. We’ve focused on promoting a healthy balance of damage and carry capabilities for Junkrat while ensuring he’s not frustrating to play against. Junkrat’s new and reworked talents are more powerful as a whole, but to compensate for that increase, we’ve reduced the damage on his baseline Basic Attack and Frag LauncherFrag Launcher. The changes we made to Steel TrapSteel Trap—by tuning and adjusting functionality on its associated talents—should make it a more attractive option. Finally, Rocket RideRocket Ride’s marginal pick rate prompted us to up its steer speed and introduce a powerful level 20 upgrade.

Look Out For:

Junkrat has always been strong in the areas of zone control, wave clear, and mobility. This remains true following this update, but Junkrat also has some new tricks up his sleeve to lock Heroes down and cause general explosive chaos. Be sure to draft Junkrat on maps that have high-impact objectives or small corridors, as that’s where he can truly shine. His Concussion MineConcussion Mine and Steel TrapSteel Trap are hugely effective when used to engage or as a follow up to his own or his allies’ abilities.

Whitemane

Overview:

Sally Whitemane, High Inquisitor of the Scarlet Crusade, is not one to take prisoners. Playing her should always feel relentless, whether you’re supporting your allies, or smiting the enemies of the Light. To make sure that’s the case, we’ve submitted her abilities to an interrogation.

Whitemane’s Mana tension (the amount of Mana she has access to versus the amount she needs to spend to meaningfully impact a match) was the primary area we found needed some reevaluation. In our PTR patch available on 9/16, we’re reducing the baseline Mana costs of Whitemane’s abilities. Since she can now use more abilities before running out of Mana, we’ve lowered her damage output to keep her power from spiraling out of control.

We’ve pushed her playstyle toward more interactivity by giving her multiple new ZealZeal-stacking talents, which heal her allies when Whitemane damages enemy Heroes. She’s also picked up a powerful global heal, and a new Quest talent that lets her Searing LashSearing Lash ability provide permanent buffs. With her ardor renewed, Sally Whitemane is ready to purge the wicked from the Nexus once and for all!

New Talents:

Medivh - Force of Magic.gif

With Inquisitor's Prayer (Quest), Searing LashSearing Lash (E) Hero hits permanently increase Health and Mana.

btn-ability-lunar2018-spellb.png

Whitemane's Heroic Ability, Divine ReckoningDivine Reckoning (R2), now returns 25% of damage dealt to Heroes as Mana.

btn-ability-lunar2018-spella.png

At level 20, Whitemane can activate Fanatical PowerFanatical Power to cast a free and global Desperate Plea (Q) that grants a targeted ally permanent Zeal.

Update Goals:

We’re hoping these changes will secure Whitemane a strong, healthy spot in the meta. After multiple rounds of feedback, tuning passes, and adjustments during our internal playtests, she’s sitting at a new level of power without having sacrificed her identity. That new power has been injected into her talent tree in the form of various Mana-return options, baseline ClemencyClemency, and a multitude of Basic Attack talents that reward players for having strong Zeal management. We hope you enjoy all the new synergies we’ve added to Whitemane’s talent tree!

Look Out For:

While the playstyle you’re accustomed to with Whitemane’s hasn’t fundamentally changed, you should nonetheless keep an eye out for some new synergies she has with aggressive or dive Heroes at the later levels. For example, Fanatical PowerFanatical Power targeted at an ally Illidan, Diablo, or Valla can turn fights around in seconds due to the safety of its global range. As her enemy, if Whitemane appears vulnerable or out of Mana, be wary of how you engage. You may find yourself falling victim to her kiting, disabling, and burst healing potential . . . no matter how much you protest!

Join us in the Nexus to see both Junkrat and Whitemane in action today, and share your thoughts about these changes on the General Discussion forums!

I am liking both of those reworks so far. In Junkrat's case, I am glad they didn't erase the trap build. And he has some interesting protection against divers now on lvl 7. About Whitemane, I read various people complaining that she will run out of mana too fast, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the few games I tested on the PTR yesterday. The mana reduction on Desperate PleaDesperate Plea is quite significant, and I didn't feel that I had any more trouble managing her mana than the current iteration. On the opposite, I am not locked to that Q-Q-Q-W from the old High InquisitorHigh Inquisitor.

..... they said he was the most popular? Oh okay for overwatch 🤣. Idk I think everybodies more hyped for his skin. When he was released it was literally like oh cool a new hero.... and then nobody played him. Thigh-mane on the other hand - She definitely deserves all the "attention" hint hint, wink wink she gets. Two great ults and defintely an underrated hero that isn't picked enough so hype train on that.

