FORUMS
Damien

Discipline Priest 6.2

Guest Schäfer

Hi there,

I am enjoying your guide on the Discipline Priest.

While reading on suggested AddOns, you do not mention "Decursive", which to me is an invaluable tool, togeher with "Grid" for Raiding. For ElvUI it is recommended to use "Clique", which provides all the @mouseover features, with configurable mousekeys, extra mouse buttons, etc - to simply right click or middle click over the grid, to cast spells on that target - if the mouse is not hovering a raid unit frame, it will cast the spell on the default (self or MT).

You have any comments to these, or why you don't use them?

/Schäfer @ Runetotem

Guest Demmuda Wyrmrest

Today I tried to download "ElvUI" and my Malware detection exploded. The download left me with over thirty detected threats. I thought maybe I had gone to the wrong site but then found this at the battlenet forums:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14880818840

Please think twice before loading this program onto your computer.

The battle.net link doesn't work. It probably got removed, because it was non-sensical. The only thing you download from ElvUI is a zip file containing a number of text files organized in directories. These text files are just LUA code that will be executed by your WoW client and the LUA interpreter in WoW is extremely restrictive in what it allows addons to do.

In short the problem lies with your malware detection software, not with ElvUI.

The link appears to work now.

The discussion has seem to come to the conclusion that an addon ontop of elvui called shadow and light has a "backdoor" and the standard elvui pack has no such problem.

Im still going to use elvui and have never had a malware issue with it over the years of my usage.

Can someone explain to me why dysmorphic samophlange is still a BiS trinket with the drop of 6.0.3?  i am not sure I understand.  Mana isn't an issue, so the spirit proc is pretty useless.  So you are pretty much just getting a straight int buff.  it seems to me that there would be a better trinket now for disc priests and holy priests.  pretty much all healers.  am I wrong?

Berdine

Can someone explain to me why dysmorphic samophlange is still a BiS trinket with the drop of 6.0.3?  i am not sure I understand.  Mana isn't an issue, so the spirit proc is pretty useless.  So you are pretty much just getting a straight int buff.  it seems to me that there would be a better trinket now for disc priests and holy priests.  pretty much all healers.  am I wrong?

Berdine

Thanks for pointing it out. Black of Blood Y'Shaarj, for instance, is much better. I'm fixing the guide now.

A nice guildy is now outhealing a lot of our healers just spamming PW:S and Holy Nova..
It's redicilous (believe me, he isn't the talented player).

I've done upwards of 20k hps on a 563 disc priest doing nothing but spamming holy nova on GCD. healing breakdown at the end was something like 65% holy nova, 33% divine aegis (from holy nova crits), and 2% a couple other things that I cast 1-2 times.

But that won't hold up at level 100. Holy nova isn't nearly as mana efficient at level 100, and the healing of other spells is much stronger compared to it. Holy nova may remain a decent filler spell for aoe healing situations, but it won't be a GCD spam like it is right now. 

Guest Guest

Thanks for the update. There's probably a typo I would like to mention. In stat priority there's written "haste" as 2nd important stat, which I assume the writer probably meant "spirit".

Guest Zerael

Wait, I don't really get it, in stat priority haste is second prefered stat, but in the explanation you've written that it's low priority?

At early iLVLs though, probably all through Highmaul, Mastery IS more important based on the current state of PWS.  IF/when PWS get a nerf Mastery will fall back down the list.

Guest Vanessa

Yes, I do believe that is a typo.  Should be Crit>Mast and Haste will not be something you go after as Disc.

So same deal as in MoP? Why was it all changed to haste in the first place? Lol. So confused. Someone please update accurately. smile.png

Thanks, guys. You're right about Haste not being worth such a high spot. I'm updating the priority now.

Guest Jezebel

So Jaz no longer plays disc in WoD?    Is that a sign the spec is no longer viable ?

No, it is still viable.  Atm, there look to be plenty streams and posts about both specs.  Will get a better feel for the balance between which spec is preferred in raiding starting Dec 9 when Mythic unlocks

Where's spirit on that list though?

The summary of stats below mention it, but it's nowhere on the listing.

