Krushinator

Why You Should Learn All Three Specs

6 posts in this topic

The pure DPS classes that I raided with in the past have all had different attitudes about how they pick and switch between their specs. I have been a part of my guild for almost 5 years now, and from watching literally hundreds of players come and go from raids, I have noticed some patterns in these attitudes.

The Mages were the most fiercely resistant to spec swapping for different encounters during a patch. They either had emotional attachments to a spec, some kind of problem with the rotation of other specs, or some amount of math and theory to back up their choice.

The Warlocks seemed to intentionally avoid learning how to play other specs so they wouldn't have to change from their current. For the most part the Warlocks I've played with were aware of the advantages of one spec or another in a given situation, but they didn't swap anyway.

The Hunters seemed to consistently have a clearly dominant spec for all situations. For one reason or another one spec would just fire out ahead of the others and all the Hunters would switch. A few were resistant, but most switched once per patch and didn't switch back.

The Rogues I raided with I would equate closest to the Warlocks, with a few differences. We have the unique problem among the pure DPS classes of being hamstrung by weapon type for spec swapping (not in 6.0! Yay!), which I believe contributes to a lot of Rogues not playing the correct spec for the correct encounter. Once a Rogue has all the weapons required, they will often swap between Assassination and Combat as necessary to get better cleave damage or better single target damage. Subtlety, after all the simplifying and math that shows how viable and in some cases superior it is, still has the stigma of being the overly hard spec that doesn't match Assassination in single target.

Since weapons will no longer be a barrier to spec swapping for Rogues, this is the perfect time to put your energy into learning all three of your specs. Especially at a higher level of play, each spec offers very unique benefits that can make or break a progression encounter.

So, why should you learn all three specs? In my experience, there have been opportunities in every tier of raiding for one or more variations of all three specs to shine through. You can't just care about theoretical Patchwerk DPS, you have to consider the strengths and weaknesses of each spec and playstyle against the scenarios presented by each boss. Sometimes it isn't about maxing out your overall DPS, sometimes it's about even DPS across multiple targets, or burst DPS on a critical mob. You will feel like a raiding genius if your raid is having a problem with a mechanic and you're able to switch your spec to fix it. You will feel like a scrub if your raid leader asks you to switch specs to help with that mechanic, and you have to tell them that you can't, because you don't know how.

Subtlety has two somewhat distinct play styles; sustained single target and burst single target. All the same spells are used, but the priorities are different. Sustained single target DPS is what is described in our class guides, burst play is a little more nuanced. This is something you'll want to know for a boss that spawns an add that must die as quickly as possible, but has enough health to live more than 4 seconds (unfortunately, most adds these days die too quickly). I won't go into the details here because it would muck up the thread, but if you'd like me to I can make a separate post about it.

Assassination has an underused multi target play style which amounts to Rupture spreading. The reason this play style has vanished is because Combat for some reason now has a higher sustained single target DPS rotation than Assassination does, theoretically. Going forward I would not count on this being the case. Multi-Rupture rotation for Assassination is great for a fight where there is one available target for parts of the fight, and there are 1 to 2 other grouped up targets for other parts of the fight. The concept for this play style is easier than Subtlety burst, and I'll go through it in detail if anyone wants to read about it.

Combat, well, there's one way to play Combat. Cleave city. I wish there was more variety and more functionality for this spec, but there isn't. Enjoy your Galakras ranks (if Warlocks and Ele Shamans ever stop being insane for AoE).

Learning all of your possibilities isn't about ranking or forcing them into situations, it's about having options and being the best you can be in a specific scenario. Maybe one week on Norushen your group is having a terrible time killing the Amalgam's, so you switch to Subtlety during the break to help with the burst. Maybe the next week they are fine, so you switch back to single target Combat. If the group isn't killing tiny adds on Sha of Pride well enough late in the fight, you could switch away from single target Subtlety to a mass AoE Assassination play style. Knowledge of your own class will weasel you through progression kills; I've done it myself a number of times.

