FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

End-of-Year Blizzard Update

VIf5Pac.jpg

About 12 billion hours of Blizzard games were played and 50 million new players joined the Blizzard community this year, according to Blizzard President Mike Ybarra, who posted an update reflecting back on 2022.

Additionally, Blizzard is bringing back BlizzCon. More information will be available early next year.

Blizzard Logo(Source)

Hey everyone! It’s been about a year since my last post, and with 2022 coming to an end, I felt it was a good time for an update.

2022 has been a great year for Blizzard, made possible by the hard work, creativity, and passion of everyone who works here, and the support, feedback, and joy from the players. Putting people first—employees and players—is how we’re building the foundation of the next era of Blizzard.

Environment art of the lush green Ohnahran Plains from WoW: Dragonflight

A lot of this work has been internal, but I hope you can see the results of it in our games: the joy and love for Azeroth in World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, the color and scale of seasonal updates in Overwatch 2, the care and respect in Wrath of the Lich King Classic and Diablo II: Resurrected, the creativity and charm in Hearthstone, and the gameplay and rich story built into Diablo Immortal. We also got to show off the chaotic glee built into Warcraft Arclight Rumble, and finally the Diablo IV team got to relish in the excitement with a recently announced June 6, 2023 launch date.

Character art of Lilith from Diablo IV

About 12 billion hours of Blizzard games were played this year, and as many as 50 million new players joined the Blizzard community*, and this would not have been possible if not for the passion from the people within Blizzard. We’re hearing from them that there is a fundamental shift happening, and it’s the thousands of people who work here who are steering this ship toward something greater than we’ve ever been—and we’ve only just begun.

Ramattra from Overwatch 2 posing with his staff in the snow

To give some clarity on what’s happened this year, I promised in January that we would hire full-time positions to support the ongoing work of improving the culture at Blizzard.

Additionally, we’ve made several important changes to our teams:

• Blizzard cofounder Allen Adham, Chief Design Officer: Championing game design as a discipline, helping to ensure we keep Blizzard gameplay at the forefront of the player experience.
  • Holly Longdale, Executive Producer of World of Warcraft: After leading WoW Classic, Holly now oversees all of World of Warcraft, bringing her deep MMO experience to the fore.
  • Jared Neuss, Executive Producer for Overwatch 2: Taking a holistic approach toward building a great live-service experience for this incredible universe.
  • Peiwen Yao, Executive Producer for Diablo Immortal: Leading the co-development partnership for our debut mobile-first title.
  • April McKee, Executive Producer of BlizzCon: Yes, we’re bringing BlizzCon back—more on that early next year!
  • Mike Elliott, Chief Technology Officer: A Blizzard veteran and engineering’s leading voice, overseeing technical evaluations, recommendations, and execution.
  • Dan Hay, General Manager of Survival Game: Leading the team which is infusing this genre with Blizzard magic while crafting our first new IP since Overwatch. The team has doubled in size this year and we’re looking to grow it even more in the new year!
*New Battle.net accounts created and at least 1 Blizzard game played.

Rebuilding the Foundations

While we have full-time roles dedicated to culture, culture isn’t the work of one person or team. It involves all of us every day, and it requires perspectives and insights of different experiences, backgrounds, functions, and identities. To this end, we convened a culture team consisting of a wide array of functions across Blizzard who are helping us improve how we work, and create and sustain a culture that makes all of us better.

Alex Horley painting of the Lich King from Hearthstone's March of the Lich King expansion

One of the other major projects this year has been taking a deep look at the mission, vision and values upon which Blizzard was built. We have been talking about how these values are interpreted and lived, how they could be improved or modernized, and everyone at Blizzard had the chance to have their voice heard in this critical work. This is a project that our employees, as well as players, will see the results of in the new year.

