FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Undergeared DPS (Item Level 345) Soloing Mythic+ Ruby Life Pools

3D2nQii.jpg

Before the nerfs that resulted in tanks taking 11% more damage, Rextroy challenged himself and soloed Mythic Ruby Life Pools with an undergeared character.

Background:

After reading about the upcoming tank survival nerfs, that will make most tanks take about 11% more damage, I decided to challenge myself to solo a mythic dungeon on an undergeared DPS... https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow...

The main reason was after reading the reason for the tank nerfs, being that tanks shouldn't be able to easily solo large portions of encounters after the group has died. It seems really weird why this change is made the same week as hard content is being unlocked... Since m0 is very easy content, and it is not surprising that tanks can solo large portions of them...

This change is giving me flashbacks to Death Strike being nerfed because of random battlegrounds...

Anyway, that was the reason why I set out to try it! And below you will see the strategy I went with:

Malidrussa Chillworn:

This boss was fairly easy overall, the hard part was when the pack of whelps arrived at 75%. It proved really hard for my undergeared unholy DK to survive it before I had gotten enchants for my gear (I did manage the first wave, but died shortly after) After improving my character, and changing talents to obtain more damage, it wasn't too bad. Unholy DK overall has a lot of magic defense available to survive, and the boss does a large amount of magic!

Kokia Blazehoof:

This has to be one of the buggiest bosses I tried to solo so far!

Originally I tried to brute-force it, but there were too many obstacles to overcome (DPS-wise) for my undergeared DK.

The adds would keep spawning, so I had to find a way to get rid of them.

I tried to outrange them, and that worked for a while but she kept spawning a new one by the time I got away from them.

I also tested her abilities, it seems like she won't be able to do anything at all if you stay mounted and run away from her (for example, the activation range on her summon ability is about 20 yards). But while mounted I couldn't do anything to her either... so that didn't work. The thing I tried, that actually got me progress to solo her, was that certain locations (the rocky parts on the sides) gave her trouble when spawning adds...

She wasn't able to find a valid location to spawn the blazebound firestorm, for at least 1 minute! And then I noticed that her pathing was really weird and slow around those parts..

When I tested the same thing on the other side, she got completely stuck!

And she was close enough for my Unholy Blight, to be able to hit her through walls It's even odder that I made her get stuck since she does have the ability to teleport targeted players to her, if she feels like they are "unreachable"... Perhaps Death Knights are immovable juggernauts after all. So I kept damaging her with Unholy blight for about an hour, and she fell after 67 minutes of combat! Not the most honorable solo but clean nevertheless!

Kyrakka and Erkhart Stormvein:

I almost thought I would get stuck unable to solo this boss because Stormslam (Stormvein ability) stacks up really fast... Faster than I can get rid of the magic debuff with anti-magic shell It also goes through line of sight! The two things that saved me, and gave me a chance to solo it, was that he won't start casting the ability unless he is close to you... And his movement speed is REALLY slow! Oh, and the boss room is perfectly made to be able to kite them on the bridge... it almost feels like an intentional strategy...

Anyway, after kiting them for a while, and being really careful with my abilities, I managed to finish them off! Was a tough fight however

My highest HPS reached in the dungeon was about 47k... about 85% of that being Death Strike...

Maybe another nerf is in order?

Here's the full video soloing the Mythic Dungeon with his Item Level 345 Unholy Death Knight!

12 hours ago, Stan said:

This change is giving me flashbacks to Death Strike being nerfed because of random battlegrounds...

12 hours ago, Stan said:

It seems really weird

Well Rextroy, since you've been playing this game a bit shorter than me despite me having stopped since BFA, I'll tolerate it seeming weird to you.

... But I still judge you, for Blizzard has been well known for making changes like these arbitrarily.

Maybe you forgot about the GCD changes in BFA that made certain tanks terrible and clunky (RIP warriors) and it took them half a year to figure out they needed to do something about it. Or a certain expansion that made warriors have a CD that made them 100% CC immune for 30 entire seconds in PVP, because THAT seemed reasonable to the devs at the time?

No, these changes and odd timings of them isn't strange nor weird.

Here's the full video soloing the Mythic Dungeon with his Item Level 345 Blood Death Knight!

Unholy, not Blood. As stated in the title of the video - It was an undergeared 'DPS' challenge.

18 hours ago, fayiep32 said:

Unholy, not Blood. As stated in the title of the video - It was an undergeared 'DPS' challenge.

Good catch, thanks! It's fixed now.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      The Mage Tower is available again in Patch 10.0.5, so we're looking at all the rewards you can unlock!
      1. Guardian Druid Bear Form
      Guardian Druids can get a fel-themed Bear Form after completing the tank challenge. This is a recolor of the White Bear Form from the Legion Artifact that was removed. All Druids on your account will have access to this form once unlocked.

2. Soaring Spell Tome Mount
      You will receive the Mage-Bound Spelltome mount from the A Tour of Towers achievement, which requires you to complete every unique challenge available at the Mage Tower.
      In the forgotten depths of the Dalaran library, this oversized tome was found flapping madly around the room. Open the pages of this arcane-infused book and hitch a ride to magical adventure.

The character stands on the book while riding the mount.

