Jump to content
FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Overwhelmingly Negative Responses to the Burning Crusade Classic Character Cloning Price

Recommended Posts

58387-making-choices-the-transition-to-b
 

Yesterday saw the announcement of all the details surrounding the Burning Crusade Classic launch, including the various costs for some services, and the WoW community is not all that happy about one specific part.

There have been many comments on basically every aspect of the expansion's pricing, most of them negative, as they've been perceived to be either too expensive, or that they shouldn't have been added at all. While the character level boost was the prime target of backlash before this announcement (and is still pretty high on the list, but for a different reason), the new king of the negative comment hill is the price for character cloning.

Blizzard yesterday announced the price of the cloning service which allows players to both move their current Classic characters into the Burning Crusade and also keep them in the Vanilla Classic Era servers. Prior to this announcement it was unknown what the pricing of the service would be, and many players assumed it would either be free, have one-time cost for all characters, or a very low price per character. Well, Blizzard went for the worst of the three options, as the cost for cloning is $35 for each character you choose you want to both stay and move on. The reactions were pretty extreme on this one, as it's so far removed from player expectations, with a focus on the price point but also the fact that it costs Blizzard nothing to do it:

Quote

It costs $35 to ctrl+c and ctrl+v. - raz_drack
...

Blizzard keeps pushing more and more microtransactions into the Classic projects and people act like everyone's overreacting every single time. People who didn't like the boost knew this was a slippery slope and they were proven right. Sometimes, big company bad. - Gamer_Obama
...
nothing micro about these transactions - awrylettuce
...
Honestly the point is not that the character transfer or the mount or even the boost are terrible. But it’s pure anchoring. The step from having some micro transactions to full blown tokens, endless boosts, faction changes etc is not nearly as big as before - Shadowgurke
...
Honestly the $35 is so high for what should be a free service that I'm starting to wonder if Blizzard has a reason for not wanting people to play on classic servers. - Nickelodean7551
...
Not sure whats worse, blizzard pricing it at 35USD or the idiots defending the price. - Frolkinator
...
F. 15 would have been tolerable. That is way over the top. - Orisyl
...
I'm glad it costs that much. At $10 or $15, I might have been suckered into cloning my main to keep as a trophy, even if I didn't really plan to play on the Classic-forever realms. At $35, I can just keep my money instead. - Rune_Armour_Trimmer
...
As someone that works in software dev. The only reason these "automation services" are charged is because people pay for it. Seen it countless times across the industry. Things are free, till management finds out that someone will pay for it, then it becomes chargeable to the whole customer base. Time and time again. If people never paid for it, it would be free. - kaibasean
...
Usually I'm defending Blizzard, but I can't on this.$70 for the deluxe and $35 for cloning? We are not made of money! - Illidari_Kuvira
...
Did they mean this when they said "You think you want it but you don't?" - saiyanjesus
...
It’s the greediest thing wow has done to date. It’s scary to imagine what comes next - 1234567as5
...
I can’t wait to see in several months the brand new ‘Classic Era servers are dead so rescue your character from that shithole and send them to TBC era servers for only $79,99’ service. - Gamerstin
...
#freetheclones - Ratswamp95

There are of course also those defending the move, or at least giving it some context, but they get downvoted pretty quickly and most of them actually then delete the comments, so there aren't many:

Quote

Whats there to discuss. It's a smart way for Blizzard to make the whole classic project even more profitable since there is no box to buy. I bet people are already crying wolf. - QuiksLE
...
While the price of the copy is ridiculous it’s to my understanding that this is so blizzard can keep up the cost of servers right? Since there’s only one subscription there’s not point in keeping forgotten toons on classic and creating loads of dead servers? Idk the logisctics I know esfand had mentioned that - ArchJay
...
They want to force people to make a decision. You can opt out of this decision and have it both ways if you are willing to pay (a lot of) money. But their goal is to make people decide. That's why it's a fee per character and not like many people wanted, per account. - zap-

Just as a counter argument, even having the option to have Classic Era servers and keeping your characters there AND moving them on to TBC is a big addition, definitely worth something as the expansion itself is free, but the pricing on this is a little extreme. The worst part here, as you're seeing from the comments, is the fact that it completely confirmed fears of the "slippery slope" that was brought up when the character boost was announced back during BlizzConline, and now players are just waiting for what else is coming to the formerly fairly "micro"transaction-free Classic.

