Damien

Frost Mage 6.2

108 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Frost Mage guide.

I am a fairly new mage, and i was wondering how to use alter time, the description on it is a bit confusing in 6.0.2

AT's offensive value has significantly decreased. What you can use it very effectively for, is for bosses like SHA, when you can AT, soak a rift, and then AT back to the original position!

Stat priority lists intellect as being the top stat. So why does it suggest to gem for haste and haste/crit instead of intellect? that doesn't make much sense.

Stat priority lists intellect as being the top stat. So why does it suggest to gem for haste and haste/crit instead of intellect? that doesn't make much sense.

That's because an Intellect gem only gives you +10 Intellect, while a gem with a secondary stat gives you +20 of that stat. So Intellect, doesn't just need to be better than a secondary stat to make it worth it to gem Intellect, it needs to be twice as desirable (which is not the case, obviously)

would using the insanity buff[plus 50 to all stats] from timeless isles in a raid be better then flask of warm sun [115 int] as plus 50 to multistrike would be a proc increase overall

would using the insanity buff[plus 50 to all stats] from timeless isles in a raid be better then flask of warm sun [115 int] as plus 50 to multistrike would be a proc increase overall

Does it really increase Multistrike?

I can't see any mention of Amplify Magic, either under 'Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities' or (more likely) under 'Buffs, Debuffs, and Useful Abilities'.

Has this been missed, or have I overlooked something?

I can't see any mention of Amplify Magic, either under 'Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities' or (more likely) under 'Buffs, Debuffs, and Useful Abilities'.

Has this been missed, or have I overlooked something?

I know, I forgot to add it tongue.png I'll try and take care of it today!

What about professions? Is any of them preferable to any other? Just about to boost my new mage and 'd like to now :p

What about professions? Is any of them preferable to any other? Just about to boost my new mage and 'd like to now tongue.png

Profession bonuses are gone, so just choose a profession you like or that can craft useful stuff for your Mage, like tailoring.

If you are low on gold consider alchemy, as you can craft your own flasks for double the duration.

I would like to add a macro I just came up with as I haven't seen it anywhere else and it is rather useful (if you use the ice nova talent)

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt, talent:5/3] ice nova
/cast [talent:5/3,@target, exists, harm] ice nova
/cast [talent:5/1] frost nova
/cast [talent:5/2] frost nova

What this does is prevent you from casting ice nova without an enemy target around, or it will cast frost nova if you do not have the ice nova talent and alternately you can press alt and still cast it (perhaps theres a rogue nearby).

I would like to add a macro I just came up with as I haven't seen it anywhere else and it is rather useful (if you use the ice nova talent)

#showtooltip
/cast [talent:5/3,@target, exists, harm] ice nova

What this does is prevent you from casting ice nova without an enemy target around, or it will cast frost nova if you do not have the ice nova talent and alternately you can press alt and still cast it (perhaps theres a rogue nearby).

Oh, this is great mate, I would indeed suggest Damien to add this to the macros! :)

Hello, 

The information on the BiS trinkets is outdated in the frost mage guild. In 6.03 we can't use the proc of Black Blood of Y'shaar to refresh our dots, because we don't have any dots as frost mages.  tongue.png

Hello, 

The information on the BiS trinkets is outdated in the frost mage guild. In 6.03 we can't use the proc of Black Blood of Y'shaar to refresh our dots, because we don't have any dots as frost mages.  tongue.png

Yep, you are right. Nevertheless, it's a new expansion at 24.00 EU server time today, so everything here is basically out-dated. :P Wait until tomorrow! :)

Updated my ice Nova macro

#showtooltip frost nova

/cast [talent:5/3,@target, exists, harm, nodead] ice nova

now it should always show a tooltip, and the nodead addition further prevents you from wasting charges.

Edited by Tipsey
  • Like 2

Got a question, is there any haste cap for frost to reach? or is it literately one of the worse stats now? 

Sorry I'm no math wizz but, out of curiosity would not taking unstable magic (and possibly prismatic crystal) change stat priority for a frost mage? I assume since the chance of getting more procs (or greater use of prismatic crystal) increases based on greater number of casts if it would affect the value of haste for frost?

Appreciate what you guys do here and thanks in advance for the response!

Thanks for the update! However I dont see it addressed but it seems the water jet and frost nova from the elemental share a cooldown, can you address this in the guide? Also its unclear during a phase with the prismatic crystal and ice lance cleaving a boss should you be attacking the shard or the boss? You say to apply frostbomb to the boss does it still benefit from ice lances generated for the cleave? 

Got a question, is there any haste cap for frost to reach? or is it literately one of the worse stats now?

There's no cap. It is just not a stat you should prioritize. It doesn't mean it's bad, but it's below the others.

Sorry I'm no math wizz but, out of curiosity would not taking unstable magic (and possibly prismatic crystal) change stat priority for a frost mage? I assume since the chance of getting more procs (or greater use of prismatic crystal) increases based on greater number of casts if it would affect the value of haste for frost?

Not according to our reviewer.

Thanks for the update! However I dont see it addressed but it seems the water jet and frost nova from the elemental share a cooldown, can you address this in the guide? Also its unclear during a phase with the prismatic crystal and ice lance cleaving a boss should you be attacking the shard or the boss? You say to apply frostbomb to the boss does it still benefit from ice lances generated for the cleave?

Freeze and Water Jet do share a cooldown. I'll add something to the guide for people wondering about that. In the meantime, I've made the Prismatic Crystal explanations clearer.

Technically there is a cap for 989 haste, which is the time when IV unglyphed gives 50% Haste (GCD Cap). Only worth considering (needs to be tested in raids) when you take Thermal Void. This is purely theoretical though and we have to see how it works in raid environments.

Technically it alters the stat weights, but not the stat priority. Generally stats are weird for Frost and change on a character by character basis. The only thing you know for sure is int>>Multistrik>> insert anything else in random order.

Why do you cast frost bomb on the boss instead of the crystal?

Nevermind, more uptime to cast Ice Lance on the crystal instead of using precious time to Frost Bomb it.

PCrystal and FBomb only seems useful on stationary targets, is Comet Storm any good?

Edited by Archimage

Why do you cast frost bomb on the boss instead of the crystal?

Nevermind, more uptime to cast Ice Lance on the crystal instead of using precious time to Frost Bomb it.

PCrystal and FBomb only seems useful on stationary targets, is Comet Storm any good?

Nope, not at the moment. Comet Storm unfortunately is a but undertuned compared to the other 2 talents. It doesn't have the synergy with anything.. It's like.. a filler..