3. Armor Sets
      The Mage Tower Sets are recolors of Mythic Tomb of Sargeras Tier 20 sets. Every class has a different set that you can check out below. Some classes have two variations due to multiple chest armor pieces. I'm not sure if Evokers get a unique set as I don't main one.
      Death Knight

Demon Hunter

Druid

Evoker
      ???
      Hunter

Mage

Monk

Paladin

Priest

Rogue

Shaman

Warlock

Warrior

4. Tower Overwhelming Achievement
      Tower Overwhelming doesn't reward anything, but the achievement is quite the challenge for players who must complete every challenge at the Mage Tower across all classes and specializations.
    • By Stan
      The Lunar Festival has been updated in 2023 with the Elders of the Dragon Isles that you must earn for the meta-achievement. Check out our latest post to find out locations of the new Elders!

For more details about the event, check out our Lunar Festival Guide. We've updated the guide for 10.0.5 and the changes should be deployed soon.
    • By Staff
      We have a bit of a dungeon availability switcheroo today, as Blizzard have fixed the Plaguefall issue and turned the dungeon back on, but also disabled Timewalking Court of Stars! 
      Dungeons (Source 1, 2)
      We’ve identified an issue causing some players to become trapped in the Legion Timewalking Court of Stars dungeon and we’ve temporarily removed the dungeon from the Timewalking dungeon finder. No one likes being stuck in Court.
      The Mythic+ version of the dungeon appears to be unaffected by this issue.
      We’ll let you know when we’ve got it fixed and opened again.

With a hotfix, we’ve re-enabled the Plaguefall dungeon. The terrain issue some players were experiencing has been fixed.
      Thank you.
    • By Staff
      Blizzard have announced some big changes coming to Retribution Plaladins with the next content patch, with a rebuild of the talent tree from the ground up! Check out all the details below:
      Retribution (Source)
      Well met!
      We’re doing a substantial rework to the Retribution talent tree in patch 10.0.7. Rebuilding the Retribution talent tree from the ground up means significant changes ahead. However, the talent tree itself will not be available in our first PTR build(s), so initial testing on the PTR will be missing important context.
      Nonetheless, we’d like to share our major goals for Retribution with you.
      Button bloat: Retribution Paladins currently have a fairly large number of abilities, and some of these feel unnecessary and inefficient. We’re working to tone this down and have a more focused set of abilities and cooldowns.
      Stacking modifiers: There are currently several talents and abilities that provide stacking bonuses, which can make for a confusing and messy playstyle that deals extreme burst damage, but in return leaves your core abilities feeling unsatisfying and under-tuned. We intend to significantly change this. We want your core abilities to feel good and powerful when used in all situations. This doesn’t mean we’re reducing all elements of burst damage, but we do want to make burst more purposeful and deliberate, while also allowing options that provide sustained damage.
      Survivability: Retribution Paladins currently have one of the highest death rates across all forms of content. For a plate wearing class with hybrid healing, this doesn’t feel right. We’re looking to strengthen them through a mixture of passive bonus and improvements to active abilities and cooldowns, while keeping the degree of challenge that results from being a melee-based spec.
      Maneuverability: We recognize that there’s an issue here and we hope to make some improvements. However, we want to set clear expectations. Retribution Paladins should not expect to gain the mobility of Rogues.
      Utility: The changes that Dragonflight brought to Retribution have caused some conflict for players, forcing the Ret Paladin to choose between providing benefits to their groups or benefiting themselves. This choice can be interesting, but due to the way this has historically worked for Paladins, it hasn’t felt right in Dragonflight. So, we’re looking to make changes here that allow you to feel good and improve your own damage while also providing the group benefits that you’re used to. We’re also looking into additional utility improvements for Paladins during the 10.0.7 test cycle.
      We’re looking forward to hearing your feedback on the points above, as well as anything else about Retribution that you’d like to share. Thank you!
    • By Starym
      Plenty of class fixes arrive in today's batch, as well as a change to Bolstering, items, quests, professions and more - including a Wrath Classic fix as well.
      January 27 (Source)
      Classes
      Druid Restoration Fixed an issue that could cause Regrowth to sometimes not apply its direct healing after casting Nourish. Monk Mistweaver Fixed an issue that caused Awakened Faeline and Ancient Concordance to fail to apply in some instances while multiple Faelines were present. Paladin Retribution Lawbringer now correctly deals 8% of enemy maximum health in damage. Rogue The Outlaw 2pc set bonus now correctly interacts with Echoing Reprimand. Warlock Affliction Fixed an issue where Inevitable Demise was granting double benefit to Drain Life. Fixed an issue where Malefic Affliction was not being removed when casting Unstable Affliction on another target. Fixed an issue where Withering Bolt was exceeding the described damage increase cap when using Drain Soul. Fixed an issue where Malefic Rapture and Seed of Corruption consumed multiple applications of Cruel Epiphany. Dungeons and Raids
      Mythic+ Affixes Bolstering no longer applies to players’ summons. Items and Rewards
      The Ensemble: Tuskar Trader’s Leather Armor sold by Lontupit or Murik in Iskaara will no longer require Resilient Leather, which wasn’t showing on the vendor’s list of required items. Professions
      Alchemy Potion of Sacrificial Anima can no longer be used above level 60. The tooltip will reflect this in a future patch. Engineering The Magazine of Healing Darts embellishment will now only fire towards and be consumed by other players. Quests
      Valdrakken Players who have not yet started “Reviving the Machine” should now see its starting location displayed in Valdrakken’s map.
        Wrath of the Lich King Classic
      Classes Death Knight Sigil of the Vengeful Heart now increases Death Coil damage and Frost Strike damage by the correct amounts listed on the item’s tooltip.