No more High Inquisitor whitemane mana resets 😞

Probably for the best so the character doesn't have 1 build that makes it so you can heal so much in and out of fights on a character like this. It also gives the character the more mana managing design they seemed to have meant to make. High Inquisitor was just such an easy out for her mana. I understand why it goes, though I will miss it. 

I still think whitemane's rework was unnecessary,they only made her with a narrow talent build viable. I dont understand why it was nasassary to change a whole playstyle based on someone 'disliking' how she worked. They did not make her mana management more forgiving. By adding a cost to Clemency and nerfing the cost of her Q, she will be so much harder to keep as a viable healer. Then you move her mana management from a base ability to a 75 second cooldown that your enemies can walk out of. The issue with Whitemane wasn't that she had infinite mana, it was that she was powerful when she had mana and useless without. Players that could keep up mana were dominant, but a single overreaction or misclick could ruin her healing for an entire fight. I loved the High Inquisitor play style and I wish they embraced it instead of treating it as a problem. She already was off meta and now they nerf the worst part about her while buffing her mediocre damage. I'm willing to give it a try but I think I'm gonna end up never playing Whitemane after that. I wish i could refund the gold i put into her, very much disliking how this turned out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Mastery Rings are a new feature that was added to the game in the latest balance update. They are the successor to legacy Mastery Skins that existed back then. When you reach level 15 and 25 with a certain Hero, you will be able to purchase these augmented rings for 5,000 Gold each.
      Blizzard (Source)
      We’re adding a new feature to Heroes of the Storm that will allow you to charge into battle with an extra bit of flair: introducing Mastery Rings!
      Reaching level 15 with a hero you own will unlock the ability to use gold to purchase a Mastery Ring for that hero, which will be displayed in game as an extra adornment of your hero’s regular selection circle. Additionally, when you reach level 25 with that hero you can then purchase an even more distinct Mastery Ring with gold.
      FAQ
      Q: Can I get Mastery Rings for more than one hero?
      A: You can get Mastery Rings for as many heroes as you like, given than you’ve reached at least level 15 with those heroes.
      Q: Do I purchase these rings for each Hero separately?
      A: Yes. These rings signify experience playing individual heroes and let other players know that you know how to play your chosen hero, so Mastery Rings are hero-specific.
      Q: When will Mastery Rings become available?
      A: Mastery Rings are live now!
    • By Stan
      The in-game Collection has been updated with new Heroes available for purchase at a reduced Gem cost.
      The Scarlet Heist Event dynamic bundles are still up for sale, but there are no other skins available for purchase with Shards.
      Click here to check out this week's Free-to-Play Hero rotation and the latest balance patch.

Hero Sales
      Heroes Old Price New Price Jaina 500 Gems 250 Gems Lt Morales 625 Gems 312 Gems Varian 750 Gems 375 Gems
    • By Stan
      The latest balance patch comes with new augmented Hero Rings, purchasable for 5,000 gold each, which are equivalent to the old Mastery Skins, Hero updates, and more.
      Patch Highlights
      General
      After completing the Scarlet Heist Questline, a set of 3 new dailies will become available. To show off your individual Heroes mastery, Blizzard has implemented augmented Hero Rings for any Hero over the levels of 15 (Level 1) and 25 (Level 2) which can be purchased for 5,000 gold each. Hero Changes
      Diablo's base health has been increased and the Mana cost of Apocalypse has been reduced. Artanis' Purifier Beam speed has been increased. Some of Rexxar's talents (Easy Prey, Flare, Hunter-Gatherer) have been nerfed. Varian's Twin Blades have been nerfed and his Taunt has been buffed to incentivize Varian players to try tanking for their teams more often. Ana has been slightly buffed and they removed the awkwardness of the way Vampiric Rounds asked players to constantly target swap after 5 Shrike stacks. Deckard Cain's potions now display their impact location before they land and the radius of Fortitude of the Faithful has increased. Li Li's Hindering Winds and Surging Winds talents swapped positions. Lt. Morales has a new Medi-Drone talent which gives her limited multi-target healing. Malfurion's Entangling Roots & Innervate have been buffed. Whitemane has some new baseline mechanics. Clemency and Inquisition now remove 1 stack of Desperation, Zeal can be activated to increase Spell Power by 25% and reduce Armor by 25 for 5 seconds on a 60 second cooldown. Saintly Greatstaff has a new functionality, and Whitemane has a new talent at level 20 which can be used to grant a target ally a permanent Zeal. Qhira's Finishing Touch has been buffed to help equalize the level 1 talent tier. Junkrat's base health and regeneration have been increased and we have some follow-up changes to even out his talents (see below for details). Li Ming received survivability buffs (Health + regen). Astral Presence was removed and the functionality implemented into Force Armor. Blizzard (Source)
      Heroes of the Storm has just been updated with Hero balance changes and bug fixes! Read on for details.
      General
      The Scarlet Heist: Daily Quests Mobsters are back! After completing the Scarlet Heist quest line, a set of three new daily special event quests will be available. Using a Special Event dialog, you can choose one of those three quests and complete it for a Scarlet Heist Chest reward, once a day, until the event ends on December 3rd, 2019, PST. New Feature: Hero Mastery Rings A lot of you may remember the old 'Mastery Skins' and we are excited to bring back another way for players to show off their mastery of individual Heroes. With today's patch, players will be able to spend 5,000 gold to purchase augmented Hero Rings for any Hero over the levels of 15 (Level 1) and 25 (Level 2). These Mastery Rings are permanent when purchased and will be placed over the top of the normal Hero Ring, becoming visible to all players while in a match. We are extremely excited to know what you think about these and appreciate hearing any feedback you have on them! Heroes
      Tank

