4 posts in this topic

Yo, first time poster. Let's talk about Restless Blades.

There seems to be many viable ways to manipulate your CPs (especially with Anticipation), so it's important to discuss how to keep our CDs on their CDs while also minimizing their total time on CD. This leads to a couple of questions...

When would it be appropriate to blow a five CP finisher, assuming a CD has fewer than ten seconds left to finish (i.e. where it may be good to use said CPs when KS has nine seconds left to finish the CD, and one second would be wasted, it would be better to save our CPs if it had, say, one second left)?

Another common occurrence is where AR and SB may be off CD, but KS has some time left. We know that If we use some finishers to get KS off and back on CD before we use our other two abilities, we would very quickly have another KS after AR and SB. However, we would have of course delayed AR and SB, and that is not good, generally speaking. So, at what point in KS's CD would it be better to delay AR and SB, in order to get a second quick KS?

CD: cooldown

CP: combo point

KS: Killing Spree

AR: Adrenaline Rush

SB: Shadow Blades

1 person likes this

Restless Blades, great topic!

This mechanic is definitely beyond the basics of the Combat rogue, and taking advantage of it can be tricky.

I'm going to lay out five different situations and my thoughts on them. I unfortunately only have my experience to back me up on this, so if any mathmagicians out there want to take a crack at this topic I'd love to see what you've got.

Situation 1: KS will be ready before AD/SB, KS has between 20 and 11 seconds left.

-

You want to keep your energy low, and pool as many combo points as you can. Wait as close to 11 seconds remaining as possible, hit your finisher, SS or RS one more time to dump the energy you got back from Relentless Strikes, and hit your KS. While you are biding your time waiting for 11 seconds, do not let your energy get too high. If you pool too much you will cap out quickly during your KS.

Situation 2: KS will be ready before AD/SB, KS has 10 or fewer seconds left.

-

If you get into this spot it means you probably mismanaged Situation 1. Nevertheless, here you are, and you need a plan. You need to do a fast mental calculation immediately on whether or not you think you have enough combo point room to continue attacking to keep your energy low and not cap out on combo points. If you think you can last the rest of the KS cooldown without combo point capping or gathering too much energy, then try to last it out. If you don't think you can make it, cut your losses and cast your 5 point finisher immediately. The more time you wait, the more Restless Blades benefit you are losing.

Situation 3: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are less than 10 seconds between the two cooldowns.

-

I would delay AD/SB in this situation. Make sure you use your 5 point finisher with 11 or more seconds left on AD/SB, then pool combo points waiting on KS. If you are able to keep your energy low leading into KS that would be ideal.

Situation 4: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are between between 11 and 20 seconds between the two cooldowns.

-

I would still delay AD/SB. You're going to have to use a 5 point finisher to reel in that KS cooldown, but the benefit of fewer wasted RB reductions on your Killing Spree will outweigh one missed RB reduction on AD/SB along with a small CD delay. Treat the situation the same as Situation 3, just with an added 5 point finisher.

Situation 5: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are more than 20 seconds between the two cooldowns.

-

You can't stand to delay AD/SB at this point. Not only will you have to waste the RB benefit on AD/SB twice, but you could be looking at a 15+ second delay on the cooldown. It's possible to reduce that time, but you'd be entering the cooldown with low combo points and low energy, which is even worse. Properly use RB into your AD/SB cooldown and eat the difference on your KS cooldown.

What do you think?

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply. You actually confirmed a lot of what I have believed, but I will keep situation 5 in mind from now on during my raids. As for situation 2, it would be very nice to know where it would be worth it to waste the seconds on RB, in terms of mathematical value instead of theory.

I spent a bit of time trying to develop a formula that would give some guidelines on how long you can hold on on the KS cooldown at any particular energy/combo point level, and I quickly realized that it's not that easy. Rogues, especially Combat Rogues, have such a murky range of energy and combo point granting abilities that it's very hard to pinpoint a general rate of energy and combo point production over time. Even if I could wade through all of the chances to come up with an average, your experience between one situation and another with exactly the same variables could be wildly different. Maybe for 6 seconds you get no Sinister Strike crits and your Combat Potency procs less than usual. Maybe next time for 6 seconds you crit like crazy and Combat Potency floods you with energy.

I guess I've developed a sense of whether I'm likely to be able to ride out the remaining time from testing and seeing the result many, many times over. So, unfortunately that's all I can give you for Situation 2. 