Combat, well, there's one way to play Combat. Cleave city. I wish there was more variety and more functionality for this spec, but there isn't. Enjoy your Galakras ranks (if Warlocks and Ele Shamans ever stop being insane for AoE).

This, although If the RNG favors me I can beat locks and shaman. Just not that often.

Changing specs for each fight isn't required for all but the most hardcore progression types. The specs are so similar in performance that simply being dedicated to a spec and playing well can overcome most advantage any one spec has in a fight. The exception would probably have been combat in 5.0, where you could use combat daggers (big no-no) and still outperform your main spec on cleave fights. Which was why it was nerfed.

The best players are going to know every spec inside and out and can perform them flawlessly. For the mortal majority however, simply being good at the spec you enjoy and focusing your remaining attention on fight mechanic is more than enough to overcome the advantages of switching specs in most cases.

I agree with WaveFunctionP here, not that I really have played a rouge, but it makes sence that you shuld go whit the spec that you like the most and are moste comfterbel with, otherwise you might find your self in a situation were you miss something important in the fight and die due to having to concentrate on your rotation to much or you are preforming worse beacuse you dont know when to use cds in the new spec for exampel. Oh and btw, the "you in here referse to a general "you" not specific, just wanted to be clear :P

•  

It's true that the specs perform very similarly... at this point in time on a Patchwerk fight. It's true that being at your top potential for one spec is usually good enough. However, this leaves you having to relearn your class when an ability gets nerfed, a new raid is released, or your guild hits a progression wall.

Dragon Soul was a great example. If you wanted cruise control for mediocre, you played Assassination. As long as your raid leader assigned you to hit the boss only, you could perform respectably on -almost- every boss. If you were a more skilled rogue you could get away with single target Subtlety on -almost- every boss.

For the Assassination rogues, the wall was Spine of Deathwing. Suddenly you couldn't just whale on the boss for 7 minutes straight; you needed burst damage. Suddenly where Subtlety and Assassination were fairly close together, Subtlety was the completely superior spec. If all you knew at that point was Assassination spec, you were setting your guild back potentially for weeks. For the Subtlety rogues, the wall was Ultraxion. No Backstab, no Ambush. If you didn't know another spec at that point, you were screwed.

Knowing your specs and potentials isn't just for top 50 world rankers. It's for those times when your raid cannot succeed without a specific task being performed, and you as a player have the tools to adapt and do the job.

A rogue can play every fight as combat, and do quite well. Combat has the greatest AoE potential of all the specs, and still retains good single target. However, it is typically not optimal to just play combat for every fight (I believe that it is for the best to do so in SoO, but this is also atypical). If assassination were to get ahead in single target dps during a tier, then it would be best to swap between assassination and combat, unless assassination was able to do enough single target dps to outweigh the benefit of having combat's AoE, which may have been the case during ToT. I think that, in actuality, it is best to know every spec, but less for the purpose of switching between specs on any given fight (keeping in mind that you can only optimize gemming/enchanting for one spec, anyway), and more for the purpose of being able to play a spec when it becomes the strongest for a tier.

