Berothius

Alter Time POM interaction

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys first time poster short time reader... haha

Anyway, I'm not near, my computer with WoW installed to test this, but was just struck with this thought. Can Alter Time be used to cast an instant cast pyro twice every 3 minutes? I'm not sure how POM works at the moment, but it use to apply a buff that caused your next spell to be instant cast, so if you pop POM then Alter Time can you get that buff back after Alter Time expires?

It should be fine to do that once you get a Pyroblast! proc since Pyroblast! doesn't have a cast time. You should be able to get something like LB>FB spam til Pyroblast!>POM>Trinkets/Lifeblood/Potion>Pyroblast!>POM Pyro>FB>FB>POM Pyro>Combustion. I can't even imagine how much dps that would be...

Just saw this post and wanted to test ASAP. Yes! You can use PoM then alter time to get 2x PoM Pyros!

EDIT: When you get Pyroblast! if you use PoM afterwards then casting Pyroblast will NOT consume your PoM buff!! So you could get (effectively) 4 instant pyroblasts with your strat!

Edited by midgettoes

That's a very interesting thought, thank you for sharing it! I'll make sure to include it in my Fire Mage guide ;)

I'm trying this as frost (since that is the only spec I am running right now) and think I might need to wait til after raid to test this. I just can not tell if it adds any sort of boost for me.

Will report back

~Sage

After some testing using a simple macro:

#showtooltip/cast Presence of Mind/cast Alter Time

I've found [as frost] that the best way I can make use of this would be to cast Frost Bomb, and Freeze, then save the charge for a moment while FB explodes. Upon explosion, press the macro then press FFB twice, IL once (or twice), then press the macro again and repeat for decent burst. Overall, I think it seems much more powerful on fire's end with the four pyros in a row, but if you can get 2xFoF with the BF then it really rivals fire's 4xpyro.

~Sage

After some testing using a simple macro:

#showtooltip/cast Presence of Mind/cast Alter Time

I've found [as frost] that the best way I can make use of this would be to cast Frost Bomb, and Freeze, then save the charge for a moment while FB explodes. Upon explosion, press the macro then press FFB twice, IL once (or twice), then press the macro again and repeat for decent burst. Overall, I think it seems much more powerful on fire's end with the four pyros in a row, but if you can get 2xFoF with the BF then it really rivals fire's 4xpyro.

~Sage

Very rarely do I actually get a quad-pyro out of this combo (in PvE). Realistically, I'm using this within the first 15-20 seconds of the fight at the same time I'm popping my trinkets/heroism/beserking/etc and so don't want to wait for a Pyroblast! proc before doing so. It still garuantees a double pyroblast though, and you can get lucky sometimes!

Well I found that if I wanted some extra burst at the start of a fight [with a dumdumdummy] then when I had a Hot Streak up I used the macro, and then pressed my pyro button twice and it pumped out two pyros, then I pressed the macro again and I pumped out two more pyros.

I didn't test it beyond that, but you could certainly get more pyros if things crit while in your "hot time-pocket"

:>

~Sage

Edited by Sagetastic

Looks like this mass pyroblast is getting shot out of the water in patch 5.1 with the 3 sec CD on pyroblast. So I guess, enjoy using this trick while you can, but don't get too reliant on it :P

@Damian, you may wish to update the mage guide that this will no longer be necessary to chain 2 (let alone 4) pyros like this after the patch :(

Looks like this mass pyroblast is getting shot out of the water in patch 5.1 with the 3 sec CD on pyroblast. So I guess, enjoy using this trick while you can, but don't get too reliant on it Posted Image

@Damian, you may wish to update the mage guide that this will no longer be necessary to chain 2 (let alone 4) pyros like this after the patch Posted Image

Yeah I heard about that last night while doing some random heroics and playing with my 4xpyro combo.

I considered swapping back to frost so I wouldn't miss this fun little nugget, but tis better to have loved and lost than never loved at all right?

At least I still have my BF+2xFoF version after the patch. Harder to pull off, but I like it.

~Sage