Here are the main threads where the discussion is most active, but there are many more both on the Classic and retail reddits:

You can also read this official support article on further details on the cloning process.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The character clone charge was the only thing that caught me - there was really no indication in the survey or the original announcement to indicate we were voting for a paid service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff like this is why even though player numbers are getting lower and lower, earnings have continued to rise.  We all know a bunch of people will complain, but they will still pay it cause it's easier / less hassle than leveling a new / additional character.   As long as the whales are keeping them afloat there is no incentive for them to change the game for the better to keep/ attract/ engage new or casual players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Calorat said:

Stuff like this is why even though player numbers are getting lower and lower, earnings have continued to rise.  We all know a bunch of people will complain, but they will still pay it cause it's easier / less hassle than leveling a new / additional character.   As long as the whales are keeping them afloat there is no incentive for them to change the game for the better to keep/ attract/ engage new or casual players.

the thing is without stuff like that they would just raise the monthly price for sure 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, N3ilo said:

the thing is without stuff like that they would just raise the monthly price for sure 

You mean like they already did?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Babel said:

You mean like they already did?

no some price raises are totally normal i mean like a lot more cause we all know activision really like money

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Babel said:

You mean like they already did?

At least the prices don't get raised every single year - like rent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Wildwitch said:

At least the prices don't get raised every single year - like rent.

Yea general inflation means EVERYTHING gets more and more expensive constantly in the real world, and yet when companies decide to up the price of a game by $10 players welcome it as the new apocalypse. I mean do they not understand that as inflation rises so do developer pays? I'm really not one to defend corporations and capitalism in general but damn, common sense is in short supply these days.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 12:33 PM, N3ilo said:

no some price raises are totally normal i mean like a lot more cause we all know activision really like money

I used to pay 80 of currency for 2 months of game time, now I have to pay this amount for 1 month. How is that not a lot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Babel said:

I used to pay 80 of currency for 2 months of game time, now I have to pay this amount for 1 month. How is that not a lot?

oh wow i pay the same amount i paid when i startet playing 15years ago but i would like you to lokk at staryms  comment direktly above yours 

Edited by N3ilo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Starym said:

Yea general inflation means EVERYTHING gets more and more expensive constantly in the real world, and yet when companies decide to up the price of a game by $10 players welcome it as the new apocalypse. I mean do they not understand that as inflation rises so do developer pays? I'm really not one to defend corporations and capitalism in general but damn, common sense is in short supply these days.

At the same time their revenue increased so it's not like they are hurting for more money. Also, afaik server costs are lower than they used to be, thanks to cloud storage etc. It's more about insane demands for constant growth, as if companies could grow infinitely. I do also see many people defending such practices, while there is no good excuse based on data available. Especially when it comes to reselling old games with few digital goods.

Another thing, in many cases this 70$ price is still just an entry fee to an ecosystem filled with microtransactions. And publishers are testing if they can get away with higher entry fee. So I wouldn't use that excuse about them needing more money (they are already getting more money as it is), thus having to increase prices. I remember similar discussions when the concept of dlc was quite new. People were defending them with similar arguments, some even claiming that dlcs are enough to keep current prices and thanks to them we won't see worse types of monetization (with presence of dlcs leading to even lower base prices of games). That has aged well...

Edited by Arcling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arcling said:

At the same time their revenue increased so it's not like they are hurting for more money. Also, afaik server costs are lower than they used to be, thanks to cloud storage etc. It's more about insane demands for constant growth, as if companies could grow infinitely. I do also see many people defending such practices, while there is no good excuse based on data available. Especially when it comes to reselling old games with few digital goods.

Another thing, in many cases this 70$ price is still just an entry fee to an ecosystem filled with microtransactions. And publishers are testing if they can get away with higher entry fee. So I wouldn't use that excuse about them needing more money (they are already getting more money as it is), thus having to increase prices. I remember similar discussions when the concept of dlc was quite new. People were defending them with similar arguments, some even claiming that dlcs are enough to keep current prices and thanks to them we won't see worse types of monetization (with presence of dlcs leading to even lower base prices of games). That has aged well...

