FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
6ROWN

New Playing Seeking Advice

Edit: title should read New Player Seeking Advice

Hey guys,

I'm new to Hearthstone, and pretty new to card games in general. Been playing for about 2 weeks now (I realize this is nothing, but I want to get on the right track before I play into bad habits)

I currently try to watch streamers often, I look up constructed decks to get ideas and read guides online. I feel like I cannot make any progress towards getting better. I have all my classes past level 10 and my mage is level 24 now. I bought about 10 card parks and I've opened probably 8 more through arena by now so I have SOME decent cards and I feel as if that should be enough to do OK in my rank (rank 18).

I realize my losses are completely due to playing sub-optimally and a bit of it may be from playing against superior decks/players. 

I need to know how to make proper notes. I don't know what I should be writing down when playing. I feel completely overwhelmed by this game. I realize I'm going to learn the game and know all of the cards eventually, but I don't know how I'm going to make it to that point while getting shut down by other players so hard and so often. It's very discouraging.

How did all of you get through this learning curve? I don't get enough info while watching streamers. It helps some but it's not enough. The guides are all good, but they don't answer the right questions. 

Thanks for your time and appreciate any help.

If you're gonna sh*t talk me and call me a scrub, lol @ u 

Edited by 6ROWN

1. Loving the slutbag tag xD

2. A lot of my understanding of the game came from watching trumps f2p series as he is playing with the same sort cards that I had and you will have now I often copyed these decks excatly and tired playing them myself and because the only thing that could fail me now was my own decision making not a deck I slowly got better and better at making decisions when you do get the cards I would advise playing a lot of agro decks like zoo and hunter, this is because while some people say they are mindless (their not) they give you a great understanding of trading and when to attack face which I huge useful to understand.

3. Arena I say arena simply because it lets you try cards you don't have and though this you can understand what cards are strong I useful with other cards ( though be warned some cards that at great in constructed suck in arena so I would Advise either using trumps or icy veins arena drafting list's) as well as improving your understanding of how useful board control is, also playing arena gets you packs which is always nice ^^

4. Play the game

As it sounds just play the game and you will improve. I have been playing for about 3 months now and I'm rank 2 and I just played the game, at the start I mainly played just to get more packs from my quests I between league games but then I started to get a good understanding and because of that I really enjoyed the game.

Welp I hope these tips help you, I learnt these as I went along and I'm sure you will more yourself for now enjoy the game and it will come ^^

• Like 1

I've been watching some Trump f2p videos and you're right they are amazing and teach you how to play. I learned so much today and I've already drastically improved my play and deck building. Thanks so much!

Before playing Hearthstone, I played Magic the Gathering (MTG for short) and Yu-gi-oh!.  These games me the feel for card games. Card games is mostly about logic. . . and luck. You need to determine what your opponent might be playing next, and what you will draw next (resist the temptation of saying a certain phrase sleep.png  ).

What you can do, is go to Heathhead and create/login account, and start adding the cards you have to "Your Collection" (note: use the filters in-game). From there on you can go check up on some decks you can use by making a filter for "My Crafting Cost" and set the inequality ( "<=" or "<") to your Arcane dust + 200.

• Like 1

The biggest mistake I notice from beginner players, and sometimes even myself when I haven't played in a while, is not taking advantage of everything you could have done on your turn. The little things like making sure you attacked with everything you could have attacked with, and using your hero ability if you have leftover mana and nothing to spend it on, could easily make the difference of winning or losing later in the game.

After that the next thing you need to learn is the meta game. Meta game in a way is a very vague concept, and it's something you'll only learn through experience. But meta game is essentially learning how to plan 2-3 turns ahead much like a master chess player. Is your deck built in such a way that you should start playing everything from the first turn and go for the 5-6 turn kill? If your opponent controls your early onslaught what can you do to finish the win? are you playing more of a control deck that will react to your opponents moves until you find an opening to strike? Maybe you're playing a deck that just tries to squeak by the early game until you can unleash a devastating 1 turn kill on the 10th turn, but how will you survive against a fast deck to unleash that combo in the late game? You'll learn from experience what game style you like best and you'll start building custom decks around it, and as you play more you'll learn how to read an opponents play style, and adapt your own play style to counter theirs. This is the meta game.

• Like 1

One thing that has helped me with deck builds, tweaks and play style is paying attention to how a short string of 3-5 games felt. It doesn't sound very scientific, but you can key off of how a few games feel to make changes to your deck and/or play.

For example:

1. It felt like I never had quite enough damage to kill them before they killed me.

You could remedy this by adding in some larger late game threats like Boulderfist Ogre or War Golem, or you could try to save your direct damage spells (Frostbolt, Fireball) for later in the game to burst the opponent down.

2. It felt like the opponent built their board quickly and I couldn't recover.

This could be fixed either by adding more low cost minions in order to match the opponent's speed, or by adding low cost removal spells to slow down the opponent and gain greater control of the board.

3. Later in the game it felt like I could never use all of my mana crystals.

This is often due to a lack of card draw. You can either add more card draw to your deck, or try to replace some of your low cost cards with higher cost cards to make it harder to empty your hand early on.

• Like 1

there's 2 things I've recently started to do which have helped me improve a little (and a lot in specific cases).  These are:

1) download & run Hearthstone Tracker.  Fill in the info on your decks  & then just start it up right after you start Hearthstone & and let it do it's thing in the background.  Just let it minimize to your desktop tray & let it run as long as you're playing.  It keeps track of all the key stats in your matches.  For instance, if you run a particular deck it will tell you how successful it has been against each of the classes.  Or, do you really think that the changes in a deck have helped?  Name it slightly different from ithe previous build & you can find out (over several games) if it really has helped you against a pesky class/style.  It's also nice to look at your overall total win/losses, and then break that down into particular time eras, so you can see if you actually have a growth trend or you are taking a nosedive for some reason.

2) download & run a video recorder when you are in an actual match.  No real need to take notes on the playy, since after the game you can look at the playback & maybe see where you made a mistake that set you up for an ultimate loss.  Or, you can watch the particular steps your opponent took to set up their winning strategy, and how they countered & diffused whatever attacks you brought to bear.  I have found that simply knowing that I am recording the match tends to improve my own memory for the various steps.  It has also changed my ideas about particular cards and whether they were worth taking up valuable space in a deck.

Both the above programs (both free too BTW) have cleared up a lot of fuzziness about what I'm doing.  

It tends to deflate me when I get an attack of "yeah, man... I'm the next world wonder!" (which unfortunately don't happen enough, since it does feel good, no matter how misguided).

It also tends to counter a lot of the gloom & wtf  "why even try?" stuff I get into when it seems like everyone and their dog are vastly better than I am.  Also, the recording usually will show why I'm not making much progress at the moment.  

I guess that it always just takes some time to learn stuff to the point where most of it is automatic choices.