FORUMS
Damien

Frost Mage 6.2

Guest Thanas

Is there a way to turn off the frost pets auto attack on splash channeling spell.  It really is interfering with the timing.

Thank you.

Is there a way to turn off the frost pets auto attack on splash channeling spell.  It really is interfering with the timing.

Thank you.

no. cast water jet when frostbolt is a little behind the middle of its cast. it works 100% of the time.

no. cast water jet when frostbolt is a little behind the middle of its cast. it works 100% of the time.

I'm not sure if this was answer to the actual question, so I'll answer too. :P

You can open your spellbook, go to the pet tab (summon your pet first) and right-click on water jet, so it won't have a shiny animation around it anymore (this means no auto-cast). Make sure Water Bolt is still on auto-cast!

aaaaaaaaaaaaah I thought the question was: Can you cancel waterbolt cast to prio Water Jet :P

Guest Foodtruck

I read through the waterjet guide and you're making everything too complicated. In order to get 2 fingers of frost, cast water jet halfway through the cast of your first frostbolt then cast frostbolt a second time. Both will be within range of the waterjet giving you two fingers of frost procs. 

I read through the waterjet guide and you're making everything too complicated. In order to get 2 fingers of frost, cast water jet halfway through the cast of your first frostbolt then cast frostbolt a second time. Both will be within range of the waterjet giving you two fingers of frost procs. 

The point was: you can get up to three if you complicate it.

Guest Sawbossnl

In your opening rotation are you not using prismatic crystal?

Hi there,

got a question to what 3 tailoring pieces are best pre raiding and what of these 3 got prio in crafting?

thanks

jing

Edited by Jing

The point was: you can get up to three if you complicate it.

However the guide doesn't really say that you have to cast Water Jet mid cast. And the 4 second channel is incorrect. It's precisely (or it was so in beta) 2x your Frostbolt casttime

Guest Mad Man Moose

Hi there,

got a question to what 3 tailoring pieces are best pre raiding and what of these 3 got prio in crafting?

thanks

jing

I would possibly say Cloak, Bracers, Belt or the Boots as you will want the other spots for Tier Gear

Guest Schizo

Seems like Nova is better then FB, both in Single and Bomb Fights (Source: SimCraft for my char).

Guess thats quite interesting and not intented...

For me, Nova, Mirror and Crystal are the talents to take at the moment.

Is it worth it to only cast Frozen Orb when Prismatic Crystal is available ? If you cast FO on cooldown, then you will have to cast one out of two PC without FO, meaning that you won't have a reliable source of Fingers of Frost during one of these PC. Let's say the rng really isn't nice with us and the Forstbolt spam on PC doesn't give any charge of FoF, is it a dps loss ? Shouldn't we avoid casting FB on PC at most anyway ? The only thing I can think of to counter that is to cast Water Jet just before PC comes off cooldown to be able to use 2 charges of FoF on this FO-less PC. But I remain... unconvinced.

In your opening rotation are you not using prismatic crystal?

It's priority is indeed missing from the opening sequence. I'll poke our admin. It also needs some other adjustments. Check back a few days later, please! :)

Hi there,

thanks

jing

Since they get random stats, it doesn't matter. What I suggest is: Do dungeons and fill up any remaining spots that decreases your item level. Eg.: you have everything up to 630, except your belt. Then craft a belt. Also, keep in mind, that the 3 items restriction is shared between all professions. At the moment, the Darkmoon Faire trinket is BiS for all mage specs, thus it takes up one slot. Inscription staffs might also worth taking.. So the idea is: Get the trinket, then fill up any missing slots with crafted items.

Seems like Nova is better then FB, both in Single and Bomb Fights (Source: SimCraft for my char).

Guess thats quite interesting and not intented...

For me, Nova, Mirror and Crystal are the talents to take at the moment.

Frost Bomb's value will significantly increase with gear. Right now, for dungeons and CMs, Ice Nova is definitely better. But do your sims again in raid gear. :)

Is it worth it to only cast Frozen Orb when Prismatic Crystal is available ? If you cast FO on cooldown, then you will have to cast one out of two PC without FO, meaning that you won't have a reliable source of Fingers of Frost during one of these PC. Let's say the rng really isn't nice with us and the Forstbolt spam on PC doesn't give any charge of FoF, is it a dps loss ? Shouldn't we avoid casting FB on PC at most anyway ? The only thing I can think of to counter that is to cast Water Jet just before PC comes off cooldown to be able to use 2 charges of FoF on this FO-less PC. But I remain... unconvinced.

