FORUMS
positiv2

Beast Mastery Hunter PvE

On 1/15/2021 at 5:25 PM, Azortharion said:

Hey, can you elaborate? The current BiS List has Raid Gear just like MM, it is the same format.

Hi, i apologise, when i alst looked  i only saw dungeons BiS, i didnt see raid Bis also, my apologies, thanks 🙂

Some people here are coming across as very petulant and toxic.

Chill!

Hunter tends to be quite easy to play, and one person is more than capable of keeping both guides up to date, especially someone as well versed in the class as Azor.

The reason he, and most others, main MM ATM is purely down to output. I was a BM main for all of BfA, but I've switched to MM so far, mainly down to damage potential, as BM sadly is a far cry from MM's damage in raids.

And I'd STILL be able to switch specs to BM and play it optimally, if the spec was buffed to make it competitive with MM.

As any competent Hunter should be able to.

And no, the incoming 5% buff is at least HALF of what BM needs to be in the same ballpark. It'll get close in a couple of fights, but still behind MM overall by quite a margin.

Good Guide for a starting build. You don't take into account our soft caps for Haste and Crit. I sim the soft cap for haste at around 17.9% and Crit at a hard 25%. They are very easy numbers to hit as the IL goes up. Vers becomes number 1 secondary when haste hits that percentage and the gap becomes more with the higher Item level gear.  I have a feeling (not sim'ed) 1/3 of our best in slots for PVE come from PVP Gear (high Ver/Low Haste) at IL 226+.  

3 hours ago, Saravall said:

Good Guide for a starting build. You don't take into account our soft caps for Haste and Crit. I sim the soft cap for haste at around 17.9% and Crit at a hard 25%. They are very easy numbers to hit as the IL goes up. Vers becomes number 1 secondary when haste hits that percentage and the gap becomes more with the higher Item level gear.  I have a feeling (not sim'ed) 1/3 of our best in slots for PVE come from PVP Gear (high Ver/Low Haste) at IL 226+.  

There are no soft caps for Crit or Haste, and Versatility will never be the #1 secondary.

There is nothing magical that happens with Crit at 25%, therefore it is logically impossible for there to be a soft cap there.

The same goes for Haste at 17.9%. Nothing happens at 17.9%, it is a completely arbitrary number. There are no "spikes" in Haste value at 17.9% or any other Haste amount, nor are there points when the stat value line "breaks" and value beyond X point is reduced.

On 2/4/2021 at 9:59 PM, Azortharion said:

There are no soft caps for Crit or Haste, and Versatility will never be the #1 secondary.

There is nothing magical that happens with Crit at 25%, therefore it is logically impossible for there to be a soft cap there.

The same goes for Haste at 17.9%. Nothing happens at 17.9%, it is a completely arbitrary number. There are no "spikes" in Haste value at 17.9% or any other Haste amount, nor are there points when the stat value line "breaks" and value beyond X point is reduced.

Siming my gear (raidbots) before equipping it, shows that i should take versatility over any other stat since i reached around 17% haste. So what should i do? what the sim says or take haste above all else?

On 2/17/2021 at 3:48 PM, Haldhur said:

Siming my gear (raidbots) before equipping it, shows that i should take versatility over any other stat since i reached around 17% haste. So what should i do? what the sim says or take haste above all else?

Definitely follow your sim, assuming it's a top gear sim and not a stat weights one. 

Guest BQ22

I disagree that none of the Finesse Conduits can help DPS.  Reversal of Fortune grants focus when you Counter Shot.  And since Counter Shot use is free, so is the focus.

On 2/25/2021 at 3:31 AM, Guest BQ22 said:

I disagree that none of the Finesse Conduits can help DPS.  Reversal of Fortune grants focus when you Counter Shot.  And since Counter Shot use is free, so is the focus.

While true, it is rather negligible when you are generating hundreds if not a thousand+ Focus per fight, and most Raid Bosses do not have any Interrrupts for you to do altogether.

Guest Shoonie

Hello, I was wondering in regards to the Skulker's Wing trinket please. I got this tonight and it's simming as a nearly 3% upgrade, but I was under the impression that it was for melee specs, but I see it here on the list for BM trinkets? For BM to use it, wouldn't we have to get up close to the target every time we used it? I can't find any other information on it so I'd really appreciate that clarification on how to use and if it indeed is a valid trinket to use. Thank you!

On 2/27/2021 at 4:47 AM, Guest Shoonie said:

Hello, I was wondering in regards to the Skulker's Wing trinket please. I got this tonight and it's simming as a nearly 3% upgrade, but I was under the impression that it was for melee specs, but I see it here on the list for BM trinkets? For BM to use it, wouldn't we have to get up close to the target every time we used it? I can't find any other information on it so I'd really appreciate that clarification on how to use and if it indeed is a valid trinket to use. Thank you!

I do not recommend using this trinket at all for the reason you mentioned - it works in melee range only.

