Jump to content
FORUMS
Damien

Protection Paladin Leveling guide

Recommended Posts

This thread is for comments about our Protection Paladin Leveling guide for TBC Classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Mike

How viable is leveling as Prot Paladin in TBC vs. leveling as Retribution? I am Prot right now and I want to play Prot in TBC content, I am just a bit worried that the spec will be a lot slower and clunkier to level with than the Ret counterpart. Obviously I would like to save the gold from changing talents too much, so staying Prot and leveling with a TBC Dungeon Tank build would be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guest Mike said:

How viable is leveling as Prot Paladin in TBC vs. leveling as Retribution? I am Prot right now and I want to play Prot in TBC content, I am just a bit worried that the spec will be a lot slower and clunkier to level with than the Ret counterpart. Obviously I would like to save the gold from changing talents too much, so staying Prot and leveling with a TBC Dungeon Tank build would be ideal.

Hey Mike! Thanks for checking out the guide. So that depends on your plans for leveling, if you are going to be in a group of people you know without a tank and plan on doing dungeons most of your leveling I'd say Prot is the way to go. Prot solo leveling is for sure viable but not optimal especially if you are going into Outland in the boosted gear they give you because of its poor stats. Tanking in pugs to level is for sure an option but if it were up to me I'd play ret if I didn't have a group I was confident in going into TBC to level with but there is a lot of really good pieces you can get while questing in Outland and can transition into prot in the later 60s so you'd only really need to respec once. Just keep an eye out for plate that has spell power on it, spell damage 1 handed weapons, and things with defense on them. I hope this helped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just letting you know that the talent slider points spent for levels under level 70 don't work, since you have talents selected that require level 70 with the slider as low as level 49.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NashEquil said:

Just letting you know that the talent slider points spent for levels under level 70 don't work, since you have talents selected that require level 70 with the slider as low as level 49.

Hey Nash! is there anyway you could send me a screenshot or post an image here about what you're seeing?  This is what shows up on my end with the slider at level 49, all of those things should be obtainable at level 49.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, Sellinz said:

Hey Nash! is there anyway you could send me a screenshot or post an image here about what you're seeing?  This is what shows up on my end with the slider at level 49, all of those things should be obtainable at level 49.

image.png

Sorry was level 50. I dont think it is possible to get Avenger's Shield till level 70 is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NashEquil said:

Sorry was level 50. I dont think it is possible to get Avenger's Shield till level 70 is it?

Hey Nash, thanks for getting back to me. You can indeed get Avenger's Shield at level 50, you may have seen a tooltip that showed a higher rank that you can train at 70 but as long as you have 40 talent points in the Protection talent tree your 41st point can be spent on Avenger's Shield, which is possible at level 50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently leveling as prot. My son is my pocket dps with his warlock. My mana runs out after 1-2 mobs while questing. Will this get better? I feel like I can't even use the main abilities listed in the guide because I go out of mana so quickly. Thanks for any help here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mattyheroic said:

I am currently leveling as prot. My son is my pocket dps with his warlock. My mana runs out after 1-2 mobs while questing. Will this get better? I feel like I can't even use the main abilities listed in the guide because I go out of mana so quickly. Thanks for any help here. 

Hey Matty! I don't know what level you are at so it's hard to say exactly, Prot's biggest mana regen comes from Spiritually Attunement which gives you mana back when you get healed by an Ally, but since you aren't leveling with a healer you aren't able to really benefit from that. To lessen your downtime I'd make sure you are keeping Blessing of Wisdom up on yourself, don't hesitate on getting gear with Int on it even if it's lower armor value if you aren't running dungeons, your survivability should be more than enough if you guys are just questing, also consider using Seal of Wisdom both as what you judge on mobs and what you melee attack with. I hope this helps and that you guys continue to have a good time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Seal of the crusader

You say to judge seal of the crusader starting at level six for the extra holy damage. At that level with a mace and shield I am giving up 24 damage from judging seal of the righteous to pick up one additional damage per hit. My fights are not lasting 24 hits so it seems to be a rather big net loss for me. What am I missing?

BTW, I love the guide. I'm just confused on this point as seal of crusader has always seemed useless to me except for raising weapon skill and I find myself once again trying to understand it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Guest Seal of the crusader said:

You say to judge seal of the crusader starting at level six for the extra holy damage. At that level with a mace and shield I am giving up 24 damage from judging seal of the righteous to pick up one additional damage per hit. My fights are not lasting 24 hits so it seems to be a rather big net loss for me. What am I missing?

BTW, I love the guide. I'm just confused on this point as seal of crusader has always seemed useless to me except for raising weapon skill and I find myself once again trying to understand it.

Hey! I really appreciate you reaching out and your kind words about the guide. You're right that the seal itself doesn't do a ton for you other than the increased attack speed for things like leveling weapon skill, but it's a good habit to get into because the more you level the longer fights against mobs will be and the more you will see the benefit from the debuff of Judgement of the Crusader, it honestly may be a bit slower at the level you mentioned but I think the difference in the holy damage you will deal from having it active will become noticeable in the somewhat near future. 

 

Again, thanks for checking it out and I really am glad to receive your feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...