Diablo
      Base
      Health increased from 2670 to 2825. Black Soulstone [Trait] Bonus Health reduced from 0.4% to 0.3% per Soul. Talents
      Level 10 Apocalypse [R1] Mana cost reduced from 100 to 50. Bruiser

Artanis
      Talents
      Level 10 Purifier Beam [R2] Movement Speed increased from 3 to 3.2.
      Rexxar
      Base
      Mend Pet [E] Mana cost increased from 55 to 60. Talents
      Level 1 Easy Prey [Passive] Damage bonus against Mercenaries and Minions reduced from 200% to 150%. Flare [Active] Cast range increased from 15 to 25. Level 4 Hunter-Gatherer [Passive] Bonus Healing Regeneration reduced from 1.25 to 1 per second per Regeneration Globe. Maximum stacks increased from 20 to 25.
      Varian
      Talents
      Level 1 Overpower [W] Bonus damage increased from 30% to 40%. Level 4 Taunt [R1] Health and Health Regeneration bonuses increased from 30% to 40%. Twin Blades of Fury [R3] Base Attack Damage reduction increased from 20% to 25%. Level 7 Lionheart [Q] Healing bonus increased from 50% to 75%. Level 16 Banner of Stormwind [Active] Cooldown reduced from 45 to 25 seconds. Banner of Dalaran [Active] Cooldown reduced from 45 to 25 seconds. Level 20 Glory to the Alliance [Passive] Banner cooldown reduction changed from 20 seconds to 50%. Healer

Ana
      Base
      Shrike [Trait] Healing from Shrike damage from 50 to 60%. Talents
      Level 1 Vampiric Rounds [Trait] Bonus Shrike Heal from stacking 5 Doses from 1.5% to .75%. Added second reward: Increase Shrike’s Heal by .25% for every Basic Attack against Heroes that have 5 Doses. Slumber Shells [E] Additional functionality: Reduce the cooldown of Sleep Dart by 4 seconds. Level 7 Night Terrors [E] No longer reduces Sleep Dart cooldown. Modified functionality: Gain 25% Movement for 2 seconds for every Hero hit by Sleeping Dart. When a Hero wakes, they take 10% of their maximum Health in damage.
      Deckard
      Base
      Healing Potion [Q] Now displays its impending AoE to allies while the missile is in flight. Fortitude of the Faithful [Trait] Radius increased from 5.5 to 6.5. Talents
      Level 1/4/7 Gems [Active/W] Added functionality: Increases the damage of the unleashing Horadric Cube by 100%. Level 4 Ruby [Active/W] Cooldown reduced from 30 to 20 seconds. Trigger radius of Lesser Healing Potions increased from .5 to 1 (matching base potions). Level 20 Perfect Gems [Active/W] Now reduces the cooldown of all Gem talents to 5 seconds, instead of a flat 25 second reduction.
      Li Li
      Talents
      Level 4 Hindering Winds [W] Moved to level 13. Slow duration increased from 1.5 to 2 seconds. Level 13 Surging Winds [W] Moved to level 4. Cooldown reduction reduced from 3 to 2 seconds.
      Lt. Morales
      Talents
      Level 7 Vanadium Plating [W] New Functionality: Increases the duration of Safeguard by 1 second. While the target is Stunned or Rooted, Safeguard’s armor value is increased to 50. Prolonged Safeguard [W] Removed. New Talent - Medi-Drone [W] Allies with Safeguard receive 50% of the healing done by Healing Beam on other targets.
      Malfurion
      Base
      Entangling Roots [E] Cooldown reduced from 14 to 12 seconds. Mana cost reduced from 75 to 65. Innervate [Trait] Cooldown reduced from 30 to 25 seconds.
      Whitemane
      Base
      Basic Attack Damage increased from 55 to 62. Clemency [Active] Mana cost removed. Additional functionality: Removes 1 stack of Desperation. Inquisition [W] Additional functionality: Removes 1 stack of Desperation. Zeal [Trait] Added functionality: Activate to increase your Spell Power by 25% and reduce your Armor by 25 for 5 seconds. 60 second cooldown. Talents
      Level 10 Scarlet Aegis [R1] Cooldown reduced from 90 to 70 seconds. Level 13 Saintly Greatstaff [Trait] New functionality: Hitting an enemy with Searing Lash marks them for 3 seconds. Basic Attacks against a marked target deal an additional 75 damage and consume the mark. Level 20 New Talent – Guiding Light [Active] Activate to grant target ally a permanent Zeal. Only one target can have this at a time. Melee Assassin

