FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Anduin and Sylvanas Cutscene, Very Significant and VERY WIP

Clipboard01.jpg

There's a new cutscene on the PTR, which might hold a lot of significance, as Anduin and Sylvanas talk. However, we don't yet know what they're saying as the audio and text parts have not been added yet, but we have a somewhat solid idea/theory of what's going on.
Obviously major potential spoilers.

The blue box in the middle that isn't rendered yet is supposed to be Anduin's/Varian's compass that was found on the Broken Shore where Varian died. The conversation takes place in Korthia, with the mood not being too bright, as you can see from the two having the conversation and from the ones watching. The cutscene is named "Anduin's Goodbye" in the game files and has lead to some (hasty) speculation about Anduin's fate from some in the community, but let's take a look first:

While there isn't much to be seen above, we can conclude/assume some things based on what we already know (this is entirely my personal speculation, however?

• This happens some time after the 9.1 Kingsmourne intro cinematic, as Korthia seemed to be arriving to the Maw during it (but it may have been there for a while, we can't be sure).
  • The Compass is being used to either extract a memory or secure a link with Anduin directly, so we're either seeing something from the past or "live" during the quest.
  • I strongly assume that this happens BEFORE the Sanctum of Domination raid, where we see Anduin fight us in the final phase of the Sylvanas encounter. While it may be a post-raid quest that unlocks this, it's much more likely that it happens during our campaign in Korthia, to give us a bigger connection with Anduin and add some depth to Sylvanas before we meet them in the final encounter of the raid.
  • Some have speculated that this might indicate a very bad end for Anduin after that Sanctum fight, but I would say that this happens before. The "Anduin's Goodbye", in my opinion, refers to him losing his free will "permanently"/giving up the struggle after gaining back some of it in waves, as we've seen in the Kingsmourne cutscene, as he tells Syvanas that he can't resist the Jailer anymore, even for brief periods. The goodbye then refers to his "final" thoughts as Anduin and not the Jailer's vessel/weapon, presumably to say something poignant to Sylvanas, as she's not too happy with what's happening to him as has been hinted at in the Kingsmourne cutscene. This then also might play in to her eventual/possible/partial redemption as Anduin's influence may sway her in some key moment. Alternatively, as Anduin doesn't seem the sort to just give up, it could also be an entirely different context for the goodbye, but my main point is that I find it unlikely to happen post-raid or that it indicates Anduin's long-term fate in any way.
  • I'd also wager that we do in fact return Anduin from this mindless/pawn state post-Sanctum, perhaps not in 9.1 but at some point before the end of the Shadowlands. Personally I'm still rooting for Arthas to play into it somehow, as the Jailer is busy with his grand agenda and Anduin gets some help from an unlikely place.

What do you think is happening in the cutscene? Is Anduin doomed post-Sanctum?

I just hope we don't lose Anduin after the raid. I know that they're planning something with the Alliance civil war for the future. I just hope Anduin will still be around

58 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

I just hope we don't lose Anduin after the raid. I know that they're planning something with the Alliance civil war for the future. I just hope Anduin will still be around

Source for that? I'd be interested in seeing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ixa said:

Source for that? I'd be interested in seeing it.

The devs hinted that there will be problems in the Alliance several times by now

2 hours ago, Dejo93 said:

The devs hinted that there will be problems in the Alliance several times by now

a link to the source would be nice

because to me its news and i have watched the dev interviews and cant really recall it

i did a little research and apparently there was a rumor in 2019 and in 2020 but this was all based on pre shadowlands so i am very interested in your sources because i can't find any refferences that would hint a alliance civil war

and it wouldn't make much sense to me afaik in 9.1 the tyrande story dont indicate a rebellion or seperation of the night elvs from the alliance

and since genn is still haunted by guilt over the anduin taking hostage thing i cant imagine and cant see anything that would indicate him from starting a civil war especially since he and turalyon haven't really shown anything that would hint an uprising nor does genn shown a desire for claiming the title of high king

neither does jaina or the dwarfs and least of all valen

Edited by Nayrusa
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Nayrusa said:

a link to the source would be nice

It stems from this interview.

World of Warcraft’s next patch tackles Battle for Azeroth’s biggest flaws - Polygon

“In this case, [player choice] felt right for the Horde. Alliance don’t have that same division in their ranks just yet, and there isn’t that same natural point of choice.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Halock said:

It stems from this interview.

World of Warcraft’s next patch tackles Battle for Azeroth’s biggest flaws - Polygon

“In this case, [player choice] felt right for the Horde. Alliance don’t have that same division in their ranks just yet, and there isn’t that same natural point of choice.”

Ah okay there is the base for the rumor in 2019 but its all based on the " yet " but they rumor does not include the

"We do it when the story makes sense, and we do it when there are real consequences and real follow through.”

that makes it at least for me a pretty long shot
but i guess we have to wait at the very least for the release of 9.1

thanks for the source

Think it needs to be 2 Alliance leaders that players need a way to kill off in a major Raid to compensate the removal of Garrosh and Sylvannas on Horde Side.  BFA Horde players were denied in the ability of killing off Jaina.  

2 hours ago, Ragingwolf said:

Think it needs to be 2 Alliance leaders that players need a way to kill off in a major Raid to compensate the removal of Garrosh and Sylvannas on Horde Side.  BFA Horde players were denied in the ability of killing off Jaina.  

Two Alliance leaders... wait, easy! Thrall and Baine! 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Halock said:

Two Alliance leaders... wait, easy! Thrall and Baine! 

Oh snap!

11 hours ago, Dejo93 said:

To be honest, interviews aren't a great source of information. They often changed or contradicted what they've previously said.