Guest Lestaria

It appears that Rylastalker's Piercing Fangs may be best legendary once 9.05 is released.  Comments?

10 minutes ago, Guest Lestaria said:

It appears that Rylastalker's Piercing Fangs may be best legendary once 9.05 is released.  Comments?

The guide will be updated around 9.0.5 Launch to be relevant for all updates. I do not like to speculate or comment on unreleased content. Until the patch is live, things may still change both from a tuning PoV and from a knowledge PoV.

Guest SoB vs OWtP talents

On dummy testing, I have found that with higher haste (23% unbuffed) I can proc barbed shot slightly more using One with the Pack than I do with Scent of blood. I suspect it because of the global cooldown reduction for auto shot...

6 hours ago, Guest SoB vs OWtP talents said:

On dummy testing, I have found that with higher haste (23% unbuffed) I can proc barbed shot slightly more using One with the Pack than I do with Scent of blood. I suspect it because of the global cooldown reduction for auto shot...

Crit is mostly what determines OWTB value and you need a lot of it to make it viable, more than what anyone can really achieve without sacrificing way too much of other stats.

Guest Rank 1 hunter SL

Can we get and update on talents etc. its says killer cobra is nogo, but its bis ST right now :-) ty

9 minutes ago, Guest Rank 1 hunter SL said:

Can we get and update on talents etc. its says killer cobra is nogo, but its bis ST right now 🙂 ty

Killer Cobra is not generally the best single-target talent, that would be Bloodshed. With certain combinations (especially but not always with Dire Command), Killer Cobra beats it and I will update the guide to reflect that.

Guest Sil

Shadowlands added Mammoth as a new hunter pet category. They are Tenacity pets with the Trample ability, which is the same as Slow/Snare. Please add them to the Tenacity Pets table on the Spell Summary page. Thank you.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:47 AM, Guest Sil said:

Shadowlands added Mammoth as a new hunter pet category. They are Tenacity pets with the Trample ability, which is the same as Slow/Snare. Please add them to the Tenacity Pets table on the Spell Summary page. Thank you.

Thank you, will add them in!

Guest Gingon

"since you have no active Focus generators" - erm Barbed Shot generates 20 focus?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, Guest Gingon said:

"since you have no active Focus generators" - erm Barbed Shot generates 20 focus?!?!?!?

Indeed, but it is hardly passive since it does so over its duration, and you have ~100% uptime on Barbed Shot. So it is better to think of it as passive focus regen. You never "actively" press Barbed Shot for the explicit purpose of generating more Focus.

Guest Hawk

I'm doing a lot of mythic+ keys lately and I'm a bit unsure what will be the best setup for doing competitive AOE damage as beastmaster. I'm Nightfae and I tested the Korayn soulbind with first strike. It seems to work quite well but I'm not sure how the first strike ability works in detail. Means, if I throw in a multishot on a pack for having beastcleave I assume this will count as first skrike for all enemies hit and so it will only proc once. 

Any tips for M+ as beastmaster for optimal AOE damage? 

6 minutes ago, Guest Hawk said:

I'm doing a lot of mythic+ keys lately and I'm a bit unsure what will be the best setup for doing competitive AOE damage as beastmaster. I'm Nightfae and I tested the Korayn soulbind with first strike. It seems to work quite well but I'm not sure how the first strike ability works in detail. Means, if I throw in a multishot on a pack for having beastcleave I assume this will count as first skrike for all enemies hit and so it will only proc once. 

Any tips for M+ as beastmaster for optimal AOE damage? 

Both Soulbinds are competitive, but First Strike does suffer from the problem you mention which also makes it very difficult to simulate, since AoE simulations have constantly spawning new targets, when that's not really how M+ works.

I can't think of any AoE tips that aren't covered by the guide. At the end of the day if you do what the guide says perfectly, then you're doing a perfect rotation. Most common mistakes include sub-100% uptime on Beast Cleave, and poor Frenzy uptime, and those are also the most impactful. Many people will let Beast Cleave drop for 0.5-1s every 4 seconds, not realizing that this is a massive loss of uptime since it's a short buff to begin with.

Guest Outatime67

Hi,

I just did a target dummy test with ONLY pet auto attack.  Animal Companion did substantially less DPS than Killer Instinct (I used it just to turn off Animal Companion, I used no key strokes).  That being the case, I don't see Animal Companion outperforming one of the other options.  Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Guest Outatime67 said:

Hi,

I just did a target dummy test with ONLY pet auto attack.  Animal Companion did substantially less DPS than Killer Instinct (I used it just to turn off Animal Companion, I used no key strokes).  That being the case, I don't see Animal Companion outperforming one of the other options.  Or am I missing something?

Animal Companion increases your pets' Auto Attack and Kill Command damage by 20%, but reduces the damage done by its Basic Attack (Claw, Bite, Smack) by 40%.

By not pressing any buttons, you only got the benefit on the Auto Attack, and not Kill Command (which you need to be pressing to get damage from), so you got less DPS from Animal Companion.