FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

Microsoft Nears Deal to Buy Activision Blizzard for Nearly $70 Billion

3UjoXcp.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports that Microsoft is nearing a deal to buy Activision Blizzard for nearly $70 billion, which is the largest deal of all time in the sector.

Microsoft is set to acquire Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion including net cash. The company will pay $95 a share for Activision Blizzard. A Microsoft PR person told Bloomberg journalist Jason Schreier that Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard. Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer, CEO of Microsoft Gaming.

Placeholder for tweet 1483432118441099266

When the transaction closes, Microsoft will become the world's third-largest gaming company by revenue, behind Tencent and Sony. The planned acquisition includes iconic franchises from Activision, Blizzard and King studios like "Warcraft," "Diablo," "Overwatch," "Call of Duty" and "Candy Crush," in addition to global esports activities through Major League Gaming.

[Read Full Article]

Source: The Wall Street Journal

• Like 1

Hurray! While Microsoft does not always have the best development ideas for games, but I feel Activision is too far gone for us gamers to expect it to change for the better on its own. At least, a change in ownership allows room for hope. 😏

Uncommon Patron

Not sure if I like this or not. If Microsoft doesn't interfere with game development it should be alright I guess.

Does that mean that activision will no longer have a grasp on blizzard and it will turn into microsoft blizzard?? i dont know how these things work honestly 😕

50 minutes ago, Calysia said:

If Microsoft doesn't interfere with game development it should be alright I guess.

I'd say Blizzard need some changes. Their games aren't great lately.

33 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

huh, was imagining Riot merging with Blizz, so we have a LoL and WoW crossover XD

Oh well

That's kinda Heroes of the Storm

Honestly, could it get much worse than what Activision has done to our games? Maybe the gropey scandal lowered the price enough for Microsoft to get them and hopefully return things to the Blizzard way. 

• Like 1

The question is  whether we can have the games on steam or not... 

Edited by MZLICH

1 hour ago, PepperAmmy said:

step 1 fire bobby

step 2 purge dodgy workers

step 3 try and re kindle peoples love for blizzard games before its too late

Got some good news for you

1 hour ago, zigrifid said:

Does that mean that activision will no longer have a grasp on blizzard and it will turn into microsoft blizzard?? i dont know how these things work honestly 😕

No, Activision and Blizzard are kind of the same thing, it's not going anywhere, it's just that Microsoft will now blanket them both, and they'll have access to a higher budget.

1 hour ago, PepperAmmy said:

step 1 fire bobby

Unfortunately, the deal has been announced and MS/ABK decided that Step 1 was off the table.  In fact, Kotick gets to keep his job as ABK's CEO, despite the shareholder lawsuit that looks to have him kicked, despite his own, past legal/ethical harassment issues, and history of having led ABK into this mess.  Doesn't seem like the right guy to lead the company out of it to me, but WTF do I know? 🤷‍♂️

59 minutes ago, Logarithm said:

Honestly, could it get much worse than what Activision has done to our games? Maybe the gropey scandal lowered the price enough for Microsoft to get them and hopefully return things to the Blizzard way. 

Gave ABK a 45% premium per share OVER what it was priced BEFORE this *filtered* went down last July, from announcement I read in an article elsewhere, just a few minutes ago.

Edited by Danthalas

2 hours ago, PepperAmmy said:

step 1 fire bobby

Guess again boyo - he officially stays even after the transaction

Uncommon Patron
3 hours ago, PepperAmmy said:

step 1 fire bobby

'fraid not:

"Microsoft has said that Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick will continue to serve in that position, but will report to Spencer after the deal closes."

Edited by Calysia

Uncommon Patron
1 hour ago, Danthalas said:

Gave ABK a 45% premium per share OVER what it was priced BEFORE this *filtered* went down last July, from announcement I read in an article elsewhere, just a few minutes ago.

It was actually a 69% premium.

1 hour ago, RaidenTheLion said:

No, Activision and Blizzard are kind of the same thing, it's not going anywhere, it's just that Microsoft will now blanket them both, and they'll have access to a higher budget.

More precisely, they will acquire Activision Blizzard holding (which came to be from the merger of Activision and Vivendi Games, which owned studios like Blizzard and some that don't exist anymore, like Sierra), which owns Activision (publishing and devs), Blizzard, King and MLG (e-sports). King as a mobile studio is their largest acquisition, they are making the most money for them, way above any other of their studios.

Hard to say if it's any positive or not, they might operate mostly the same under new owner. Perhaps they will push them to release some games faster, as OW2 especially, is taking too long to release.

Edited by Arcling

2 hours ago, Logarithm said:

That's kinda Heroes of the Storm

I meant more of a WoW expansion in LoL universe

39 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

I meant more of a WoW expansion in LoL universe

I honestly very much hope not. They're 2 completely different games and there is no need for a crossover into the WoW universe. We've already seen what happens when WoW's writers exceed their scope.

19 hours ago, Logarithm said:

That's EXACTLY what happened. Kotaku's sources were saying that Microsoft didn't start making offers until the second round of allegations that directly implicated Kotick tanked the share price of ABK even further.