The revenue increase is clearly due to the pandemic, not anything else, so that's not really a good example (at least not in the past year+). But you are right, the dev team for WoW is insanely big and yet still not big enough to satisfy the playerbase demand for content. The microtransaction thing I find a bit of a fallacy, as long as it's cosmetics there's really no point in arguing IMO, it's utterly pointless to use that as an argument unless you CHOOSE to WANT to look prettier/badass/whatever. There are tons of problems/misuses within the MTX realm ofc (making mtx cosmetics awesome while normal gear looks shit etc) but those are a bigger discussion, just cosmetic MTX in itself is fine IMO, regardless of the price point of the base game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Starym said:

The revenue increase is clearly due to the pandemic, not anything else, so that's not really a good example (at least not in the past year+). But you are right, the dev team for WoW is insanely big and yet still not big enough to satisfy the playerbase demand for content. The microtransaction thing I find a bit of a fallacy, as long as it's cosmetics there's really no point in arguing IMO, it's utterly pointless to use that as an argument unless you CHOOSE to WANT to look prettier/badass/whatever. There are tons of problems/misuses within the MTX realm ofc (making mtx cosmetics awesome while normal gear looks *filtered* etc) but those are a bigger discussion, just cosmetic MTX in itself is fine IMO, regardless of the price point of the base game.

Is it though? They have been on a rise for several years now, not just pandemic.

It's not a fallacy for pretty much reasons stated above. It potentially detracts from attractiveness of rewards. Looking cool affects people's enjoyment. Another thing, it eases people into other forms of microtransactions. People were outraged about shop, it eventually stopped, people were outraged about various paid services, but this too ended and there are defenders of such practices. If they introduced some increase to resources gained, pretty sure there would be some people defending it: "oh, it's just 25% increase, you just have to grind more if you are not paying for it". Thing is, where we do cross the line, because this argument "this is fine, but it goes no further than that" doesn't seem valid. Here's the issue - it's never enough, it can always go further. Of course, free to play games are something else, as there is no subscription or price for expansions (usually).

Edited by Arcling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Arcling said:

Is it though? They have been on a rise for several years now, not just pandemic.

It's not a fallacy for pretty much reasons stated above. It potentially detracts from attractiveness of rewards. Looking cool affects people's enjoyment. Another thing, it eases people into other forms of microtransactions. People were outraged about shop, it eventually stopped, people were outraged about various paid services, but this too ended and there are defenders of such practices. If they introduced some increase to resources gained, pretty sure there would be some people defending it: "oh, it's just 25% increase, you just have to grind more if you are not paying for it". Thing is, where we do cross the line, because this argument "this is fine, but it goes no further than that" doesn't seem valid. Here's the issue - it's never enough, it can always go further. Of course, free to play games are something else, as there is no subscription or price for expansions (usually).

We'll just have to disagree there completely. Cosmetics are fine IMO, for any and all games (with the caveats I mentioned earlier) and anything beyond that is not (XP, currency boosts, items etc). Your line may be much stricter than mine and that's fine but let's not pretend this is some fact-based thing. I'm looking at it realistically, before a company would release a game and that would be that, now ANY game, even offline single player needs to be updated and patched constantly, which costa money so a steady stream of income from it is needed, or devs are just making less money than they were before. Cosmetics are that answer. They mean a lot to you and some other players and so you put a bigger meaning to them, again that's fine, but it's not exactly objective. The slippery slope thing is a fine argument, but really doesn't apply to allowing no cosmetic MTX ever, because that simply is not feasible in modern game design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Starym said:

We'll just have to disagree there completely. Cosmetics are fine IMO, for any and all games (with the caveats I mentioned earlier) and anything beyond that is not (XP, currency boosts, items etc). 

It's fine, clearly we see those things differently. My main concern is about easing people into more microtransactions. And it sort of kills the point of classic, like that mount didn't exist back in BC, neither this "Dark Portal Pass", also there was no mount that scales with your riding skill (this one apparently does). There are also other concerns, albeit not related to this, like short pre-patch and release date, that doesn't give people enough time to prepare and level up. I won't be surprised if WotLK classic is going to be even more expensive. It was also an expansion that had first store mount, so they might as well just put modern store in there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Arcling said:

It's fine, clearly we see those things differently. My main concern is about easing people into more microtransactions. And it sort of kills the point of classic, like that mount didn't exist back in BC, neither this "Dark Portal Pass", also there was no mount that scales with your riding skill (this one apparently does). There are also other concerns, albeit not related to this, like short pre-patch and release date, that doesn't give people enough time to prepare and level up. I won't be surprised if WotLK classic is going to be even more expensive. It was also an expansion that had first store mount, so they might as well just put modern store in there.

