FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

How the Level Squish Will Work with Soloing Old Content

bch2NAd.jpg

Eurogamer recently spoke to Shadowlands producer Michael Bybee and lead engineer Patrick Magruder about the level squish coming with the new expansion (and for some reason insisted on calling it a level squash) and we found out some interesting details regarding the way soloing older content will work after it.

Check out our BlizzCon 2019 Content Hub for more interviews and info!

As we already know we will be able to experience any of the expansions while leveling from 10 to 50 with a brand new starting area and the old ones to choose from for 1-10. After the starting experience, at level 10, new players will go directly into Battle for Azeroth, and existing players will be able to choose any expansion (or vanilla) to play through. This outdoor time-walking or Chromie Time (as she'll be your guide through this) is how we get to experience the history of Azeroth and level up within those periods of time.

The new info from the interview shares what happens after you've hit level 50 (or 60, if you also go through Shadowlands), and want to run old raids, dungeons etc. for transmogs, achievements, mounts and everything else:

Eurogamer: So all of the legacy content - Pandaria and the like - that's being scaled somehow?

Patrick Magruder: It'll be scaled from 10 to 50.

Actually, to be clear, it'll be scaled from 10 to 50 while you're levelling. However, that's where Chromie comes in - Chromie Time. As you're doing it from 10 to 50, it's Chromie time, it's scaled. Once you hit 50, Chromie will show up again and say, 'Hey, it looks like you're done, cool - let's bring you back to the main timeline,' and then you'll be 50 and Pandaria will have been scaled down to around, I'm going to guess, 35-ish in the new scheme.

Michael Bybee: The point there is if you want to run a Pandaria raid because you really like the transmog, you can still do that because those creatures will be lower level than you once you've left Chromie Time and you're no longer levelling up.

They also talked about how leveling will take significantly less time than it does now, some 60-70% less in fact, to get from 1 to 50, with an emphasis on pacing out the leveling process well, with new skills, dungeons and features opening up at the proper tempo - so we keep getting something new and interesting quickly, but also don't get overwhelmed.

The rest of the interview covers a lot of the basic stuff around the squish - the fact that we'll be getting old abilities back, that the talents will be revamped etc, but it's certainly worth a read and you do so by heading over here.

2 hours ago, Starym said:

They also talked about how leveling will take significantly less time than it does now, some 60-70% less in fact

Wow..it's already super fast.

• Like 1

I wonder when we're going to hear about professions. Have I missed a post on how they are going to handle that?

• Like 1

Uncommon Patron
59 minutes ago, stomp442 said:

Wow..it's already super fast.

That percentage decrease is a comparison to getting to level 120...which I wouldn't currently consider super fast.

• Like 1

I'm wondering what impact heirlooms will have on all of this.

And from the sounds of the leveling speed, I will probably have to find a new server to create an army of alts on ? rip me

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alsurag said:

Heirlooms...I wonder if it will be still possible to earn heritage armor in Shadowlands...

How will that work then?

Why would they not let you earn heritage armour? You'll still be able to earn it, I think I remember it being said that you have to get to 60 though to earn it, not 50.

57 minutes ago, Aegrotat said:

Why would they not let you earn heritage armour? You'll still be able to earn it, I think I remember it being said that you have to get to 60 though to earn it, not 50.

Yes, all allied races and their classes will start at 10, so for heritage armor you will have to level from 10 to 60. Other races will all start at level 1.

7 minutes ago, Arcling said:

Yes, all allied races and their classes will start at 10, so for heritage armor you will have to level from 10 to 60. Other races will all start at level 1.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew the starting level just couldn't remember if it was 60 or not for the armour

Yay! No more ridiculously high level numbers! 60. Nice & Clean. Just think. Something we have never seen "Arander, Level 60 Death Knight". Doesn't that sound sick?

I'm excited to play actual expansion content that I never got to experience. TBC, Wotlk and Cata. Can't wait to level a few toons to 50 and then see which one I'll take to 60!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Knoxtane said:

Something we have never seen "Arander, Level 60 Death Knight". Doesn't that sound sick?

Death Knights start below level 60 perhaps you meant demon hunters?

Awesome! Now they just have to make it so you don't have to worry about specific mechanics that practically need more than 1 person to get past, such as the first boss of Blackwing Lair. I could never do that on my own. Unless they did something about those kinds of mechanics already. I've been out of the loop since before 7.2.

Edited by KomodoDragoon

10 hours ago, KomodoDragoon said:

Awesome! Now they just have to make it so you don't have to worry about specific mechanics that practically need more than 1 person to get past, such as the first boss of Blackwing Lair. I could never do that on my own. Unless they did something about those kinds of mechanics already. I've been out of the loop since before 7.2.

