Protection Paladin Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
On this page, we will go over everything you need to know to Level up your Protection Paladin to get ready for Shadowlands end game content. Make sure to use the slider to make the guide adapt to your level. If you are looking for more generic leveling guide you can refer to our Paladin leveling guide.
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level, but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as an Protection Paladin
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Holy Shield defensively, or Blessed Hammer for quality of life
- Level 25: First Avenger for survival in AoE, Crusader's Judgment for single-target
- Level 30: Fist of Justice
- Level 35: Cavalier
- Level 40: Divine Purpose
- Level 45: Consecrated Ground
- Level 50: Sanctified Wrath
Rotation to Level Up as a Protection Paladin
Protection Paladin rotation is a priority system, that means you do not have a strict rotation, but rather when two abilities become available at the same time, you prioritize which one to press according to the rotation below.
When you first create your Paladin, you will only have one ability available to you: Crusader Strike. Once you reach level 10, you can officially spec into Protection and gain access to Avenger's Shield.
- Cast Judgment to generate Holy Power.
- Cast Hammer of Wrath on targets below 20% health to generate Holy Power.
- Cast Avenger's Shield to generate Holy Power; this spell goes highest in priority for damage against 3+ targets.
- Cast Crusader Strike.
- Your Crusader Strike will now become Hammer of the Righteous.
- Cast Hammer of the Righteous/ Blessed Hammer.
- Cast Consecration
- If you have completed the Shadowlands story before, you can pick your covenant and start to use that ability.
Active mitigation comes into play most of the time when leveling, since we get Shield of the Righteous already at level 2. This means that we can spend our Holy Power on dealing AoE damage while also reducing physical damage taken by increasing our Armor.
Starting at Level 10, the Dungeon Finder opens up, and you can now queue up and test your tanking capabilities. Tanking at this level should not be to complicated, but it can definitely be very frustrating as other players will generally try to rush through it since it is such low level. This means you may not learn a lot about tanking the first few dungeons, but keep playing and you will learn while leveling. A more in depth analysis of the rotation can be found on the rotation page linked here.
As you progress through the Shadowlands you will unlock new active and passive abilities.
- Concentration Aura is unlocked. This aura will reduce the effectiveness of interrupt and silence effects by 30%.
- Sense Undead is unlocked. This ability will show you where undead enemies are on your minimap when activated.
- Retribution Aura Rank 2 is unlocked. This increases the duration of the Avenging Wrath buff that you get by 4 seconds.
- Hammer of Wrath Rank 2 is unlocked. This allows you to cast Hammer of Wrath during Avenging Wrath regardless of their health percentage.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Protection Paladin
To prevent cluttering the guide with a lot of the same information, we recommend you take a look at our dedicated spell page which will provide you with more in-depth information on Protection Paladin spells.
Protection Paladin PvP Talents for Leveling
- Steed of Glory increases the duration of Divine Steed by 2 seconds, which means you can travel a lot further per Steed charge, allowing you to quickly get between two places. Note, however, that it does cause you to knock back enemies that get close to you, which can be a negative aspect if you are trying to gather them up to AoE.
- Warrior of Light makes Shield of the Righteous deal 30% more damage at the cost of less armor granted. This is generally fine for outdoor content since tanks usually do not struggle to survive in outdoor content.
- Unbound Freedom turns your Blessing of Freedom into a 30% speed increase, helping you get around slightly faster when questing and leveling.
Best Heirloom Items for Protection Paladin Leveling
When making the decision of which heirlooms to purchase or use, you will want to target items that offer the most Strength. Choosing item pieces with Haste can help you killing enemies fast and more consistent, as the overall time until you gain enough Holy Power to use your Spender, which usually acts as your finishing move, is reduced with more Haste.
You should equip new quest rewards when their item level starts beating out your previous set of gear.
There are several consumable items that can be purchased that will help you with your leveling speed.
- Gunshoes are a mandatory item for leveling. They provide an extremely large movement speed increase. It is a bonus comparable to what you get when flying. It is highly recommended you stock up on these items when leveling in Shadowlands.
- Goblin Glider Kit can be a life-saver when jumping off large cliffs or when you want to cover a long distance.
The Gunshoes will not let you stop moving as long as they are active. Using this macro twice will click the buff off and allow you to stop.
- /use Gunshoes
- /cancelaura Gunshoes
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 10 May 2021: Added line for where Crusader Strike priority between level 10 to 14.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 28 Dec. 2020: Updated the moment where Crusader Strike changes to Hammer of the Righteous from level 10 to 14.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Included Shadowlands leveling updates.
- 11 Nov. 2020: Updated level requirement for the dungeon finder.
- Druid Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- The Death of 10 Man Competitive Raiding (Video)
- How to Catch Up on Companion XP in Patch 9.1.5
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622 Class Changes
- Patch 9.1.5 and 9.2 Release Date Predictions
- Lightforged Ruinstrider (Lightforged Draenei Paladin Mount) in Patch 9.1.5
- Warlock Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622)
- Shaman Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5