Oh I agree they shouldn't have added stuff to Classic, but then again I also think it's incredibly stupid that they put Classic on an endpatch to begin with and not roll it out as it was originally with class changes etc, so it's all subjective really 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym
      Here's another crazy accomplishment, as Rommildrey managed to finish up their huge Classic goal JUST before Burning Crusade Classic hit, and got 60 characters to level 60 without boosting, dungeons or questing!
      Yes, you read that right, all 60 characters were leveled exclusively by killing mobs, completely reliant on rested experience. So how long did this all take? Around 316 days played, including everything related to it (bank transfers etc), and if you calculate that you'll probably conclude there was some multiboxing happening, or they spent basically ALL their time on leveling for the past 2 years.
      While the below images only show 58 characters, Rommildrey assures us that there were 2 extra level 60 Warlocks there, but they had to be deleted. And really, why would someone lie when 58 is just as insane a number as 60.
        
        
        
      Source.
      And here's a whole lot more info from Rommildrey on this awesome goal that they accomplished:
      In WoD I decided to level 100 characters to 100 for the fun of it, as leveling was super easy with recruit a friend, heirloom gear and just overall more smoothed out leveling. It didn't scratch the itch for a hard leveling experience, so when they announced classic WoW I pretty much instantly knew I wanted to do 60 60s, knowing that the leveling in the game is the slowest and hardest that it ever was.

      I was motivated the whole way through because I knew that I wanted to do it, I knew it was going to scratch that itch and make me stop wanting to do big insane projects like this. I think it worked, I only kinda want to do 70 70s for Burning Crusade.
      ...
      I wouldn't say I had a favorite zone, I would basically find humanoids of the levels I needed at that particular time so I rarely interacted with the rest of the zone apart from the inn keeper and and the mobs I was grinding.

      There were plenty of areas that sucked at times, like grinding the trolls in northern STV, had tons of traffic from ZG and a huge number of 60s helping level 30 warriors grind for their Whirlwind Axe. Not often very friendly. The blood elves in Azshara were also pretty painful at lower level, their aggro range is huge and their heal is massive if you fail to interrupt it.
      The gear I was leveling with was basically just the best greens for that class, passed on by the other characters that didn't need it. So when a green str/agi item drops on my warlock, instead of vendoring it I can give it to a warrior, rogue, feral druid or paladin etc. So for the most part I had best in slot green gear on most of my characters.
      ...
      I love grinding, so to me it was basically just a super chill grind the whole way through until I was nearing the end and closer to pre-patch. Going mob by mob means I had a lot of free time to watch shows, movies, listen to and discover new music etc.
      ...
      Haha I was waiting for someone to call me out on that! In my final days of grinding 2 of my warlocks to 60, I had to continue grinding despite knowing they were going to be deleted in a few days to be replaced by paladins. I assure you they did exist!
      ...
      About 316 days played working on this project, including banking, transferring items etc.
      ...
      I found 3 pairs of Edgemasters, 1 Wardens Staff, 2 Glowing Brightwood Staves and probably 45-50 other random epics worth very little. I also got every single bad BOE blue possible, just not a single good one.
      ...
      Until I decide if I want to continue on to 70 70s and 80 80s, all of my Faerlina and Stalagg characters will probably just rot, I was fully prepared for blizzard to cap characters allowed to be brought into BC since boosting was such a big thing, so I never really had any intention of doing anything with them after classic wow.

      I do plan on going fairly hard in Burning Crusade, I will probably get use out of most of my Herod characters.