No don't delay it, especially don't with Frost Bomb (unless, there will be adds spawning soon). It's not a DPS loss, because PC increases Frostbolts damage as well. You can be unlucky, yes, but it's still more damage. You should avoid casting Frostbomb on PC, yes. The water elemental's Water Jet delay sounds pretty nice actually, but don't wait like 15 seconds with it..

Guest Ragadast- Tyrande EU

Hi, im a spanish mage, so, sorry about my bad english.

I want to know how exacly Brain Freeze works with the multistrike of Frost bolt.

Each multistrike of frostbolt increases the chance for the next frostbolt in a 35%? (10%+ 25%) or 25% of the first chance(10%) = 12,5%.

Really good work with the guide!! thanks

"Frost Bomb is the clear winner"

Okay, I've been running quite a few heroics by now with 630+ Gear, alongside other really good mages. I've first used Icy Veins recommendations - no chance. Even with holding up the dot on just one boss (I'm lacking in trash mob DPS due to the frost bombs meager output) I lose 4-5K DPS against "Ice Nova".

Same goes for Thermal Void. While in theory it might be practical, it's not. Testing various speccs / talent setups, the comet storm beats it due to the instant damage (currently testing the crystal, need to run along side another frost mage tho).

Noxxis guide to frost mages is also completely different and measuring DPS every day since running heroics, it's so far clear.

Now I do not yet know if this might change with bosses in the upcoming raids. ood thing I can swap out talents easily nowadays.

What's your setup?

(BTW: 100+K Burst DPS was my max with comet, ice nova, frozen orb etc. on trash mobs and I believe around 60K+ on bosses - never ever got that with frost bomb)

Hi, im a spanish mage, so, sorry about my bad english.

I want to know how exacly Brain Freeze works with the multistrike of Frost bolt.

Each multistrike of frostbolt increases the chance for the next frostbolt in a 35%? (10%+ 25%) or 25% of the first chance(10%) = 12,5%.

Really good work with the guide!! thanks

It's simple.

If your Frostbolt does not multistrike, there is a 10% chance it will proc Brain Freeze.

If your Frostbolt multistrike once, there is a 35% chance it will proc Brain Freeze.

If your Frostbolt mutistrike twice, there is a 60% chance it will proc Brain Freeze.

"Frost Bomb is the clear winner"

Okay, I've been running quite a few heroics by now with 630+ Gear, alongside other really good mages. I've first used Icy Veins recommendations - no chance. Even with holding up the dot on just one boss (I'm lacking in trash mob DPS due to the frost bombs meager output) I lose 4-5K DPS against "Ice Nova".

Same goes for Thermal Void. While in theory it might be practical, it's not. Testing various speccs / talent setups, the comet storm beats it due to the instant damage (currently testing the crystal, need to run along side another frost mage tho).

Noxxis guide to frost mages is also completely different and measuring DPS every day since running heroics, it's so far clear.

Now I do not yet know if this might change with bosses in the upcoming raids. ood thing I can swap out talents easily nowadays.

What's your setup?

(BTW: 100+K Burst DPS was my max with comet, ice nova, frozen orb etc. on trash mobs and I believe around 60K+ on bosses - never ever got that with frost bomb)

"Holding up the dot". What? What dot? There is no dot for frost. <.<

In HCs adds and bosses die way too fast for Frost Bomb to be worth it, yes. But these recommendations are mainly for raiding. Also, they are not set in stone, as it is mentioned in the guide as well.

Comet Storm beating Thermal Void? I highly doubt that. Yes, under 15-20 seconds, Comet Storm will of course beat it, since it's a burst. But have you tested it on a 10 minutes long fight? (as you also mention, it's a nice burst, but then.. you will fall behind so much on raids without your burst, that might be embarassing..)

Please, do not refer to Noxxic. They had an out-dated guide for months in 5.4, with instructions to build up 3 stacks of Frostbolt debuff, which was removed in.... 5.2? I haven't dared to check back there since that time..

