Krushinator

Why You Should Learn All Three Specs

6 posts in this topic

The pure DPS classes that I raided with in the past have all had different attitudes about how they pick and switch between their specs. I have been a part of my guild for almost 5 years now, and from watching literally hundreds of players come and go from raids, I have noticed some patterns in these attitudes.

The Mages were the most fiercely resistant to spec swapping for different encounters during a patch. They either had emotional attachments to a spec, some kind of problem with the rotation of other specs, or some amount of math and theory to back up their choice.

The Warlocks seemed to intentionally avoid learning how to play other specs so they wouldn't have to change from their current. For the most part the Warlocks I've played with were aware of the advantages of one spec or another in a given situation, but they didn't swap anyway.

The Hunters seemed to consistently have a clearly dominant spec for all situations. For one reason or another one spec would just fire out ahead of the others and all the Hunters would switch. A few were resistant, but most switched once per patch and didn't switch back.

The Rogues I raided with I would equate closest to the Warlocks, with a few differences. We have the unique problem among the pure DPS classes of being hamstrung by weapon type for spec swapping (not in 6.0! Yay!), which I believe contributes to a lot of Rogues not playing the correct spec for the correct encounter. Once a Rogue has all the weapons required, they will often swap between Assassination and Combat as necessary to get better cleave damage or better single target damage. Subtlety, after all the simplifying and math that shows how viable and in some cases superior it is, still has the stigma of being the overly hard spec that doesn't match Assassination in single target.

Since weapons will no longer be a barrier to spec swapping for Rogues, this is the perfect time to put your energy into learning all three of your specs. Especially at a higher level of play, each spec offers very unique benefits that can make or break a progression encounter.

So, why should you learn all three specs? In my experience, there have been opportunities in every tier of raiding for one or more variations of all three specs to shine through. You can't just care about theoretical Patchwerk DPS, you have to consider the strengths and weaknesses of each spec and playstyle against the scenarios presented by each boss. Sometimes it isn't about maxing out your overall DPS, sometimes it's about even DPS across multiple targets, or burst DPS on a critical mob. You will feel like a raiding genius if your raid is having a problem with a mechanic and you're able to switch your spec to fix it. You will feel like a scrub if your raid leader asks you to switch specs to help with that mechanic, and you have to tell them that you can't, because you don't know how.

Subtlety has two somewhat distinct play styles; sustained single target and burst single target. All the same spells are used, but the priorities are different. Sustained single target DPS is what is described in our class guides, burst play is a little more nuanced. This is something you'll want to know for a boss that spawns an add that must die as quickly as possible, but has enough health to live more than 4 seconds (unfortunately, most adds these days die too quickly). I won't go into the details here because it would muck up the thread, but if you'd like me to I can make a separate post about it.

Assassination has an underused multi target play style which amounts to Rupture spreading. The reason this play style has vanished is because Combat for some reason now has a higher sustained single target DPS rotation than Assassination does, theoretically. Going forward I would not count on this being the case. Multi-Rupture rotation for Assassination is great for a fight where there is one available target for parts of the fight, and there are 1 to 2 other grouped up targets for other parts of the fight. The concept for this play style is easier than Subtlety burst, and I'll go through it in detail if anyone wants to read about it.

Combat, well, there's one way to play Combat. Cleave city. I wish there was more variety and more functionality for this spec, but there isn't. Enjoy your Galakras ranks (if Warlocks and Ele Shamans ever stop being insane for AoE).

Learning all of your possibilities isn't about ranking or forcing them into situations, it's about having options and being the best you can be in a specific scenario. Maybe one week on Norushen your group is having a terrible time killing the Amalgam's, so you switch to Subtlety during the break to help with the burst. Maybe the next week they are fine, so you switch back to single target Combat. If the group isn't killing tiny adds on Sha of Pride well enough late in the fight, you could switch away from single target Subtlety to a mass AoE Assassination play style. Knowledge of your own class will weasel you through progression kills; I've done it myself a number of times.

Combat, well, there's one way to play Combat. Cleave city. I wish there was more variety and more functionality for this spec, but there isn't. Enjoy your Galakras ranks (if Warlocks and Ele Shamans ever stop being insane for AoE).

This, although If the RNG favors me I can beat locks and shaman. Just not that often.

Changing specs for each fight isn't required for all but the most hardcore progression types. The specs are so similar in performance that simply being dedicated to a spec and playing well can overcome most advantage any one spec has in a fight. The exception would probably have been combat in 5.0, where you could use combat daggers (big no-no) and still outperform your main spec on cleave fights. Which was why it was nerfed.

The best players are going to know every spec inside and out and can perform them flawlessly. For the mortal majority however, simply being good at the spec you enjoy and focusing your remaining attention on fight mechanic is more than enough to overcome the advantages of switching specs in most cases.

