FORUMS
Stan

Diablo 3 Classified as a Blizzard Classic Game

45183-diablo-iii-and-ongoing-support.jpg

Based on a recent job posting brought up by Redditor Shirear, Diablo 3 is now classified as a Classic Game.

Blizzard is looking for a Senior Software Engineer in the latest job listing. The job description mentions Diablo 3 as a Classic Game in addition to Warcraft 3 and Starcraft. It's more than likely that Blizzard will unveil Diablo IV at this year's BlizzCon. You can read the original article linked by Redditor Shirear here.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Some of Blizzard most epic experiences that have brought endless hours of replayability and intense multiplayer battles are now looking for a hero to evolve and carry them into the future. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made it more difficult to share these experiences.

Whether it’s battling the Zerg in the Koprulu sector, staking your claim in Azeroth, or saving the High Heavens from the wrath of Diablo, these titans are being modernized to new heights and need a versatile champion to embark on this journey with us to create new adventures. You should be spec’d into engineering talents, passion, and armed with fierce hunger to modernize technology.

So, if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

Responsibilities

• Driving feature implementation from planning to completion for Starcraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo III.
  • Maintain and grow a production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly stable and resilient.
  • Review logs and monitor data to diagnose and fix issues occurring on the live service.
  • Liaise with embedded and external teams, create relationships and assist with shared initiatives.
  • Participate in service capacity planning, demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and system tuning.
  • Respond to and resolve emergent service problems by debugging systems and services.
  • Diagnose networking, database and OS related problems.
  • Share in off-hour / on-call duties.

Requirements

• Strong C++ programming skills.
  • Familiar with implementing client/server architecture.
  • A mind towards scalability and performance.
  • Excellent debugging and diagnostic skills.
  • High comfort level working within (and analyzing and improving) an established codebase.
  • Able to work in a collaborative environment with a team of highly skilled programmers.
  • Familiarity with OS, networking and server design concepts.
  • Experience working with Hybrid and public cloud APIs/tech.
  • Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
  • Passion for video games and highly motivated.

Pluses

• Previous experience shipping video game titles or other software.
  • Linux development experience.
  • Database development experience (e.g MySQL).
  • Familiar with Python.
  • Experience working with distributed systems.
  • Networking experience (knowledge of low-level protocols and high-level protocols).
  • Low-level network knowledge and diagnosis including packet capture (e.g., tcpdump, wireshark), routing, firewalls, DHCP, DNS, and NAT busting.

2 hours ago, Rooach said:

"know small teams are the most effective"

Works well for hots with 1 patch per year

Except that HotS is getting a whole bunch of patches, more than when the team was big. With higher quality as well. So it might just work out for D3 as well.

Edited by Saphikins
  • Thanks 1

D3 is only 7 years old.... I feel a little disgusted that they just label it classic. W3 and Starcraft have earned the title of classic especially considering when the two games came out. Unrelated note Blizzard was also much more different than then it is now when they made their decisions. Maybe I am over-reacting just a wee bit but yeah there are no updates to this game there's only "New Seasons" hell warcraft 3 was getting more patches then this game and thats saying a lot.

Alright listen lol I am not one to usually edit posts that are weeks old but whatever. D3 is an old game similar to warcraft and Starcraft *filtered* that was the point here. Regardless of the fact that Diablo 3 is being converted into "classic" which is already obvious by whats being posted above both classic games Warcraft and Starcraft ironically have receivced a lot more attention then Diablo 3. Ontop of that who's going to be playing Diablo 3 right now? Its not a context of ranting Lmafo its ironic truth.

Edited by Varrick
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Varrick said:

D3 is only 7 years old.... I feel a little disgusted that they just label it classic. W3 and Starcraft have earned the title of classic especially considering when the two games came out. Unrelated note Blizzard was also much more different than then it is now when they made their decisions. Maybe I am over-reacting just a wee bit but yeah there are no updates to this game there's only "New Seasons" hell warcraft 3 was getting more patches then this game and thats saying a lot.

Classic is just the team name for the "old games" maintenance team.....

Old games, or games we don't actively support much probably isn't a great name.........

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It has been classic for a while already, so it's not a new information. Only few of their current games aren't categorised for classic team. So it's basically just umbrella term for games with reduced teams and budget, also including those in maintenance mode and very old ones. Even that might be questionable a bit, as game like Overwatch receives similar amount of content to HotS, for example (whether this is going to change, remains to be seen).

Edited by Arcling
  • Thanks 1

Its not like we didn't already know that there would be no further content expansions for D3 and that going forward it will be season modifiers and class/item reworks, as they focus on D4 to try and recover from the disastrous announcement of the mobile game last year. I swear, a Blue could take a *filtered* and you all would be combing through it for nuggets.

11 hours ago, CaperfinWoW said:

It's definitely weird to call D3 Classic when you compare it to WoW Classic. Or maybe they want people to forget about it and classify it as old?

they're pushing it to continued support in lieu of new Diablo product in 6 weeks at BlizzCon. There's going to be a bevy of announcements - expect some good faith renewal attempts after 2018.

Edited by Abom

18 hours ago, Abom said:

they're pushing it to continued support in lieu of new Diablo product in 6 weeks at BlizzCon. There's going to be a bevy of announcements - expect some good faith renewal attempts after 2018.

I guess all we can do at this point is wait 😛

On 9/22/2019 at 11:18 PM, Boothyp said:

Classic is just the team name for the "old games" maintenance team.....

Old games, or games we don't actively support much probably isn't a great name.........

Wait what? Not actively support much? Are you joking? Diablo 3 recieves much love EVEN when there was only 1 expancion to sustain such maintanance. Hell, considering how much one pays for WoW to be patched all the time, I'd say Diablo get's more than we pay for. But ofc, being a sourpuss and complaining without making any sense at all is the new thing for kids these days. 

4 hours ago, Znifler said:

Wait what? Not actively support much? Are you joking? Diablo 3 recieves much love EVEN when there was only 1 expancion to sustain such maintanance. Hell, considering how much one pays for WoW to be patched all the time, I'd say Diablo get's more than we pay for. But ofc, being a sourpuss and complaining without making any sense at all is the new thing for kids these days. 

I have to agree, Blizz very much has an adoration to keep D3 as pristine as possible.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 4:06 PM, Varrick said:

I'm not sure I understand half of this word salad.

I do enjoy people reimagining the cadence of updates whe it suits their rants.

On 9/25/2019 at 5:57 AM, Znifler said:

being a sourpuss and complaining without making any sense at all is the new thing for kids

Aw, thanks for calling me a kid, it helps my depression at getting old..........

Dude, I was just being sarcastic to get across the "classic" complaint.

I happen to agree with you. Diablo 3 has easily been the best value game I've ever played. for a total investment of £40 (ish), I've had so much out if it, it's amazing............

• Like 1