FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
saltypancake

MM rotation question in WoD

Hey community, I have not been on the beta or ptr to test things and have been away from any current information for a while so forgive me if this has been answered already.

Based on the current WoD beta build, what is MM’s rotation going to be? What I am mostly interested in is a priority list. If this information has already been answered that is up to date, I apologize again and please direct me towards the thread, website or whatever. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to assist me, I really appreciate it.

Edited by saltypancake

I played around with MM while testing out the changes on the beta and ptr. It's not a spec I am passionate about so someone please correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the MM rotation will be changing much. The spec is losing Arcane shot so expect to dump your focus with Aimed shot (Thrill of the Hunt will reduce the focus cost of Aimed shot for MM hunters). The only time you may be tempted to change your rotation is during Rapid Fire due to the fact that this will now also trigger your Careful Aim passive.

• ability_hunter_zenarchery.gif Careful Aim: Increases the critical strike chance of your Steady Shot, Focusing Shot, and Aimed Shot by 60% on targets who are above 80% health or while Rapid Fire is active.

As a MM hunter you will also probably want to start tracking your new mastery buff with a weak aura or tellmewhen for optimal uptime. 

• ability_hunter_snipertraining.gif Mastery: Sniper Training: When you stand still for 3 sec, you gain Sniper Training for 6 sec, which increases your damage, shot range, and critical strike damage by 4%.

I played around with MM while testing out the changes on the beta and ptr. It's not a spec I am passionate about so someone please correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the MM rotation will be changing much. The spec is losing Arcane shot so expect to dump your focus with Aimed shot (Thrill of the Hunt will reduce the focus cost of Aimed shot for MM hunters). The only time you may be tempted to change your rotation is during Rapid Fire due to the fact that this will now also trigger your Careful Aim passive.

• ability_hunter_zenarchery.gif Careful Aim: Increases the critical strike chance of your Steady Shot, Focusing Shot, and Aimed Shot by 60% on targets who are above 80% health or while Rapid Fire is active.

As a MM hunter you will also probably want to start tracking your new mastery buff with a weak aura or tellmewhen for optimal uptime. 

• ability_hunter_snipertraining.gif Mastery: Sniper Training: When you stand still for 3 sec, you gain Sniper Training for 6 sec, which increases your damage, shot range, and critical strike damage by 4%.

Careful Aim won't change your rotation any, it just makes it even more important to reach 40% crit.  You will want to start conserving focus for when Rapid Fire is coming off cooldown though in anticipation for it.  The biggest difference between live and beta is the loss/change of steady focus and master marksman procs, but outside of that nothing big happens.  Chimaera Shot on cd, lvl 90 on cd, Aimed to dump focus, steady/focusing (not worth using) to build focus.  Default talents so far look to be TotH, AMoC, GT, and Lone Wolf.  Barrage if AoE is needed.  

Our rotation for WoD as MM is looking to be the following priority:

1. Chimera Shot
  2. Kill Shot
  3. Barrage
  4. Aimed Shot
  5. Steady Shot

Very very simple.

The talents you'll want to take are:

• Thrill of the Hunt.
  • Murder of Crows.
  • Barrage
  • Lone wolf unless AoEing for ~75% of the fight, then you'll probably want to take munitions if you opt to stay MM.

I've read that Barrage does more damage even on single target than Glaive Toss.

Sorry, so used to putting in Glaive Toss. You would be correct. Edited my post.

Seems that for boss fights with no adds and with Lone Wolf talent (both conditions must be met), Glaive Toss might be worth it.

Level 90 Talent: Barrage is currently providing the greatest DPS, compared to the other two talents in this tier.  However, its value to your overall DPS will be dependent on whether or not you take Lone Wolf (in the level 100 Tier).  With Lone Wolf, Barrage isn’t going to be as valuable as your Aimed Shot (after you consider the focus cost, along with damage), so Glaive Toss will make a better choice for pure single target DPS, since MM is lacking in instant cast, low-cost abilities. If you do not take Lone Wolf, or if there are ever any adds in the fight, then Barrage becomes the go-to talent for this tier.

Edited by Croy

Seems that for boss fights with no adds and with Lone Wolf talent, Glaive Toss might be worth it.

Yeah, Lone Wolf doesn't affect talents, or Multi-Shot. So for Multi-Target you'll probably want Barrage/Munitions if you are AoEing for x% of the fight, which has yet to be determined. Curious to see how MM performs tomorrow night.

Don't think Exotic Ammunitions will be worth it for MM, even for AoE scenarios (autoshot is pretty weak, only 8 yards spread). Extra damage from Chimaera's cleave with Lone Wolf will be higher than the gain of Incendiary Ammo (me thinks).

Also, Multi-Shot is very weak, worth using it only for 7+ targets apparently.

I've read some WoD guides on MM these past few days, this one seems the most well done to me:

WHU MM Shot Priority Rotation

WHU Best MM Talents

Edit: @Niix: I like your guide for 6.0 lvl 90 btw :)

Edited by Croy

Don't think Exotic Ammunitions will be worth it for MM, even for AoE scenarios (autoshot is pretty weak, only 8 yards spread). Extra damage from Chimaera's cleave with Lone Wolf will be higher than the gain of Incendiary Ammo (me thinks).

Also, Multi-Shot is very weak, worth using it only for 7+ targets apparently.

I've read some WoD guides on MM these past few days, this one seems the most well done to me:

WHU MM Shot Priority Rotation

WHU Best MM Talents

Edit: @Niix: I like your guide for 6.0 lvl 90 btw smile.png

Yeah everything you just mentioned is true. MM AoE will be mostly cleave, BM will pull ahead in fights like Galakras I have a feeling. 

Yeah Effinhunter did a great guide for MM on EJ and the WHU is always another great source. Curious to see if they both have the same information, and what is different. Personally I'm playing MM with a Crit > Mastery > Haste build, running Steady Focus, Stampede and Barrage. Probably switch to BM for Galakras and Spoils. 

Thanks, the guide took quite a while to write and I'll continue to update tomorrow, and during Mythic on Tuesday. Probably include some logs aswell.

I've also read Effinhunter's guide for MM on EJ. No differences froom what I've read, the guide actually complement each other in some ways.

Question: Stampede works with Lone Wolf without pet summoned? The thought haven't even crossed my mind untill I read these guides. If yes, then I assume that one must have all 5 non-exotic(?) pets with him since the glyph is kinda useless. (Another interesting thing if yes: If I have 5 spirit beasts/ exotic pets with me, will they come out on Stampede? That would be cool and also usefull by preventing me to summon a pet by mistake :P)

I've also read Effinhunter's guide for MM on EJ. No differences froom what I've read, the guide actually complement each other in some ways.

Question: Stampede works with Lone Wolf without pet summoned? The thought haven't even crossed my mind untill I read these guides. If yes, then I assume that one must have all 5 non-exotic(?) pets with him since the glyph is kinda useless. (Another interesting thing if yes: If I have 5 spirit beasts/ exotic pets with me, will they come out on Stampede? That would be cool and also usefull by preventing me to summon a pet by mistake tongue.png)

So far, yes.  I've done a few tests with Stampede + Lone Wolf, but Stampede was just so lackluster that I haven't used it since.  The results are here.  These tests were for level 100, so there will be a difference in numbers for that and level 90.

So far, yes.  I've done a few tests with Stampede + Lone Wolf, but Stampede was just so lackluster that I haven't used it since.  The results are here.  These tests were for level 100, so there will be a difference in numbers for that and level 90.

At level 90 Stampede is currently buggy in SimCraft and is showing more damage than it should. Even without that, with the kill times the way they are in SoO, you actually won't see a consistent loss of DPS by using either MoC or Stampede so choose whichever one you like.

And to correct a few points you made in your post you referenced, which I'm assuming is for L100 and not L90, At level 90 Steady Focus is the 60 tier talent for MM, Dire Beast for SV and BM. Blink Strikes on Basically everything as BM except IJ and such. Crows or Stampede for SV and MM and Barrage across the board.

I have my "guesses" for lack of a better word, compiled in my 6.0 hunter guide at the very bottom.

And to correct a few points you made in your post you referenced, which I'm assuming is for L100 and not L90, At level 90 Steady Focus is the 60 tier talent for MM, Dire Beast for SV and BM. Blink Strikes on Basically everything as BM except IJ and such. Crows or Stampede for SV and MM and Barrage across the board.

I have my "guesses" for lack of a better word, compiled in my 6.0 hunter guide at the very bottom.

The post I referenced was my testing of the talents at level 100, so, yes it is for level 100.  And I'll be using TotH for MM, mostly because the change to steady focus just doesn't appeal to me (the one change that I dislike more than others).

OK, just tested using Stampede with Lone Wolf (no pet summoned and no Glyph of Stampede ofc):

-  5 pets in "inventory", 3 normals & 2 exotics: 3 pets got summoned

- 4 pets in "inventory", 2 normals & 2 exotics: 3 pets got summoned (1 a copy of the first non-exotic pet - top to down - in the Stable Mater interface)

- 2 pets in "inventory": 1 normal & 1 exotic: 4 pets got summoned (3 copies of the same first non exotic pet...)

- 1 pet in "inventory", 1 normal: 5 pets got summoned ( 4 copies of the same first non-exotic pet...)

- 5 pets in "inventory", all normal pets: 5 pets got summoned

The pets won't attack unles I attack ofc.

Right now me won't use Stampede as MM, but good to know for later if it gets buffed :P

PS: Just fol the lolz, for last 2 test I had Spirit Bond talent and the buff showed up when Stampede pets where summoned :D

So Spirit Bond is completely non-functional when Lone Wolf is taken? I assume the same is true for Intimidation?

Hope they patch that, at least when GoSac became a thing for Locks they remembered to tweak the pet-specific talents to make them usable...

So Spirit Bond is completely non-functional when Lone Wolf is taken? I assume the same is true for Intimidation?

Hope they patch that, at least when GoSac became a thing for Locks they remembered to tweak the pet-specific talents to make them usable...

Yeah currently there are three talents that are useless with Lone Wolf, considering Lone Wolf is a level 100 talent and fairly important I really hope they compensate for Intimidation, Blink Strikes and Spirit Bond.

• Like 1