Warcraft Arclight Rumble mini characters in a toy-like pile

We’ve also made solid progress advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I): we held a successful fourth Women's Summit, we deployed DE&I-focused training across all employees, we’ve expanded self-identification options to be more inclusive, and over the past year, we increased the percentage representation of women and non-binary people within Blizzard from 22% to 25% while also increasing the percentage of employees from under-represented ethnic groups from 34% to 36%. While this is progress, our commitment is that our focus on culture and inclusion will be a core part of our everyday efforts at Blizzard. This work will never be done. For you – our players – our hope is that you are seeing it in our games, the way we communicate, and more. We’re learning along the way, and it’s all of you who are keeping us on the right track.

Environment art of Westmarch from Diablo

We have received a lot of feedback this year, and our teams are always listening—as we grow in these areas, we have had important moments that help us learn and be better. Our players are always quick to let us know what they are thinking and feeling, and for that, I want to thank you. I’m three years into my journey at Blizzard, and not long into having the privilege of playing a small role in leading Blizzard forward. It’s inspiring to work here: every day, I learn from Blizzard and learn from you, and as we close out 2022, I couldn’t be more thankful for that.

Finally, to our wonderful teams at Blizzard: thank you. We’re on a journey together to create an amazing culture that fosters and enables creative energy and fresh thinking. Together we’re bringing Blizzard back, better than ever.

Take care this holiday season: spend time with loved ones, your favorite games, your favorite movies and books, and take the time for yourselves. We’ll be doing the same.

I’ll see you in Azeroth, Sanctuary, the tavern, and in the optimistic vision of the future!

- Mike “Qwik” Ybarra

I still don't like Ybarra, he comes as insincere (and also rather plain) mouthpiece. Besides, his position seems of reduced importance (no more CEO position for this company). It wasn't a great year, while Overwatch 2 still has good gameplay, it's monetization is anti-player. Mixed opinion on Dragonflight, some zone stuff is good, but things like balance, profession rework and increased amount of farming (even for earned rewards from reputation) are bad. And Diablo: Immortal is still pay to win garbage, but here it's presented as having good gameplay and rich story. It did well on launch, but probably still below of what they expected, it seems. And they have more garbage on the way in form of Arclight Rumble.

Fun fact, they changed order of words for DE&I so it doesn't spell as DIE. 

• Like 2

Just make good games blizzard.

Don't hire people because they like weird *filtered* stuff and have different colored skin.

Just hire people that make good games.

• Like 4

On 12/21/2022 at 2:53 PM, Arcling said:

I still don't like Ybarra, he comes as insincere (and also rather plain) mouthpiece. Besides, his position seems of reduced importance (no more CEO position for this company). It wasn't a great year, while Overwatch 2 still has good gameplay, it's monetization is anti-player. Mixed opinion on Dragonflight, some zone stuff is good, but things like balance, profession rework and increased amount of farming (even for earned rewards from reputation) are bad. And Diablo: Immortal is still pay to win garbage, but here it's presented as having good gameplay and rich story. It did well on launch, but probably still below of what they expected, it seems. And they have more garbage on the way in form of Arclight Rumble.

DEI makes sense since the letters are in alphabetical order.

On 12/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, Prophet001 said:

Don't hire people because they like weird *filtered* stuff and have different colored skin.

That's about the most backward, racist, sexist, exclusionist dribble I have read since Trump was still allowed to tweet.

• Haha 3

On 12/21/2022 at 3:53 PM, Arcling said:

Profession rework bad? You're literally the first person I have heard so far say that. It might be a little over complicated at first, but anything beats the bland system they had before. 

11 hours ago, Madyrn said:

That's about the most backward, racist, sexist, exclusionist dribble I have read since Trump was still allowed to tweet.

of course you think like that , anyone that thinks different from you is most backward, racist, sexist person.

people that talk like you, are the most racist and sexist people on earth.

Edited by Ardawulf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Madyrn said:

Wow you used every insult you could find and even threw in Trump.

lol

Merry Christmas :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ardawulf said:

of course you think like that , anyone that thinks different from you is most backward, racist, sexist person.

people that talk like you, are the most racist and sexist people on earth.

Lol! Yeah, aim that at me while the person actually acting as I stated just walks away. So many little snowflakes out there and my comments had nothing to do with you.

