FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Affliction Tips & Quirks

What is your ilev?

My ilevel is 524 and i've pushed closer to 300k on this fight.

I got a few reserve heroic peices i'm holding back until i determine if losing my 4 piece is worth it.

I feel they do it right, because players was just using it like a new-bugged and trashy playstyle for Affliction.

Next couple weeks we can see how this bug was messing with Raidbot ranks.

I know, right?

I got a few reserve heroic peices i'm holding back until i determine if losing my 4 piece is worth it.

Ahh, im only 515, that probably explains that.

Idk about the 4 set, its nice to have but not worth losing out on good gear for it. I would only change to a teir item to get 4set if its the same ilev or better than before, never less.

4 set is nice for Affliction...not sure on the math, but I think the 4pc is worth 2-3% of your DPS. You could always use Simcraft to model the difference in single target DPS between 4 set and your 2 set with heroic pieces. That should give you a reasonable estimate as to what you'll gain or lose.

I feel they do it right, because players was just using it like a new-bugged and trashy playstyle for Affliction.

Next couple weeks we can see how this bug was messing with Raidbot ranks.

You will see a massive drop in Affliction DPS on Council, Megaera, and Iron Qon where Affliction is about 50% higher than the 2nd best spec. On Raidbots, you'll see a massive peak where Affliction puts other specs to shame but it will soon plummet back down where it belongs.

I Still believe in Affliction, I'm doing OK in Normal Mode right now, with ilvl 522, stacking full Haste, around 15300.

288k DPS at Jinrohk was insane. And I feel Aff scales better than Destro with more ilvl in Single Targets fight.

But IDK if with heroic progression I could maintain Aff, for Ji-kun and Jinrohk and Iron Qon It's Ok, but later, maybe I need to change to Demo + Destro with 8100 Haste + Full mastery.

And I feel Aff scales better than Destro with more ilvl in Single Targets fight.

Your right, when everyone is getting 20k and above haste we can all go back to affliction. I look forward to this day.

Haste stacking will eventually not provide as much DPS as Mastery. In fact, I believe we've come to that tipping point already half way through the expansion.

Remember at the beginning of the expansion how I explained that Haste was fantastic early at smaller amounts but because the way the formula works that Haste would slow down in its DPS increase? Well, I'm pretty sure we've hit it. We're already discussing 1.0 sec casts on many spells, so more Haste makes the queue time waiting for the GCD a complete waste. Are you REALLY getting the extra bang for your buck when you shove into the next Haste threshold to get more ticks of a DoT in the same duration versus increasing their damage overall? I'm going to argue no.

Remember that Haste works like this:

Cast Time = Base Cast Time / (1 + Haste)

Because this value is in the denominator of a formula, the math around it means the more of it you get, the less of an effect it makes per point as you increase it. I know I ran this before, but I'll show you the same thing for a 3 second cast time spell here for emphasis.

For a base cast time of 3 seconds, you get the following cast times at the appropriate levels of Haste:

0% = 3.00 sec

10% = 2.727 sec

20% = 2.500 sec

30% = 2.308 sec

40% = 2.143 sec

50% = 2.000 sec

60% = 1.875 sec

70% = 1.765 sec

80% = 1.666 sec

90% = 1.579 sec

100% = 1.50 sec

Now let's look again at the NET time gained per cast by the same percentages:

0% = 0.000 sec

10% = .273 sec

20% = .227 sec

30% = .192 sec

40% = .165 sec

50% = .143 sec

60% = .125 sec

70% = .110 sec

80% = .098 sec

90% = .087 sec

100% = .079 sec

See the diminishing effect? I've said it before and I'll say it again...Haste diminishes as you acquire more of it while Mastery is linear and only increases constantly as you gain more of it. Haste is great up to a point and then Mastery becomes better and never looks back. Even with the consideration of RPPM trinkets and DoT spell ticks gained, Mastery will still prove to be better than Haste. You're starting to see the trend kicking in as more and more Warlocks realize this across the board. Lots of Warlocks, regardless of spec, are taking more Mastery. You will see this number increase exponentially as we increase our gear levels today and forthcoming as well as acquiring higher item levels.

Now it goes without saying that the difference is typically small. However, I'm almost 100% confident that Mastery will overpower Haste for all specs because of how Blizzard let these stats get out of hand. We have an entire additional tier coming and we see some Fire Mages at 45% crit and a lot of classes able to get to 40% Haste raid buffed. What will we climb to in T16? Since they can't do a number crunch in the middle of an xpac (they could, but they won't) expect to see absurd numbers, but not in Haste.

The whole Haste net gain apart, I assume haste really drops of value when MG drops below 1sec cast with Dark Soul or LMG.

I will try reforge some Haste at Mastery and See if the dps significant drop or increase.

I'm with 15300/4800 Mastery, maybe will reforge until 10701 Haste/ 9500~ Mastery.

Edited by JvChequer

I Still believe in Affliction, I'm doing OK in Normal Mode right now, with ilvl 522, stacking full Haste, around 15300.

Ok, how is this possible? I'm at 522 and even with everything reforged and gemmed for haste, I'm only at 9500 or so. And mastery is around 6800 ish. I assume you're not hit capped? or something?

Ok, how is this possible? I'm at 522 and even with everything reforged and gemmed for haste, I'm only at 9500 or so. And mastery is around 6800 ish. I assume you're not hit capped? or something?

Hitcaped Indeed.

