FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Player Improvements to the Dracthyr Race

PUQa7Dl.jpg

While the expansion reveal went over generally positively, one of the main sticking points for a lot of players is the look of the new Dracthryr race. Luckily for us (in addition to many disparaging comments) some of the community members actually went ahead and suggested fixes as well, and we'll be taking a look at those.

First off we have some simple ones, as the main complaint seems to be that the Dracthyr are a little too skinny and perhaps weak-looking, and there are many, many threads on r/wow asking for bulkier versions:

Then there's a more subtle change, by ercarp from the MMO Champion forums:

NB4eFOV.png

Then there's the main course, as ThunderBrush invested quite a lot of effort and got a very nice but subtle re-deisgn in, which is very popular and has spawned several highly rated threads asking to implement it:

FQwkOJ5X0AI5vbr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FQwkOJ5XoAAIAsy?format=jpg&name=4096x409

And finally, we have a more basic reminder of what some players were hoping for, ever since Blackwing Lair:

While not everyone dislikes the Dracthyr look, there seem to be many that do, so hopefully Blizzard will at least keep communicating about the issue with the community throughout testing, as this is one of those things that are fixable during the testing process.

What do you think of the new race look? Do they need to be more bulky at all?

• Like 1

I think dragons should be swole but that doesn't mean that what Blizz did looks bad or that changes to it are "improvements".

It's just a different take.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prophet001 said:

I think dragons should be swole but that doesn't mean that what Blizz did looks bad or that changes to it are "improvements".

It's just a different take.

I think it's just more of case of more options needed. Some players don't want to play the current version so why not offer an alternative!

• Like 2

Yeah the dragon form is pretty weak, but in my mind the biggest disappointment is the lack of variety in the Humanoid form. Lorewise, the other dragons in wow are able to choose whatever humanoid mortal form they want. I don't see why the humanoid form couldn't just be any of the existing playable races that you can choose from at the time of character creation. Even if it meant not slapping horns on all of them. Though that should be something easy enough for an indie company like Blizzard to pull off.

These redesigns look great! I think the first one might be a bit too dreadlord-like but it's still good. The second is WAY better. Or better yet, why not have both options! Customising the look of our characters is becoming a bigger deal now more than ever.

10 minutes ago, Starym said:

I think it's just more of case of more options needed. Some players don't want to play the current version so why not offer an alternative!

I can buy that.

Too many people are motivated by just wanting to throw shade though so it taints uptake of feedback.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Prophet001 said:

I can buy that.

Too many people are motivated by just wanting to throw shade though so it taints uptake of feedback.

Yea it's always important to separate the idea from the narrative around it/people having it.

They definitely need some tweaking.

They pretty much look exactly like Elder Scrolls' Argonian race, with some wings attached.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

yeah, i agree. Make the males more swole with bigger horns and keep the current form for the females

Or make it the opposite. I'd love to see a race where the women are huge and buff while the men are small and wispy.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brightamethyst said:

Or make it the opposite. I'd love to see a race where the women are huge and buff while the men are small and wispy.

Thats coming in 11.0 ....Amazonthyr race ... death by snusnu

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Devylknyght said:

Yeah the dragon form is pretty weak, but in my mind the biggest disappointment is the lack of variety in the Humanoid form. Lorewise, the other dragons in wow are able to choose whatever humanoid mortal form they want.

Perhaps they will add more variety, at least to humanoid forms. It seems fairly easy, since they are all just a reskins of existing models with some extra bits like horns or hair decorations. Some are still going to be unhappy, because they didn't get their bulky dragonkins, but this is what every race could actually use (having different body types to choose from, at least presets ranging from bulky to skinny, if sliders aren't an option).

3 minutes ago, Arcling said:

Perhaps they will add more variety, at least to humanoid forms. It seems fairly easy, since they are all just a reskins of existing models with some extra bits like horns or hair decorations. Some are still going to be unhappy, because they didn't get their bulky dragonkins, but this is what every race could actually use (having different body types to choose from, at least presets ranging from bulky to skinny, if sliders aren't an option).

Agreed. Along with color sliders on basically everything. Instead of having to pay for or earn recolors of everything. 

The character customization update is progress, but still disappointing. 

2 hours ago, Swarf said:

It did?  

Yeah, there were many mixed reactions to it as well. Some people said that budget cuts are visible.

Edited by Arcling

I just think they need the wider, shorter neck. Something about it makes the proportions look off. I get the stylistic choice they wanted to go with, make the Dracthyr have a more unique look compared to other dragon models, however it doesn't achieve the effect I think they want.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, Swarf said:

It did?  

Overall yea, much much better than any recent announcements, basically than anything in Shadowlands. Plenty of positive posts (and some negative) so just in my judgement of having seen ALL the damn threads popping up and tons of tweets etc the generall attitude is positive, but not hyped or that it's amazing etc.