Edited by Nastynelbur

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Summary of the latest Q/A with Game Director Ion Hazzikostas about Patch 7.3.5 and beyond.
      Watch Now
      No questions about WoW Classic will be answered in this Q/A. In BfA, the Azerite system adds depth and customization that was used for Tier sets. For Battle for Azeroth, a lot of art variety will be added to the armor. There will be 1 appearance per armor type though, but more variety across zones. For transmog collectors it means more customization. There will be unique trinkets from raids. Azerite armor from raids will provide properties that can be found only in raids. Assembling people and maintaining schedule needs to feel worthwhile and properly rewarding. Patch 7.3.5 TL;DR: We'll see zone scaling, Legion epilogue quest content, Ulduar Timewalking and a preview of the new Silithus battleground (Seething Shore). In BfA, the focus shifts from racial identity to the faction conflict. Unlocking Allied races is more story-driven. Reputation barriers will be lifted. Doing the campaign should suffice. Heritage armor is restricted to races. More Allied races will be added in the future, but they want to add those that make sense story-wise first. Hunched races - Orc is the big one here. From the early beginning, we saw Thrall / Saurfang that had proper posture and it was a repeated request and they totally understand it. Darskpear Trolls will remain hunched - it's a part of the troll silhouette. Zandalari Trolls are upright though. Prestige system in BfA? They're looking at how the feeling of progression has been in Legion and are re-evaluating a lot of stuff. They want to make sure Prestige rewards are still available. Artifact skins in BfA  will be spec-restricted. Far fewer Legendary items will be seen in BfA, Blizzard will make them where it makes sense. As of now, they have no specific Legendaries in mind. No plans to change the Mythic raid size at the moment. The raid structure remained the same in Warlords, Legion and the trend will continue in BfA. They want to explore an option to enable Mythic cross-server raiding sooner. The team feels that Tomb of Sargeras was too difficult on Mythic difficulty. A few months after Antorus opens, there will be nerfs to Aggramar and Argus the Unmaker on Mythic. Is Aman'Thul's Vision personal loot? There's value in preserving discovery. We'll see in two weeks. When Mythic Antorus opens (Dec 5), you'll be able to get Mythic rewards up to +15. Order Hall Cache rewards will be retroactive.  Will Titanforging still allow you to get Mythic quality gear in Normal raids? Yes. It's about the moment of surprise. While you can still get a lucky drop, the Mythic raider is in all cases better geared than that lucky player. Odds of Titanforging will be looked into. They think it's happening too often. The idea of upward loot scaling is being carried forward. The hard cap on Titanforging would limit progression. World PvP will be revitalized in BfA. Creating a space where players who are looking for PvP can more reliably run across each other is the priority right here. Some players don't want to server transfer, yet they are stuck on servers with faction imbalance. The current thinking is to preserve the identity of RP-PvP communities. Legion is the expansion that brought the biggest class changes to World of Warcraft. It's jarring to come back only to see your class vastly reworked. Demonology will see a significant rework and Survival Hunter (the execution of the fantasy will be looked into). In terms of class changes, a good analogy would be Wrath of the Lich King to Cataclysm transition, minus removing 20 points of talents and adding 3 abilities to every class. Class buffs provide utility and they are returning in BfA. Some Artifact traits will be made baseline or baked into talents. For example Stormkeeper is a new Elemental Shaman talent available in BfA. Removing drawbacks from abilities is an area they are the most hesitant to entrench. What's happening with Hati for BM? It won't be carried forward. It's tied to Titanstrike.  It's cool to have multiple pets up as BM. and it's definitely something they could expand upon in the future. Improving animations is a long-term effort. New Warlock animations should be ready for the BfA pre-patch. Relics diluted the excitement of weapon rewards. The plan is to go back to regular weapon drops. The Underlight Angler will be carried forward, unlike other Artifacts. 50 characters per account limit will probably not be increased, but they're listening to community feedback.
    • By Frostjin
      <Currently Online> US - Sargeras - Alliance and US - Illidan - Horde - Is recruiting raiders for all difficulties, and social/casual players of all levels!
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      About Us:
      <Currently Online> Founded 2014 by a core group that has been playing World of Warcraft since Vanilla. Currently Online has since evolved to far more than a guild; we are a full scale gaming community with our roots in World of Warcraft. 
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      What We Offer: 
      The largest and most active World of Warcraft community in the world, with over 9,000 members across 9 guilds (6 Alliance, 3 Horde), we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...
      Raiding: 
      7/7 M EN, 2/3 M ToV, 7/10 M NH, and 6/9 M ToS Progression 12 Raid Teams - ranging from Casual to Mythic Progression See the teams and their needs on our website: http://currentlyonline.gg/raiding
      PvP:
      4 RBG Teams Countless members always looking for BGs and arenas! Learn more about our PvP offerings on our website: http://currentlyonline.gg/rbgs
      For Socials:
      Always active guild chat - 6 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall on Alliance, and 3 on Horde. In-game activities and competitions: XMog Contests, PvP Events, Mythic+ Spams, Achievement Runs, Alt Raids, Yolo BGs, and more! Bi-Weekly In-Game Lottery! New Member Orientations! Come make some new friends! Room for advancement as an officer. Out of WoW:
      Private Gaming Servers such as Minecraft & 7DaysToDie Destiny 2 Clan Steam Group FFXIV Company Rust Clan Always active Discord w/ thousands of users Drinking Nights Monthly Giveaways _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      To Join:
      If you find yourself on Sargeras Alliance or Illidan Horde, simply "/who Currently Online" and ask for an invite! If you're not on one of our realms yet, let us know on our website and we'll keep your seat warm!
      http://currentlyonline.gg/join 
      Contact Us: 
      You can contact us by Btag, or email as listed below.
      Add one of the following officers to your Btag:
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      OR
      Email us at:
      Coldcrow@currentlyonline.gg
      Swampage@currentlyonline.gg
      We hope to see everyone in game!

