TheZanthex

Brewmaster Monk low DPS?

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum so I'm sorry if I missed anything or if I'm a bit confusing in my approach. I just have a few questions -

I've been playing a BrM monk for a few months now and I really am loving the class + spec. It's the first tank class that I've legitimately enjoyed and, after seeing ridiculously high numbers pulled by BrM monks in other 10m groups I couldn't wait to get to that threshold.

However, that never really happened.

Despite my reasonably high itemlevel (560) and over 50% crit with my current build, I find myself struggling to hold about 100-110k DPS at any given time. I've gone through normal once or twice with our guild's heroic group on alt runs, but I've never come close to the damage that I've seen other monks pull.

As a reference point, we had a 574 ish BrM as a tank for our heroic group for a brief spell and I never saw him drop below 200k+ single target DPS. When I asked him about it, he told me he used tiger palm pretty much on every empty GCD, and sure enough tiger palm was his #1 damaging ability. I attempted to follow suit but was unable to replicate anything -close- to that.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what but I'm just not doing the damage I see other brewmasters do. This is more noticable on single target fights as I'm normally able to do decently on AoE encounters.

I was talking to another brewmaster that I had in LFR the other day who was 15 ish itemlevels below me yet pulling the same (if not more) damage. She told me she was using rushing jade wind a LOT (nearly on CD) and I did notice a decent increase in DPS, as RJW was my #1 damaging ability. Yet even though it increased my damage I still am not doing as much as I think I should be doing.

I use Keg Smash + Chi Wave pretty much on CD (though Chi wave could definitely use some work) and I have two DPS trinkets, along with a reasonable amount of crit. I can tank just fine, but extra DPS never hurt, especially in 10 man where individual performance counts more. 

Here's my armory for reference, and I'd love to hear any feedback on this, because I'm at a loss at this point.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/Monq/simple

I've seen a lot of high damage tanks using the DPS legendary cloak which makes a good amount of damage.

As far as more DPS goes it also depends on the content your tanking. If you're not getting enough vengeance then you're not gonna do as much damage.

I guess so. I mean the monk I referenced had a tanking legendary and 2 DPS trinkets, buit maybe it's because I haven't been in any high vengeance fights yet.

I'm tanking SoO normal tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Monks single target is not that great compared to other tank classes. We are more useful on cleave damage.

This also means that you need to position bosses and sometimes mould strats to get more dps.

E.G. Fallen Protectors

Having the bosses stacked as much as possible and maintianing RJW will give great dps.

But if you split rook and he off then you cant cleave.

Tracking  your vengeance, pre potting and the lvlv 90 talent you pick will give you a large change on fight to fight.

Vengeance is the key to big damage but you also need to be using the right moves as well.

The disarm buff you can get provides a nice little boost so be sure to use that as much as possible when you can.

With high vengeance and cleave Keg smash should be up closer to your top damage done. After that melee and BoK should be  following. Again this is very fight dependant.

Galakras is another perfect example. If you do towers your AoE capabilites are diminished. By using your statue to AoE taunt you can get a few second or more of everything attacking you to build some big vengeance then have the OT taunt the mini bosses or 1 or 2 adds off you.

TL;DR

Pick the right lvl 90 talent - Xuen or RJW

get a dps cloak

whore vengeance

Keg smash on CD, chi wave on CD, keep tiger palm buff up, BoK to dump chi(sometimes a sneaky BoF with 4+ targets) and Tiger palm as filler.