Guest Skruffens

Thanks for a nice guid :)

I have a question for you.

What enchants do you recommend using for the other items not listed? Like chest, pants etc..?

Hey, new poster, longtime reader.

I was wondering about the DPS comparison for extended (~6-8 minutes) fights using Thermal Void vs. Prism. If I am maintaining Icy Veins for, at minimum, an additional 20s (30% uptime in a 7 minute fight), at the cost of, at most, two blind Ice Lances, would the overall damage change vs. Prism be a loss significant enough to change my rotation? I'll probably be at about 640 ilvl by Tuesday.

Or, is the above all moot, as I should simply learn to use Prism/FB in my rotation so I can do some stupid burst (re: FO/FB during Self-Reflection) during AoE phases without having two noticeably different rotations?

If it helps, I mainly adhered to the stat guide--- Frostbolt cast time is about 1.9; multistrike will be 30% or so by the time I zone into Highmaul on the 2nd.

I've been torn on these questions for awhile, as changing to Prism/Bomb is a veryyy different rotation, and seems unforgiving to the extent of Combustion, that ability in the spec we can't play.

Thank you in advance for any insights, opinions, and/or suggestions.

-Eve

Guest Lilý

Hey,

why is Crit > Mastery? Shatter is just for frozen targets and there're just a few situations with frozen targets... Is Crit even without Shatter strong than Mastery?

Guest Kazkam

Please, do not refer to Noxxic. They had an out-dated guide for months in 5.4, with instructions to build up 3 stacks of Frostbolt debuff, which was removed in.... 5.2? I haven't dared to check back there since that time..

Funny wink.png

You should take a look... in their guide you can choose ilvl and they tell weight stat that is much more interesting than the priority...

Also they had, that seems to be the good priority/weights, since the starting of WoD and icy veins's guide hadn't...and now you have join them for ice nova and weight stat...

So please respect others guides cause we are so much reading and listening to both of you...

(Sorry for my poor english) 

Funny wink.png

You should take a look... in their guide you can choose ilvl and they tell weight stat that is much more interesting than the priority...

Also they had, that seems to be the good priority/weights, since the starting of WoD and icy veins's guide hadn't...and now you have join them for ice nova and weight stat...

So please respect others guides cause we are so much reading and listening to both of you...

(Sorry for my poor english)

By which standard did we not have the right stats in our guide? Kuni, who reviews the guide, is the main theorycrafter of the spec. As far as I know, all Noxxic does is look at what the SimC profiles do and then somehow they make that into a guide. And you need to understand that you could have the wrongest gear possible and it would make literally no difference on your DPS, because skill matters so much more.

And the reason we don't give stat weights is because it varies so much with the gear you have that there is no point to do so (and I'm not talking about item level here). Giving a general stat priority is much more useful.

Hey, new poster, longtime reader.

I was wondering about the DPS comparison for extended (~6-8 minutes) fights using Thermal Void vs. Prism. If I am maintaining Icy Veins for, at minimum, an additional 20s (30% uptime in a 7 minute fight), at the cost of, at most, two blind Ice Lances, would the overall damage change vs. Prism be a loss significant enough to change my rotation? I'll probably be at about 640 ilvl by Tuesday.

Or, is the above all moot, as I should simply learn to use Prism/FB in my rotation so I can do some stupid burst (re: FO/FB during Self-Reflection) during AoE phases without having two noticeably different rotations?

If it helps, I mainly adhered to the stat guide--- Frostbolt cast time is about 1.9; multistrike will be 30% or so by the time I zone into Highmaul on the 2nd.

I've been torn on these questions for awhile, as changing to Prism/Bomb is a veryyy different rotation, and seems unforgiving to the extent of Combustion, that ability in the spec we can't play.

Thank you in advance for any insights, opinions, and/or suggestions.

-Eve

Hello Eve,

I think that this should be asked in the Mage section. It warrants a discussion of its own.

Why is Crit > Mastery?

Because it sims much higher than Mastery.

Crit > Mastery because crit has always been a strong stat for frost, only before most of the crit used to reach shatter cap was hidden in intellect and intellect procs. 

Oh and even please repost your post on the mage forums and we'll talk there :)