I agree with WaveFunctionP here, not that I really have played a rouge, but it makes sence that you shuld go whit the spec that you like the most and are moste comfterbel with, otherwise you might find your self in a situation were you miss something important in the fight and die due to having to concentrate on your rotation to much or you are preforming worse beacuse you dont know when to use cds in the new spec for exampel. Oh and btw, the "you in here referse to a general "you" not specific, just wanted to be clear :P

•  

It's true that the specs perform very similarly... at this point in time on a Patchwerk fight. It's true that being at your top potential for one spec is usually good enough. However, this leaves you having to relearn your class when an ability gets nerfed, a new raid is released, or your guild hits a progression wall.

Dragon Soul was a great example. If you wanted cruise control for mediocre, you played Assassination. As long as your raid leader assigned you to hit the boss only, you could perform respectably on -almost- every boss. If you were a more skilled rogue you could get away with single target Subtlety on -almost- every boss.

For the Assassination rogues, the wall was Spine of Deathwing. Suddenly you couldn't just whale on the boss for 7 minutes straight; you needed burst damage. Suddenly where Subtlety and Assassination were fairly close together, Subtlety was the completely superior spec. If all you knew at that point was Assassination spec, you were setting your guild back potentially for weeks. For the Subtlety rogues, the wall was Ultraxion. No Backstab, no Ambush. If you didn't know another spec at that point, you were screwed.

Knowing your specs and potentials isn't just for top 50 world rankers. It's for those times when your raid cannot succeed without a specific task being performed, and you as a player have the tools to adapt and do the job.

A rogue can play every fight as combat, and do quite well. Combat has the greatest AoE potential of all the specs, and still retains good single target. However, it is typically not optimal to just play combat for every fight (I believe that it is for the best to do so in SoO, but this is also atypical). If assassination were to get ahead in single target dps during a tier, then it would be best to swap between assassination and combat, unless assassination was able to do enough single target dps to outweigh the benefit of having combat's AoE, which may have been the case during ToT. I think that, in actuality, it is best to know every spec, but less for the purpose of switching between specs on any given fight (keeping in mind that you can only optimize gemming/enchanting for one spec, anyway), and more for the purpose of being able to play a spec when it becomes the strongest for a tier.

Edited by Nastynelbur

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym

Account wide Priority Mail achievement, NPCs that again "make sounds" when you click on them (ahem), Rogues get the Fan of Knives Poison Knives buff back after a bug fix and more in today's hotfixes!
      January 23 (source)
      Achievements
      The Priority Mail achievement and Postmaster title are now account-wide. Non-Draenei characters can now complete the Bloodmyst Isle Quests achievement. Icecrown: The Final Goal now checks for the correct version of the quest "No Rest For The Wicked". Characters
      NPCs should again make sounds when you click on them. Your character’s sounds should again be more audible than other players’ sounds, especially in dungeons and raids. Classes
      Priest Strength of Soul is no longer incorrectly triggered by Power Word: Barrier Rogue Poison Knives again amplifies Fan of Knives as intended. Class Halls
      Fixed a bug that sometimes inflated the Order Resources amount required for a mission. Dungeons and Raids
      Addressed numerous issues with area effects misbehaving in encounters. Developers’ notes: The underlying issue here is complex, but we believe we’ve tracked down the likely cause. Please let us know if you continue to experience issues with erroneously-triggered area effects. Quests
      Lost Mail now properly spawns in a random location near one of several Dalaran mailboxes. "Korok the Colossus" can now be turned in to Deathguard Podrig in the Sepulcher if Forward Commander Onslaught has been slain. "Good News... and Bad News" can now be accepted from Matoclaw if abandoned. Players level 91 and higher can now start the questline that unlocks Jade Forest by speaking with Nazgrim (Horde) or Admiral Jes-tereth (Alliance). Boss enemies for "The Air Stands Still" have had their health reduced, and the NPCs that help you fight them have had their damage increased. The missing Slumberblooms have returned for "Slumberbloom". Previous patch 7.3.5 hotfixes:
      January 22nd January 17
    • By Stan

The latest changes to the Recruit-a-Friend program went live yesterday. The XP boost is down to +50% and no longer stacks with the bonus from Heirlooms. Blizzard explained the rationale behind all changes on the official forums.
      Purchasing a WoW expansion includes a free character boost to level 100. If you play World of Warcraft with friends, they can use the boost immediately to reach level 100. The boost eliminates the rush to reach max level in order to experience end-game content together. The pace of leveling alts is also taken into account. If leveling feels slow, they'd rather bring down the XP requirements and Recruit-a-Friend should not be a workaround to this issue.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Thanks for the feedback and thoughts so far.

