FORUMS
Damien

Enthusiast Gaming Acquires Icy Veins

banner-icy-enthusiast2.jpg

Icy Veins is joining the Enthusiast Gaming network. The existing team is staying on and will work with Enthusiast Gaming to maintain what you have come to expect from Icy Veins, but also develop new content and keep improving user experience.

Hello everyone,

After 10 years of operating Icy Veins as an independent website, Vlad and I have made the decision to sell the business to Enthusiast Gaming, the company that has been providing the ads on Icy Veins for the past four years. You can find out more about Enthusiast Gaming and the deal itself by reading the press release.

As part of the deal, Vlad and I will be staying on for the long term and we will work together with Enthusiast Gaming to not only maintain what you have come to expect from Icy Veins, but also develop new content and keep improving user experience.

Obviously, the money played an important factor, but the deal will also allow us to manage the site in a much more effective manner. Relieved from all administrative duties, we will be able to focus fully on the content creation part and will receive help from Enthusiast Gaming to scale up operations (particularly in terms of software development).

If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them in the comments!

• Like 6

Do you plan on making a ff14 tab on icy-veins?

Ff14 really could use some general base guides like the ones you got here!

• Like 1

Congratulations. Hope that works out well for you. Glad to know you're sticking around, though!

Do you/Enthusiast have any immediate plans you're aiming for? 

The only worry I'd have is if there's any pressure on you guys to hold back articles or tone down news on things that reflect badly on companies they advertise for.     IE Blizzard and their handling of the Hong Kong fiasco.    Or give glowing reviews on games they're advertising that don't deserve it as another example.     As long as you have free reign though it sounds fine.

1 hour ago, Devylknyght said:

All good as long as they are not super corrupt and agenda driven like Fanbyte is (wowhead).

Don't know how it's now (using adblock there), but Fanbyte at least used to have some very intrusive ads. Definitely they didn't seem like a trustworthy company to me.

Hopefully it's a good change, but what it means for the site as a whole? Is there a chance to see some abandoned categories being updated? Like Overwatch for example. If this is not going to happen, might as well remove them.

Edited by Arcling
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elfomal said:

Do you plan on making a ff14 tab on icy-veins?

Ff14 really could use some general base guides like the ones you got here!

That's a possibility. One main issue Vlad and I had is that it was hard to scale up operations, because 1) recruiting staff is difficult and 2) investing money into a new section was always a big risk. With EG by our side, these become much easier. They're well equipped for recruiting staff (and for most people, working for a billion dollar company is more attractive than working for a Blizzard fan site run by 2 friends :P) and they've always invested money to develop the properties that they've added to their network. So I guess we'll see 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Halock said:

Congratulations. Hope that works out well for you. Glad to know you're sticking around, though!

Do you/Enthusiast have any immediate plans you're aiming for? 

I can't share anything right now, as we haven't finalized everything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcling said:

Don't know how it's now (using adblock there), but Fanbyte at least used to have some very intrusive ads. Definitely they didn't seem like a trustworthy company to me.

Hopefully it's a good change, but what it means for the site as a whole? Is there a chance to see some abandoned categories being updated? Like Overwatch for example. If this is not going to happen, might as well remove them.

Overwatch doesn't lend itself to written content, so there is little chance that the section would be revived.

That is true for Overwatch 1's PvP / skill oriented gameplay, but could see a "Borderlands 3" esque section being brought to action with Overwatch 2's PvE and talent tree introductions. At the very least it allows for talent tree suggestions (one of the most popular types of pages in basically all of IV's games) and builds, as well as maybe map / achievement guides if they release some hard PvE content, which can be beaten with specific strategies (akin to our raid / dungeon guides).

Only thing missing is the loot and professions, but certainly more material than currently. So hopefully OW2 blows us up positively 😛 my wife absolutely loves the game and the insane content drought OW1 is going through right now is what is causing Blizz's sub numbers to go down imho, which does also mean OW2 could be really big if everyone comes back to see what is up!

• Like 1

Glad you got something for your passion, is there even a small chance you will have a sc2 coop section? Its really fun pve content with lots of room for in depth guides 😄

Edited by Mishmish
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mishmish said:

Glad you got something for your passion, is there even a small chance you will have a sc2 coop section? Its really fun pve content with lots of room for in depth guides 😄

I think it's very unlikely. We did try a SC2 section at one point, but it got almost no traffic and we didn't pursue it further.

Hey ! good luck for the next steps, and glad you decided to stay. Icy Veins is one of the best sources.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Overwatch doesn't lend itself to written content, so there is little chance that the section would be revived.

Understandable, so will the Borderlands and Overwatch categories be removed? Since they've been abandoned for so long, it looks like there is no need to keep them around.

8 hours ago, Devylknyght said:

All good as long as they are not super corrupt and agenda driven like Fanbyte is (wowhead).

What's up with Wowhead/Fanbyte?  I hate how bloated wowhead is, but I don't know anything about the bigger picture.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thurk said:

What's up with Wowhead/Fanbyte?  I hate how bloated wowhead is, but I don't know anything about the bigger picture.

They have websites with journalists that include political propaganda in their articles, and then they promote and link to those articles in their Wowhead mainpage news feed. Then they immediately remove comments and warn/ban users for having dissenting opinions.  

Here is such a post still up on the wowhead news feed:

https://www.wowhead.com/news/fanbyte-weekly-news-picks-mortal-kombat-movie-nintendo-direct-apple-subpoenas-321098

And here is article link from that page:

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/heres-everything-you-missed-from-todays-nintendo-direct/

If you want to post junk like that, whatever. But don't then silence your users when they want to comment back about it. 

Edited by Devylknyght
added context
  • Like 2

Not sure if on a related note, but could you separate somehow posts (more precise spoilers) from PTR WoW from regular posts? Hard to follow and somehow skip the "less wanted" info from you, on Facebook at least.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

I think it's very unlikely. We did try a SC2 section at one point, but it got almost no traffic and we didn't pursue it further.

Fair enough, guess i will just have to tell all my friend list to join coop and give you guys traffic. 

• Like 1