TheZanthex

Brewmaster Monk low DPS?

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum so I'm sorry if I missed anything or if I'm a bit confusing in my approach. I just have a few questions -

I've been playing a BrM monk for a few months now and I really am loving the class + spec. It's the first tank class that I've legitimately enjoyed and, after seeing ridiculously high numbers pulled by BrM monks in other 10m groups I couldn't wait to get to that threshold.

However, that never really happened.

Despite my reasonably high itemlevel (560) and over 50% crit with my current build, I find myself struggling to hold about 100-110k DPS at any given time. I've gone through normal once or twice with our guild's heroic group on alt runs, but I've never come close to the damage that I've seen other monks pull.

As a reference point, we had a 574 ish BrM as a tank for our heroic group for a brief spell and I never saw him drop below 200k+ single target DPS. When I asked him about it, he told me he used tiger palm pretty much on every empty GCD, and sure enough tiger palm was his #1 damaging ability. I attempted to follow suit but was unable to replicate anything -close- to that.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what but I'm just not doing the damage I see other brewmasters do. This is more noticable on single target fights as I'm normally able to do decently on AoE encounters.

I was talking to another brewmaster that I had in LFR the other day who was 15 ish itemlevels below me yet pulling the same (if not more) damage. She told me she was using rushing jade wind a LOT (nearly on CD) and I did notice a decent increase in DPS, as RJW was my #1 damaging ability. Yet even though it increased my damage I still am not doing as much as I think I should be doing.

I use Keg Smash + Chi Wave pretty much on CD (though Chi wave could definitely use some work) and I have two DPS trinkets, along with a reasonable amount of crit. I can tank just fine, but extra DPS never hurt, especially in 10 man where individual performance counts more. 

Here's my armory for reference, and I'd love to hear any feedback on this, because I'm at a loss at this point.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/Monq/simple

I've seen a lot of high damage tanks using the DPS legendary cloak which makes a good amount of damage.

As far as more DPS goes it also depends on the content your tanking. If you're not getting enough vengeance then you're not gonna do as much damage.

I guess so. I mean the monk I referenced had a tanking legendary and 2 DPS trinkets, buit maybe it's because I haven't been in any high vengeance fights yet.

I'm tanking SoO normal tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Monks single target is not that great compared to other tank classes. We are more useful on cleave damage.

This also means that you need to position bosses and sometimes mould strats to get more dps.

E.G. Fallen Protectors

Having the bosses stacked as much as possible and maintianing RJW will give great dps.

But if you split rook and he off then you cant cleave.

Tracking  your vengeance, pre potting and the lvlv 90 talent you pick will give you a large change on fight to fight.

Vengeance is the key to big damage but you also need to be using the right moves as well.

The disarm buff you can get provides a nice little boost so be sure to use that as much as possible when you can.

With high vengeance and cleave Keg smash should be up closer to your top damage done. After that melee and BoK should be  following. Again this is very fight dependant.

Galakras is another perfect example. If you do towers your AoE capabilites are diminished. By using your statue to AoE taunt you can get a few second or more of everything attacking you to build some big vengeance then have the OT taunt the mini bosses or 1 or 2 adds off you.

TL;DR

Pick the right lvl 90 talent - Xuen or RJW

get a dps cloak

whore vengeance

Keg smash on CD, chi wave on CD, keep tiger palm buff up, BoK to dump chi(sometimes a sneaky BoF with 4+ targets) and Tiger palm as filler.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MrPrince3rd
      Non Offensive Innuendo is currently a heroic guild that is wanting to go mythic.
      Server: Ner'zhul, Frostmane, Tortheldrin
      Progression: 9/9N 9/9H
      Roles we currently need: Exceptional RDPS, 1 healer, and off-tank
      Please fill out this application to apply: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd-rZ-shnsXmp-O-Q1IHBgy5ZL6UyjLA4lNpRKAKSl4rEEYGg/viewform
      Addons:
      We use EPGP and RCLootCouncil for loot, and Exorsus Raid Tools for notes
      Consumables: Free for all raiders
      Raid Times:
      Wednesday, Friday, and Monday 8:30-11:30PM CST
      (Days subject to change but only 2 will be required)
      Communication:
      We use discord, feel free to join for any questions or interviews. https://discord.gg/UEEnfCp
      Atmosphere:
      We are like a family, we joke and mess with each other all the time, we are laid back and not super strict, but we still want to kill bosses at a resonable pace.
      Expectations:
      You are expected to show up on time, and if you can't let someone know ahead of time. You are also expected to do the highest required mythic+ key to ensure that your gear stays up to date, if you require help doing this let people in the guild know.
      Contact Info:
      BilboBaggins#1406
      Aeliar#1904
    • By Narii625

VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time.
      PROGRESSION: Tomb of Sargeras [1/9M 9/9H], Nighthold [3/10M]
      LOOT STYLE: EPGP DKP Reloaded (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/EPGP)
      CURRENTLY ACCEPTING (915+)
      ALL DPS! (Healing offspec preferable but not required) ABOUT US
      915+ ilvl to trial immediately, but we accept others. 930+ ilvl and 72 artifact lvl for Antorus.

We are looking for skilled and laid back DPS to help fill out our roster for Antorus.

We're semi-casual in terms of time we spend raiding but serious about progression, attendance and performance.

We're a close-knit guild that hangs out in Discord a lot, joking, playing alts, Mythic+, other games or just hanging out. Fun guild events happen monthly!

Overall, we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other. (18+ required, we talk like pirates!)

New, returning and veteran players welcomed.

Fill out our Guild Application!
      Battle.net ID: LadyPluu#1299, Discord ID: LadyPluu#4473
      Guild Recruitment Officer
      Booty Pirates Website
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, PUBG, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: 
      Stjern#2802 or Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 930~ ilvl
      - 72+ traits.
      - 8/9 in ToS.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Death Knight: Blood.
      Monk: Brewmaster.
      Druid: Guardian.
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By Violentravi
      Hello,
      The Sworn is recruiting DPS.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 4/9 Mythic TOS.  We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:05 PM until 12:05 AM Eastern.  Currently, our main goal is to push Mythis TOS progression versus clearing farmed content, please keep this in mind if you wish to join us.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review or hit me up on battlenet, Violentnacho, recruiting officer (violentravi#1826.
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho