FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Blizzard Sending Out Classic Burning Crusade Character Creation Surveys

48466-burning-crusade-timewalking-event-

Blizzard has started sending out surveys about Classic Burning Crusade character creation to players, similar to how they handled the Shadowlands level squish surveys back in June 2019 with the goal to find out how the transition from Classic to Burning Crusade would be handled.

Placeholder for tweet 1243639881735327744

The survey contains four options outlined below, although one is currently missing: keep Classic realms at 60 and transfer your existing character to a Burning Crusade realm.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Thinking about the potential ways a player could start a character in "Classic" Burning Crusade, which of the following would you prefer most?

Please select one.

Continue playing my current Classic character on my existing server as it progresses to the Burning Crusade expansion, with the option to transfer to a Classic server that will never progress past level 60.

Start a brand new character from Level 58 on a new Burning Crusade server.

Start a brand new character from Level 1 on a new Burning Crusade server.

Continue playing my current Classic character on my existing server that will never progress past level 60, with the option to transfer to a Burning Crusade server.

None of the above

Retreading old ground again, are we? At this point, I think it'd be better to just fix retail instead of going through all the old expansions one by one.

27 minutes ago, Monlyth said:

Retreading old ground again, are we? At this point, I think it'd be better to just fix retail instead of going through all the old expansions one by one.

You can't fix what is beyond gone and totally changed. Just like Diablo 3. Too many things have changed from the original version that it is no longer recognizable.
Only new big games can get things straight. And while we wait for those games, we can just enjoy the verisons which were good.

4 minutes ago, Alkasar said:

You can't fix what is beyond gone and totally changed. Just like Diablo 3. Too many things have changed from the original version that it is no longer recognizable.
Only new big games can get things straight. And while we wait for those games, we can just enjoy the verisons which were good.

Honestly, I have to disagree. The fundamentals of the old WoW are still there. Legion took some major steps toward reviving what people loved about the game. BFA just went in the wrong direction (Doubling down on dailies, weeklies and RNG, reducing class identity, adding mind-numbing chores like Island Expeditions and Warfronts) after Legion's success.

1 hour ago, Monlyth said:

adding mind-numbing chores like Island Expeditions and Warfronts

Those really puzzle me. Both are really cool experiences. Both of them have new stuff which was pulled off really well. Both feel jolly well polished.

But they're simplistic to the point of, indeed, being mind-numbing after a while. And instead of providing a fun reason to do them, they just get loaded up with essential rewards so you have to do them, mind-numbing or not. 

Both have variable difficulties and even the hard difficulties are boring.

I hope they provide some sort of retrospect on them some day. I'd be honestly curious as to how they ended up like they did, why nothing was done to fix them. 

1 hour ago, Halock said:

Those really puzzle me. Both are really cool experiences. Both of them have new stuff which was pulled off really well. Both feel jolly well polished.

But they're simplistic to the point of, indeed, being mind-numbing after a while. And instead of providing a fun reason to do them, they just get loaded up with essential rewards so you have to do them, mind-numbing or not. 

Both have variable difficulties and even the hard difficulties are boring.

I hope they provide some sort of retrospect on them some day. I'd be honestly curious as to how they ended up like they did, why nothing was done to fix them. 

In my opinion, the problem with Island Expeditions was that you didn't have time to relax and explore the islands when NPCs from the opposing faction would outpace you if you were slacking. And you couldn't just kill the opposing NPCs, because they revive at a graveyard like players do. If it weren't for the opposing faction's presence, you and your group could chill and relax while doing Island Expeditions, instead of stressing out because you're not completing the objectives fast enough. And low-difficulty, chilled-out scenarios can be a pretty fun experience; Scenarios in Mists of Pandaria are proof of that. But when there's a ticking clock on the screen (One that will run out very quickly if you let the opposing NPCs collect Azerite freely), it's an awkward mix between relaxed exploration and intense time trials, with the downsides of both and the benefits of neither.

Warfronts failed because they play like a match of Alterac Valley, but without any opposing players. The objectives are structured like PvP objectives, yet there are no enemy players to interrupt you when you're capturing them. There's no excitement to capturing objectives when there's no chance of being ambushed or disrupted by the opposing team. The thrill of pulling off an effective strategy (Like keeping control of a resource-rich objective) is drastically reduced when you know that you'll win regardless of what strategies you attempt. Warfronts had all of the makings of a great PvP event, but they seemingly forgot to add the PvP.