The Refer-A-Friend system is intended as an option for players who want to invite a friend to play WoW with them and experience the game together. When it was first introduced, we gave it a hefty bonus to experience gain as a way for both players to reach endgame content as quickly as possible.

Nowadays, purchasing the latest WoW expansion includes a free character boost, so the need to rush your friend to max level is no longer there; you can jump into the latest content with your friend right away. This meant that the only players who were using the Refer-A-Friend system in its intended way – leveling alongside their friend – were those who had decided that they wanted to experience that content together. We realized that, for those players, the 300% XP bonus was a disservice; we were cutting that shared experience short by making them finish it far too quickly.

Now, we certainly recognize that the majority of people using the Refer-A-Friend system before these changes were doing so in order to level alts quickly. If anything, we take that as a strong indication that the system needed to change: the best method to level a character in WoW shouldn’t be “buy a new copy of the game, put it on a separate account, send it a Refer-A-Friend invite, level a new character, and then transfer that character to your primary account when you’re finished.” That’s messy, at best.

That said, we’re certainly taking the feedback about the rate of leveling alts into account as we move forward with the game’s development. We’ve been happy with the changes so far, but if leveling is too slow, we’d rather address that in the game itself than have Refer-A-Friend be some kind of bizarre workaround to an outstanding issue.
    • By Starym

Blizzard's Opening Moves series continues, as top Arena players give us some insight and advice on how to be better at WoW's premiere PvP activity. This time around the focus is player positioning, in relation to teammates, opponents and map obstacles.
      Positioning  (source)
      This article is a part of our Opening Moves series, where we talk to World of Warcraft esports pros about the meta-game and strategy behind the beginning of every match. Read part one here.
      In a game of chess, opening moves are made with the intention of gaining control over key areas of the board, protecting the King, providing mobility for friendly pieces, and creating opportunities to capture opposing pieces. These goals are also present in World of Warcraft Arena matches, and in each game, player or unit positioning is one of the most crucial elements to understand in order to gain and maintain control of a match.
      In the context of WoW Arena, “positioning” refers to a player’s location relative to their teammates, their opponents, and obstacles on the map. All three of these considerations must be taken into account when analyzing a player’s position. In order to understand the importance of positioning, let’s take a closer look at each of these elements individually.
      Position relative to teammates. 
      The most important thing to be aware of in an Arena match is the position of your teammates. “If you relate it back to chess, your team’s healer is essentially your King piece”, says Method Synergy’s Ryan “Trill” Costello. Healers typically play further back in the field, where they can’t be easily stunned or interrupted, but still within the 40-yard healing range of their teammates.
      As a damage dealer, it’s important to remember that your healer will have to move as you do to stay in range, which could be dangerous. “There’s not much worse than getting out of position in a match,” said Jason “Pika” Smith. “It drags everyone into a risky position, which might result in your healer getting CC’d, interrupted, or swapped to.”

Position relative to opponents.
      Simultaneously, you’ll need to be aware of your enemies’ position—and how you can use it to your advantage. Alex “Alec” Sheldrick, described one strategy for accomplishing this. “As the Mage on a caster cleave team, my goal is often to draw the enemy melee out into “no man’s land. Once they begin to overextend, my melee moves in behind them to “zone out” their healer and apply pressure.” 
      Think about your team’s capabilities and win conditions, and consider how you can force the enemy to play into your strategy.

Position relative to map obstacles.
      Equally important to consider is your team’s position relative to the obstacles on each map. Obstacles can be used to break enemies’ line-of-sight, allowing you to avoid damage and CC. “No amount of damage you take is trivial when you think about your healer’s mana pool,” says Trill. “Knowing when to use obstacles to avoid unnecessary damage can make a big difference later in the game.”
      Often times, healers will opt to play close to an obstacle on the map, such as one of the four pillars in Nagrand Arena, so that they can break their opponents’ line-of-sight to avoid being targeted. While these obstacles provide relative safety, Alec says they don’t give as much of an advantage as most players think. “Every time you peek, you’re in danger—if the fighting is close by. Consider playing in the open field at maximum range. Your enemies will have to move further to target you, giving you more time to react.”
      “Positioning is the most important thing that’s not properly understood or discussed by most players. It’s not obvious to think about at first, but as you gain more knowledge and game experience, you’ll be able to tell what’s working!” – Alec
      There are seemingly infinite factors to think about in the Arena, but establishing strong fundamentals, like positioning, will do wonders for increasing your game sense and skill level. Be on the lookout for the next entry into our Opening Moves series, where we’ll discuss XYZ with professional World of Warcraft Arena players to help level up your play.
    • By Stan