I believe they have, havnt done it myself for awhile but if I remember correctly your talking about the boss you mc with the orb...it has no cast time or CD so it only takes like a minuite

Minor correction - so far as I know, "Vanilla" won't be an option.  "Old world" continents (EK and Kalimdor) are an option, but those zones will be set up as they appeared in Cataclysm. 

In terms of levelling speed, it looks like the intention is for level 10-50 to take roughly the same length of time as any given expansion did to play through for the first time, i.e. 60-70 when TBC was new, 70-80 when WoTLK was new, 80-90 when Cataclysm was new, etc.  You'll experience one expansion's worth of content at its original pace, and level from 10-50 during the process.

One interesting thing to keep an eye on will be any awkwardness around the few plot lines they put in that require jumping between expansions (e.g. turning in Island Reward quests from BfA content).  Another will be how they handle the old world (even the Cataclysm revamped versions), because however you cut it, EK and Kalimdor collectively have much more content than any single expansion.  There's enough there to make at least two parallel paths following different storylines.

17 hours ago, Havyk said:

Death Knights start below level 60 perhaps you meant demon hunters?

No, I mean once I hit max level on my DK, He will be level 60. I'm saying max level of 60. Yes, DKs have been able to be 60 before but it didn't mean much...I know I saw a ton of level 70 DKs and 80 DKs when I played

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      We've looked at the most popular specs for Mythic+ for the second week of Season 4.

DISCLAIMER
      The following post is based on data taken from u.gg, which has combined thousands of parses from live servers.
      The Most Popular Specializations for Mythic+ in Season 4 Week 2
      This week's affixes are Tyrannical, Incorporeal, and Spiteful.
      The Most Popular DPS Specializations
      Shadow Priest - 15.0% Retribution Paladin - 13.8% Augmentation Evoker - 7.9% Fire Mage - 5.9% Destruction Warlock - 5.8% Beast Mastery Hunter - 4.8% Frost Mage - 3.8% Outlaw Rogue 3.8% Demonology Warlock - 3.7% Devastation Evoker - 3.6% Arms Warrior - 3.4% Havoc Demon Hunter - 3.1% Windwalker Monk - 2.6% Balance Druid - 2.3% Elemental Shaman - 2.1% Fury Warrior - 1.9% Unholy Death Knight - 1.9% Enhancement Shaman - 1.8% Marksmanship Hunter - 1.7% Arcane Mage - 1.7% Feral Druid - 1.6% Frost Death Knight - 1.6% Survival Hunter - 1.6% Subtlety Rogue - 1.6% Assassination Rogue - 1.6% Affliction Warlock - 1.5%
      The Most Popular Tanks
      Vengeance Demon Hunter - 59.3% Protection Paladin - 10.9% Blood Death Knight - 9.6% Guardian Druid - 8.2% Brewmaster Monk 6.2% Protection Warrior - 5.8%
      The Most Popular Healers
      Restoration Druid - 31.1% Mistweaver Monk - 16.9% Holy Priest - 14.3% Restoration Shaman - 14.3% Preservation Evoker - 8.6% Holy Paladin - 7.5% Discipline Priest 7.3%
    • By Starym
      We're back to dungeon achievements and the sweet, sweet mounts they provide. And the Shadowlands version offers up a really cool one too, the Voracious Gorger!

Unlike most of these types of videos we've covered so far, this one will require another player for two of the achievements, so do keep that in mind. Danta takes us through all the required achievements and everything you'll have to do for them, showing the easiest and fastest way to get them done.
      The two achievements you'll need an extra player for are the orb-gathering I Can See My House From Here and the bloody Highly Communicable.
    • By Starym
      It seems Cataclysm Classic is bringing change to everyone's minds, as LucasVerBeek took it upon himself to rework the two faction capitals!
      It's been a while since we saw some major changes to the two cities, and LucasVerBeek has modified quite a lot and even expanded them! While Stormwind is fully completed, Orgrimmar is still a work in progress, and when it's done we'll be getting full lore documents to explain all the changes. Meanwhile let's take a look at the Alliance capital first, as well as accompanying explanations for a few of the changes.

Source: Stormwind 3.0 is Finished, moving on to Orgrimmar.
      Here is the initial "changelog", before the whole thing was finished:
      Stormwinds Updates Include:
      The canal between the Cathedral Square and the Trade District has become an unofficial nobles district, as noble families have purchased housing.
      Old Town: Not much has changed, but the Defias Remnant have found their way back into Stormwind, establishing themselves as vigilantes and working thieve's guild.
      Lamb's Shadow: While still part of the Mage Quarter, most natives consider it its own subculture, the name being a polite way to talk about its centerpiece: The Slaughtered Lamb. This area has grown, seeing permanent enclaves of Illadari and Death Knights joining the Warlocks, and also seeing a number of Void Elves migrate to the area.
      Quadhammer District: Formally the Dwarven District, the district has evolved and grown, becoming a center of artifice with smaller enclaves of each of the Alliance's more smithing and inventing inclined races: Bronzebeards, Gnomes(Mecha and Otherwise), Dark Irons, and Draenei in that order. The keep near the district that is basically a big nothing-in-game has become the centerpiece of the Lightforged forces within the city, established by Turalyon not long after he took command.
      The Pandarian Quarter: Growing from the visiting Tuishi and mainland Pandaren people, the area has become a training ground for monks and a lively entertainment district with a number of new inns and pubs popping up across the lake. Little Pearfin is a subsection of the quarter beneath the waves home to emigrated Jinyu.
      Kur'Dor Point: With the growth of the Pandarian Quarter, the Shamans of the Earthern Ring felt a desire to grow closer to nature and moved into Stormwind's northern Mountains. Here, a fusion of Wildhammer and Draenei architecture juts into the sky and has become a font of Shamanistic learning for the Alliance.
      Everwood District: Feeling disquieted in a city more stone and mortar than leaf and bough the Darnassian refugees petitioned Anduin to be able to settle in the small wood outside Stormwind to the south-east, near the Genasaur Grave. While many have since left for Belameth, or older Night Elf Territories, others remain having set down roots and training others in the Druidic arts. Notably, most of the current citizens of Everwood are Firbolgs, feeling ignored and underrepresented by the plights of their former neighbors.
      Wollerton: Sometimes mockingly referred to as Wolverton, became a sizable Gilnean enclave, though most of the Worgen citizens took to the Everwood District instead, as it allowed easier access to the wider Elwynn Forest. The Embassy, was moved into the Keep by Turalyon, and the building now sits as an unofficial town hall.
      Swellnook: A influx of Kul Tiran immigrants saw a reformating of the city's docks, and the rise of a small seaside community of fisherfolk and carpenters, that remains Kul Tiran dominated to this day, excluding the Waveblade Ankoan, who live nearest to the docks, and visiting Tortollans.
      Creche Obsidian: The newest enclave to arise in Stormwind, the Dracthyr build it with advisement from the Blue and Black Dragonflights, a glassing tower of stone that sits as an outpost for the Obsidian Warders. As a show of good faith, Deathwing's jaw was moved into the small valley beside the tower.
      And here are a few questions answered on the final piece:
      If you look at the lake to the south east there are Jinyu living beneath the waves
      The Nelves moved the Hyjal portal there and also settled that area because of the remains of the Genesaur flooding the area around their with Spirit/Life Magic. It’s becoming a place for other races to learn about Druidism
      The Everbloom portal has been changed to be a connection to Hyjal
      Then we're on to Orgrimmar, which isn't quite done yet so looks a lot more sparse:

Source: Orgrimmar 3.0 is coming along.

They are some pretty cool modifications (and expansions), made Inkarnate, so thanks to LucasVerBeek for some impressive work, and we hope he finished it all up and we get the full lore dump!
    • By Stan
      We've looked at the number of Mythic+ runs completed during the second week of Dragonflight Season 4!
      The chart provided by MythicPlusPoster allows us to compare these figures to those from earlier Dragonflight seasons.

This season, Blizzard has adjusted dungeon difficulty settings, making both Heroic and Mythic levels not only suitable for gearing up but also comparable to the Mythic 2-10 keys from Season 3, which were counted in the Mythic+ totals. With Season 4's M +0 being on par with Season 3's M 2-10, it's logical to see a decrease in numbers.
      In the first week of Season 4, players completed 1,486,891 Mythic+ runs.
      By the second week, the number of runs increased to 1,710,477, which is understandable as players had better gear and could tackle higher Mythic keys.
      During Dragonflight Season 1, players completed 1,874,934 runs in the second week. In Season 2, that number rose to 2,151,658. In the second week of Season 3, the count of Mythic+ runs was 2,646,932.
      Source: Reddit
    • By Staff
      The Team Liquid and Raider.io organized Mythic+ Charity Pro-Am tournament is back for the fourth year and will be bringing a lot of fun dungeon runs on May 25th! Signups for the amateur side of the coin are still open today, so if you wanted to try your hand at this really fun format, you still can! 
      As with the last three iterations, the tournament features professional MDI/TGP players getting teamed up with amateur players, with teams consisting of 2 pros, 2 amateurs and 1 content creator! 6 teams will fight it out to see who can reach the highest key in 5 hours, with proceeds from the whole thing going to charity! The pro-am has raised over $125,000 for charity so far, with last year alone having brought in $56,000! 
      The always entertaining event starts on May 25th, so set your calendars, and remember to register today if you wanted to participate! You can find all the details for the event over on Raider.IO's hub.