FORUMS
positiv2

Marksmanship Hunter PvE

Guest Spurf

Thank you so much for the guide and constant replies to questions. 

I'm wondering about simming steady focus vs streamline. I'm personally not fan of keeping the buff up every 15 sec. I can do it, I just don't like the playstyle. So quiet often I find myself playing streamline. Also my current gear setup has less haste, so the dps difference from not running steady focus is less punishing.  

I know almost all hunters just look at the guide and blindly lock in suggested talents or follow majority, but I would like to bring some math and sims to the table. I can sim the 2 talents vs each other, however the sims accounts for very high uptime on steady focus (at least 90%). Is it possible to set a lower uptime on an aura? I'm curious how dps difference looks at different uptime intervals. If I example only had 80% uptime on steady focus. 

Guest Guest

First of all, thanks a lot for your very helpful guides!

I was just wondering how to optimally use a 3-min on-use trinket (quantum) with a 2-min on-use one (wakener's frond). Should I use quantum with the first trueshot then use frond on cooldown (ideally 20 sec after quantum)? But then to align frond with the second trueshot, I need to postpone trueshot by 20sec. Is it worth it?

Thanks

On 1/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, Guest Spurf said:

Thank you so much for the guide and constant replies to questions. 

I'm wondering about simming steady focus vs streamline. I'm personally not fan of keeping the buff up every 15 sec. I can do it, I just don't like the playstyle. So quiet often I find myself playing streamline. Also my current gear setup has less haste, so the dps difference from not running steady focus is less punishing.  

I know almost all hunters just look at the guide and blindly lock in suggested talents or follow majority, but I would like to bring some math and sims to the table. I can sim the 2 talents vs each other, however the sims accounts for very high uptime on steady focus (at least 90%). Is it possible to set a lower uptime on an aura? I'm curious how dps difference looks at different uptime intervals. If I example only had 80% uptime on steady focus. 

It is not possible to set a lower uptime on Steady Focus in the sims. But you can napkin math and simplify it a little bit. 100% uptime on 7% Haste is ~7% damage done. The sims get 90-95%, let's say 92.5%, so the talent increases our damage by 6.5% at the uptime it sims at.

Now look at how big the DPS difference in sims is. For me it's 3%, so I would need to almost halve my actual Steady Focus uptime for Streamline to pull ahead. Roughly speaking.

53 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

First of all, thanks a lot for your very helpful guides!

I was just wondering how to optimally use a 3-min on-use trinket (quantum) with a 2-min on-use one (wakener's frond). Should I use quantum with the first trueshot then use frond on cooldown (ideally 20 sec after quantum)? But then to align frond with the second trueshot, I need to postpone trueshot by 20sec. Is it worth it?

Thanks

The short answer is not to use those trinkets together unless it sims the best for you by quite a margin. You'd prioritize syncing Quantum up every time as it's stronger, and Frond is second priority.

Guest Macros

Are the MM macros a joke or something? You wrote macros that do the same thing as the spell you take from the book? Are you a hunter alt?

23 minutes ago, Guest Macros said:

Are the MM macros a joke or something? You wrote macros that do the same thing as the spell you take from the book? Are you a hunter alt?

Can you point to an example?

Guest Niya nerf :(

With the recent hotfix to niya's burrs not doing multi target anymore, is it still worth picking it over the 2nd potency conduit and other final trait?

1 hour ago, Guest Niya nerf :( said:

With the recent hotfix to niya's burrs not doing multi target anymore, is it still worth picking it over the 2nd potency conduit and other final trait?

I have updated the guide to reflect this nerf. M+ meta is the only thing that changes.

3 minutes ago, catpokemon said:

Is it possible to organize the BiS list into two separate tables for M+ and Raid? Other guides have them separately and it's easier to read them that way.

Feedback noted, you're not the first to mention it so I will change it.

• Like 1

Guest Asteropeia

The linked spell for the anima power Necrotic Venom is incorrect - it links to a different ability of the same name that is used by Renferal in Emerald Nightmare. The correct item ID is 331192.

Guest Brandon

Just wondering why there is no mention of Kill Shot in the easy mode guide?

9 hours ago, Guest Brandon said:

Just wondering why there is no mention of Kill Shot in the easy mode guide?

That is an oversight and will be fixed, thank you for submitting feedback!

On 2/9/2021 at 6:27 AM, Guest Asteropeia said:

The linked spell for the anima power Necrotic Venom is incorrect - it links to a different ability of the same name that is used by Renferal in Emerald Nightmare. The correct item ID is 331192.

Will refer this to the top as well!

Guest Barut

Kleia (Kyrian) tree now looks different and Pointed Courage looks very good. Can you update the usefulness against Pelagos?

6 hours ago, Guest Barut said:

Kleia (Kyrian) tree now looks different and Pointed Courage looks very good. Can you update the usefulness against Pelagos?

No buffs have been given to Kleia that I can see. What are you referring to that would make Pointed Courage better?

Guest Barut

So would you still prefer Pelagos given now people have a lot more gear and do you expect blizz to buff some of these and try to balance them out?

On 2/19/2021 at 8:39 PM, Guest Barut said:

So would you still prefer Pelagos given now people have a lot more gear and do you expect blizz to buff some of these and try to balance them out?

Kleia does not have superior gear scaling to Pelagos in any meaningful way, so I don't expect it to overtake Pelagos.