Qhira
      Talents
      Level 1 Finishing Touch [Passive] Modified functionality: Gain 15% Basic Attack damage. When you Basic Attack a Hero below 50% Health, gain an additional 15% Basic Attack damage and 35% Attack Speed for 3 seconds. Ranged Assassin

Junkrat
      Base
      Vitals Health increased from 1350 to 1425. Health Regeneration increased from 2.813 to 2.969. Talents
      Level 4 BOOM POW [W] Cooldown reduction increased from 8 to 9 seconds. Level 7 Big As [E] Armor reduction increased from 10 to 15. Level 10 Rocket Ride [R2] Damage increased from 815 to 890.
      Li-Ming
      Base
      Vitals Health from 1232 to 1270. Health regen from 2.57 to 2.65 Talents
      Level 1 Astral Presence [Passive] Removed. Force Armor [Q] Additional functionality: Mana regeneration is increased by 100% while below 35% maximum Mana. Level 4 Triumvirate [W] Additional functionality: Max range Arcane Orbs also refund 40 Mana. Bug Fixes
      General
      Many abilities that were incorrectly incrementing Healing or Self Healing scores have been fixed. Protected now contributes to Healing or Self Healing Score. A.I. should no longer become stuck in a logic loop while attempting to capture Merc camps that have enemy structures nearby. User Interface
      Fixed additional issues that caused Gem purchase dialog show blank screen. Fixed typos in Boost tooltips. Fixed an issue where player names are cut off when they have a Boost active. MAC
      Fixed an issue that would cause mouse hover outlines for some objects to render solid black. Fixed an issue that would cause area of effect circles to render with an incorrect color. The latest balance update has hit the Nexus and here are the patch notes.
    • By Stan
      This week's Hero rotation includes Ana, Brightwing, Kael'thas, Zul'jin, and more.
      Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15, 2019
      Player level remains unknown because Blizzard stopped updating the official forum post.
      Ana Artanis Azmodan Brightwing Cho Chromie ETC Gall Kael'thas Li Li Rexxar The Butcher Zagara Zul'jin (Source)
    • By Stan
      This week's brawl is Industrial District! The single-lane Overwatch-themed map comes with standard play and shuffle pick. Destroy the enemy core to earn a Scarlet Heist Loot Chest.
      Blizzard (Source)
      This week’s Heroes Brawl is Industrial District! Slide around and slug it out in the heart of Volskaya in this Overwatch-themed, single-lane Battleground featuring lots of conveyor belts and tons of action.
      Rules:
      Shuffle pick - Choose from one of three Heroes before entering the battle. Standard play - no talent or level restrictions. The first team to destroy the enemy Core wins! Rewards:
      Complete three matches of the Industrial District Brawl to earn a Scarlet Heist Loot Chest! Find out more about the Heroes Brawl game mode on our Heroes Brawl site; and as always, you can find more information on this week’s Brawl by clicking the Brawl Info button at the bottom of the play screen when preparing to queue for the Brawl game mode.