Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Blizzard Co-Leader Jen Oneal Leaves Blizzard, Mike Ybarra Becomes Sole Leader

Recommended Posts

FbsgUaK.jpg

Jen Oneal, named co-leader of Blizzard Entertainment in August 2021, has left the company.

Activision Blizzard announced that Jen Oneal is stepping down from her role as Blizzard co-leader, according to Venture Beat. As a result, Mike Ybarra will become the sole leader of Blizzard. 

Mike Ybarra and Jen Oneal were named co-leaders after J. Allen Brack departed the company on August 3, 2021. Here is what Oneal had to say about her departure:

“I am doing this not because I am without hope for Blizzard, quite the opposite — I’m inspired by the passion of everyone here, working towards meaningful, lasting change with their whole hearts,” Oneal notes in her goodbye letter. “This energy has inspired me to step out and explore how I can do more to have games and diversity intersect, and hopefully make a broader industry impact that will benefit Blizzard (and other studios) as well. While I am not totally sure what form that will take, I am excited to embark on a new journey to find out.”

Jen Oneal was the head of Vicarious Visions, which Activision absorbed into Blizzard earlier this year. Make sure to read the whole post over at Venture Beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Prophet001 said:

Hmm... wonder if we'll ever know why she left.

If the last sentence is any clue, I have a hunch she's probably as unhappy on how everything down with the VV team. She likely didn't feel like part of the Blizzard future because the VV team couldnt have their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, lasted less than 3 months.  Great sign for the company going forward.  I mean something had to have drastically changed in 3 months cause I mean really she was on the job for 3 months so either she really didn't like something or the even higher ups didn't like what she was doing ( but how much could she have really done in 3 months?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of Jeff Kaplan's departure. Very sudden, at least this is what is shown to the public, there might be more to it. Also this quote: "This energy has inspired me to step out and explore how I can do more to have games and diversity intersect". Similar wording to Brack's reason for "leaving to explore new business opportunities".

 

Edited by Arcling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fine with her gone. Someone who's whole goal in the industry is to "woke" it instead of just trying to make fun games isn't someone I want in charge at Blizz.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stan said:

how I can do more to have games and diversity intersect, and hopefully make a broader industry impact

Well, aren't you a bright and fresh ray of sunshine? Thanks for letting me know Jen, I'll be sure to ignore any product you've been involved in. The co-leader situation was ridiculous anyway, but now Blizzard is ''headed'' by what seems to be a nice guy in a position lesser than that of JAB. Activision will say 'Jump!' and Ybarra will ask 'How high?' I'm not optimistic about Blizzard's future at all.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Logarithm said:

I'm fine with her gone. Someone who's whole goal in the industry is to "woke" it instead of just trying to make fun games isn't someone I want in charge at Blizz.

Based

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now the only one left is the boost seller himself 😄 maybe they should rename blizzard into ybarras boosting service "give me your money i show you the endgame"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt we will ever know for certain, but I just can't see someone taking a CEO level position, then bailing in under 6 months unless there are major issues. I also can't see a company donating a million dollars on behalf of a CEO who leaves under those circumstances, unless it is hush money to keep them from blabbing about something shady.

Edited by Atroxus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2021 at 10:07 PM, Calorat said:

Wow, lasted less than 3 months.  Great sign for the company going forward.  I mean something had to have drastically changed in 3 months cause I mean really she was on the job for 3 months so either she really didn't like something or the even higher ups didn't like what she was doing ( but how much could she have really done in 3 months?)

She likely wanted to do stuff they didn't like and people in power, man or woman, do not like to lose that power, its how it is....all people with power want, is more power.

Or, she tried to be controlling and the men just didn't bow down to her demands and she left...both are possible reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Staff
      Blizzard games like World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, and Overwatch 2 might soon make a comeback in China, thanks to Blizzard reportedly teaming up again with NetEase.
      The news comes from Core Esports, which suggests Blizzard's game services could be back by the end of March or the beginning of April.
      After 14 years of partnership, Blizzard and NetEase hit a rough patch in 2022, leading to failed negotiations. Consequently, when the licensing agreement concluded on January 23, 2023, Blizzard's game services were suspended across mainland China.
      For more details, you can check out the article in Chinese or find an English translation by Amy Chen on esports.gg.
    • By Staff
      As the Microsoft-Activision deal closes, Bobby Kotick will only stay on as CEO through the end of the year and leave on January 1, 2024.
      Placeholder for tweet 1712818483442987422 Based on the value of his shares, Robert Kotick will leave with around $400 million and if Microsoft/Xbox wants to get rid of Kotick, he will also receive a minimum payout of $250 million.

      Image courtesy of Dexterto.
    • By Staff
      According to WSJ, Bobby Kotick, former CEO of Activision Blizzard, has floated the idea of buying TikTok to potential partners.
      Former Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick has reportedly shown interest in purchasing TikTok, as legislation in the U.S. threatens to ban or force the sale of the popular app over national security concerns.
      Kotick is said to be seeking partners for the potential acquisition, discussing the opportunity with notable figures including OpenAI CEO Sam Altman. The move comes amid growing scrutiny over TikTok's data privacy practices and its ties to China, with U.S. lawmakers pushing for decisive action.
      You can read the whole news piece over at WSJ.
      Bobby Kotick left his position at Activision Blizzard in December 2023 after Microsoft finalized its purchase of the company. Post-acquisition, he reportedly received over $375 million, as detailed by Forbes.
      Source: WSJ 
×
×
  • Create New...