Burning Crusade Timewalking returns this week and you can enter Black Temple to gear up your characters! This week's world bosses are Ana-Mouz and Sotanathor. Don't forget to complete the Deepwind Dunk PvP Brawl and all weekly quests associated with the world events.
      Mythic Keystone Affixes
      Bolstering Skittish Fortified Argus Weekly Quests
      Just a reminder! Fuel of a Doomed World and Invasion Onslaught weekly quests reward 1,000 reputation with both Army of the Light and Argussian Reach factions in Patch 7.3.5. Make sure to complete them, because unlocking Lightforged Draenei and Void Elves is gated behind Exalted reputation standing with these factions. You can find more information here. World Bosses (Upcoming World Boss Schedule (Until February 2018)
      Ana-Mouz
      Look for the epic world quest "Ana-Mouz" in Suramar.
      Loot Tables
      Crop Top Chain Hauberk Demonic Birthstone Ring Imp Mother's Loincloth Imp-Eye Diamond Low-Cut Chestplate Sheer Felthreaded Robe Skimpy Demonleather Tunic Vantus Rune Technique: Tichondrius Sotanathor
      Sotanathor is up on Argus and the portal is located in Mac'Aree (44, 50). Argus world bosses drop ilvl 930 loot, so don't forget to bring a Seal of Broken Fate for bonus roll.
      Loot Tables
      Bracers of Diabolic Fury Enthralling Chain Armor Fel-Linked Crushers Gauntlets of Barbaric Cruelty Gloves of Grim Direction Gore-Soaked Legplates Horned Hood of Retaliation Robes of Demonic Purpose Spaulders of Vile Determination Spike of Immortal Command Sotanathor's Thundering Hoof Subjugated Drudge's Leggings Waistguard of Devilish Deeds World Events
      PvP Brawl: Deepwind Dunk (January 23 - 30)
      Complete the weekly quest Something Different to get a Brawler's Footlocker, 3 Marks of Honor and Soldier's Legacy (10 billion Artifact Power @ AK level 55).
      Can you even dunk? If you want to win this brawl, you’re going to need to work on your skills because Dunkball has come to Pandaria. You’ll race to claim balls from the map’s center, or northern, or southern mines, take them to your enemy’s base, and then go for a magnificent long range shot or go all in for the dunk.
      Burning Crusade Timewalking Dungeon Event (January 23 - 30)
      Items obtained from dungeons during Burning Crusade Timewalking have a base item level of 880. Items obtained from Black Temple Timewalking have a base item level of 930. Complete 5 Timewalking dungeons for the weekly quest "A Burning Path Through Time" and get Accolade of Victory (2.5 billion Artifact Power @ Ak level 55), 1 Seal of Broken Fate & Cache of Antoran Treasures that contains a single piece of Normal difficulty Antorus loot. Reins of the Infinite Timereaver has a chance to drop from any dungeon boss as Personal Loot. Black Temple is also available during Timewalking, go to Shattrath (Outland) and talk to Vormu. Demon Hunters can collect the appearances of Illidan's warglaives (Arsenal: The Warglaives of Azzinoth).
      While this event Is active, players level 71 or higher may access a special Timewalking Dungeon Finder queue, which scales players and their items down to revisit past dungeons from The Burning Crusade expansion. While Timewalking, bosses will yield loot appropriate for a player’s regular level. During Burning Crusade Timewalking, you may assemble a raid group of between 10 and 30 players, travel to Shattrath City in Outland, and speak with Vormu to access a Timewalking version of the Black Temple raid.
    • By Stan

Patch 7.3 introduced a fixed world boss rotation. Now that all bosses were up at least once, we gathered enough data and compiled a table of upcoming world boss spawns and some of their loot you might be interested in.
      Naz'ak the Fiend will be up during the week of January 16. The boss drops Recipe: Potion of Prolonged Power.
      Date* World Bosses Interesting Loot November 28 Humongris / Mistress Alluradel   December 5 Shar'thos / Matron Folnuna Skull of Shar'thos December 12 Flotsam / Sotanathor The Warmace of Shirvallah December 19 Drugon / Inquisitor Meto Vantus Rune Technique: Guarm December 26 Calamir / Pit Lord Vilemus   January 2 Withered J'm / Occularus Unstable Arcanocrystal January 9 Levantus / Mistress Alluradel The Warmace of Shirvalla January 16 Naz'ak the Fiend / Matron Folnuna Recipe: Potion of Prolonged Power January 23 Ana-Mouz / Sotanathor Vantus Rune Technique: Tichondrius January 30 Nithogg / Inquisitor Meto Skull of Nithogg February 6 The Soultakers / Pit Lord Vilemus Runes of the Darkening February 13 Humongris / Occularus   February 20 Shar'thos / Mistress Alluradel Skull of Shar'thos February 27 Flotsam / Matron Folnuna The Warmace of Shirvallah *For EU add one day to the dates above