I really don't think you can just plop Spirit down into the priority and say "this is how important it is", because it doesn't really directly compete with other stats. To begin with, it's only there on some select few pieces of gear, and more importantly, it's hard to assign it a strict value, since it works on the "until you're comfortable" system. As we say, it is an important stat, and you should initially get it where ever you can, but after that you need to evaluate your healing and see if you need more or not.

I really don't think you can just plop Spirit down into the priority and say "this is how important it is", because it doesn't really directly compete with other stats. To begin with, it's only there on some select few pieces of gear, and more importantly, it's hard to assign it a strict value, since it works on the "until you're comfortable" system. As we say, it is an important stat, and you should initially get it where ever you can, but after that you need to evaluate your healing and see if you need more or not.

This is a dangerous road to take. Spirit is if anything a buffer. It will help you recuperate if you managed your mana wrongly. It'll help you in longer fight. It's essentially a stat you take to give yourself some sort of protection against bad decisions or player folly.

You're right that when played well spirit is only needed up to a certain point, but IV guides ultimately serve as introductions with additional bits for getting better at a given spec. And it's exactly those players for whom spirit will work the best. Players new to a class will make more mistakes, they will not know exactly what to do when. Spirit is a mean to reduce the lash back from those mistakes. Not mentioning it until the more spelled-out advanced section doesn't underscore how important spirit can be. This at least is why I always liked that the older versions of the stat priorities always contained spirit with the mentioned reservations.

Moreover, in Warlords spirit has been buffed significantly and is limited to a few slots. On trinkets especially you have to make a very influential choice between throughput trinkets or regeneration trinkets, but also with regards to other slots such as what legendary ring to pursue. Someone new to a class may see spirit only mentioned in the more advanced section and think spirit isn't important for him, when it plays a key role as you're gearing up and getting to know a spec.

Guest Shade

Am i the only one noticing the reviewer of this topic is actualy a "Holy" priest?

Guest Fatwhacker

A few things: at early gear levels in wod, Haste should have a pretty high priority since your mastery and crit numbers are so low as to be comical. Once you've gotten to ilvl 630 or so, crit and mastery retake their top tier spots.

Also, spirit is necessary only insofar as a buffer for poor spell choice; with baseline spirit, you can spam heal all day long. Only when using flash heal repeatedly does mana become an issue. I'm sure this will change in raids where the fights last longer, but I can start heroic bosses at 30 percent mana and still not run out through proper heal selection.

Thanks for your guide. I wondering about a few things though:

- I'm having mana issues (ilvl 640, but missing Spirit on a lot of pieces) in Challenge mode 5-mans, which I assume will get worse in raids. Not sure trading mana for Penance-on-the-move makes sense: for that to be useful, it requires sort of a perfect storm: 1- Priest must be forced to keep moving 2- someone must be dying 3- that someone must already have Weakened soul. That combination does happen, but a lot less often than my having to try and save mana. What do others think ?

- You say Prayer of Healing always beats Divine Star. Sure in 5-mans. But in raids, won't DS's raid-aware healing edge out PoH cumbersome group-based one, and Cascade's need for distance ? I'm thinking we might want to double-check for fights with a tightly packed raid and uneven damage (dots...). I used to swap those 3 talents a lot in SoO, I think that'll still happen. Very situational.

- Is Archangel still that important ? I find I'm having trouble finding time to really take advantage of it, and I begrudge the time spent casting Holy Fire. What do others think ?

- I *am* running with the PoH glyph, because the tank always can use more healing, while the raid is not always taking progressive damage (ie, PoM bounces get wasted). As you say, that's situational, a few fights do feature low-intensity raid-wide permanent AOE.

