FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
TheZanthex

Brewmaster Monk low DPS?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum so I'm sorry if I missed anything or if I'm a bit confusing in my approach. I just have a few questions -

I've been playing a BrM monk for a few months now and I really am loving the class + spec. It's the first tank class that I've legitimately enjoyed and, after seeing ridiculously high numbers pulled by BrM monks in other 10m groups I couldn't wait to get to that threshold.

However, that never really happened.

Despite my reasonably high itemlevel (560) and over 50% crit with my current build, I find myself struggling to hold about 100-110k DPS at any given time. I've gone through normal once or twice with our guild's heroic group on alt runs, but I've never come close to the damage that I've seen other monks pull.

As a reference point, we had a 574 ish BrM as a tank for our heroic group for a brief spell and I never saw him drop below 200k+ single target DPS. When I asked him about it, he told me he used tiger palm pretty much on every empty GCD, and sure enough tiger palm was his #1 damaging ability. I attempted to follow suit but was unable to replicate anything -close- to that.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what but I'm just not doing the damage I see other brewmasters do. This is more noticable on single target fights as I'm normally able to do decently on AoE encounters.

I was talking to another brewmaster that I had in LFR the other day who was 15 ish itemlevels below me yet pulling the same (if not more) damage. She told me she was using rushing jade wind a LOT (nearly on CD) and I did notice a decent increase in DPS, as RJW was my #1 damaging ability. Yet even though it increased my damage I still am not doing as much as I think I should be doing.

I use Keg Smash + Chi Wave pretty much on CD (though Chi wave could definitely use some work) and I have two DPS trinkets, along with a reasonable amount of crit. I can tank just fine, but extra DPS never hurt, especially in 10 man where individual performance counts more. 

Here's my armory for reference, and I'd love to hear any feedback on this, because I'm at a loss at this point.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/Monq/simple

I've seen a lot of high damage tanks using the DPS legendary cloak which makes a good amount of damage.

As far as more DPS goes it also depends on the content your tanking. If you're not getting enough vengeance then you're not gonna do as much damage.

I guess so. I mean the monk I referenced had a tanking legendary and 2 DPS trinkets, buit maybe it's because I haven't been in any high vengeance fights yet.

I'm tanking SoO normal tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Monks single target is not that great compared to other tank classes. We are more useful on cleave damage.

This also means that you need to position bosses and sometimes mould strats to get more dps.

E.G. Fallen Protectors

Having the bosses stacked as much as possible and maintianing RJW will give great dps.

But if you split rook and he off then you cant cleave.

Tracking  your vengeance, pre potting and the lvlv 90 talent you pick will give you a large change on fight to fight.

Vengeance is the key to big damage but you also need to be using the right moves as well.

The disarm buff you can get provides a nice little boost so be sure to use that as much as possible when you can.

With high vengeance and cleave Keg smash should be up closer to your top damage done. After that melee and BoK should be  following. Again this is very fight dependant.

Galakras is another perfect example. If you do towers your AoE capabilites are diminished. By using your statue to AoE taunt you can get a few second or more of everything attacking you to build some big vengeance then have the OT taunt the mini bosses or 1 or 2 adds off you.

TL;DR

Pick the right lvl 90 talent - Xuen or RJW

get a dps cloak

whore vengeance

Keg smash on CD, chi wave on CD, keep tiger palm buff up, BoK to dump chi(sometimes a sneaky BoF with 4+ targets) and Tiger palm as filler.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Orb
      <Banana Hammock> is a social raiding guild for late night weekend bananas.
      Group: Banana Splits
      Hours & Days: 
      Friday & Saturday 
      Pacific time: 11pm - 2am Progression: 
      EP   3/8M  (AOTC) COS (AOTC) BOD 4/9 M (AOTC) Uldir 2/8 M (AOTC) Guild Info:
        <Banana Hammock> is a social raiding guild.  We are a group of players that raid with a more relaxed atmosphere. We are not a Cutting Edge guild, but we are open for players who want to push beyond AOTC and see how far we get! While we will ask for the standard logs/experience info, we value our members and we will check any new recruit to see if they make a good fit to make raiding enjoyable. Come be another Banana for our Hammock! 🙂
      Looking For:
      Ranged Dps 1 Healer Requirements: Please have current logs available
      If interested in raiding or hanging out with us just message
      B.net:  Nox#1474, Anubismerc#1882, Radjehuty#1804
      Discord: nox#2686, Radjehuty#0285