Edited by Monlyth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Alkasar said:

Diablo III in its current, more or less final state has its fair share of design quirks (sets being almost completely necessary for mid-to-end-game success is awful) but I would take current Diablo III over its original incarnation every single time.

Steering further from the original topic, sorry.

3 hours ago, Monlyth said:

In my opinion, the problem with Island Expeditions was that you didn't have time to relax and explore the islands when NPCs from the opposing faction would outpace you if you were slacking [...] it's an awkward mix between relaxed exploration and intense time trials, with the downsides of both and the benefits of neither.

Completely accurate,. I feel like they might be pretty fun as they are if you could queue for them solo. Then you could explore different ways to achieve the goal and I suspect the difficulty would be compelling.

Forgot to say, actually, but I do find the PvP Islands decent. They're like arenas but more relaxed. Sometimes you barely see the other side. That's pretty cool. Shame there's not a good reward for them. 

3 hours ago, Monlyth said:

Warfronts had all of the makings of a great PvP event, but they seemingly forgot to add the PvP.

I feel like they'd work as PvE experiences they were just more difficult. Even Heroic isn't ever dangerous. It's just a slog you have to pay a little bit of attention to, instead of one you can AFK in. 

The idea of having multiple mini dungeon-bosses across the map that you have to divide your attention between, while simultaneously assessing the risks/rewards for fighting/neglecting them excites me. 

Pounding away for five minutes at a mob with one ability doesn't. 

... Annnnnd to perhaps add something to the topic, I'll ask a question. Is there anybody who'd jump for the 'start a brand new character at level 58' option? Seems like the only one I wouldn't be fine with, myself (though not 100% on starting anew at level 1, either.). 

16 hours ago, Halock said:

Completely accurate,. I feel like they might be pretty fun as they are if you could queue for them solo. Then you could explore different ways to achieve the goal and I suspect the difficulty would be compelling.

I personally just don't see the need to add time pressure to it. Especially not one as intense as the opposing faction NPCs, which can farm Azerite very quickly if left unchecked. Just make it like a 3-man dungeon with no role restrictions. It worked in MoP, and I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

16 hours ago, Halock said:

I feel like they'd work as PvE experiences they were just more difficult. Even Heroic isn't ever dangerous. It's just a slog you have to pay a little bit of attention to, instead of one you can AFK in. 

The idea of having multiple mini dungeon-bosses across the map that you have to divide your attention between, while simultaneously assessing the risks/rewards for fighting/neglecting them excites me. 

Pounding away for five minutes at a mob with one ability doesn't. 

When the group size gets as big as 40 people, players have a tendency to all gather into one gigantic mob and go after the most important objective, with a small handful of players splitting off to accomplish secondary objectives. Asking them to split into multiple groups and coordinate their efforts is usually asking too much from PuGs. So I don't think having to divide the group's attention between multiple bosses at the same time works very well, especially not for PvE PuGs.

Like I said, I think Warfronts would work a lot better as a large-scale PvP event, with high-priority objectives that the two gigantic mobs of players can clash over (Perhaps a fortress that you can break into with a boss NPC inside like Isle of Conquest, or just Arathi Basin or Eye of the Storm-styled control points), and a bunch of less-important secondary objectives for lone-wolf players to go after. 

Edited by Monlyth

That would potentially split player base way too thin, between Classic and BC servers. Then, there is always current expansion, which might also affect one of these to become abandoned by many players (or both). 

Edited by Arcling

I hope they go full progression right up to BfA and whatever else they have planned.   I'm enjoying playing over the old content, but this time I'm dragging my kid along who wasn't around for it the first time.   Sure you can still play all that stuff in retail but its just not the same.

• Like 1

I think it should be either let us transfer to TBC server (ie take over the character at the exact state when you choose to transfer) or clone our classic server character to a TBC one. I am sure there are people that would literally play classic for years so give them a place to enjoy what they like. TBH I have played wow for a about 5 years but missed out on TBC raiding and never even got to play WotLK past the introductory leveling part.