      Source: Rommildrey.
      A really crazy feat, and we hope to see Rommildrey again with 70 level 70ies in two years time!
    • By Starym
      With World Buffs leaving the Classic meta tomorrow with the Burning Crusade's launch (at least for those that decided to move on to the expansion), awesome and funny machinima maker Gorak decided to give them a fond farewell, by comparing the original Vanilla experience with the buffs to the way they were handled in Classic! The results are pretty great:
    • By Staff
      Blizzard have announced specific plans for the Classic Era realm connection process, detailing which specific servers are getting connected in both US and EU regions.
      Classic Era Realm Connections (source 1, source 2)
      US:
      As we approach the moment when WoW Classic players will make the choice to move on to The Burning Crusade Classic (version 2.5.1) or stick with Classic Era (version 1.13.7), we will be connecting many Classic Era realms during maintenance on Tuesday, May 18.
      This means that in each region/locale, we will create connected realms among groups of Classic Era PvP realms, or groups of Classic Era Normal realms, or Classic Era RP realms.
      In this region, we will connect:
      Anathema, Arcanite Reaper, Bigglesworth, Blaumeux, Fairbanks, Kurinnaxx, Rattlegore, Smolderweb, Thunderfury, and Whitemane Arugal, Felstriker, and Yojamba Ashkandi, Mankrik, Pagle, Westfall, and Windseeker Atiesh, Azuresong, Myzrael, and Old Blanchy Benediction, Faerlina, Heartseeker, Incendius, and Netherwind Earthfury, Herod, Kirtonos, Kromcrush, Skeram, Stalagg, Sulfuras, and Thalnos Our goal is to maximize the opportunities for Classic Era players to establish strong communities and carry on enjoying their way of play. We hope to see healthy populations of connected realms for Classic Era players, and we’ll continue to monitor and consider further connections in the future.
      Thank you!
      EU:
      As we approach the moment when WoW Classic players will make the choice to move on to The Burning Crusade Classic (version 2.5.1) or stick with Classic Era (version 1.13.7), we will be connecting many Classic Era realms during maintenance on Wednesday, May 19.
      This means that in each region/locale, we will create connected realms among groups of Classic Era PvP realms, or groups of Classic Era Normal realms, or Classic Era RP realms.
      In this region, we will connect:
      Mirage Raceway, Nethergarde Keep, and Pyrewood Village Ashbringer, Bloodfang, Dragonfang, Earthshaker, Gandling, Golemagg, Mograine, Noggenfogger, Skullflame, and Firemaw Dreadmist, Flamelash, Judgement, Razorgore, Shazzrah, Stonespine, Ten Storms, and Gehennas Our goal is to maximize the opportunities for Classic Era players to establish strong communities and carry on enjoying their way of play. We hope to see healthy populations of connected realms for Classic Era players, and we’ll continue to monitor and consider further connections in the future.
      Thank you!
    • By Staff
      Blizzard is lowering the price of the WoW Classic cloning service from $35 to $15, in response to some fairly heavy community criticism on the decision.
      (Source)
      Salutations, WoW Classic players! We’d like to inform you about a course correction we’re making.
      When you log in to WoW Classic after the patch next week, each of your Classic characters will choose between staying in Classic Era (version 1.13) and progressing to Burning Crusade Classic (version 2.5). For those who want to play a character in both versions, we’re offering a service to purchase a character clone in the other version of the game.
      This service – providing a player with a second copy of a character in a different game – is new for us. Our original concept of the value of this service was largely based on how we price other optional items and services. We want players who choose Classic Era realms to feel as though their choice comes with the possibility that they’ll be able to build relationships and guilds with other players they can count on.
      However, over the last week or so, we’ve gotten a very large amount of feedback from the community, and we’ve decided to lower the price. A lower price will likely still accomplish our goals with the new service, while allowing many more players to explore the option of playing characters on both Classic Era and Burning Crusade Classic realms.
      After careful consideration, we’ve decided to lower the price of a cloned character in WoW Classic to $15.00 USD ($20.00 CAD, $20.00 AUD, $24.00 NZD). You’ll see the lower price in-game when the service becomes available next week.
      As always, we deeply appreciate the passion and thoughtfulness of the WoW community. We play WoW alongside you, and we can’t wait to join you next week on Classic Era realms, in the Burning Crusade Classic pre-patch, and as we step through the Dark Portal with you in June.
      Thank you very much,
      – The World of Warcraft Development Team
    • By Staff
      Blizzard just clarified that the character transfers will be returning on pre-patch day, soon after maintenance as they still need to keep them offline until then due to the characetr copy snapshotting. We also found out there would be a new gold limit on them, raised to 5,000 gold! 
      Server Transfers (source)
      Hello yes! We intend to turn on the character transfer service soon after realms go live with the update next week. We need to keep transfers offline until we’re done snapshotting all characters, but that will be finished during maintenance, so realm transfers can be resumed thereafter.
      On a related note, we’ve made a small change to realm transfer restrictions. Previously, a player-character was restricted to taking a maximum of 2000 gold with them. Going forward, that maximum has been raised to 5000 gold.
×
×
  • Create New...