• By Chumani
      Inevitable Destiny   (H)Corrupted Destiny guild Skywall/Drak'thul US realm😎   Corrupted Destiny IS one of Skywall's oldest and largest standing guilds - very active with a large player base! We’ve always got something going on: mythic dungeons, normal runs for alts, Island Expeditions, Warfronts, Incursions, Transmog runs (aka 'Chu's Shopping Trips), Raiding, Brawler’s guild activities...  Even random activities like fishing at Darkmoon Faire while standing on water and wearing a fish head side by side!! All adult guild 18+ years old. 

Raid-wise we are 9/9 N Dazar'alor and have members with 9/9 H experience. Our raid schedule currently is 5:30pm PST (8:30pm EST) to 9pm PST (11pm EST) Thursday and Monday. (Subject to change as we try to accommodate more members).
      We have an active FB page and Discord server that is up to date on ALL game info as it happens, and of course fun stuff... as it happens as well!
      As always, we are recruiting. Looking for raiders (healers preferred but all are welcome), casuals, in betweens, anyone who is looking for a guild! Do NOT be intimidated to ask to join us even though you are not level 120! Come and join us! We maintain a ZERO drama policy!!
      Come experience the reason a guild as old as CD continues to stand and stand strong year after year after year! Come...... and get.... CORRUPTED!!!
      Chu#12466 - Wanheda#11925

• By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our LoN Lashing Tail Kick Monk build.
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our LoN Wave of Light Monk build.
    • By Xanah
      Guild: Dawn of the Dead | http://www.dotd.org   Faction: Horde | Server: Zul'jin (PvE) | Timezone: EST   Current Progression: 8/9M BoD | 2/2H CoS | 8/8M Uldir CE   We've been raiding max size raids continuously since WoW has been released and are the only guild to have done so here on Zul'jin. We have strong leadership, no drama, and plans to keep raiding for years to come. Unlike many guilds, we're not recruiting for the short term, and we don't over-recruit.   Website: www.dotd.org
        Raid Times: Our schedule is 8-11 EST Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.   Needs: We are a small guild, and we expect high attendance. As such, we recruit people to raid, and desire people who can step in and contribute immediately. We don’t recruit people to sit around, so all spots are for raiders who can expect to be in most every raid.   We are currently looking to add skilled and reliable:
      Ranged DPS: High: Shadow Priest, Mage Medium: Warlock 1 Healer:
      High: Resto Shaman, Mistweaver Monk

*ALL exceptional applicants will be considered regardless of the class.   What we ask of you:   Effort: Not all applicants come from highly progressed guilds, and that’s okay, but it does mean that you need to be prepared. We recruit the player, not the gear, but we do ask that you have some current experience. You need to have the best gear available to you with top end enchants and gems where available. You also need to be able to display an understanding of your class mechanics, role in a raid, and ability to learn new fights.   Attitude: It’s a game. We play for fun. How you fit in with the guild is taken very seriously. We’re a bunch of mostly 18-30 guys and girls who have fun playing together. While we have a good time, we also know when it’s time to buckle down and work hard.   Skill: The best way to determine skill is to see you in a raid. Because we don’t wish to have anyone transfer that we’re not serious about, be able to express your knowledge of your class and why you’re an exceptional player who would be an asset and is worth a shot. Gear will come with time. Skill will not. Impress us with your knowledge of your class and gameplay mechanics. Feel free to share any logs, theorycrafting, or other work you've done.   Commitment: We make a commitment to you, and ask you to do the same to us. A raid takes a team of more than 20 individuals working together. We rely on you to show up to raids, research your class and new fights, respect your fellow players, and notify us when you are unavailable. You rely on us for gear, experience, and coordination. It's a large investment of our time to train and gear new players, and we ask the same investment on your part so that we can each benefit.   We have a variety of informational resources available to prospective applicants on our web site: http://www.dotd.org-- please refer to our "Applications" forum for detailed information. Also feel free to visit us on WoWProgresss for more information and kill videos! http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/...wn+of+the+Dead   Should you wish to speak to someone in-game, please don't hesitate to reach out to an officer directly, whisper Alloren (Alloren#1606), Xanah (Xana#1662) or Jeare (Jeare#1759).   We look forward to hearing from you soon!