FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
positiv2

Season of Discovery Tank Enhancement Shaman

Guest SilkyNR

There's Paladin abilities on the Stat priority page instead of Shaman. 

7 hours ago, Guest SilkyNR said:

There's Paladin abilities on the Stat priority page instead of Shaman. 

Thanks for catching this! An update will be deployed to fix this very soon.

Guest Better belt

There are 2 better belts. Deviate Scale Belt and from Isha Awak quest (Beastmaster's Girdle)

Guest The Real Thrall

The guy who wrote this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Points in lightning shield? The hell?

21 hours ago, Guest Better belt said:

There are 2 better belts. Deviate Scale Belt and from Isha Awak quest (Beastmaster's Girdle)

Hey! I agree - as we've come to find that shaman threat isn't an issue there should be a bigger focus on becoming tanky compared to a more threat focused build which was why I recommended the belt that I did, but I am updating this list to reflect this change here soon.

1 hour ago, Guest The Real Thrall said:

The guy who wrote this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Points in lightning shield? The hell?

I'm sorry that you feel that way, the points in lightning shield can lead to a pretty significant threat/damage boost on bosses that consistently melee, which unfortunately is only really the last boss in BFD. I do agree though that those points can be spent elsehwere, somewhere like Anticipation or even going deeper into Elemental to try for Elemental Warding.

5 hours ago, Guest Windstorm hammer said:

Hey! Unfortunately the item was updated to this level requirement, but the item previously didn't have this level requirement and the quest was able to be completed at 25 in classic. The list has now been updated to reflect this, I'm sorry that this change has negatively impacted you though.

Guest SinR

Where do I even want to start?

Rockbiter does not generate nature damage.  Its *NOT* Seal of Righteousness.  Rockbiter, Molten Blast, and Earth Shock are *NOT* Holy Damage.  Rockbiter increases your AP by X and makes melee hits do additional threat.  Molten Blast is Fire Damage and Earth Shock is Nature damage.

Shaman Tank does not need Defense Stat as a priority.  It helps their Dodge and their Block (and eventually parry) but doesn't contribute to being uncrittable which Way of the Earth does naturally which is far more important.

Earth Shock is on its own separate cooldown from Flame Shock so there's no need to "Alternate" between the two.  I'm unsure if spamming Earth Shock will eventually put mobs on taunt DR's

SHAMAN DO NOT HAVE PLATE GEAR AND WILL NEVER HAVE PLATE GEAR.

Stop referencing level 26+ things like Windfury Totem and Totem Twisting.  Save that stuff on a text file for when SoD goes up to 40/50/60.

I'm beginning to think an AI wrote this, or the original author has never actually played a Shaman before.

7 hours ago, Guest SinR said:

Where do I even want to start?

Rockbiter does not generate nature damage.  Its *NOT* Seal of Righteousness.  Rockbiter, Molten Blast, and Earth Shock are *NOT* Holy Damage.  Rockbiter increases your AP by X and makes melee hits do additional threat.  Molten Blast is Fire Damage and Earth Shock is Nature damage.

Shaman Tank does not need Defense Stat as a priority.  It helps their Dodge and their Block (and eventually parry) but doesn't contribute to being uncrittable which Way of the Earth does naturally which is far more important.

Earth Shock is on its own separate cooldown from Flame Shock so there's no need to "Alternate" between the two.  I'm unsure if spamming Earth Shock will eventually put mobs on taunt DR's

SHAMAN DO NOT HAVE PLATE GEAR AND WILL NEVER HAVE PLATE GEAR.

Stop referencing level 26+ things like Windfury Totem and Totem Twisting.  Save that stuff on a text file for when SoD goes up to 40/50/60.

I'm beginning to think an AI wrote this, or the original author has never actually played a Shaman before.

Yeah the initial version of the guide really isn't what we were aiming for, working on revamping it as we speak, check again this night or tomorrow! 🙂

Guest Skubbz

I got this forum link directly from [email protected].

To the Shaman Tank Guide Writer. 

Your guide is wrong. You claim shaman tanks do not have the mana or damage to hold threat. When a Shaman Tank that prioritizes caster gear with Stam&Int. You have no mana problems, can hold threat against max geared Warriors, Rogues, and Hunters. 

My shaman tank solo tanks BFD each week with my guild. We have done 7man successfully with 1 healer and 1 tank, me. 

When you have more intellect your blocks give more mana per block, resulting in a sweet spot of intellect where you can constantly get refunded your mana to use on a threat rotation.

I believe the shaman guide writer has not yet tested or taken into account caster shaman tanks, until the guide writer can test sp sham tanks the guide is obsolete and wrong. 

Stat priority. Stam > Int > Str > Agi

A shaman tank doesn't need +spell power and actually +atk power is better if compared directly with sp. The gear you want though, the gear with Stam & Int has Sp on it.

To some it up, shamans are hands down the best tanks in P1 of SoD. If I made the tier list Shamans would be (SS) and Warriors would be (A). 

A warrior tank cannot solo tank BFD due to the threat generation with a shield being very limited, and midigation without a shield being to very squishy. 

Test please. Playtest and update the guide with you findings.

9 hours ago, Guest Skubbz said:

I got this forum link directly from [email protected].

To the Shaman Tank Guide Writer. 

Your guide is wrong. You claim shaman tanks do not have the mana or damage to hold threat. When a Shaman Tank that prioritizes caster gear with Stam&Int. You have no mana problems, can hold threat against max geared Warriors, Rogues, and Hunters. 

My shaman tank solo tanks BFD each week with my guild. We have done 7man successfully with 1 healer and 1 tank, me. 

When you have more intellect your blocks give more mana per block, resulting in a sweet spot of intellect where you can constantly get refunded your mana to use on a threat rotation.

I believe the shaman guide writer has not yet tested or taken into account caster shaman tanks, until the guide writer can test sp sham tanks the guide is obsolete and wrong. 

Stat priority. Stam > Int > Str > Agi

A shaman tank doesn't need +spell power and actually +atk power is better if compared directly with sp. The gear you want though, the gear with Stam & Int has Sp on it.

To some it up, shamans are hands down the best tanks in P1 of SoD. If I made the tier list Shamans would be (SS) and Warriors would be (A). 

A warrior tank cannot solo tank BFD due to the threat generation with a shield being very limited, and midigation without a shield being to very squishy. 

Test please. Playtest and update the guide with you findings.

Thanks for your feedback. Shaman is indeed a great tank, which is why my colleague Impakt put it just below Warrior in the tier list, but Warrior is just as if not more tanky and does considerably more damage, being the main choice for speed running groups of 1-tank on Horde as you can see in warcraftlogs:

image.png

image.png

So if anything both would be similarly good, but nothing really points out towards Shaman being incredibly better than Warrior in any way, shape, or form, for current top end content BFD 10 man raiding.

I'd agree that any mention that says Shaman cannot tank well due to Mana issues is wrong in the current meta, but that is more down to people dragging many enemies together and fights being extremely short, thus giving Mana on block value that it wouldn't have in long single target encounters, where even a lot of extra Intellect would only take you so far.

Threat won't be an issue for Shamans at all regardless of Mana right now anyway since you can always swap to dual-wield Rockbiter for a crazy threat multiplier, at which point even auto-attacks alone are more than enough to keep threat.

So essentially Intellect is fine if you can find gear with other good stats on it to use, otherwise I'd stick to what is recommended on the guide as is since Spell Power usually comes along and is pretty bad compared to more melee-oriented stats like Str Agi and AP. Maybe we'll have better tanking pieces with Intellect on them in the next phase, but for now its mostly a wash, unfortunately!