• By Stan

Highmountain Taurens are one of the three Allied races available to the Horde in Battle for Azeroth. In this preview, we're looking at the requirements to create a Highmountain Tauren, class / customization options and racials.
      Descended from Huln, brave hero of the War of the Ancients, the Highmountain tauren honor the spirits of earth, river, and sky. Though the Legion invaded their lands and sowed seeds of distrust between them, the tribes of Highmountain stand united once more. At long last they are ready to venture beyond their sacred mountain and stand beside their kin from Kalimdor, lending their nobility and strength to the mighty Horde.
      Available Classes
      Druid, Hunter, Monk, Shaman, Warrior Requirements
      In Danny's interview with Muffinus, we learned that you need to complete Ain't No Mountain High Enough and have some reputation standing with the Highmountain Tribe in order to gain access to a short quest chain to unlock the Allied race. Racials (Source)
      Bull Rush (Instant, 2 min cooldown)
      Charges forward for 1 sec, knocking enemies down for 1.5 sec. Mountaineer (Passive)
      Increases your Versatility by 1%. Pride of Ironhorn (Passive)
      Mining skill increased by 15 and allows you to mine faster. Rugged Tenacity
      Reduces damage taken by X. Waste Not, Want Not (Passive)
      You have a chance to loot additional meat and fish. Male Highmountain Tauren
      Skin Options

Horn Style

Facial Hair

Female Highmountain Tauren
      Skin Options

Horn Style

Hair Style

All images were taken using WoW Model Viewer.
    • By Starym

The Titan Pantheon themed trinkets coming with Antotus are definitely the most interesting piece of itemization that's come around in a while and they were pretty mysterious for a time when they were first datamined, but we've since found out exactly how they work and what's required for those secondary pocs to trigger. However, the exact numbers behind those procs, how many players would actually have to have them equipped to be optimal, what amount of DPS do the add, whether the legendary version was better than the regular ones and many more questions like that remained unanswered - until now.
      Ask Mr. Robot has put together this very useful infographic detailing pretty much any questions you might have about the upcoming trinkets, other than perhaps "when will one of these drop for me?"
      So, check out all the info you could possibly need and, in case you need a refresher, here are the actual trinkets themselves as well:
      Aggramar's Conviction; Aman'Thul's Vision; Eonar's Compassion; Golganneth's Vitality; Khaz'goroth's Courage; Norgannon's Prowess

You should also check out the full blog post for additional info and details.
      Source:
      https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/7db6m0/pantheon_trinket_infographic/