Edited by Thoy

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      An overview of seven new Essences coming to the game in Visions of N'Zoth.
      Note that some tooltips may display incorrect values. Essences are subject to change at any time during Patch 8.3 testing.
      Unwavering Ward
      Rank 1
      Major Power: Guardian Shell - Release 12 protective spheres outward over 4 sec, granting the first ally to touch it a barrier that absorbs 888 damage for 10 sec. Minor Power: Unwavering Ward - Every 10 sec, allies with 15 yds gain a shield that absorbs 109 damage, stacking up to 409. Unique: Corruption reduced by 10. Rank 2
      Major Power: Guardian Shell - Each time you send out a protective sphere, gain an absorb shield for 2% of your maximum health that stacks. Minor Power: Unwavering Ward - Absorption can stack up to 20% higher. Rank 3
      Major Power: Guardian Shell - Each sphere consumed heals you and the ally for 0. Minor Power: Unwavering Ward - Protected targets take 3% reduced damage. Spirit of Preservation
      Rank 1
      Major Power: Spirit of Preservation - Channel a beam of energy onto an ally, healing them for 5,256 over 3 sec. Minor Power: Devout Spirit - Every 5 sec, gain Saving Vigil, causing your next Quick Heal to heal for an additional 42, stacking up to 3 times. Rank 2
      Major Power: Spirit of Preservation - Allies in the beam are healed for 219 every 0.6 sec. Minor Power: Devout Spirit - Saving Vigil can now stack up to 5 times. Rank 3
      Major Power: Spirit of Preservation - Gain 1 stack of Devout Spirit each time the beam heals its primary target. Minor Power: Devout Spirit - Each stack of Saving Vigil consumed increases the critical strike chance of your next Quick Heal within 6 sec by 20%. Touch of the Everlasting
      Rank 1
      Major Power: Touch of the Everlasting - Your next death is prevented, and you instead regenerate to 20% of your maximum health and take 85% reduced damage for 3 sec. Cannot occur more often than once per 10 min. Minor Power: Will to Survive - When you fall below 35% health, gain 0 Avoidance for 15 sec, and your next Active Mitigation will last 30% longer. This can only occur once every 1.5 min. Rank 2
      Major Power: Touch of the Everlasting - When Touch of the Everlasting saves you from death, regenerate to 40% of maximum health. Minor Power: Will to Survive - The minor effect of Touch of the Everlasting can now occur every 60 sec. Rank 3
      Major Power: Touch of the Everlasting - When Touch of the Everlasting saves you from death, the cooldown of Shield Wall is reset. Minor Power: Will to Survive - Increases the duration bonus of Active Mitigation by an additional 20%. Strength of the Warden 
      Rank 1
      Major Power: Vigilant Protector - Taunt all nearby enemies, forcing them to attack you for 6 sec. Minor Power: Endurance - Every 2 sec, store 76 healing, up to a maximum of [ 10% of Total Health ]. When you dodge or parry an attack, heal for all stored healing. Rank 2
      Major Power: Vigilant Protector - When you activate Vigilant Protector, gain 15% dodge for 6 sec. Minor Power: Endurance - Accumulate 25% additional healing every 2 sec. Rank 3
      Major Power: Vigilant Protector - Deal 50% additional damage to targets affected by your Vigilant Protector. Minor Power: Endurance - The maximum health of all Tank specialization players in your party or raid is increased by 3%. This effect stacks. Breath of the Dying
      Rank 1
      Major Power: Reaping Flames - Burn your target with a bolt of Azerite, dealing 1,481 Fire damage. If the target has less than 20% health, the cooldown is reduced by 30 sec. Minor Power: Lethal Strikes - Your spells and abilities have a chance to strike your target for 300 Fire damage. Unique: Corruption reduced by 10. Rank 2
      Major Power: Reaping Flames - Virtuous Assault now also has a reduced cooldown if the target is above 80% health. Minor Power: Lethal Strikes - You heal for 50% of the damage dealt by Virtuous Assault. Rank 3
      Major Power: Reaping Flames - If Reaping Flames kills an enemy, its cooldown is reset and it will deal 100% increased damage on the next cast. Minor Power: Lethal Strikes - Virtuous Assault happens 400% more frequently against targets below 20% health. Spark of Inspiration
      Rank 1
      Major Power: Moment of Glory - Release a wave of energy from your Heart of Azeroth, increasing the damage all party members within 15 yds deal with Azerite Essences by 45% for the next 10 sec. Minor Power: Unified Strength - Your spells and abilities have a chance to increase your Haste by 0 and reduce the cooldown of your currently slotted Major Essence by 1.0 sec. Unique: Corruption reduced by 10. Rank 2
      Major Power: Moment of Glory - Increase the duration of Moment of Glory by 10 sec. Minor Power: Unified Strength - Unified Strength now affects 1 additional ally. Rank 3
      Major Power: Moment of Glory - Moment of Glory now also increases your Speed by 0. Minor Power: Unified Strength - Unified Strength now affects 1 additional ally. The Formless Void
      Rank 1
      Major Power: Replica of Knowledge - Replicate the energy in your target's Heart of Azeroth, gaining access to rank 1 of their currently slotted Major Essence for the next 15 sec. The Formless Void will go on cooldown for 50% longer than the base cooldown of the Essence you replicated. Does not work on passive Essences. Minor Power: Symbiotic Presence - Each time any ally within 40 yds uses an Azerite Essence, gain 89 pri for 20 sec. Unique: Corruption reduced by 10. Rank 2
      Major Power: Replica of Knowledge - Replica of Knowledge can now copy up to rank 2 of your target's current Major Essence, and the increased cooldown is lowered by 10%. Minor Power: Symbiotic Presence - pri bonus increased by 25%. Rank 3
      Major Power: Replica of Knowledge - Replica of Knowledge can now copy up to rank 3 of your target's current Major Essence, and the increased cooldown is lowered by 10%. Minor Power: Symbiotic Presence - When an ally within 40 yds uses an Azerite Essence, you and that ally gain 0 Haste for 20 sec. Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview Initial Ny'alotha Raid Testing: October 11th Seven new Essences will be added to the game in Visions of N'Zoth.
    • By Stan
      Our preview of mounts added in World of Warcraft's forthcoming content update continues with the Aqir flying mount.
      Who are the Aqir?
      Aqir Flying Mount
      The source of the mount remains unknown for now. Do you think it will be drop from N'Zoth on Mythic Difficulty?

Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Ny'alotha Plate Sets Preview Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 N'Zoth Serpet Mount in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview Ny'alotha Raid Testing: October 17th & 18th
    • By Starym
      It's time for more boss tests in Ny'alotha, the Waking City, as Wrathion, Maut, Skitra and Ra-den all get some action on heroic difficulty this Thursday and Friday.
      Raid Testing (source)
      On Thursday, October 17th and Friday, October 18th, we will be continuing our raid tests in Ny’alotha, the Waking City.
      Thursday, October 17th
      Wrathion, the Black Emperor - Heroic Ny’alotha, the Waking City
      13:00 PDT (16:00 EDT, 22:00 CEST)
      Maut - Heroic Ny’alotha, the Waking City
      14:00 PDT (17:00 EDT, 23:00 CEST)
      Friday, October 18th
      The Prophet Skitra - Heroic Ny’alotha, the Waking City
      13:00 PDT (16:00 EDT, 22:00 CEST)
      Ra-den the Despoiled - Heroic Ny’alotha, the Waking City
      14:00 PDT (17:00 EDT, 23:00 CEST)
      As always, this testing schedule is very fluid and subject to the realities of a test environment. We might have to change the time of a testing session, change the bosses being tested, or cancel a test entirely, due to bugs, server hardware issues, etc. Keep an eye on this forum for the latest information, and thank you in advance for testing and providing feedback.
      Q: How do I get into the raid zone?
      A: In Zuldazar, Boralus, Dalaran, Orgrimmar, or Stormwind, you may speak to Nexus-Lord Donjon Rade III in order to teleport into the raid zone while it is open for testing. (The option to teleport into a zone will not be available when the zone is not open for testing.)
      Q: What character should I use to test the raid?
      A: Whichever you prefer. We will be scaling players’ effective level to 120 for raid testing, and their item level to an appropriate threshold for the encounter(s) being tested.
      Q: How long does testing last?
      A: The primary purpose of testing is to give us the information we need to balance the encounters, evaluate how mechanics are playing out in practice, and identify bugs. Once we’re satisfied that we’ve received that information for a given boss, we’ll be shutting down testing. Usually this takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, but there are no guarantees.
      Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 N'Zoth Serpet Mount in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview
    • By Stan
      As is usual with every raid tier, we're looking at the sets found within Ny'alotha in Visions of N'Zoth, starting with Plate!
      Plate Sets from Ny'alotha, the Waking City
      Raid Finder

Normal Difficulty

Heroic Difficulty

Mythic Difficulty

Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 N'Zoth Serpet Mount in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview
    • By Stan
      Today, we're looking at another mount coming in Patch 8.3 called N'Zoth Serpent which drops from Adherent of the Abyss found in Stormsong Valley.
      N'Zoth Serpent (Dark)
      The mount name is just a placeholder and will be renamed in a future 8.3 build.

FlyRun Animation

Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview