FORUMS
Damien

Marksmanship Hunter 6.2

Guest Turambar

Hello and thanks for the very useful guide! I'm having some problems with the addons, i can't find a focus bar addon that actually works, none of those posted are updated for 6.0 ( Stay Focused! was last updated in 2011 and JS in mid 2014 but the project is abandoned). Currently i'm using the Elvui one by detaching it form the player frame but a specific one would be lovelly. Do you have any hints?

Regards,

Turambar

Guest Kuwah

The guide sends some mixed signals about A Murder of Crows. It tells us on the Talent page that Stampede is the better option, then proceed to explain the rotation using A Murder of Crows as it is "the best (one) in terms of DPS."

Hello and thanks for the very useful guide! I'm having some problems with the addons, i can't find a focus bar addon that actually works, none of those posted are updated for 6.0 ( Stay Focused! was last updated in 2011 and JS in mid 2014 but the project is abandoned). Currently i'm using the Elvui one by detaching it form the player frame but a specific one would be lovelly. Do you have any hints?

Regards,

Turambar

Get Weak Auras 2 and use this WA string.  This is Niix's focus bar WA (not in any way or shape mine), and works good.  I've also seen somewhere on MMO-C that someone else updated and shared a JSHB update, but I haven't used it myself so I don't know whether or not it works (I would assume it does though).

The guide sends some mixed signals about A Murder of Crows. It tells us on the Talent page that Stampede is the better option, then proceed to explain the rotation using A Murder of Crows as it is "the best (one) in terms of DPS."

This was a technical issue on our side, the two pages should now be in agreement. My apologies (P.S. it's Murder of Crows (for now)).

Guest Guest

I dont agree with that in SoO Stampede as MM Hunter is still better. The Encounters are 2-3 Minutes alive in Mythic and Stampede got a higher burst.

This was a technical issue on our side, the two pages should now be in agreement. My apologies (P.S. it's Murder of Crows (for now)).

Considering both got equally buffed (Direct +80% to AMoC and the change to pets inheriting 60% AP (60/33=1.8181818181x)), either one should be roughly as powerful relative to the other as before.  I haven't tested the difference between the two, but considering AoC reduces the CD of Stampede, but not AMoC, I would recommend using Stampede.

Considering both got equally buffed (Direct +80% to AMoC and the change to pets inheriting 60% AP (60/33=1.8181818181x)), either one should be roughly as powerful relative to the other as before.  I haven't tested the difference between the two, but considering AoC reduces the CD of Stampede, but not AMoC, I would recommend using Stampede.

The only fight you'll want to use Crows on is Immerseus. On every other fight, other than Galakras and Spoils you'll want Stampede.

On Galak and Spoils you want Blink Strikes.

The 80% buff to AMoC is good, but the AP buff to pets is roughly an 83% increase to Stampede. Still leaving it ahead, especially since fights are sub 2:00 or close to it. 

Now that I've seen the mastery of the MM why should we go on Haste. Mastery could push us more or am I wrong?

Edit:

I simcrafted now and the result was:
If 1 put in the yellow and the blue sockets some +10crit +10 mastery (greens ones) gem'S in I made more Dps. Tested it vs. blue +20crit and yellow +20crit gems.

now my gemming looks like:

Red Sockets: +10 Haste +10crit
Yellow Sockets: +10crit +10mastery
Blue Sockets: +10cit+10mastery

tell me if I'm wrong. Can't find a mistake I could have made.

Simcraft Results:

+10crit +10haste and +10crit +10mastery sockets:

http://workupload.com/file/ys4fZYoB

+10crit +10haste and +20crit:

http://workupload.com/file/ovZ1MyIs

Amory LInk: 
http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/blackhand/Gromgil/simple

Edited by Gromgil

Now that I've seen the mastery of the MM why should we go on Haste. Mastery could push us more or am I wrong?

Edit:

I simcrafted now and the result was:

If 1 put in the yellow and the blue sockets some +10crit +10 mastery (greens ones) gem'S in I made more Dps. Tested it vs. blue +20crit and yellow +20crit gems.

now my gemming looks like:

Red Sockets: +10 Haste +10crit

Yellow Sockets: +10crit +10mastery

Blue Sockets: +10cit+10mastery

tell me if I'm wrong. Can't find a mistake I could have made.

Simcraft Results:

+10crit +10haste and +10crit +10mastery sockets:

http://workupload.com/file/ys4fZYoB

+10crit +10haste and +20crit:

http://workupload.com/file/ovZ1MyIs

Amory LInk: 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/blackhand/Gromgil/simple

Mastery only gets as much value as you are able to get out of it. Every sim you run regarding MM will have your uptime at 100% which realistically on most fights probably wont happen.. Haste is just more reliable than mastery and gives us much needed focus regen, since we have 3 spells that cost high amounts of focus. Aimed and Barrage are two of the most costly abilities in the game. Mastery is weighted at .79 while haste is .80 so they are both so close that even playing optimally with mastery > haste you wont see a DPS gain, and MM is very very tough to play with a 99% uptime on Sniper Training.

Something that I noticed. Why would you chose 10 crit 10 mastery when in those two slots you can get 20 crit? You're choosing to only get 10 of your best stat per gem instead of 20? It's not that mastery or haste are better than one another, it's that crit is better than both. You can't gem for crit + mastery in red sockets where that is the only one that you'd even want to.

Just for reference I ran the sims with the gem setup you posted above.

knatg4B.png

The difference is only ~70 DPS. Even if you have a 100% uptime on your mastery you'll still do worse than if you played with crit gems.

Guest MarcusK

Sorry to nitpic, but since I simply love what you guys are doing here, just wanted to point out that in Marksmanship page, Tier 4 talents, Steady Shot references Cobra shot, which is for BM and SV (at least according to the tooltip smile.png), when it should reference Steady Shot!

Again, thanks for everything you guys do here. It's quite refreshing to have a guide that guides instead of say do this and shut up!

Cheers!

Guest Bogan

Hi, 

I would just like to point out the Cataclysm potions actually give more stats.

MOP: Flask of Sping Blossoms = 114 Agility

Cata: Flash of the Winds = 119 Agility.

This is the same for all stats, as STR and INT potions also give 114 and 119.

Thanks.

Sorry to nitpic, but since I simply love what you guys are doing here, just wanted to point out that in Marksmanship page, Tier 4 talents, Steady Shot references Cobra shot, which is for BM and SV (at least according to the tooltip smile.png), when it should reference Steady Shot!

Again, thanks for everything you guys do here. It's quite refreshing to have a guide that guides instead of say do this and shut up!

Cheers!

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to fix it!

Guest Narok

On the talent page you suggest Steady Focus as the talent as it is better dps, but on the rotation page, you suggest that Thrill of the Hunt is the better one, and the rotation is based on the idea that you took Thrill.

Guest Alasdeceniza

Hi, I don't understand why versatility is one of the worst weighted stats. If this guide argues that mastery is the best secondary stat if combat is static (to get increase of damage in % by sniper training) why it is not the best secondary stat the versatility that yields exactly the same damage increase (and other additional benefits)?

Guest Hero for all

It apears that every hunter can use heroism/bloodlust now with the nether ray pet.

Guest Jehem

I'm still confused about the stat priority and gems. If Agility is still the best stat and Crit second, why would I gem for Crit and not for Agility (as we used to)? Or another example: If I had two items, one with 10 Agility and 20 Crit and the other with 20 Agility and 10 Crit, which one would be better?

About Thrill of the hunt: I often find myself with not enough focus when it procs, so I have to use a steady shot first. And even if I have enough focus for the first aimed shot, I have to use a steady shot after it. Most of the time chimaera shot is ready by then, and another steady shot to get some focus. Highly irritating for me to have a spell highlighted that I can't even use half the time (compared to lock and load for instance).

I'm still confused about the stat priority and gems. If Agility is still the best stat and Crit second, why would I gem for Crit and not for Agility (as we used to)? Or another example: If I had two items, one with 10 Agility and 20 Crit and the other with 20 Agility and 10 Crit, which one would be better?

About Thrill of the hunt: I often find myself with not enough focus when it procs, so I have to use a steady shot first. And even if I have enough focus for the first aimed shot, I have to use a steady shot after it. Most of the time chimaera shot is ready by then, and another steady shot to get some focus. Highly irritating for me to have a spell highlighted that I can't even use half the time (compared to lock and load for instance).

Regarding Gems:  The current (level 90, so this will change for 100) stat weights have Crit worth more than half of Agi weight (0.8 vs 1 respectively).  Crit gems give twice the amount of Crit than Agi gems do (20 Crit vs 10 Agi).  If you multiply the weight by the gain, you get the value of the gem, so a pure Crit gem is worth 20*.8=16 vs a pure Agi gem is worth 10*1=10.  As for the Crit/Haste gems, it is because Haste also has a weight that is more than half of Agi weight (~.75 vs 1 respectively). 

Regarding TotH, this is mostly a playstyle choice.  You aren't always going to be able to spam 3 Aimed Shots in a row when it procs, and in reality this will be very unlikely, since you do have Chimaera Shot and Barrage/Glaive Toss coming off cd or not enough focus when it procs (you need about 75 focus to chain cast all three back to back when it procs).  TotH is a RNG factor, and with good usage and uptime, can greatly increase your DPS.

Guest illsmurfuup

So it says multistrike is the best stat but it also says to gem for crit is that because it doesn't calculate the extra 5% in from lethal shots on the stat priority page or what

So it says multistrike is the best stat but it also says to gem for crit is that because it doesn't calculate the extra 5% in from lethal shots on the stat priority page or what

Multi-Strike is our second best stat. Crit is our first, this should be changed.

Guest Cadias

I was woundering why PvP gear is BIS for Pve right now? and if that is a 100% correct? it sounds wierd or dosent it?

Guest Speaker

So it says that the two main choices for the lvl 100 MM talents are Lone Wolf, or Focusing Shot. As someone who personally love Exotic Muntions, what can be done to make it more viable? Would removing the cast time help, or are the numbers just too low?

Guest Darg

Noticed an issue: the guide says that the default choice for the tier 7 talent should be Lone Wolf but then says Glyph of Animal Bond is "practically mandatory".