3 hours ago, Madyrn said:

Lol! Yeah, aim that at me while the person actually acting as I stated just walks away. So many little snowflakes out there and my comments had nothing to do with you.

Poor guy said hire people based on their performance and not because they're "black" or "white", as a person of color myself I never want to be hired  because of my skin color.

All that matter is if they're good or not.

Edited by Ardawulf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, zuzubeji94 said:

Profession rework bad? You're literally the first person I have heard so far say that. It might be a little over complicated at first, but anything beats the bland system they had before. 

It is some improvement over previous one, but it does have too much junk and rng stats. Also professions are co-dependent now, so I have to buy some materials made by other professions that I can't make myself. Work orders seem only good for super farmers, not casual players. No one is ordering lower skill stuff, so there is nothing to fulfill and most sought-after recipes are ridiculously overpriced (with low drop rates) as these are the ones people put work orders for.

In replying to a post which discusses Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives at a company that has a horrible track record for all three, the quoted comments fit my description exactly. You can choose to be obtuse and go for the low-hanging fruit of "but you should hire based on qualification", which no one disputes, or you can accept the reality that Blizzard has been a horrible steward of DEI and is working to change that both in their hiring practices and in their day-to-day business.

Prophet001's comment was ignorant at best, and is a prime example of a greater problem. We are not talking about "hiring people based on race or sexual preference", we are talking NOT hiring them because of those things and how wrong it is. Additionally, the part of his comment that reads "because they like weird *filtered* stuff" gives away Prophet001's true intention with the comment. But sure, ignore all of that and pretend I am the bad guy.

On 12/22/2022 at 5:41 PM, Madyrn said:

On 12/24/2022 at 1:27 PM, Madyrn said:

In replying to a post which discusses Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives at a company that has a horrible track record for all three, the quoted comments fit my description exactly. You can choose to be obtuse and go for the low-hanging fruit of "but you should hire based on qualification", which no one disputes, or you can accept the reality that Blizzard has been a horrible steward of DEI and is working to change that both in their hiring practices and in their day-to-day business.

Prophet001's comment was ignorant at best, and is a prime example of a greater problem. We are not talking about "hiring people based on race or sexual preference", we are talking NOT hiring them because of those things and how wrong it is. Additionally, the part of his comment that reads "because they like weird *filtered* stuff" gives away Prophet001's true intention with the comment. But sure, ignore all of that and pretend I am the bad guy.

Where does one start?

First quote - I'm not even...

Second - Companies don't have horrible track records for DE&I because of who they hire..  You hire the best for the job, Period.  I don't care if you're LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ.  CAN "The Person" DO the Job, and Do the Job Exceptionally Well? 

I also disagree that Prophet's comment was ignorant at best and a prime example of a greater problem.   Your comments are an example of that, and you've obviously never been in Human Resources..  I am. 

The problem is, you're promoting a hiring environment that is based on Race, Gender, and Sexual Preference.   THAT is a problem, and THAT problem is called discrimination, and it IS against the law.    Let me explain: 

Applicant A has a very successful 20 year track record in the job.  
Applicant B has a piece of paper from a college that Says they know what they're doing, but no practical experience.  

Who would you hire?

Notice I didn't say anything about Race, Gender, Sexual Preference, or otherwise.  Why?   Because it DOESN'T MATTER.

DE&I is about taking care of the people ON STAFF..   NOT Hiring People because of any Race, Gender, or Sexual Preference.   Your "Personnel Diversity" SOLELY DEPENDS on applicant qualifications.  Period.  Nothing More, Nothing Less. 

HOW you HANDLE Diversity in the Workforce is a completely different subject, and the waters are getting muddied in this conversation.

I interviewed a 22 year old black male that worked his own way thru college at a fast food joint.   Paid for it his self.  No experience whatsoever.   He came into the interview dressed nicely, with big hoop insert earring things...  I dont even know what they are called, but the BIG Circle things..   Did I care?   No.  Much the same as I didn't care that he was black... or Male, for that matter.   Was he Gay?  Trans?  Did he like to dress in women's clothes?    I DIDN'T CARE, NOR is it any of my damn business.   We had other applicants... older, female, male, white, black, hispanic, experienced, not experienced...   I asked them all the same questions, and the person that showed the most knowledge pertaining to the job got hired.   It was the 22 year old black kid..   This was 16 years ago..   Hes 38, has furthered his education thru our company, and now is in an executive position with the company.   I was invited to his wedding, I get a card from him Every Year, and he has turned into the best hire I ever did, and the best success story within the company.

That wedding?    He married a White Male..    Did ANYONE CARE?   No..  We were simply happy that he was happy, that's it.

Was it PURPOSEFUL that I hired a Gay Black Male?  No.  Did I care?  No.   DO I Care?  No...   He got hired on his own merits, and worked his way into his current, Very Well Paying (over half-mil a year) Executive Position.   More power to him..  I am happier than a pig in slop about it.

But the one thing I don't do...  is hire people because they made a life decision with regards to their sexuality and expect preferrential treatment because of it.   That's not a No, but a Hard No..  because that, is discrimination.

On 12/28/2022 at 8:05 PM, Gonzo1970 said:

Where does one start?

First quote - I'm not even...

Second - Companies don't have horrible track records for DE&I because of who they hire..  You hire the best for the job, Period.  I don't care if you're LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ.  CAN "The Person" DO the Job, and Do the Job Exceptionally Well? 

I also disagree that Prophet's comment was ignorant at best and a prime example of a greater problem.   Your comments are an example of that, and you've obviously never been in Human Resources..  I am. 

The problem is, you're promoting a hiring environment that is based on Race, Gender, and Sexual Preference.   THAT is a problem, and THAT problem is called discrimination, and it IS against the law.    Let me explain: 

Applicant A has a very successful 20 year track record in the job.  
Applicant B has a piece of paper from a college that Says they know what they're doing, but no practical experience.  

Who would you hire?

Notice I didn't say anything about Race, Gender, Sexual Preference, or otherwise.  Why?   Because it DOESN'T MATTER.

DE&I is about taking care of the people ON STAFF..   NOT Hiring People because of any Race, Gender, or Sexual Preference.   Your "Personnel Diversity" SOLELY DEPENDS on applicant qualifications.  Period.  Nothing More, Nothing Less. 

HOW you HANDLE Diversity in the Workforce is a completely different subject, and the waters are getting muddied in this conversation.

I interviewed a 22 year old black male that worked his own way thru college at a fast food joint.   Paid for it his self.  No experience whatsoever.   He came into the interview dressed nicely, with big hoop insert earring things...  I dont even know what they are called, but the BIG Circle things..   Did I care?   No.  Much the same as I didn't care that he was black... or Male, for that matter.   Was he Gay?  Trans?  Did he like to dress in women's clothes?    I DIDN'T CARE, NOR is it any of my damn business.   We had other applicants... older, female, male, white, black, hispanic, experienced, not experienced...   I asked them all the same questions, and the person that showed the most knowledge pertaining to the job got hired.   It was the 22 year old black kid..   This was 16 years ago..   Hes 38, has furthered his education thru our company, and now is in an executive position with the company.   I was invited to his wedding, I get a card from him Every Year, and he has turned into the best hire I ever did, and the best success story within the company.

That wedding?    He married a White Male..    Did ANYONE CARE?   No..  We were simply happy that he was happy, that's it.

Was it PURPOSEFUL that I hired a Gay Black Male?  No.  Did I care?  No.   DO I Care?  No...   He got hired on his own merits, and worked his way into his current, Very Well Paying (over half-mil a year) Executive Position.   More power to him..  I am happier than a pig in slop about it.

But the one thing I don't do...  is hire people because they made a life decision with regards to their sexuality and expect preferrential treatment because of it.   That's not a No, but a Hard No..  because that, is discrimination.

EDIT: How interesting it is that your account was just recreated on 12/28/2022. That's not suspicious at all.

You're deliberately ignoring everything I have said so you can try and stand out. I absolutely am not advocating for hiring practices which focus on gender, sexual preference, race, etc. I am advocating for hiring practices which seek to eliminate such bias in the process and employees. With Blizzard, having a DEI group/department at least puts the company in a better direction in terms of where they were heading. Educating your people is never a negative and, while you will not reach everyone, you at least minimize the impact of uninformed personal opinions on your hiring process.

As far as far as what is legal or illegal, affirmative action  is still an issue in many states and it only serves to discriminate in the form which many of you are accusing me. As for Blizzard, given their HQ is in California, laws exist there which forbid affirmative action hiring so, their policies must be in line with what I have been stating this whole time but which every one of you have ignored.

Regarding your "career", whether you are in HR or not does not matter, the old "well I am in this particular industry" bit is old and tired on the internet. There is always one person that miraculously shows up in a discussion claiming credentials which line up perfectly with the discussion. In short, you are likely full of it and think pretending to be something you are not will somehow make your post more relevant. It doesn't. Just make your argument and be part of the discussion.

Edited by Madyrn

9 hours ago, Madyrn said:

... you are likely full of it and think pretending to be something you are not will somehow make your post more relevant. It doesn't. Just make your argument and be part of the discussion.

An advice you can give to yourself too. Throwing shade on other people's character won't win you any points either. Whether or not the person you were arguing with is legit or not, they still stated their viewpoint and so could you - without all that unnecessary insult based on someone's history here.

I made this account the same way too after a long time lurking because I really wanted to say my piece in another discussion a while back. There is always the that one post to finally have a reason/excuse to create an account here so what is so suspicious about that?

If someone created an account specifically to address you then be happy your nonsense provoked them to respond.

This discussion is turning more rabid every reply. I don't know if you get my point or not. Throwing shade at someone's background while saying your piece undermines your own image.

Just make your argument.

Edited by MeOnIV
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MeOnIV said:

An advice you can give to yourself too. Throwing shade on other people's character won't win you any points either. Whether or not the person you were arguing with is legit or not, they still stated their viewpoint and so could you - without all that unnecessary insult based on someone's history here.

I made this account the same way too after a long time lurking because I really wanted to say my piece in another discussion a while back. There is always the that one post to finally have a reason/excuse to create an account here so what is so suspicious about that?

If someone created an account specifically to address you then be happy your nonsense provoked them to respond.

This discussion is turning more rabid every reply. I don't know if you get my point or not. Throwing shade at someone's background while saying your piece undermines your own image.

Just make your argument.

It's calling people out on their feeble attempt to gain respect for credentials which are unprovable. Perhaps read the thread and take the time to understand what is going on. What is interesting is I had a significant reply to that person's post yet, you only paid attention to a single line. Character indeed.

9 hours ago, Madyrn said:

It's calling people out on their feeble attempt to gain respect for credentials which are unprovable. Perhaps read the thread and take the time to understand what is going on. What is interesting is I had a significant reply to that person's post yet, you only paid attention to a single line. Character indeed.

I have been reading and all I got is you disliking someone's single sentence and tried to tone police, and when called out on it you did all this sidestepping and arguing a talking point you brought up entirely on your own to make yourself sound more righteous. Anyone who scoffs at your paper-thin nonsensical Twitter act unsettles you. That's the only thing about you that made across perfectly clear.

What prophet said right at the start was crude but it was on point and frankly quite funny. Had it been said by your friend in real life you'd give it a chuckle yourself. Settle down and stop antagonizing and having a go at anyone who disagrees with your point.

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, MeOnIV said:

I have been reading and all I got is you disliking someone's single sentence and tried to tone police, and when called out on it you did all this sidestepping and arguing a talking point you brought up entirely on your own to make yourself sound more righteous. Anyone who scoffs at your paper-thin nonsensical Twitter act unsettles you. That's the only thing about you that made across perfectly clear.

What prophet said right at the start was crude but it was on point and frankly quite funny. Had it been said by your friend in real life you'd give it a chuckle yourself. Settle down and stop antagonizing and having a go at anyone who disagrees with your point.

I was not trying to tone police, I called someone on their bullshit and explained my view.

At this point, all you are doing is attacking me and not my view. You are intentionally doing what you have accused me of.

Why do you feel the need to interject into a conversation that had nothing to do with you? Specifically, why do you feel the need, and believe you have the right, to tell someone else what they can and cannot do or say on a forum that you neither own nor are a moderator of? I never told anyone they could not say what they wished to say, yet you act as if you are the Icy Veins forum authority. Maybe go worry about yourself and let discussions happen as they happen instead of trying to impose your weak will.

Edited by Madyrn

1 hour ago, Madyrn said:

I never told anyone they could not say what they wished to say, yet you act as if you are the Icy Veins forum authority. Maybe go worry about yourself and let discussions happen as they happen instead of trying to impose your weak will.

Telling you to settle down isn't censoring or policing you, the phrase is meant to convey "calm down, don't get so personal with anyone who happens to disagree with your bs."

On 12/23/2022 at 1:41 AM, Madyrn said:

So there you go, full circle, case closed.

EDIT:

Just to put the above in context, or more precisely, my angle, so you don't accuse me of butting in again.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:10 PM, Prophet001 said:

That in my view is Prophet's opinion in favor of talent over forced inclusion/diversity. The word "because" is key here.

I think you (Madyrn) 1. read too much into it and 2. jumped to conclusion way too quickly.

Anyone from any culture and of any preference can make games. There's no need to prioritize hiring based on their weirdo preferences or race, but the ability to make good games. That's a view point I also agree with and see nothing wrong.

So no, it's not me just blindly cutting in, it's me point blank stating this "racist, sexist, exclusionist and Trump hurr durr" reaction is pathetic, textbook snowflake and very typical Twitter act and I firmly stand by it.

Edited by MeOnIV
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeOnIV said:

Telling you to settle down isn't censoring or policing you, the phrase is meant to convey "calm down, don't get so personal with anyone who happens to disagree with your bs."

So there you go, full circle, case closed.

EDIT:

Just to put the above in context, or more precisely, my angle, so you don't accuse me of butting in again.

That in my view is Prophet's opinion in favor of talent over forced inclusion/diversity. The word "because" is key here.

I think you (Madyrn) 1. read too much into it and 2. jumped to conclusion way too quickly.

Anyone from any culture and of any preference can make games. There's no need to prioritize hiring based on their weirdo preferences or race, but the ability to make good games. That's a view point I also agree with and see nothing wrong.

So no, it's not me just blindly cutting in, it's me point blank stating this "racist, sexist, exclusionist and Trump hurr durr" reaction is pathetic, textbook snowflake and very typical Twitter act and I firmly stand by it.

Not sure why I have entertained this side trip so long but it doesn't matter. I said what I believed needed to be said, and to the appropriate person. Your issues with that are yours alone but it is obvious your goal is far outside of a simple opinion. Enjoy your faux mic drop.

I firmly stand by it.

This made me lol considerably.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Madyrn said:

Your issues with that are yours alone but it is obvious your goal is far outside of a simple opinion.

Of course it wasn't.

AB should put talent first and DEI second, not the other way around. A crew can be talented AND diverse, but a crew can never be talented BECAUSE it's diverse when enforced in the hiring process.

That and you saying that's racist, sexist and exclusionary is pathetic. It's my challenge to your view but if you don't want to take it up and just "say what you needed to say" then you are exactly what I called you. And that's fine.

It's two ideas in one reply.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MeOnIV said:

Of course it wasn't.

AB should put talent first and DEI second, not the other way around. A crew can be talented AND diverse, but a crew can never be talented BECAUSE it's diverse when enforced in the hiring process.

That and you saying that's racist, sexist and exclusionary is pathetic. It's my challenge to your view but if you don't want to take it up and just "say what you needed to say" then you are exactly what I called you. And that's fine.

It's two ideas in one reply.

DEI is all about educating and ensuring race, *filtered*, sexuality, etc are not the focus. The goal is to normalize our differences so they do not stand out. When someone says something like "Don't hire people because they like weird *filtered* stuff and have different colored skin. ", they are being deliberately focused on the wrong thing but trying to mask it. If they took the time to understand what these initiatives are all about, they would see that the very thing they are arguing, quite poorly, is the goal of DEI and similar initiatives. But making the argument as Prophet did is the very issue which the initiatives seek to eliminate.

I have explained this over and over throughout this thread. I have only defended my position when people question it, and I have defended myself when people attack me. Your "two ideas in one reply" only applies in the sense that 1) you disagree with me; 2) you wish to attack me on the basis of your disagreement hence, you calling me names like snowflake.

So, I disagree with everything you are saying regarding how you have interpreted my posts. You have literally been doing everything that you have tried to accuse me of, but you are not very good at hiding it. All of this over an opinion to a single user of whom has said their piece regarding my opinion. It should have been done there but the fake HR people and the pretend psychologists just have to get there $.02 in no matter what.

Good for you.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Madyrn said:

DEI is all about educating and ensuring race, *filtered*, sexuality, etc are not the focus. The goal is to normalize our differences so they do not stand out. When someone says something like "Don't hire people because they like weird *filtered* stuff and have different colored skin. ", they are being deliberately focused on the wrong thing but trying to mask it. If they took the time to understand what these initiatives are all about, they would see that the very thing they are arguing, quite poorly, is the goal of DEI and similar initiatives. But making the argument as Prophet did is the very issue which the initiatives seek to eliminate.

I have explained this over and over throughout this thread. I have only defended my position when people question it, and I have defended myself when people attack me. Your "two ideas in one reply" only applies in the sense that 1) you disagree with me; 2) you wish to attack me on the basis of your disagreement hence, you calling me names like snowflake.

So, I disagree with everything you are saying regarding how you have interpreted my posts. You have literally been doing everything that you have tried to accuse me of, but you are not very good at hiding it. All of this over an opinion to a single user of whom has said their piece regarding my opinion. It should have been done there but the fake HR people and the pretend psychologists just have to get there $.02 in no matter what.

Good for you.

I'm not arguing what DEI is about, so why does it come up time and time again?

Every time you "defended" your position, you threw accusations and cast shade at the people you talk to, trying to undermine their position and elevating your own moral standpoint - Are you capable of making a point without antagonizing quite literally everyone you reply to in this thread? You can tell me I am wrong about that. 

I did not and will not hide my intention towards your response. I saw what you said about people's "true character/intentions" as well as the "fake HR" person's false credentials and I called it what it is - Your attitude toward people absolutely is equally if not more obnoxious and ignorant. There is no villain here, or hero in fact, so why pretend you are at the center of it being labeled one and crying foul that everyone is out to get you.

At the end of the day chuckling at AB's awful track record and making crude jokes about it is still better than dealing with some righteous, fragile soul who tries to excise cancer from society with toxic warheads.

PS I was not the first person to introduce the word snowflake into this post. If you're so easy with dishing it out, have some skin to take it too.

• Like 1

Anyway, back to the discussion.

Ybarra is a typical corporate pawn installed to put up a friendly front. In the Morhaime era Mike actively fought for the games he believed in and treated player goodwill as actual bankable capital for the company - Because he was in charge. Ybarra isn't, all he has been doing is softening the blows of corporate strategy and getting the fan base to learn to swallow it over time.

Jen Oneal was smart to leave because all the people and firms AB then proceeded to hire in order to to course correct were obvious signs none of this workplace troubles will be looked into all that seriously, except for extreme PR cases.

Disclaimer: All speculations.

But of course, none of this actually matters at the end of the day if they start making great games again. A mountain of fans will rally and absolve AB of any and all sins.

I remember when I think of AB the faces that popped up were Morhaime, Metzen, Kaplan, Adham and Brode. These days? Bobby, J.Allen Brack, Wyatt Cheng and Jay Wilson comes to mind. I don't know man, feels wrong.