I do not expect buffs/nerfs as they are not imbalanced enough by Blizzards standards in my estimation. 

Guest Kathucka

I disagree with the recommendation to use AoE talents for Sire Denathrius.

While they are useful for Phase 1, Phase 2 is mostly single-target, and is a race.  Phase 3 is entirely single-target, unless you carry over any of the adds, and it's very much a single-target DPS race.

The DPS check threshold ramps up.  If your raid has enough DPS to beat Phase 3, you have far more than enough to beat the check in Phase 1, even with single-target talents.  In fact, it's likely that it will need to stop damage in P1.

Also, if you can switch targets effectively in Phase 2, you can hit Remornia with Aimed Shot in Phase 2 to take advantage of Careful Aim, which is nice.  Granted, that's no help in Phase 3, while Explosive Shot does help a little there.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:39 PM, Guest Barut said:
15 minutes ago, Guest Kathucka said:

I disagree with the recommendation to use AoE talents for Sire Denathrius.

While they are useful for Phase 1, Phase 2 is mostly single-target, and is a race.  Phase 3 is entirely single-target, unless you carry over any of the adds, and it's very much a single-target DPS race.

The DPS check threshold ramps up.  If your raid has enough DPS to beat Phase 3, you have far more than enough to beat the check in Phase 1, even with single-target talents.  In fact, it's likely that it will need to stop damage in P1.

Also, if you can switch targets effectively in Phase 2, you can hit Remornia with Aimed Shot in Phase 2 to take advantage of Careful Aim, which is nice.  Granted, that's no help in Phase 3, while Explosive Shot does help a little there.

Phase 2 is not a dps race. Once you have clean pulls, it is nearly always the case that you need to stop dps in order to not push too quickly. 

Phase 3 is a tough, meaningful damage check where Careful Aim is the equivalent of having no talent. 

Additionally, a lot of Lock and Load's value over Volley comes from Careful Aim, which is useless in P3. Therefore Volley will always be the pick for the fight. The pure single-target dps loss in p3 is negligible because you gain so much overall damage in p2. Given the presence of 2+ targets in all of P2, Volley will always be better there, even if boss damage is your only concern (which it has no reason to be). 

Explosive Shot vs Careful Aim is debatable, but given how much tougher of a check that p3 is compared to p1 and P2 (both of which you will often need to stop dps even on prog), it is superior for more people than not. 

I personally played Explosive Shot for my first kill on Sire Mythic, and the single-target weapon enchant, since p3 damage was a major problem for us (we lost hall of fame on last night before reset to a 500k enrage wipe with everyone alive). For farm, I am playing Careful Aim because it is more overall dps (since it is so strong in P2 mainly, even with major dps stops). 

Guest SSpyR

How much currently would the DPS lose be from switching to Necrolord instead of Night Fae, I understand Night Fae is the meta choice but if one were to switch how much value is being lost losing Niya and Wild Spirits?

15 hours ago, Guest SSpyR said:

How much currently would the DPS lose be from switching to Necrolord instead of Night Fae, I understand Night Fae is the meta choice but if one were to switch how much value is being lost losing Niya and Wild Spirits?

Hey. You can sim it for your own character on Raidbots.com > Top Gear. Select "Unlock all Soulbinds" and "Conduits" as well, then simply select all relevant options in both Necrolord and Night Fae Soulbind Trees.

I'd expect 3-6%.

Guest Crit Vs Agility?

I'm having trouble finding agility vs crit weighting. This guide doesn't mention agility in the stat priority but other guides I've found indicate it's superior. Would the 16 crit gem outperform the 7 agility gem? Based on my admittedly limited understanding of damage per point for each (haven't found any estimates, but what I've found generally suggests primary > secondary) would the BFA agility gem be better or worse than the SL crit gem? Not super knowledgeable about simming and I haven't been able to figure out how to compare them.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Guest Crit Vs Agility? said:

I'm having trouble finding agility vs crit weighting. This guide doesn't mention agility in the stat priority but other guides I've found indicate it's superior. Would the 16 crit gem outperform the 7 agility gem? Based on my admittedly limited understanding of damage per point for each (haven't found any estimates, but what I've found generally suggests primary > secondary) would the BFA agility gem be better or worse than the SL crit gem? Not super knowledgeable about simming and I haven't been able to figure out how to compare them.

Thanks!

Hey. Yeah, our stat page ranks our Secondary Stats, but not the Primary one since they are considered separate and do not really compete with each other. Gems specifically are covered in the Gems & Enchants page (which addresses the 16 Crit gem vs 7 Agility gem problem), where 16 Crit is suggested simply because of the quantity of stats.

Guest Bortius

Hey, Nice and Thanks alot for your Guide, I have 2 questions And I'm very grateful if you answer، in My MM Hunter character i have 28%crit, 6%haste,18% mastery And 2%leech And Unfortunately 0%versatility And My question is as a mm Hunter i need How much % to versatility in pve? And If I want to add to the amount of my versatility 
What should I reduce?

Pls, tell us How much % we need for Crit And mastery And haste and versa

And My question B is we Know Wild Spirits have 2 min cd while Resonating arrow have 1min cd And plus arcane damages offer 30%crit for 10 sec And 325 mastery in 10~19 sec i think a mm Hunter can not refuse this great offer And Of course, considering that Niya also offer 400 mastery too so why did not Choose Kyrian? ، I am very grateful for your time
And thank you for your answer