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chumani

Lok'tar ogar raiders! Chumani here from Corrupted Destiny guild on Skywall/Drak'thul realms. We are currently recruiting for our progression raid. We are 4/10 Heroic Nighthold (10/10 N NH in about 2 hours).
      We want you all, but emphasis on the following which I will list in priority:
      1 Full time tank
      1 Dps/Part time tank as needed
      1 Full time heals
      Item level required for these positions is ilvl 880+ (prefer ilvl 885+)
      This is the PRIORITY list...... as always we are recruiting raiders and non raiders.
      Our raid schedule is Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday 6:30pm to 9:00pm server time(pst)
      We currently have an "Alt" raid for alts and non-progression raiders on Mondays at the same time! MEGA amounts of fun there, alot of us use our mains to carry this raid and help gear these raiders up!
      Other guild events include: Herb Drives, Fishing Expo, Mog off! (Best transmog wins), Old Raids for Transmog gear & Mythic Plus runs.  We do random guild events with prizes up to and including a FREE MONTH OF WOW!
      We have quite a bit of fun when we get together, as we always have over the years! Come join us and get corrupted (Disclaimer: Infections have been found to be the leading cause of corruption in many raiders)! We've always been here and will continue to be here!  Of course you will be required to sacrifice a goat or an alliance player once a week to the Horde gods..... You will also be required to laugh and have fun as well! Here is a little bit of 'who' we are ..... from last expansion...... we do have fun!
      So.......COME.......GET.......CORRUPTED!
      Swiper#1939 - Deni#1743 - Loki#15391
      http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=246149
    • By eternalsoulz666
      <Judgment Day>
      Recruiting:
      2 Healers - Preferably Paladin/Monk (However will still look at other options. DPS off-spec would be nice too!) 2 Melee - Any class will be considered. 2 Ranged - Any class will be considered.
        Progression:
      Emerald Nightmare
      7/7N / 7/7H
      Trial of Valor
      3/3N
      Nighthold
      10/10N 3/10H

Requirements:
      On US-Proudmoore or willing to server transfer. Knowledge and understanding of your class. DBM/WeakAuras/RCLootCouncil Being on time and being able to attend raid days preferably 10-15 minutes before start time. (90% attendance is acceptable, however until we have more people on our team 100% is strongly encouraged as we don't have the numbers to have people not show up)
        Schedule:*
      **ALL TIMES ARE IN EASTERN STANDARD TIME**
      Friday 8:00-10:00PM (EST) Saturday 8:00-11:00PM (EST) Sunday 5:00-8:00PM (EST)
        *Raiders/Trials will be provided with full guild repairs during raid hours.
      About Us:
      Judgment Day was formed recently by a group of friends that needed more progression than their previous guild were providing for us. We strive to excel at what we do and want to progress through the current content offered to us as it is released & complete it before the release of the next raid tier.
      Our progress through the raids were preformed by the same raid team however in a different guild. We also enjoy running Mythic+ and the occasional battleground.
      We are willing to accept casuals that aren't interested in raiding and just want a chill environment to hang out in.
      Battle.Net:
      EternalSoulz#1946
      http://www.judgmentday.shivtr.com Please apply using our website. Once your application has been reviewed a officer will contact you in-game (b.net) or via the comments section in your application.
    • By Ithok
      About us...
      Geek Squad is a swedish guild that has been around for many years. We are currently focusing on mythic raiding and our goal is to always clear the current content before the release of the next tier. The guild is composed mainly of former hardcore raiders who can't play as much as in our younger days but who still want to play, have fun and have a good progression. Since we raid only 2 days a week we expect our raiders to have a high attendance and to be well prepared for current content. 
      Raid schedule...
      Thursday 19–22
      Sunday 18-22
      What do we expect from you:
      - Swedish speaker; as the guild solely consists of swedish players we expect you to have a good understanding of the swedish language and be able to communicate on both voicecom and chat.
      - Attendance; as we only raid 2 days a week and keep a tight roster of raiders (not more then few on the bench at time) so being there and available even if not selected for certain boss is very important
      - Maturity; as the average age in Geek Squad is a bit above most guilds we would prefer if you are as well. We are a bunch of guys with families, jobs and real lives outside of the game and we understand all that comes with it. However if you are to commit to raiding with us we want you to be in it for the long haul. We focus on having fun with the game while also maintaining a competitive attitude, we hope you want to be a part of and contribute to that.
      - Social skills; be communicative, enjoy the game, let us know in advance if something is going to interfere with your raiding schedule so that we can plan accordingly. In our own modest opinions we have one of the best guild environments you can be a part of and we want to bring in more people who can positively contribute to that.
      - Know your class inside out and how to perform it to its maximum. Be able to take constructive criticism
      What can we offer you:
      - Stable guild; the guild has been around for a long time and we have no plans to slow down now.
      -We always try to bring the players that will give us the most chance of killing a boss on progression fights, this means you will have the same chance as everyone else of competing for a spot.
      - Experienced and motivated players; most of our raiders have played the game for a long time (vanilla/tbc) and are still highly motivated to get the most of the raiding time that we have together. If you are to join us we expect you to do everything you can to further those goals.
      - Occasional alt raids, not mandatory. Totally optional for people who want a little bit more raiding on side with their alts
      PROGRESS:
      Emerald Nightmare: 7/7
      Trial of Valor: 2/3
      Nighthold: 3/10 (10/10 HC farming on off days)
      RECRUITMENT:
      We are currently looking mainly for range dps classes and a rogue, we don't have an application form as we feel that is an old and inefficient way of doing recruitment. Instead we focus on interviews as well as going through a bit of logs. We dont expect you to consistently parse in the 90% but at least showing that you know your class well.
      - MAGE (high)
      - BALANCE DRUID(high)
      - HUNTER (high)
      - WARLOCK(low)
      - Shadow Priest(low)
      - Elemental Shaman(low)
      - ROGUE(low)
      If you are interested feel free to contact us.
      How to apply:
      To apply contact Ithok#2898, Krebb#2944, kebban#21852 or whisper an officer ingame.
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon!