FORUMS
Starym

Wrath of the Lich King 8K Upscaled Intro Cinematic

xTPWRye.jpg

So, here we are after the original intro cinematic, at what is likely most players' favorite in the entire series - the Wrath of the Lich King intro cinematic. From introducing us to Sindragosa, to being basically our first real look at what the hell Arthas has been doing up in Northrend since the Frozen Throne, this is the first WoW cinematic that introduced a bit of story and coherence, with the Vanilla and BC ones being mostly clip show of cool stuff. The expansion itself doubled down on that with a bigger focus on narrative and especially with a bigger focus on the main villain of the expansion throughout every zone and many, many quests (which Blizz will hopefully replicate in Shadowlands) and also brought us the first in-game cinematic as well, with Wrathgate (which was also recently remastered). In any case, here's Upscale's AI 8K remaster:

There's been a lot of Blizzard cinematic remastering, both of the AI upscaling variety and IKedit's massive machinima-like remakes, so if you want more you can check all those out below.

Upscale:

IKedit:

Still gives me the shivers, even after that long time. The combination of Terenas words and seeing his son doing his thing was perfectly done.

23 hours ago, Starym said:

The expansion itself doubled down on that with a bigger focus on narrative and especially with a bigger focus on the main villain of the expansion

23 hours ago, Starym said:

It was so well arranged it built up your hatred against arthas... Basically every zone you quested in, he was making trouble. It was a glorifying experience to Finally give him a well deserved rest. 

It was also worth noting that narrative wasn't the only thing that was good about WOTLK. They finally found consistency they needed in main systems (stats, abilities, buffs and debuff etc.) which is unparalleled by later expansions to this date, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yolo said:

It was so well arranged it built up your hatred against arthas... Basically every zone you quested in, he was making trouble. It was a glorifying experience to Finally give him a well deserved rest. 

It was also worth noting that narrative wasn't the only thing that was good about WOTLK. They finally found consistency they needed in main systems (stats, abilities, buffs and debuff etc.) which is unparalleled by later expansions to this date, in my opinion. 

I reported you for hate speech. Never in my history of playing warcraft-genre I felt hate towards Arthas. Not in WC3:ROC, not in WC3:TFT and not in WoW. He is in my opinion the best villain to ever exist and you saying you hate him is hatespeech. 

edit: >>> ? <<<

Edited by Amateurpeeweeeeh

2 hours ago, Amateurpeeweeeeh said:

I reported you for hate speech. Never in my history of playing warcraft-genre I felt hate towards Arthas. Not in WC3:ROC, not in WC3:TFT and not in WoW. He is in my opinion the best villain to ever exist and you saying you hate him is hatespeech. 

So you embraced the dark side of the force too? ? Let me bash Arthas too: A mere, weak human mind tricked into his fate by a higher power. A simple tool to weaken the enemy through the Scourge, before the real threat arrives. Not even powerful enough to kill that specific Banshee he created. Enough?

7 hours ago, Helvorn said:

So you embraced the dark side of the force too? ? Let me bash Arthas too: A mere, weak human mind tricked into his fate by a higher power. A simple tool to weaken the enemy through the Scourge, before the real threat arrives. Not even powerful enough to kill that specific Banshee he created. Enough?

? 

Even after aeons later this cinematic still holds well, even at a lower resolution. It aged so well. Even back in the days Blizzard already had the best technology for CGI stuff, as well fantastic and talented artists.

Would like to see an upscaled Version of the Wrath Gate Cinematic.  A true gem that still gives me the shivers. "Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?"

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      The 9.2 PTR is most likely coming this week, but we already know all the tier set bonuses and the fact that all classes will be able to equip two legendary powers come the new patch, so we poked our class writers to give us some insight into what things will look like! We're starting off with Hunters, as Azortharion takes us through all the relevant changes we know so far and what the mean for all three specs!
      Azortharion:
      These are only my semi-educated thoughts and musings for Patch 9.2. You can find Patch 9.2 sims on my patreon when those become doable (not for a while).
      Double Legendaries
      We can use double legendaries exclusively when combining a Covenant Legendary with a regular one. So Fragments of the Elder Antlers + Serpentstalker's Trickery becomes possible, but SST + Surging Shots will not be possible. This looks better for Night Fae because it has the strongest raid Covenant Legendary, while Kyrian's is very weak. It is also likely good for Venthyr, but it's hard to see Venthyr being super desirable because its damage profile is so poor (bursty profiles > flat profiles nearly all of the time). It is hard to imagine Necrolord being relevant even with its super-strong AoE Covenant Legendary.
      From a spec balance PoV, this looks good for BM where Antlers is super-powered and Rylakstalker's Piercing Fangs is a strong all-rounder Legendary.
      Tier Sets
      Beast Mastery
      2 - piece – Your Kill Command critical strike chance is increased for each stack of Frenzy your pet has.
      4 - piece – Kill Command critical hits increase the damage and cooldown reduction of your next Cobra Shot.
      The big downside of the Beast Mastery tier set is that both of the bonuses are basically completely single-target oriented. This does not bode well for a spec that lacks in the AoE (and especially burst AoE) department. It synergizes well with the Flamewaker's Cobra Sting Legendary and it is not inconceivable to imagine something like Flamewaker's + Tier Set Bonus + Killer Cobra (Level 60 Talent) which would enable many supercharged and free Kill Commands. But again this only benefits single-target which is disappointing.
      Marskamsnship
      2 - piece - Trick Shots now also increases the damage of the affected shot by 30%.
      4 - piece - Spending 80 Focus grants you 2 charges of Trick Shots.
      This is a very strong and exciting tier set. If you read the 2pc+4pc combination closely, you will quickly notice that this affects single-target and introduces relevant 2-target cleave to the spec and is a massive boost to AoE damage. Not only that, but it will make the rotation a lot more technical and will cause your GCD decisions to matter much more, as you will want to maximize the mileage you get out of the Trick Shots charges generated from the 4pc. This bonus HUGELY favors Kyrian MM, which is why it is a shame that Kyrian's Covenant Legendary is so mediocre. I hope the community will let their grievances about Pact of the Soulstalkers (the Kyrian Legendary) known to the designers, because Kyrian is likely going to be the meta regardless, and it would suck to be stuck playing an exceptionally boring but also bad Legendary.
      Survival
      2 - piece - When Kill Command resets, it has a 40% chance to make your next Wildfire Bomb incur no cooldown.
      4 - piece - Your Wildfire Bombs deal 30% additional damage. This bonus is increased to 80% for bombs empowered by Mad Bombardier
      The 2pc is an absolutely massive AoE and burst AoE boost to Survival. Mythic+ will be particularly fun with this set bonus combination, as you will be able to have your strong uncapped button deal extra damage and not trigger its cooldown. You'll basically become a Bombslinger. I expect this to push Wildfire Infusion to the top for single-target, effectively doing away with Birds of Prey-based builds, which is a massive quality of life boon to a spec that has long been hampered by the inflexibility of its best ST build, and its inability to do good AoE + single target simultaneously. It does mean that the net single target dps increase is a little weak, but that was never Survival's big weakness.

You can read more on Hunters in general in Azortharion's Beast Mastery, Marksmanship and Survival class guides, or check him out over on twitter or twitch!
    • By Starym
      It's been a while, but the hotfixes keep on coming, with some class and Season of Mastery improvements.
      November 30 (Source)
      Classes
      Mage Fixed an issue that prevented Barrier absorb effects from being reduced to their intended values while using Triune Ward (Runecarving Power) in PvP combat. Absorb values should now appropriately match the current tooltip value of 35% effectiveness. Warrior Shattering Throw will no longer deal extra damage beyond the absorb shield when breaking large absorbs. WoW Classic Era and Season of Mastery
      Niby the Almighty now properly teaches the Inferno spell to Warlocks.
    • By Stan
      Patch 9.2 should go live on Public Test Realms this week. Today, the second build of Patch 9.2 arrived on WoW Vendor, but it's encrypted.
      (us) BuildConfig: 7529f34 → f3d27c4 (us) CDNConfig: 93239cc → 191f13e (us) BuildId: 41089 → 41257! (us) VersionsName: 9.2.0.41089 → 9.2.0.41257! (eu) BuildConfig: 7529f34 → f3d27c4 (eu) CDNConfig: 93239cc → 191f13e (eu) BuildId: 41089 → 41257! (eu) VersionsName: 9.2.0.41089 → 9.2.0.41257! (cn) BuildConfig: 7529f34 → f3d27c4 (cn) CDNConfig: 93239cc → 191f13e (cn) BuildId: 41089 → 41257! (cn) VersionsName: 9.2.0.41089 → 9.2.0.41257! (kr) BuildConfig: 7529f34 → f3d27c4 (kr) CDNConfig: 93239cc → 191f13e (kr) BuildId: 41089 → 41257! (kr) VersionsName: 9.2.0.41089 → 9.2.0.41257! (tw) BuildConfig: 7529f34 → f3d27c4 (tw) CDNConfig: 93239cc → 191f13e (tw) BuildId: 41089 → 41257! (tw) VersionsName: 9.2.0.41089 → 9.2.0.41257! (xx) BuildConfig: 7529f34 → f3d27c4 (xx) CDNConfig: 93239cc → 191f13e (xx) BuildId: 41089 → 41257! (xx) VersionsName: 9.2.0.41089 → 9.2.0.41257! Do you think we'll see 9.2 realms up today or on Thursday?
    • By Stan
      In this post, we are looking at the correct model of the Shadowlands PvP Season 3 Gladiator mount coming in Eternity's End.
      Blizzard today confirmed the PvP Season 3 Gladiator mount will use the red tint instead of the blue one, as was originally hinted through datamining. The Season 3 Keystone Master mount is also red-tinted and matches the new PvP Season Gladiator mount model that we preview below.

• By Stan
      Cosmic Gladiator's Soul Eater is a mount rewarded to Gladiators in PvP Season 3 which starts in Patch 9.2.
      UPDATE (Nov 30): Blizzard confirmed in a tweet that the plan is to have the red tint of the mount as a gladiator reward for Season 3, instead of the tint previewed in this article.
      Placeholder for tweet 1465748704527204352 Cosmic Gladiator's Soul Eater - "This soul eater's gaze unnerves you. Best not meet its eyes for too long."
      The Cosmic Gladiator's Soul Eater is a recolor of the existing gladiator soul eater model that were added in Shadowlands.