Right now I'm running 9886 Haste and 11016 Mastery with ilvl 526 but all way reforging to Haste I can stay with 15502 and 5359 Mastery.

My crit chance it's pretty low, only 2846.

Edited by JvChequer

You must be considering raid buffs. I'm at 532 ilvl and I run with 10800 Mastery and 8600 Haste. Not real sure how you're squeezing out almost 2500 worth of extra secondary stats with 6 less item levels...with Mastery buff, I run with 13800 Mastery and 8600 Haste although the 8600 Haste gets a 5% increase to the percentage, not the rating.

http://us.battle.net...hequer/advanced

x

http://us.battle.net.../Zagam/advanced

U have 20486 Intelect and 28k Secondary stats

I got Only 17316 Intelect and 28,9k Secondary stats.

That's because I dont have JWC like u - it's kinda crappy trade 160 secondary stats + 160 int for 320 int points, IMO JWC it's the lamest profession for caster, plus the UVLS x Wushy it's 1,5k+ secondary.

Plus, the Crafted boots it's better than your Iron Qon's Boots.

That's why I have more Secondary and WAAAY less int.

As I say, i can running 15600~ Haste with reforging all way to Haste, but my mastery goes to hell. Let's see this week, raiding with 9900/11k reforge, if i go well in some fights, in Megaera my dps was low compared with past week.

Edited by JvChequer

Normal Orange gems are 80 of primary stat and 160 of a secondary, not 160/160, or no one would be a JC. Yeah, Engineering is better, but I'm a collector and I have almost every JC pattern. Not dropping that. Besides, here's how it weighs out:

2x Red JC Gems = 640 Intellect

2x Orange gems = 160 Intellect + 320 Mastery

Since you can't do orange JC gems (not sure why), JC isn't bad. If you were to compare JC to normal gems, it's no different than any of the other static Intellect bonus professions like Enchanting.

ULVS is an static Intellect buff, so if you're using that and Wush and I'm using ULVS and Breath, they're equivalent in terms of itemization. Wush just gives 1700 Hit while Breath gives 1700 Haste. Still not sure where you're getting the extra stats, and it's definitely not from the boots. PS: not crafting boots for 25k+ gold when I've been reliably killing Heroic Iron Qon for 5 or 6 weeks. I'm just waiting on them to drop or the coin to flip them to me (same for Shoulders and ring).

I also have 533 item level, 2.2k crit 9.2k haste and 11.6k mastery. If I go all in on haste, I cannot paste 13.1k, I have no idea how you can have that much haste o.O

Lol, I totally misunderstood JWC, sorry, You're right about the extra stats.

I'm using Wushy and Breath, not Breath and UVLS. xD

Ok i'm linking my character. I currently play affliction/destruction

Do you think I should change my secondary stats to up my dps?

- I've simcrafted a few iterations and it's coming back inconclusive and I know sim'ing isn't always best way to look at it (as per using glyph of soul swap drops it 10-20k dps??, lol)

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Illidan/Obleak/

Ok i'm linking my character. I currently play affliction/destruction

Do you think I should change my secondary stats to up my dps?

- I've simcrafted a few iterations and it's coming back inconclusive and I know sim'ing isn't always best way to look at it (as per using glyph of soul swap drops it 10-20k dps??, lol)

http://www.wow-heroe...Illidan/Obleak/

Given that you don't yet have the LMG; you might see slightly better results from getting closer to a haste breakpoint and putting more into mastery; it's really not going to make a significant difference to your DPS though unless mechanics of individual fights favour one stat over another (if you're going to be firing and forgetting dots, a lower haste breakpoint and heavy focus on mastery will return better results; if you're going to be focus firing a single add, a higher haste breakpoint and lower mastery will be preferred.

You may also want to enchant your boots

BAHA! I didn't see my boots wasn't enchanted.. how silly of me. Thanks for that lol

I'm getting closer to the Legendary Meta... the secrets will just never drop! :c

Edited by obleak

I back to Full Haste reforging, after tested it for one week.

I feel "wrong" with almost 20% less haste.

Play with full haste do provide less AOE/cleave dmg, but, wreck it, 36,8% Unbuffed Haste it`s just awesome and very fun to play.

Plus, now Seed of Corruption require less dmg to explode, at least I noticed that. I can chain cast SoC now, since 5.3 it's up. So, More SoC = better aoe dmg. It's not a big loss in the end, go for Haste.

Maybe when I reach 50% buffed Haste i go for mastery, because the GCD cap.

Edited by JvChequer

Interesting.. you're doing enough damage to just cast SoC over and over and over? with the occasional Sb:SoC, correct?

Aoe is my most disappointing part of Aff.. especially with the Destro change my AoE is amazingly high with it.

Interesting.. you're doing enough damage to just cast SoC over and over and over? with the occasional Sb:SoC, correct?

Yes.

Maybe in 5.3 they lowered the dmg necessary or something like this, I'll test it again in dummies, but I'm pretty sure that now I can chaincast Soc with regular dots and they will explode everytime.

interesting. i'd like that to be the case

It works. I did it yesterday. Big increase in DPS. Not sure if they lowered the damage requirements, or if after all the item upgrades the regular dots do enough damage in 3 seconds to pop it.

It works idd.

Just to Note, my mastery it's pretty low - 51% unbuffed.

So it's not because my dots became stronger of something like this, also with my 36,7% unbuffed haste, I chaincast SoC pretty fast.

And the AOE dmg increase a lot, without the need of delay a little the cast to the past SoC explode.

• Like 1